Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europrice shut its doors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

merlante wrote: »
    This sounds like exactly the sort of thing that could be drawn out very quickly by Billy Mc on Deise AM. Has the station been contacted?
    Was on the show the morning it happened. Updated with the workers in-store once or twice afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just to add, if all relevent paper work is submitted to nera (they have a new name now) it is taking 18 months to get redundancy paid from the prsi fund.this is only possible if the correct hr files are submitted. in a place i worked, some of my former co-workers were waiting for 2.5 years, as the owner left the hr files in the old offices and they were dumped by the new tennents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cahill2012

barney 20v wrote: »
    The action taken by these people in the waterford shop is delaying the process being finalised for all the other employees at the other stores.

I know for a fact that staff in my local shop got paid last week but have been told nothing further can proceed due to the actions of these people in waterford

Typical bs ..what about the other employees and their families?
    The info being put out by these people directly contradicts the info given directly to the staff at my local store..

The staff a the other stores signed a form whish basically meant that they cannot apply for the entitlements ther owed at anytime down the line and would only get a weeks wages.The waterford staff didnt sign this as it would mean they were giving in and showing that they are weak.Also,im pretty sure that form must be in some way illegal.Because they signed this form,thats why nothing further can proceed as u put it.Maybe u work for them,i dont know.

At this moment the welfare of the majority of the workers is being jepradised by the actions of the staff in waterford...
    Your ignorance to what is happening reflects very well the attitude coming from the group in waterford..
    The chain is in liquidation , the liquidators are having to with-hold further payments until this is resolved/ended as this is a chain of shops under one company... not 8 different shops each standing alone!

Waterford has a reputation for this kind of "me fein" carry on but this time your actions are putting families from Wexford to Dublin in financial peril..

The staff have been told face to face by the owner and liquidators what is happening and have been told clearly what payments they will recieve etc.
    This matter is in the hands of the liquidator not the owner.

Where are u getting ur info from?are u a eurprice employee??As i said in last comment,any other staff from the other stores waiverd ther right to any entitlements by signing an illegal form.Who are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

No i have never worked for eurprice.

You say you don't work for eurprice but yet you seem to have all this so called information that contradicts what the Waterford employees are saying. I am sure if they were paid up to date and going to get what they are entitled to the would be puttin themselves through the horror of spending night after night in the store. Thr would be at home in their own bed.

Your generalisation that Waterford is known for this thing is certainly ncalled for as you will note that other county's have been in the news over the past number of months for similar situations.

The workers are sticking up for themselves and trying to get wha they are entiled to. Why should people just lie down and take this **** from company owners. That's the problem in this country at the minute lying down and taking whatever we're told.

Well I for one say fair play to the workers. It's a hard road but stick to your guns and hopefully you will get all your entitlements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Tommy987

Barney is totally right.
    I am a Eurprice employee and was there last Tuesday night the 26th of june.
    I did not sign the letter the Waterford shop are referring to and I hav since received my wages along with all other employees and will b recieving redundancy in the standard time frame of 6 to 8 months from the government as is common in this situation as the company have been declared insolvent.
    The Waterford branches behaviour has ruined all other employees chance of employment by the liquidation company during this 2 week period as they simply don't seem to trust us now due to their attitude.
    It is a disgrace the support they are recieving as they are doing more harm than good we were all upset last week but they should have got proper advise like the rest of us before going head first into this unnecessary action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Barney 20v appears to have disappeared.

Yes Waterford in the past has been a bit militant, but that does not excuse what is going on here,
    Years ago I would not have had much sympathy for the waterford crystal workers, they appeared greedy and extermely militant, in fact the strike in the early 1990's left a lot of deep divisions in the city.
    But they had my full sympathy for what happened to them in the end, not only did they not get the redundancy they were entitled to, but the pension that they had paid into for decades disappeared. At the height of the good wage in the crystal, some people were putting away £100 plus per week, imagine, what you tought was your future savings and pension, going down the pan.

Also I have no doubt that the owner of this business will find a way to setup another business elsewhere. the law and the government is a joke in this country

No need to feel sorry for eurprice employees they will be recieving all entitlements due

Tommy987 wrote: »
    Barney is totally right.
    I did not sign the letter the Waterford shop are referring to and I hav since received my wages along with all other employees and will b recieving redundancy in the standard time frame of 6 to 8 months from the government as is common in this situation as the company have been declared insolvent.
    The Waterford branches behaviour has ruined all other employees chance of employment by the liquidation company during this 2 week period as they simply don't seem to trust us now due to their attitude.
    It is a disgrace the support they are recieving as they are doing more harm than good we were all upset last week but they should have got proper advise like the rest of us before going head first into this unnecessary action.[/QUOT]

4,700 people are behind them.Maybe if u didnt give in so quick,u would be too.What u signed was illegal,as this was looked into by a professional legal advisor.Theres too many uneducated people in this country who will just sign anything they are told to.

Barney 20v appears to have disappeared.

Yes Waterford in the past has been a bit militant, but that does not excuse what is going on here,
    Years ago I would not have had much sympathy for the waterford crystal workers, they appeared greedy and extermely militant, in fact the strike in the early 1990's left a lot of deep divisions in the city.
    But they had my full sympathy for what happened to them in the end, not only did they not get the redundancy they were entitled to, but the pension that they had paid into for decades disappeared. At the height of the good wage in the crystal, some people were putting away £100 plus per week, imagine, what you tought was your future savings and pension, going down the pan.

Also I have no doubt that the owner of this business will find a way to setup another business elsewhere. the law and the government is a joke in this country

The owner of this company is all ready managing director of another two.

• Advertisement

cahill2012 wrote: »
    Barney is totally right.
    It is a disgrace the support they are recieving as they are doing more harm than good we were all upset last week but they should have got proper advise like the rest of us before going head first into this unnecessary action.[/QUOT]

4,700 people are behind them.Maybe if u didnt give in so quick,u would be too.What u signed was illegal,as this was looked into by a professional legal advisor.Theres too many uneducated people in this country who will just sign anything they are told to.

As I said I did not sign anything and got legal advise from 3 different sources.

Your Facebook page has followers due to inaccurate information you are given out.

The fact that no other shop is doing what Waterford are shows that your info is wrong

As I said I did not sign anything and got legal advise from 3 different sources.

Your Facebook page has followers due to inaccurate information you are given out.

The fact that no other shop is doing what Waterford are shows that your info is wrong

so your saying your store wasnt shut and locks changed when u arrived for work?As for the other stores,they cant do what the waterford store are doing as they waiverd any rights to entitlements by signing that form.What information would be innacurte?i dont think they would waste ther time,get legal advice etc etc if they knew they were wrong.U say u got legal advice?on what exactly?your entitlments?so you got everything owed?which store did u work for?

so your saying your store wasnt shut and locks changed when u arrived for work?As for the other stores,they cant do what the waterford store are doing as they waiverd any rights to entitlements by signing that form.What information would be innacurte?i dont think they would waste ther time,get legal advice etc etc if they knew they were wrong.U say u got legal advice?on what exactly?your entitlments?so you got everything owed?which store did u work for?

i see u only joined boards today?u must be the same user so

Locks were changed by liquidator as is standard procedure, nothing wrong with that. I know at least two stores other than Waterford did not sign.
    Im not going to repeat myself over and over to you. As i already said I received my wages along with all other employees and will be receiving my redundancy and other entitlements due in due course as is standard in this situation.

Locks were changed by liquidator as is standard procedure, nothing wrong with that. I know at least two stores other than Waterford did not sign.
    Im not going to repeat myself over and over to you. As i already said I received my wages along with all other employees and will be receiving my redundancy and other entitlements due in due course as is standard in this situation.

what store do u work for?

what store do u work for?

Im not gonna waste my time having a petty arguement with u.It seems strange that u say u got ur "entitlments" when a liquidator and owner have said that waterford staff get nothing.Anyway,nearly 5,000 people are behind them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Im not gonna waste my time having a petty arguement with u.It seems strange that u say u got ur "entitlments" when a liquidator and owner have said that waterford staff get nothing.Anyway,nearly 5,000 people are behind them :)

It also seems strange that the other fella stopped posting and this guy came along straight after... Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

lee3155 wrote: »

It also seems strange that the other fella stopped posting and this guy came along straight after... Hmm...

Is it possible for the Mods to check if this is one and the same person or not?
    If its the same IP address, could or should this poster be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wexford one gone too. Says "Closed for stocktaking" on the window

Exactly my point.No replies from this user now,maybe a different one wil pop up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Black Suir wrote: »
    Does the lock in suggests that John Deasy was right recently and such behaviour is in fact keeping big companies stay away from Waterford and maybe even some that are/were here think twice. Maybe, all our TD's should come together (all 166) and come up with a plan that all workers have certain entitlements regardless of if they are in a union or not. Maybe then we can tell those involved in the unions to go and have a good running jump for themselves, as whethere they like it or not, or will admit it, they have done more damage in this country over the past God knows how many years that they will admit.

Shortly after moving to Dublin I was standing in a queue for lunch in Centra. They had Sky News on a tv in there and the story being broadcasted around the world was that a security guard had been injured by a mob occupying the Waterford Crystal factory as he was going through the routine steps of a receivership. Now, you don't need to tell me the full story of it. I know plenty of people who worked there and what they lost. But that was the message that was broadcast on major international news organisations about Waterford.

Exactly my point.No replies from this user now,maybe a different one wil pop up?

Think what you like. I joined this today because I thought people might lik to hear from another perspective.
    I know what happened last Tuesday as I was there end of story.

Think what you like. I joined this today because I thought people might lik to hear from another perspective.
    I know what happened last Tuesday as I was there end of story.

ok,goodnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

What is actually standard.........

On the date of the termination of employment your employer must give you a "Redundancy Certificate" - section B of form RP50 - and should pay the redundancy lump sum due to you.

If your employer has not paid your redundancy lump sum, you should apply to your employer for it using form RP77 (pdf). If your employer still refuses to pay it, you can apply to the Department of Social Protection for direct payment from the Social Insurance Fund. You apply online using form RP50 as follows:

If your employer is unable to pay your redundancy lump sum, he should sign the RP50 and submit a letter from an accountant or solicitor stating he is unable to pay and accepting liability for the 85% (since 1 January 2012) owing to the Social Insurance Fund together with documentary evidence such as audited accounts
    If your employer refuses to pay your redundancy lump sum or if there is a dispute about redundancy you can bring a claim to the Employment Appeals Tribunal using the new single complaint form. This must be done within one year of your dismissal. To apply for your lump sum you should send a completed form RP50 together with a favourable decision from the Employment Appeals Tribunal
    Insolvency: If the company has been liquidated or is in receivership, the completed form RP50 should be sent in by the liquidator or receiver on behalf of the employees.

What is not standard, is corralling all the employees into a room in enniscorthy and producing a form for employees to sign which is illegal.

The problem nearly always is, that the employer is not versed well in labour laws,because they think their right or just can't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Morte wrote: »
    Shortly after moving to Dublin I was standing in a queue for lunch in Centra. They had Sky News on a tv in there and the story being broadcasted around the world was that a security guard had been injured by a mob occupying the Waterford Crystal factory as he was going through the routine steps of a receivership. Now, you don't need to tell me the full story of it. I know plenty of people who worked there and what they lost. But that was the message that was broadcast on major international news organisations about Waterford.

Yes and I remember watching a news programme from the US (either MSNBC or CNN) which discussed the financial collapse of 2008/2009 and they also showed that clip and congratulated the workers in Waterford for standing up for themselves. So what's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

The staff a the other stores signed a form whish basically meant that they cannot apply for the entitlements ther owed at anytime down the line and would only get a weeks wages.The waterford staff didnt sign this as it would mean they were giving in and showing that they are weak.Also,im pretty sure that form must be in some way illegal.Because they signed this form,thats why nothing further can proceed as u put it.Maybe u work for them,i dont know.

Some people in Waterford City have to understand that you cant get blood from a stone and that half a loaf is better than none. If the company do no have the money to continue, where to the workers think the money will come from to get what they claim they are entitled to. I am sure they were using rented accomodation and therefore cant sell it off for what-ever they get to try and bring in the money that the workers are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Is it possible for the Mods to check if this is one and the same person or not?
    If its the same IP address, could or should this poster be banned.

Can the mods please repsond to this?
    Feel free to check my ip etc..
    With regards to telling other posters my name etc- i am under no obligation to tell anyone who i am.
    Other posters who are eurprice employees have confirmed my info as being correct, what more can i say?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Where are u getting ur info from?are u a eurprice employee??As i said in last comment,any other staff from the other stores waiverd ther right to any entitlements by signing an illegal form.Who are you?
    My sources are confidential and it is none of your business who i am.. nd as i previously stated on here - i am not nor have i ever been a eurprice employee!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I assume the liquidator has to get permission from the owner of the store before they change the locks? Europrice would have been only renting the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It is a disgrace the support they are recieving as they are doing more harm than good we were all upset last week but they should have got proper advise like the rest of us before going head first into this unnecessary action.

This seems a bit ridiculous to be honest. Whether or not the 'liquidation company' like the staff or not, it's a business decision as to whether they take it over or not. The fact is that before the store was closed and had its locks changed the staff were working fine. It either does or does not make sense from a financial point of view to keep the shops going. I very much doubt that sit ins are going to make a massive difference. Also, at the point of liquidation, any portion of the assets can be bought, so the Waterford shop could be singled out and dropped, and the others retained, if Waterford was a problem; so other shops' staff giving the Waterford staff a hard time is ridiculous -- they should just concern themselves with their own actions.

People who run pound shops are about squeezing small margins out of tons of cheap plastic goods and I assume there's not a huge amount of money for paying staff and I assume there is a reasonably high staff turnover, at least in normal times. I think in this kind of business employers are not too bothered about building long term 'trust' relationships with staff.

I think it's perfectly fair that the staff do everything within the law to advance their interests, at least until strictly legal routes become hopeless. The other side are pulling their shenanigans by trying to get people to sign away rights. This is not a situation where doing and signing everything that company representatives are asking is going to necessarily result in the best outcome.

Was there a Billy Mc concensus on WLR?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement