Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Merseyside wrote: »
    You speak of political acknowledgement of low numbers but I don't think this will translate to large recruitment drives

When I say the political institutions are aware of the consequences of not providing enough resources, I don't mean the financial consequences as such. They are aware that the "peace process" could be set back.

You said overtime is a cheaper solution. I don't believe it is. For example, 2011 figures showed overtime costs were running at 1 million a week. I doubt it has dropped any. Not the best use of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fingerbob

I'm currently in the recruitment process for a force in the uk. Recently things have changed personally and a move over is becoming less of an option. Still not sure what I should do especially in light of the psni possibly recruiting.

My senior officer interview is next month. Should I continue with the process to at least keep my options open? Would it be beneficial or detrimental to a future application to the psni that I got accepted to another (if I do)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

fingerbob wrote: »
    I'm currently in the recruitment process for a force in the uk. Recently things have changed personally and a move over is becoming less of an option. Still not sure what I should do especially in light of the psni possibly recruiting.

My senior officer interview is next month. Should I continue with the process to at least keep my options open? Would it be beneficial or detrimental to a future application to the psni that I got accepted to another (if I do)?

IMO you should continue with the process (if your personal situation allows you to do so) ..it would be beneficial in the sense that you could apply for a transfer to the psni in the future and.... possibly after a few years in the UK, the situation in NI will have calmed again.

Anyhow, your experience on the mainland will be nothing but beneficial in an application for transfer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Boyeen30

fingerbob wrote: »

Continue with it, give it 100% ..
    .. Get your first few years in "any" Uk force, never wait for a force to open up recruitment.
    I know many a good friends who waited years for the Garda / Uk forces and now they are not able to get in .
    I can understand "personally" could be anything but for example I left a very good job and a Girlfriend including family to do what your thinking about alone with no help from anyone ..it's hard for a while.... but now years later.... Best move ever !

UK policing is very rounded. I'm sure others will agree with me, you application would be very much welcome when you return home ...
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Boyeen30

I agree with Merseyside

50-75

As my old tutor used to tell me in the early days 'you don't know enough to be disappointed'
    A classic !

---
    I'm in the same boat as you mate , I suspect about that number as well .
    There is a few goods serving lad/ladies on here that can offers advice if needed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Merseyside

Boyeen30 wrote: »
    I agree with Merseyside

50-75

As my old tutor used to tell me in the early days 'you don't know enough to be disappointed'
    A classic !

---
    I'm in the same boat as you mate , I suspect about that number as well .
    There is a few goods serving lad/ladies on here that can offers advice if needed .

Cheers for the reply.

Best of luck to you if you're transferring.

PSNI Belfast City Centre
    Following reports on some social media websites today the PSNI can state that there is no substance whatsoever re the suggestion that officers from An Garda Siochana are supporting the PSNI in the policing of public disorder.

Just found this. Would the PSNI admit they were recieving support from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

Gee-22 wrote: »
    PSNI Belfast City Centre
    Following reports on some social media websites today the PSNI can state that there is no substance whatsoever re the suggestion that officers from An Garda Siochana are supporting the PSNI in the policing of public disorder.

Just found this. Would the PSNI admit they were recieving support from them?

Don't think they would be able to keep it under wraps if a garda officer got injured.

Dietcoke1 wrote: »

Thought so! Although this would make more sense than bringing across officers from the uk I don't think the dup/uup would agree to this one.

Bringing in another UK force to help another UK force, would make more sense IMO.

Bringing in another UK force to help another UK force, would make more sense IMO.[/Qu

That would be true if not for the fact that we are on a different island!

• Advertisement

Bringing in another UK force to help another UK force, would make more sense IMO.[/Qu

That would be true if not for the fact that we are on a different island!

What's that got to do with it? Doesn't change the fact that it would be one IK forces helping another UK force. Which would make more sense.

Anyway we better keep it on topic or we will be on shields naughty step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I'm a UK based cop, hopefully transferring home this year.

I honestly can't see a huge recruitment drive this year at the levels some of you are anticipating.

I'd be astounded if they take on close to 50-75

Don't pin your hopes on the G8 or P&F games as a catalyst for recruitment, if anything this will be a hindrance. Even if they announced a campaign tomorrow, it would take months to get people to day 1 of training and you'd still be no use operationally.

Sorry folks, but I think it will be 2014.

If you genuinely want to be a cop, look in the meantime to theUK. Get some valuable experience and transfer back.

Hi mate.

I was looking at joining the UK forces and transferring back with experience..

I know this is a fairly general question but is regular recruitment in the Uk the norm or are they in difficulty like ourselves??

many thanks for any replies

Canyon86 wrote: »

Hi mate.

I know this is a fairly general question but is regular recruitment in the Uk the norm or are they in difficulty like ourselves??

A quick google search will answer that one.

What's that got to do with it? Doesn't change the fact that it would be one IK forces helping another UK force. Which would make more sense.

Anyway we better keep it on topic or we will be on shields naughty step.

I can see your point of view as an outsider looking in but in reality it would be so much better strengthening links between the two forces, criminals/terrorist's don't regonise the border so neither should we.

But you are right ,let's keep on topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 titanmcdermott

I think more cooperation between all the U.K forces and the Garda is a good solution have them cross train and work together more to help work towards (relative) peace in all of the U.K and Ireland. That way DUP/UUP couldn't moan because Garda would be throughout the whole U.K building force relations and we could send our guys there. However there is the whole financial issue obviously to think about.... In fact forget it just recruit already!!!! :D

I think more cooperation between all the U.K forces and the Garda is a good solution have them cross train and work together more to help work towards (relative) peace in all of the U.K and Ireland. That way DUP/UUP couldn't moan because Garda would be throughout the whole U.K building force relations and we could send our guys there. However there is the whole financial issue obviously to think about.... In fact forget it just recruit already!!!! :D

100% correct! Forget garda coming up from the south or british police coming across from england, get the recuritment going Matt and give us the numbers we need

Canyon86 wrote: »

Hi mate.

Just like NI, UK police recruitment has seriously slowed down to a complete halt in past 2 years.

Things are starting to move again, but will most likely be in low numbers. The Met tend to recruit more often and in bigger intakes compared to the provincial forces.

I think Scottish forces are recruiting also.

Work out where you want to live and check our the force website or phone their recruitment department.

I'd highly recommend it.

100% correct! Forget garda coming up from the south or british police coming across from england, get the recuritment going Matt and give us the numbers we need
    That's something we can both agree on.

Just like NI, UK police recruitment has seriously slowed down to a complete halt in past 2 years.

Things are starting to move again, but will most likely be in low numbers. The Met tend to recruit more often and in bigger intakes compared to the provincial forces.

I think Scottish forces are recruiting also.

Work out where you want to live and check our the force website or phone their recruitment department.

I'd highly recommend it.

I believe they have or they are talking about reducing the starting pay for new recruits by 4k in England.

Edit:

www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/pm/articles/2012/12/tribunal-recommends-4000-cut-in-wages-for-new-police-recruits.htm

I believe they have or they are talking about reducing the starting pay for new recruits by 4k in England.

Edit:

www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/pm/articles/2012/12/tribunal-recommends-4000-cut-in-wages-for-new-police-recruits.htm

Tis sadly true - just awaits home secs final approval

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

I wouldn't mind if they reduced the salary for the police, could mean less people would apply (high hopes there). Personally I would work for minimum wage as it is something I would enjoy doing, I'm the type of person that doesn't like to know what my job will entail that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Pay wouldn't be something that would annoy me in a normal situation... but when its a case that you are putting your life on the line having to watch your back (and families too), literally 24/7 365 I expect to be rewarded for that, in one way or another !

D4z wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if they reduced the salary for the police,

Are you Teresa May?

You're obviously mental and have no clue what nonsense a cop has to deal with on a daily basis.

Be a patrol / response bobby for a month on three shifts and then rethink that ridiculous statement.

Are you Teresa May?

You're obviously mental and have no clue what nonsense a cop has to deal with on a daily basis.

Be a patrol / response bobby for a month on three shifts and then rethink that ridiculous statement.
    It's easy for those that are in to say that. But for those of that are gagging to get in, it's the lesser of two evils to take a pay cut for the first bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

D4Z I understand your line of thought whereby you think that a reduction in salary would reduce the the applicants however its a non sense. From what I gather (i might have misunderstood) there are already cuts made to pensions. The police here live with a real threat at all times which not only impacts them but also their families, to even suggest a pay cut for police would be an insult - there are much easier ways to earn 30grand a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

D4Z I understand your line of thought whereby you think that a reduction in salary would reduce the the applicants however its a non sense. From what I gather (i might have misunderstood) there are already cuts made to pensions. The police here live with a real threat at all times which not only impacts them but also their families, to even suggest a pay cut for police would be an insult - there are much easier ways to earn 30grand a year.

I completely understand coming up in a RUC/PSNI family, although the risk is part of the job and those applying know that risk. Reducing the salary in the Police I believe would show those who want to be in the Police and whose who don't necessarily care, they just want the wage it currently holds. I have two friends who were successful in the last recruitment but only joined because they were unable to get any jobs with their degree, also to pay off their student debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 titanmcdermott

D4z wrote: »
    I completely understand coming up in a RUC/PSNI family, although the risk is part of the job and those applying know that risk. Reducing the salary in the Police I believe would show those who want to be in the Police and whose who don't necessarily care, they just want the wage it currently holds. I have two friends who were successful in the last recruitment but only joined because they were unable to get any jobs with their degree, also to pay off their student debt.

Thats what is soo bloody frustrating, people in the job who don't like or care for it, they moan constantly about the work and just take the pay cheque each month, I personally need to enjoy my career. Not saying it should be easy and I know policing as a job can be VERY demanding at times but its the career I've been working towards for the last couple of years and hate it when I hear of officers like that or speak to them as I know a few like that and just think to myself why are they the one wearing the uniform? Ah well best of luck everyone for 2013 recruitment. :)

Thats what is soo bloody frustrating, people in the job who don't like or care for it, they moan constantly about the work and just take the pay cheque each month, I personally need to enjoy my career. Not saying it should be easy and I know policing as a job can be VERY demanding at times but its the career I've been working towards for the last couple of years and hate it when I hear of officers like that or speak to them as I know a few like that and just think to myself why are they the one wearing the uniform? Ah well best of luck everyone for 2013 recruitment. :)

'The Job's ****ed' The immortal words uttered by Robert Peel not long after organising the first police force. Still a favourite saying of most Police officers, and completely alien to anyone who isn't a cop.
    I guarantee, shoud you be successful in your application, you will say it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭psni_lad

99 officers injured so far since the flag protests began luckily noone has been killed though. With the PSNI resources getting stretched so thin at the moment due to these protests I'm assuming it'll be much later on this year before they recruit at the earliest. That and the fact they haven't even begun to set out how the recruitment process will take place yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

I was talking to someone in work who has family in the job -he said advert in next few weeks and will be looking for decent numbers - Not so sure myself as I think the option of recruiting existing officers from the mainland will be exhausted first

Advertisement