Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm sure all these have been mentioned:

iPhone

Exclamation mark doesn't work, it just scrolls you to the top of the page

when clicking on username, top right, I can click links, as in they highlight, but they don't open

scrolling is unbelievably slow

It's grand on the laptop but I usually browse on my phone so gonna change back for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I like the extra spacing around some buttons and pagination links = less misclicking and the increased whitespace all round is good.

I don't think the click to expand sub nav is a good idea: extra clicks and possibly awkward on devices. Besides most OSes and web drop down nav menus auto expand the arrows onhover and to the right. I don't think you need to reinvent the method there.

The drop downs from Music to the right are aligning with the right hand edge of the parent section button even when there is plenty of room out to the right. I'd align to the left as much as possible. Xref Cathmandooo post. This is also a problem with the existing beta skin.

The grey breadcrumb bar doesn't do it for me and the colour seems out of kilter with the boards brand colouring. Would prefer no semi transparency effect on the bg.

Not sold on the non-blue buttons (Follow Thread, Quote, Multi-quote, Quick Reply and Thanks). The borders don't have enough contrast. Using boards blue for the borders might be an improvement (at least a darker grey for more contrast).

The 85px bottom padding on footer .holder css seems excessive and unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The reason I suggested that site is that it was vbulletin before their changes and it looked very similar to Boards. Not too gone on their sticky header when it doesn't include the site logo, needs the logo like you've done here. Similar tabbed breadcrumbs could look very good here, worth a try.

Oh, I wouldn't use it as our header, but could be a design solution for our breadcrumb. I'm liking the shadow (like what google do) to indicate it's floating when you move under it.

I'm gonna have to browse round that site (and I have used it before, but it didn't enter my conscientiousness lately).

Thanks for the heads up / reminder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I love it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Very nice, I like it.

My only slight issue is that links aren't underlined anymore. I find it very hard to distinguish links from normal text in posts without them being underlined as I'm quite colourblind :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Can I just say I don't like it. The site just doesn't seem as fluid to use anymore. I'm all for innovation and improvement but I can't help feeling that it's a step backwards.

The old site was basic from a layout point of view but it was quick and easy to navigate and just well, more fluid to use.

m83 wrote: »
    I hate it. Shiny was cool looking about 4 years ago.

Will be sticking with the bog standard skin.

Can you change back? I can't find the link for choosing the site skin you want. It seems to have moved from where it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

How the hell do you change back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Daroxtar wrote: »
    How the hell do you change back?

Read the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭chessguy

I don't like how it's so much narrower and a lot of screen space is wasted.

Also looks faded,like a Microsoft App.

It does not seem to contrast well
    Why fix a good thing :)

goodluck
    chessguy

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brer Fox

Boards is an Irish site. Why stick with boring blue? A nice green would be much nicer, uplifting, and more appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Is there a 'new posts' button on the new skin? I use it constantly on the old skin and cant find it on the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I like it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Brer Fox wrote: »
    Boards is an Irish site. Why stick with boring blue? A nice green would be much nicer, uplifting, and more appropriate.

The same reason the the background on most sites is white, aesthetics. You wouldn't stay on a page very long if it had lots of greens or reds etc, it's just not pleasing on the eye. Blues work well, which is why it's used very regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I get enough green with sport and LinuxMint but can you change the colour in you profile settings? Blue is my favourite colour but for those who don't like blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I really don't want to read through 57 pages of posts, so I'll possibly be repeating what one or several people have already said!

I was using the beta skin(I think it was that anyway) before and the only thing I've noticed straight away is that the forum catergories across the top doesn't stretch fully across the iPads screen whereas the beta one did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I tweeted to the boards.ie account about the issue with the page not refreshing. The menu's at the top are all combining to the top left hand side of the screen, and upon refreshing they are restored. The drop-downs for your account and my forums also dont work until a refresh is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

My followed threads take me to the top of the last page, rather than beforehand it would take me straight to the last post that had been posted the last time I was in the thread. Just a minor thing, but it's a bit frustrating on some of the busier threads (i.e. YLYL).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

Prefer list on original home page. Bands and underlining helped to read across list. Type too big on new page, also I don't think it contains the same amount of items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Mc Love wrote: »
    I tweeted to the boards.ie account about the issue with the page not refreshing. The menu's at the top are all combining to the top left hand side of the screen, and upon refreshing they are restored. The drop-downs for your account and my forums also dont work until a refresh is carried out.

I think this is something to do with HTTPS. At least I only notice it on pages with https and when I checked it on IE I got the message "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors". Unfortunately I don't know how to fix this in Firefox :(

IE8 clearly superior to Firefox.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Brer Fox wrote: »

We use a green theme over on www.foramnagaeilge.com and the place is a ghost town. Not sure if there's a connection there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Blue has been our colour - mainly thanks to the stock vbulletin theme - since (according to the way back machine) 19th October 2000, I think it's funny how people think we ripped off the 'facebook blue' considering facebook didn't even exist for another 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ceder12

Loving the new look of the site p(beta skin) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Looks a lot better than previous version.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wrbedzinski

good day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Well, I see it as a bug anyway :D

When using some forums I will use the space bar to scroll down the screen. I have noticed using the new skin that I will miss a post each time I scroll down, because the screen scrolls too far, or the location bar thingy Home > Sys > Site Development maybe covers the thread so I don't see it.

Edit: Also happens in threads, miss posts etc.

It's annoying, put the team of moneys to work to fix it please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How do i get my exploded view of the forums categories like in the actual Beta Skin? Make that optional pls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Doge

Hi there,
    when I click the down arrow for new notifications and click Followed Threads,
    all threads show alphabetically, even the ones without any newreplies.

If I got into USER CP though, it hides the threads which haven't any new replies like normal.

If the Followed Threads page had the option of hiding threads without new replies also, it would be great.

Thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

No, sorry but i'm switching back to the old one. It's far too... spacey for me i'm afraid. I like the nice compact feel to the old one. New site just reminds me of a first timers attempt at making a forum. Doesn't look professional at all, just amateurish and full of unused space.

No, not for me. Feels all wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

A No vote here. Gone back to the original. Far too garish and bleak (it reminds me of forums from the mid 90s so if retro is what you're going for, well done). Don't fix what isn't broken IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement