Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Home > Sys > Feedback > Updated look for the site.

the above layout is nice but it could do with been a bit bigger - its harder to tell what thread you are on with this new theme

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

When posting the 'Submit Reply' is on the right. Was it always like that? Seems better if it was on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

No Don't like it ill keep using the old one Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OhLongJohnson

Strips the site of the identity it has had since 1998 and doesn't improve the user experience at all. The fixed div at the top is particularly garish and reminiscent of the earlier years of CSS and html frames (ugh!).

As I block ads, I'm not sure what effect the skin has on their exposure or cross integration with other Daft Media sites, but if you're looking for ways to better monetize the user base here I don't feel this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Keno 92 wrote: »
    When posting the 'Submit Reply' is on the right. Was it always like that? Seems better if it was on the left.

It wasn't always like that, but the web standard does have the submit button on the bottom right. (or upper left for email).

Am I the only one who likes the space? There is something somewhat minimalist about it and it's not jarring to look at anymore. I have not grown used to the colour change and I do think it's better, especially the placing of the profile menu as a drop down and having my forums on the right seems pretty decent.

If it wasn't for Alphabetical order though I'd say that Tech should be before Sys on the upper dropdown menus just because Sys is all about the site itself in general so should away from the area of general discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Love it!
    Simple, clean and easy to use...

well done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I like it anyway, much better then the last. :)

Type: Bug
    Issue: Rec menu goes partly out of view when loaded.
    Browser & OS: Chrome v20 (latest) on Windows XP
    Screen Resolution: 1024*768

Chromeoroid_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭GOODME

where do I click to get to today's posts? new posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I hate/do not like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Celt1

Don't like it...prefer the old version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

GOODME wrote: »
    where do I click to get to today's posts? new posts?

I think its coming soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

bring back the quick forum search option please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

A lot of the reactions on here remind me of people opinions regarding the switchover to Timeline on facebook - an outcry when it was implemented first, but gradually people got used to the new improved layout, and now there's not a word about it...

It'll be the same with this new boards, i reckon, people will just get used to it! There seems to be a resistance to change with people, me included, but I'm sure we'll learn to get used to boards nua.

Sill think the white is to much though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BanshaMan

As a new member to your site, can I ask you to just leave it alone?

There's nothing dramatically new about the beta look. It assumes I have a widescreen monitor, which I don't. Oh, hang on, The 'O' in Boards.ie has 2 holes.

That's progress? Just leave it alone and continue doing what it is that you do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

alproctor wrote: »
    A lot of the reactions on here remind me of people opinions regarding the switchover to Timeline on facebook - an outcry when it was implemented first, but gradually people got used to the new improved layout, and now there's not a word about it...

It'll be the same with this new boards, i reckon, people will just get used to it! There seems to be a resistance to change with people, me included, but I'm sure we'll learn to get used to boards nua.

Sill think the white is to much though! :)

Timeline is still terrible. Don't like the new boards layout either. Wasn't needed imho

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

what's with filling screen space with nuthin'...just saying...that is an improvement...tell me how...sure the site could do with updating etc but butchering the simple integrity of the site because some web nerds suggest such and such an improvement is necessary just might be a bit misjudged, my father always said 'measure twice cut once'.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

etc...all this crap on the top on my screen yuck...jesus is this built from crappy rapidweaver template or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I've changed my mind, I want the old one instead;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I don't seem to be able to mark all forums read any more? There used to be a way to do this quickly from any page, can't find it now.

Also I have set my preferences to show 40 topics per page, but it's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Generally cleaner, and welcome,
    BUT

Now one more click needed to unfold sub-forums on drop-downs.

How do I set less glaring background? Cream or off-white.
    thanks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

dohouch wrote: »
    Generally cleaner, and welcome,
    BUT

Now one more click needed to unfold sub-forums on drop-downs.

How do I set less glaring background? Cream or off-white.
    thanks

Agree about the background, especially when using the drop-down menu far too much white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Random wrote: »
    bring back the quick forum search option please!

Start typing to forum name into the top search box (omnibox we're calling it) and forum suggestions will pop up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Is there a shortcut key to bring me to the omnibox? If not, consider implementing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

i cant realy use the site now with the new set up.
    i cant find the latest posts or find sections i used to use every day. my saved link is to the motors section off the drop down bar of my lap top but I cant find all the drop downs off the top of the pages i used to read. think its time to move to another forums .

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Issue: Can't move threads to a different forum. I selected 4 threads and clicked on "move threads" - the drop down menu with the list of forums where they could be moved does not appear

Browser & OS: Opera, Android phone - samsung galaxy ii

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Paparazzo wrote:
    Timeline is still terrible. Don't like the new boards layout either. Wasn't needed imho
    You dont have to use it buddy,i believe this is just the latest skin they are adding.... (Change your skin settings to WHITE (In User CP) and you should have the default VBB skin regardless when logged in :))

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Issue: My notifications is displaying one more than I actually have at all times. (See screenshot).
    Browser & OS: Firefox 13.0.1, Windows XP

Other than that, I think it works well. It's a bit bright, as others have mentioned. Are there any plans to allow different colour schemes?

Also, you should really set the default option such that the header bar doesn't sticky. A lot of users are already unhappy with it and finding it difficult to disable, I think you should take it as read that most people don't want it to work that way.

This appears to be fixed now. It is for me anyway.

Thanks, guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

not bad.. not bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

expand the categories when hovering over them on the front page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

I love it :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement