Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

M2010 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, before the recruitment freeze how long did you have to wait between campaigns before you were allowed to reapply?

I'm applying to another force at the minute and hoping that it I don't get through their recruitment process, I will be eligible to apply to the psni when they open next year.

A friend of mine applied in every campaign the PSNI had, though that was probably due to 50/50. If they don't run 50/50 this time it will probably be the usual 6 months gap.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    2 years.... what date did the last recruitment close?

TBH I am just clutching at straws I think.

Hate the thought of having to do the process again when I passed it all last time and came so close.

My vetting passed in Feb 2011 so it hasnt been a year yet.

The freeze came in place in September 2010, but if your vetting passed in Feb 2011, then they will have your records until Feb 2013 I would assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Goonerdee wrote: »
    The freeze came in place in September 2010, but if your vetting passed in Feb 2011, then they will have your records until Feb 2013 I would assume.

As I say I am clutching at straws, but I will keep hoping my prayers are answered. :D

I got a personal email responded to from PSNI's external appointments, and they said late 2014 at the absolute earliest, almost without doubt.

And when they do 'recruit', you can bet that they will take all transferees first, and you can bet that there will be a VERY small number recruited from the civilian population.

I've pretty much given up hope tbh :(

Can someone PM me the email for ex-appointments please?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

I would say taking candidates from last last campaign for next year's intake is highly unlikely. 50/50 is over, they must create a new 'non-50/50' merit list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

I know they wouldn't, but if they are thrifty with the cash they could save on a recruitment campaign and recruit from a previous list! Probably better for me to start again anyway as my merit number left a lot to be desired last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

It's been a long time since I added anything to this forum, since I was successful in C16, and have been only a mere spectator since then. I have it on excellent account, and I mean EXCELLENT, that there will be recruitment in 2013 with anticipated appointments of student officers in being made in early 2014. The successful candidates will more than likely be the last students to study and live in Garnerville, ad the new college will open in 2015. There's no word on how many positions will on offer, but I'm sure that in time such information will become known.
    So all you aspiring constables should start getting ready so that when the campaign begins, you'll be able to give it everything you have to be successful in obtaining what is 'the best job in the world'.
    Don't listen to the doom and bloomers about the masses of paperwork. Sure, there's a bit of that, but you'll soon learn to master that end of the job. It's a brilliant job which is very well paid!! Give it everything you've got when recruitment commences!! It's worth the torment that a campaign brings upon those participating in it.

Take it from me....THERE WILL BE A RECRUITMENT CAMPAIGN IN 2013.....!!!

I hope this assuages the anxiety of some of you boardies who have been frustrated in past campaigns, and who have waited patiently for the next recruitment campaign!! Your wait is nearly over.

Roll on 2013-:)

Thanks for your post!!

Have you any knowledge in any of the recommendations like driving license?

:cool::cool:

2 years.... what date did the last recruitment close?

TBH I am just clutching at straws I think.

Hate the thought of having to do the process again when I passed it all last time and came so close.

My vetting passed in Feb 2011 so it hasnt been a year yet.

Well, dont ask me how, but I had it confirmed they wont use the last merit list.

Back to square one for me then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Well, dont ask me how, but I had it confirmed they wont use the last merit list.

Back to square one for me then. :(

Don't worry about it, you got that before you will get there again ! Easy :cool:

You also have the upper hand on us first timers applying, we have 0 experience of how the system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Don't worry about it, you got that before you will get there again ! Easy :cool:

You also have the upper hand on us first timers applying, we have 0 experience of how the system works.

Will they introduce a requirement for a driving license do ye think?

:cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Will they introduce a requirement for a driving license do ye think?

:cool::cool::cool:

Just a rumour I had heard, and as shown on here, my rumours have a good success rate. :D

A lot of jobs require you to have a driving license to fulfil the JD.

Did you hear anything about it having to be clean- also do you need any extra classes for say the van or tangis?

Did you hear anything about it having to be clean- also do you need any extra classes for say the van or tangis?

No sorry I didn't. I don't think 3 points would cause much alarm, but anything more serious would prob not be too helpful.

I would doubt you would need any other classes. You don't drive anything other than a car during your training afaik.

In relation to any driving licence requirement; it's unlikely. As I've said, the PSNI don't really have a carte blanche to ask for certain pre-requisite qualifications like a private company would. This is because the Police Federation must (in practice) give their approval for such changes. There has been no discussion about the driver's licence issue because it is part of the Winsor report which is not in force in NI and is a bit of a dirty word where the Police Fed is concerned.

As for points, the Police aren't interested in most motoring offences (like speeding) when it comes to recruitment.

On a personal note, I think it's pretty ridiculous that people can join the Police without a driving licence and it certainly puts you at a disadvantage once you finish training for a number of reasons. I'd urge anyone thinking of joining to slap the 'L' plates on!

Giggity, yes, you need C1 on your licence to drive a Tangi.

@Canyon86
    You have plenty of time to achieve the B licence at least, if its a case you do become a recruit, it wont be good having to depend on friends, family and colleagues to cart you around. :pac:

Anyone have experience of placing FOI requests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

To my near-certain knowledge vetting clearance lapses after 12 months - thus anyone who cleared vetting last time will have to endure again !

Following on from the links to PSNI sourcing transfers in the other thread does this mean that recruitment wont be happening for us with no experience/

Any one with any information?

Someone asked on one of the PSNI facebook pages if there was going to be recruitment and an officer replied yes, though it would be late 2013, early 2014. Cant remember which facebook page it was.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Someone asked on one of the PSNI facebook pages if there was going to be recruitment and an officer replied yes, though it would be late 2013, early 2014. Cant remember which facebook page it was.

Keep it in mind that was more than likely only a rumour too, it could be earlier.
    I'm guessing it wont take long to put the transferred officers through their extra training and familiarization.

• Advertisement

I'm finding it difficult to remain optimistic when the PSNI use stealth recruitment again to recruit people from elsewhere and dont even mention it on their website-

Yes there are financial costs with starting a recruitment campaign but it will be money going directly into the local economy - hotel / venue fees, role players wages, Deloitte staff wages, and employment for Northern Ireland are all additional pluses instead of shipping people in from elsewhere who may just decide to leave again when they decide they liked England better!

I think they should give both groups a fair chance at the job and open for public recruitment also!

Following on from the links to PSNI sourcing transfers in the other thread does this mean that recruitment wont be happening for us with no experience/

Any one with any information?

I think it will happen, but the transfers will no doubt affect the numbers recruited through the new campaign IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

Garda reserves can hardly transfer to PSNI can they?

Adverts have been seen on the UK mainland advertising for transferees to the PSNI. Perhaps this suggests a smaller external intake.

B2deF wrote: »
    Garda reserves can hardly transfer to PSNI can they?

Nope don't think so, different law system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Itwasme

Gardai can and have transferred to the Psni. There are only a few and for obvious reasons they keep their heads down, but they are all doing very well. The only drawback is they cannot transfer their pension and it is most definitely a one way ticket. They do the same course as the evacuees from Britain (5 weeks). This latest recruitment should be open to them, the last one was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

They can't transfer. They have to leave AGS and apply to join as a Student Officer. There are exceptions like transfer schemes, but these are just temporary. I have no idea where you get your information from, but you are mistaken if you are suggesting that they can simply make a lateral move. They must start at the bottom and do the entire SOTP and ODP before they can become operational.
    Itwasme wrote: »
    Gardai can and have transferred to the Psni. There are only a few and for obvious reasons they keep their heads down, but they are all doing very well. The only drawback is they cannot transfer their pension and it is most definitely a one way ticket. They do the same course as the evacuees from Britain (5 weeks). This latest recruitment should be open to them, the last one was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Itwasme

I suggest you get off your platform and you go check your facts. Its called a secondment not a temporary transfer scheme. As you stated you've no idea where my info is from. Did it cross your mind to think that this may not be just info but actual experience? Your basing your opinion and on your lack of knowledge. I know they must resign hence the reason it's a one way ticket and no pension transfer. So check with Garnerville and see if your as quick with an apology as you are with discounting someone's knowledge and experience!

Provided the Garda has completed their probationary period and they take up employment with the police immediately (ie resign on friday and start on sunday) they ONLY have do the same ECC as con's from Britian. They have never had to do any ODP or SOTP

Moderator Note: This post has received a warning, so no further comments on this post please and thanks. Shield

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I know very well that members of AGS can apply to go on Secondments, but it is a temporary assignment. I don't need you to tell me it's called a secondment. I've known that word exists for a while.

I stand by my comments in the above post but it might be helpful to clarify some important points:

There exists 2 schemes or programs or whatever you want to call them, which allow Gardai to either go on an Exchange without policing powers which can last for a few months up to a year. The other scheme is a Secondment which is an operational gig. Presently this is only available to those with rank of Sergeant to either Superintendent or Chief Superintendent, but again this is limited to a maximum of 3 years.

There is 1 other scheme and it is not a Secondment. It's a Patten thing, and it requires members of AGS to LEAVE the force and their pensions until they retire. From what I've heard in my station, nobody has elected to LEAVE (not transfer, leave) AGS and take Patten up on this offer, and their pension to join this 3rd scheme which is only available to either Inspectors or Chief Inspectors and up. The reason I didn't refer to this was because you can't be a Rank & File Garda and transfer in to the PSNI. I don't want to mention the username of the Garda on here who gave the exchange scheme a go unless they want to go public, but the word I got back was that the Garda enjoyed the experience, which was a real eye-opener IIRC.

So now that we are back on the Go square, it turns out that my post made at 20:57 on 15/12/12 was entirely true and accurate. Constables from GB forces can transfer in, but unfortunately members of AGS cannot. They must leave the force and their pension and start afresh like any newbie, as opposed to those who are eligible to transfer, and are allowed to bring their pension. So now that we all understand that "transfer" means moving X from A to B without any changes, it is very clear that because a small degree of change is involved for members of AGS who join the PSNI (rank permitting), it is grammatically incorrect to use the word "transfer", which has the potential of giving false hope to those AGS members who are patiently waiting for a new campaign.

Moderator Comment:
    @Itwasme: I don't like your tone. It is unnecessarily going on the offensive over a trivial thing, and going overboard in the process, while at the same time posting in an unacceptable aloof and patronising manner. If you had addressed any forum regular in that manner, you'd be receiving your first infraction point on your profile. However, I am prepared to let you off with a warning to change your posting style in this forum, or we won't be enjoying your company for long.

Already I have had to fend off a negative comment from a forum regular regarding your posting style this morning, so take the warning on the chin, and if you are new to internet forums, this useful video will help you understand how internet forums work. As with all Moderator comments, neither you nor any other poster may discuss this comment on-thread. If you wish to comment on my typings, drop me a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DirtyLeeds88

Many people from down south going to apply/already serving?, thinking bout going for it myself. Would you be a target for Dissident Republicans??, from Dublin myself.
    What about requirements?, fitness/education/first aid etc I only have a basic leaving cert but have worked in private security for bout 6 years (rail/door/static)
    Thanks in advance people :)

Advertisement