Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Press "home" on the breadcrumbs? Is that the page you mean?

No idea. Its the 'new posts' tabs that I'm trying to find.

:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

One more quick thing: The dropdown on the right for "My Forums" is kinda limited as it does not display all of your subscriptions. I use this a lot to jump around as these are the only forums I read. Can this be extended?

Also, on the main page it displays the latest 50 or so posts from your subscribed forums. Any chance you can have a 'next' button to see the next 50 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish-stew wrote: »
    No idea. Its the 'new posts' tabs that I'm trying to find.

Boards.ie on the omnibar thingey! They are putting a direct link in the next update.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

K-9 wrote: »
    Boards.ie on the omnibar thingey! They are putting a direct link in the next update.

As much as I like the New Beta, I simply cant use it without the 'New Posts' tab/link. Will be sticking with Old Beta for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think the colour scheme should possibly be changed. In particular the tabs along the top are a little hard to read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

irish-stew wrote: »
    Wheres the index page, is do you mean the home page?

Yep, it's the first tab on the homepage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

lee3155 wrote: »
    Yep, it's the first tab on the homepage.
    But is that it just 50 , or so of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

KoolKid wrote: »
    But is that it just 50 , or so of them?

Unfortunately it looks like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

Not quite what I asked though, I asked for something a little more concrete than "It looks cheap" and "It's not an improvement". But fair enough, thanks for trying it out anyways

Danny

Hey Danny sorry you just enervated me with the winks. it's the way you tell them ya know!
    sorry for saying it had a cheap look about it, I just meant it looks too stripped back, but then the original does too, but then that's the point of it, it has to be clean shaven. i'm giving up on my idealism anyway, it's too much trouble and by the way the site is great, was just in bad humour. Best of luck with the changes. I do like the way you can see on top right corner what new things have happened as regards new messages and new replies to threads, so that's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

This seems to happen quite a bit: The 4 refers to followed threads but as you can see the drop-down shows 0!
    20120705233032.jpg

Even now it is showing 2 despite all followed threads being checked a few minutes ago. There was a delay like this on the old version, but it seems to be alot worse with this new one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Zascar wrote: »
    One more quick thing: The dropdown on the right for "My Forums" is kinda limited as it does not display all of your subscriptions. I use this a lot to jump around as these are the only forums I read. Can this be extended?

We're not expanding out the number of forums offered under the My Forums menu for reasons expanded upon in this post earlier in the thread.
    Zascar wrote: »
    Also, on the main page it displays the latest 50 or so posts from your subscribed forums. Any chance you can have a 'next' button to see the next 50 etc?

Pagination exists on the New Posts link which is coming back in the next update. I don't believe pagination will be added to any of the current home page tabs in it's current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Blowfish wrote: »
    Type: Design
    Issue: A minor consistancy issue more than anything, but most menus have now been converted to mouse over drop downs. The exception to this are the original vbulletin ones that remain, e.g. the forum/thread tools, search this forum/thread and rate this thread ones. It would probably make sense to convert them to mouseover too.
    Browser & OS: n/a
    Screen Resolution: n/a
    I don't like this switch to mouseover. Remember there are people who can't use a mouse or other pointing device, and are dependant on their keyboard. How are they supposed to access the menus?

And my own issue, which doesn't seem to have been covered already, based on a search of this thread;

Type: Bug
    Issue: The 'follow thread' button at the bottom of each page brings up a dialog box. The default subscription type in this dialog box does not reflect the user's preferred default subscription. My default subscription is 'no notification' but this dialog defaults to 'instant notification'. Can this be changed to use the default user preference for subscriptions?
    Browser & OS: Chrome on Win XP
    Screen Resolution: n/a

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

I genuinely feel freaked out by the top bar - it's way too thick, there's no need for it being that thick! Could easily be reduced by 20 - 40 pixels. The most important thing on this website is the content. Between this bar, the start menu or top bar on mac, the actual viewing are for the content is being reduced - it's only at about 75% with these changes.

/edit/

Ok, you can stick it - cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I don't like this switch to mouseover. Remember there are people who can't use a mouse or other pointing device, and are dependant on their keyboard. How are they supposed to access the menus?

Both sides should be counted for. If you are tabbing through buttons/links, if one of them has a hover function it should also be triggered by a focus event from the tab button or by pressing enter when focused on the element.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it being said that this skin is for keyboard+mouse on a desktop. I have no idea if they plan on making the website user friendly through keyboard alone (wouldn't take too much work since a lot of it does work now) or aria compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sxejim

Yep Looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Dermo wrote: »
    Both sides should be counted for. If you are tabbing through buttons/links, if one of them has a hover function it should also be triggered by a focus event from the tab button or by pressing enter when focused on the element.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it being said that this skin is for keyboard+mouse on a desktop. I have no idea if they plan on making the website user friendly through keyboard alone (wouldn't take too much work since a lot of it does work now) or aria compliant.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but how do I get to action to top row menu from a keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Im switching back to OLD skin. The new skin isnt work friendly.

I like to minimize my window when in work so its a small screen but with the new skin the 'grey site location' info bar and the general size of the font, tabs and borders means I have to stretch the window longer and larger.

Please keep the old school option avail for all the office surfers out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Any body having trouble selecting the my profile and my forums link on an iPad , had to switch back to the old skin just to view a private message

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WanyeISBACkYES

Looks great. For the people who don't like change they may be at a stage in Puberty so don't let some kids change your mind guys...
    Overall well done on the skin, looks great. Some of the icons could be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Hi guys as per my other 2 posts I still cannot close/open/merge/move/copy etc with the new Beta skin

Windows XP. IE 9

• Advertisement

The number of new posts that used to appear next to my username has disappeared!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gokira

looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Oh I like this. It's like a new Megaman power.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

How do I switch back? No user cp on new skin :-(

I'm also on iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

How do I switch back? No user cp on new skin :-(

I'm also on iPad.

If you click your username in the top right corner it gives you an option for user cp

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

rev2.0 wrote: »
    If you click your username in the top right corner it gives you an option for user cp

i spotted that but when i press on it nothing happens.
    I tried pressing log out also and nothing happened on the iPad.. its nearly as if the links aren't live yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Any body having trouble selecting the my profile and my forums link on an iPad , had to switch back to the old skin just to view a private message
    i spotted that but when i press on it nothing happens.
    I tried pressing log out also and nothing happened on the iPad.. its nearly as if the links aren't live yet..

I reported the same problem with the iPad in a portrait mode.
    It works fine in landscape - assume it has something to do with the minimum width.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

It looks the same to me. I don't think the link has worked!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is there a way to change back to the old skin? also when I'm using boards on my phone the the drop menu's I guess is what you call them don't appear E.G REC REGION GAMES ETC Is this fixable? also I only get the new skin When I sign in and when I'm logged out I have the old skin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Kash wrote: »
    I reported the same problem with the iPad in a portrait mode.
    It works fine in landscape - assume it has something to do with the minimum width.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Kash , will give it a go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement