Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 black hack

He said that they had to'shag proof' them by reinforcing them. I thought he was jokin but he stated that what was specified. I guess all the rumours are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sixyeight

black hack wrote: »
    He said that they had to'shag proof' them by reinforcing them. I thought he was jokin but he stated that what was specified. I guess all the rumours are true.

My wife is worried about my safety if I applied.
    But maybe it is the marriage that is in more danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

bring on the handcuff and truncheon jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 4 henry23453

black hack wrote: »
    i was talking to a guy who told me that garnrrville has just been refitted with 80 new beds.
    Garnerville was refurbished in 2011 and they replaced the beds, this isn't a recent development, believe its to accommodate the upcoming World Police and Fire games, not recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 henry23453

Hi again guys. Someone I know who knows someone in PSNI told me today that there will be a recruitment very soon of around 1000 students.. I refuse to believe any of this rumour-milling until I see it but this seems pretty certain.. And I've never shared any rumour-mills before as I didn't believe it credible. Apparently psni have got funding from somewhere that they didn't expect to get it.

I think your friend is mistaken, What he may have heard is the Police Federation suggesting in January that the PSNI need to recruit 1000 new Officers to deal with the ongoing threat and natural wastage, The PSNI haven't mentioned anything about doing so.
    And when recruitment comes in this year I believe it will be a more modest figure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

There might be near 1000 taken from this campaign but spread over 3 or so years.

1000 might be a bit of a stretch but they will require something near that to just maintain this status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I'm sure everyone's seen this statement on the official PSNI website in the careers section....

"Police officer recruitment

Please note that there is no police officer recruitment planned for 2011 or 2012, but it is anticipated that police recruitment will resume in 2013.

The previous recruitment process is currently under review at present, and information regarding future processes will be made available in due course."

I say just bring it on, lets stop the rumours and lets get this shindig started, lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Gee-22 wrote: »
    There might be near 1000 taken from this campaign but spread over 3 or so years.

1000 might be a bit of a stretch but they will require something near that to just maintain this status quo.

I did read that 1000 officers were due to retire these next few years so they would need to be replaced.

if they make a merit list of 1000 people def getting a job over the next three years id be over the moon but i doubt that it would be so easy.

Sure all you would have to do would be get to the ac stage and you can safely assume your in unless you completely fluff it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Elza_30

They are recruiting transfers at the moment as it was advertised internally in my work (Strathclyde) so I would assume once they know how many they an get through transferring they will advertise after for new recruits? I missed the deadline date for applications (fri 8thfeb) raging as I was annual leave and missed it!

• Advertisement

Thats unlucky Elza, thanks for the update, maybe if you contacted them you could still apply!Otherwise you might have to go into the pot with the rest of us!

http://m.u.tv/News/PSNI-faces-most-challenging-time/077096aa-949e-4336-b9b1-00cb49015948

Interesting report done by UTV was reported a few weeks ago, you all may have seen it, but for those that haven't worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ant08

Hi all, just curious on the website when it says they are reviewing the previous campaign does that mean they are looking at the people that previously applied or just the recruitment process in general?

It means that the process is being reviewed to make sure they are getting the best quality- we don't know what they will deem as desirable or unsuitable this time round.

The whole process is being reviewed, as in each stage is being revised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Sorry if this annoys anybody,
    But i would like to see more merit or requirements for additional educational/practical Qualifications (i.e. degrees, first aid, driving licence) Voluntary experience, and an informal Interview thrown in for good measure too.

I would also love to see the Numerical reasoning test banished to the far side of the moon(is it really needed in this day and age?) and also would love to see more role playing scenarios introduced.

What elements would you all like to see introduced, increased or removed from the process?

Physical elements as in strength and general fitness, when I was through the process in Scotland, physical was something that was greatly focused on, strength especially, if your apprehending someone and it results in a physical takedown then your gonna have to be able to handle it, I agree that some further education would be good a levels maybe as a necessary requirement, I've just finished a degree ( really to please parents lol ) and i'm never probably gonna use it, as I don't think you will ever need such a qualification for policing, some may disagree, but another thing I was shocked to hear that there was no real interview done with the process here?? If that's true then I would definitely like to have an interview thrown in there lol

I agree with the fitness and Interview stages- as for needing a degree and voluntary experience I think that's a nice touch but not nessesary. I have neither a degree or a voluntary experience, I'm phyically fit and ace interviews- do you think it's possible we want to see the things we are good at?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I agree with the fitness and Interview stages- as for needing a degree and voluntary experience I think that's a nice touch but not nessesary. I have neither a degree or a voluntary experience, I'm phyically fit and ace interviews- do you think it's possible we want to see the things we are good at?????

I would agree with that. I have a degree and voluntary experience but don't have my full license yet. I for one wouldn't like to see that requirement introduced in the coming recruitment drive:D.

Yeah your probably right lol, but saying that policing is a physical job, and interviews is great to see if someone is socially competent, not everyone can just talk to complete strangers, but one thing I kinda want from this now is people who really really want this, I heard from close sources that a lot join to write of student debt as in go in for a few years, pay of a whack of their debt and then leave, and also the people that don't really know what they're getting into as in the fact your life is in constant threat on and off duty, and with the job comes a lot of bs from people and internally ie unneeded paperwork lol, I have close friends who are in it, who don't appreciate what they've got, and some think they're above most people lol, I'm frequently going dude your a public servant, the public you swore to protect pay your wages lol, as long it's a fair process and there is no time wasters as such, as in they're not joining solely for money, and they know what they're getting into, that's all I can ask for.

• Advertisement

, as long it's a fair process and there is no time wasters as such, as in they're not joining solely for money, and they know what they're getting into, that's all I can ask for.

It has not been a fair process up until now, but that will change this time.

As someone who has been through it 6 times I can tell you -
    re: time wasters, there always has been and always will be. They will apply and they will succed.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    It has not been a fair process up until now, but that will change this time.

As someone who has been through it 6 times I can tell you -
    re: time wasters, there always has been and always will be. They will apply and they will succed.

Did you ever get a freedom of Information request to see why you had such a spate of bad luck with the process ?
    From reading your posts over the past while, you seem to have the determination and levelheadedness to do quite well.

Did you ever get a freedom of Information request to see why you had such a spate of bad luck with the process ?
    From reading your posts over the past while, you seem to have the determination and levelheadedness to do quite well.

Tbh the first few times I was young and didn't understand there was a nack to the process.

The IST has been my downfall a bit (not scoring high enough) and the 50/50 didn't help me. The interview and assessment day stuff is right up my street as its based on my day job.

But last time I (as I have mentioned before) I passed everything including vetting and the medical.

I'm hoping this time the gods will look on me favourable.

Gee any definite word on what the process will involve?

Gee any definite word on what the process will involve?

Nope. No word yet sorry.

Last I heard not even the guys in recruitment know what form it will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

The changes I would like to see are:

1 Interview(s) - this would enable them to find out what makes you tick, how well you can present yourself, let them see what kind of potential you really have and most importantly it lets them try to find out the real reason why you are applying. I believe this is the single most important thing that is missing from the process.

Could you ever immagine being an employer and taking people on without interviewing them? it is absolutely incredulous.

2. Fitness test - there are far too many fail it when they are going through training and it is quite simply a waste of a good space for someone else. Also there are far too many young officers who look like they would struggle to run the length of themselves (or certainly the circumference for that matter).

3. Weapons handling test - this should be reintroduced - just to see that you are comfortable with it.

Whilst I don't think a degree/a-levels, driving licence/voluntary experience etc are really necessary, it would suit me if they were added as it would reduce the competition - this is pure selfishness on my part, but I have wanted to be an NI Peeler for over 20 years.......

I would be happy enough if they just reused the old merit list to be honest and save a load of money!!

Exactly my feelings/thoughts wanadrum !

Though I should have been a bit clearer, i am more in favour of an applicant being carried up the list a few notches ahead of those who haven't any qualifications, licence or volunteer experience etc etc, more so than having it as a requirement.

I know introducing it as a requirement wouldn't be fair, but there is a little slice of me that is also selfish and would like it to be :o

The problem is the recruitment process has to be fair for everyone - someone who is 19 wont have had as much time as a 40 year old to gain voluntary experience

Interviews can take different routes and can easily go of track, if your getting along well you could be talking about anything and charming the interviewer could lead to better marks! So the set system proves more beneficial because there is a criteria and if you dont tick the box you dont get the mark.

I think the changes will be more like-

1)Bleep test for general fitness maybe as a first stage as this is quickly and cheaply done
    2)Minimum grade C at GSCE English and Maths
    3)Possibly a driving license

• Registered Users Posts: 29 M2010

1)Bleep test for general fitness maybe as a first stage as this is quickly and cheaply done

I think these are more realistic in terms of the changes that are likely to be implemented.

• Advertisement

I'd still like to see an casual interview or some kind of facility where you can explain why you would be an "asset" to the police. It would look great if you had some vol experience, i don't think its hard to find one or two hours every couple of weeks to volunteer at something, its pretty rewarding!

Don't agree with the maths grade C as being one of the minimum requirements in this day and age with access to internet & calculators in your pocket. I was lucky to scrape a D1 in Maths, i always was and will be a disaster at anything other than arithmetic or the "Jonny went to the shop with 16,000 apples in his hand, jonny was spun on his head 3 times, how many apples has he got left" questions.

If it was introduced, that would be unfair for those who ended getting higher quals than a math! Sorry for going on about it! :o

Advertisement