Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Like the nice clean look but am disappointed there isn't a button on the top level which will take you straight to "your threads" from anywhere on the site. I still have to hover over my username, drop down the menu and click on "followed threads" which seems very laborious for what must be one of the most chosen options on the site.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

One thing that I think would be good is a "LIKE" button (similar to the thumbs up, thanks one) for a post that you like or agree with. every time it's pressed, the number of "likes" increases by 1 - and is blanked out when you have "Liked" that post.

Many times I have liked/agreed with a post but couldn't show my agreement/like, without a making a reply post. A button would be a very simple way to do it. Same as the "like" / "dislike" on Journal.ie comments.

Don't know how difficult it is to do, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

odds_on wrote: »
    One thing that I think would be good is a "LIKE" button (similar to the thumbs up, thanks one) for a post that you like or agree with. every time it's pressed, the number of "likes" increases by 1 - and is blanked out when you have "Liked" that post.

Many times I have liked/agreed with a post but couldn't show my agreement/like, without a making a reply post. A button would be a very simple way to do it. Same as the "like" / "dislike" on Journal.ie comments.

Isn't that just basically what the "thanks" button is for??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

odds_on wrote: »

Thats what the "Thanks" button does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Really nice and fresh. Love the multiple quote tab and the drop down notifications bar. I think we badly needed this. Congrats on the new look guys.

EDIT: Just a suggestion, can you put in a hit box around the red number beside the drop down notification tab so that when you click the red number it goes straight to the list of new posts. (Instead of bringing up the drop down notification menu and clicking on "Followed threads"

• Advertisement

Anyone having the quote problem? I had to change back because of it :(

When someone quotes me, or quotes someone else its coming up:
    lee3155 wrote: »

And them my quote and their name on the quote below?

It's really messed up, if you need a picture let me know :lol:

Back to the old design for now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Don't know if this is a bug - but when you, for example, click on thanked posts, and open one, there's no sticky header or link back to Home/CP.

That's ok if you just click one, you can back page, but if you open a few in different tabs, there's no link back unless you click the thread title - 2 clicks instead of 1.

Really missing My Threads from the sticky header.
    Is there no way to jig this about? There's now 2 links to the Home page - the logo and the breadcrumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

juke wrote: »
    Don't know if this is a bug - but when you, for example, click on thanked posts, and open one, there's no sticky header or link back to Home/CP.

That's ok if you just click one, you can back page, but if you open a few in different tabs, there's no link back unless you click the thread title - 2 clicks instead of 1.

Click on thanked posts? Can you be a little more specific on that, for example providing a URL? If the URL has a "showpost.php" in it then that's the way it has always been - showpost shows a post completely out of context with no header or footer.

Is there no way to jig this about? There's now 2 links to the Home page - the logo and the breadcrumb.[/QUOTE]

There never was a "My Threads", there was a "User Control Panel" link. Options are still being explored, thanks for the feedback.

Danny

Is there no way to jig this about? There's now 2 links to the Home page - the logo and the breadcrumb.

Do you mean something like this:

21018-4684.png

I agree, it would look awesome :p

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spida

Is there a list of forums somewhere on the new site like there was on the old site? So I can search for the name of a forum by searching the page? In the old site it was the "Forums" link.

• Advertisement

Sorry Danny:

Home page - click thanks filter: http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks then pick any thanked post like http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79517825&postcount=1
    I'm getting no sticky header or link to the home page

An yes - you're right it's not the My Threads I miss, it's My Forums, which is on the old Beta skin, where Adverts.ie now appears.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

21018-4684.png

Damn you, I switched back thinking that they'd added that. :(

It's my most used link (I prefer it to user CP because it's more compact) and is the only reason why I'm still using old beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Sorry Danny:

Home page - click thanks filter: http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks then pick any thanked post like http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79517825&postcount=1
    I'm getting no sticky header or link to the home page

Thank you kindly. Yes, that's unchanged behaviour from the other skins - it likes to showpost and not showthread (which is what you're viewing now). It's by design that there's no header/footer or breadcrumb.
    An yes - you're right it's not the My Threads I miss, it's My Forums, which is on the old Beta skin, where Adverts.ie now appears.

My forums is available, just in a new place. Over underneath Sys/Tech :)

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Damn you, I switched back thinking that they'd added that. :(

It's my most used link (I prefer it to user CP because it's more compact) and is the only reason why I'm still using old beta.

Haha, sorry! You never know, it might appear there soon ;)

Only problem I see is if there is alot of threads subscribed to. However a simple overflow-y would fix that with a fixed height and the ability to scroll down, or perhaps pagination etc...

Some way to implement it would be awesome, or ever better would be this:

21021-2585.PNG

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I seem to be in the vast minority of people who miss it so I won't hold my breath. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The option is there, it's just abstracted into a menu. If anything makes a reappearance at top level it'll probably be the user control panel since it's not catered for elsewhere.

My forums is available, just in a new place. Over underneath Sys/Tech :)

I'm getting dizzy switching between skins.

I'm clearly mad, but I was sure the My Forums on the new skin just gave the drop down menu - I didn't think it filtered to the threads when clicked.

Much happier :)

The option is there, it's just abstracted into a menu. If anything makes a reappearance at top level it'll probably be the user control panel since it's not catered for elsewhere.

I know that, I was on about them moving the "My Threads" away from the menu for easier access mostly because it seems to be the most used feature on the site :P

I know that, I was on about them moving the "My Threads" away from the menu for easier access mostly because it seems to be the most used feature on the site :P

Eh, unless I've missed something, "My Threads" isn't catered for in the new layout, only "Followed Threads", which isn't the same thing.

Eh, unless I've missed something, "My Threads" isn't catered for in the new layout, only "Followed Threads", which isn't the same thing.

Sorry I'm thinking of the "My Threads" on the index. Both show the exact same threads for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

My Threads is catered for in the layout, you linked to it :P What I fail to see is where the direct link to that page is from the Beta theme - care to point it out? As far as I can tell you get to it the same way on both skins - Go to the home page and then click My Threads.

And Followed Threads is the same thing, or at least I'm the second one who can't see a difference between the two except for the number of posts on a page (25 in Followed Threads, 50 in My Threads)

My Threads is catered for in the layout, you linked to it :P What I fail to see is where the direct link to that page is from the Beta theme - care to point it out? As far as I can tell you get to it the same way on both skins - Go to the home page and then click My Threads.

And Followed Threads is the same thing, or at least I'm the second one who can't see a difference between the two except for the number of posts on a page (25 in Followed Threads, 50 in My Threads)

Also if you click on the "Followed Threads" link, the ones you haven't read yet are in bold where as if you click on "My Threads", none of them are in bold wether you read them or not.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Only problem I see is if there is alot of threads subscribed to. However a simple overflow-y would fix that with a fixed height and the ability to scroll down, or perhaps pagination etc...

Some way to implement it would be awesome, or ever better would be this:

21021-2585.PNG
    Very nice and I agree but why not go a stage further?
    In the example 8 may not tell you much. You could also use a visual effect on the associated categories.
    Of course, it's all a waste of time if the sticky is off.
    Perhaps the category bar could stay, or better still (in my opinon), a likeness of the [old]beta bars could be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Spoiler tags should be able to hide links.

Also if you click on the "Followed Threads" link, the ones you haven't read yet are in bold where as if you click on "My Threads", none of them are in bold wether you read them or not.

It's not that it's directly visible on the old beta, it's that it's just more accessible on the old beta. See the attachment. It only takes one click to get back there, on the new beta it takes two (home > My Threads)

I know Followed Threads does basically the same thing, I just prefer the layout of My Threads. It's more compact, and I like being able to quickly scan down 50 threads, because more than likely the one I want will be in that list.

TL;DR: I'm a crotchety old man and I likes things the way they was! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dm2k12

boards is a great website but i cant figure out how to post a thread ive posted a couple but now i cant find where the icon to create a new thread is any help?

dm2k12 wrote: »
    boards is a great website but i cant figure out how to post a thread ive posted a couple but now i cant find where the icon to create a new thread is any help?

It's the blue button on the top left, just above the threads in the forum.

21069-2021.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

21018-4684.png

While I'll admit thats a good suggestion, what isn't being considered here, and is something that was discovered during testing is that at the minium width that the site shrinks to (960px), if this 3rd option was to be added, any one with a long-ish user name (can't remember the exact characters tbh) ended up breaking the site.
    There was a 3rd option there in earlier designs (don't specifically remember what it was, but it wasn't 'My Threads'), but it was removed because of the problems it was causing.

We are still investigating options here and we'll definitely be keeping your suggestion in the idea bank.

Just wanted you to know the thought process about what is up there and why somethings aren't there!

Keep the ideas coming, there's already been several things that we hadn't considered for one reason or another, that we now are because of the ideas and feedback given here! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have to say I think its an excellent job overall - certainly brings the site up to date with modern design standards without too much of a radical change. Took me a while to get used to everything but now I really like it. My only real criticism/suggestion is that there is a lot of wasted space down at the bottom - it should be bunched up a bit more really. The Bookmarks bar is not really needed. it's to big and I doubt many people use it. A small 'Share this' type expandable button would be better. The current one is missing a Facebook 'like' button - this could increase traffic and users if done properly with people sharing interesting or funny posts & threads to their friends etc. Also the breadcrumbs should include a link to the first page of the post - the post is named but its not linked. Omni search works nicely and I do like the update to the advanced search also, way better than before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

Zascar wrote: »
    I have to say I think its an excellent job overall - certainly brings the site up to date with modern design standards without too much of a radical change. Took me a while to get used to everything but now I really like it. My only real criticism/suggestion is that there is a lot of wasted space down at the bottom - it should be bunched up a bit more really. The Bookmarks bar is not really needed. it's to big and I doubt many people use it. A small 'Share this' type expandable button would be better. The current one is missing a Facebook 'like' button - this could increase traffic and users if done properly with people sharing interesting or funny posts & threads to their friends etc. Also the breadcrumbs should include a link to the first page of the post - the post is named but its not linked. Omni search works nicely and I do like the update to the advanced search also, way better than before.

That space down the bottom is actually what I've been playing round with the last few days. It's way up the list for one of the next things that could do with a bit of a tightening up. We will of course be letting everyone know when we're making those changes, and all going to plan, it will be sooner rather than later! :)

I like that suggestion about the title in the breadcrumb linking to the first page of the thread, will be looking into that to see if it's a go'er.

As for Social Sharing, we just need to make sure it's done right. It's up there on the to do list as well. If you've seen anything on your travels round the internet that you think might work, please feel free to share, we're open to any / all suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback,
    T.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement