Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

petrol pump was pulled out of the ground!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

huggy15 wrote: »
    bet your one of them lads who lies in behind the computer hours on end with little or no life. young and your little cyber play mates can laugh away, i didnt check my mirror whoop! **** happens, get over it. first time on boards and think it will be my last, it seems there is nothing too many retards on this

**** happens but someone has to pay for it, the thing is sometimes they pay with their lives instead of money.

You got what €100 of damage at most to repair your fuel cap to learn a cheap lesson when things could have been much much worse and come here with an inflated sense of entitlement.

Also let me leave this here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

should he not have just put the pump back in its place then until the fella in the shop cleared the pump? thinking he could have at least told me it would be a minute because he had to turn it on

no because you cant authorise the pump in the shop when the nozzle is still hung up outside. the nozzle has to be off its hanger to let it be authorised inside so it either had to be in your tank, in his hand or on the floor.

or ideally not have your boio multitasking and have one man pumping and a seperate man inside, looking out the window and authorising and working the till :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

lee3155 wrote: »
    Something I can't seem to click with, How the hell did the pump come out of the ground?!?

Aren't they supposed to be bolted tight to the ground?

Also, the attendant walked away and left the nozzle in the car while he went to turn on the pump. Isn't that kind of dangerous?

However, there are a few grounds for you to stand on but is it really worth all the hassel, you could pursue that route and end up costing yourself more that bargained for.

It would be much easier to get it fixed out of your insurance and forget about it!

Oh and next time check your mirrors when at the tank :D
    dont think i could face losing all my no claims, im 22 now and have nearly 5 years! it would be a bit heart braking to lose them all over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

this just confirms my previous reply, a saturday night and you are stuck waffling over some forum. such an interesting life you lead mate
    ah well, could be worse, I could have driven through a shop window, or roller-skated down a busy road. Or driven off with a petrol nozzle in my car.:D I'm sorry pal, I shouldn't laugh, it's mean, but in fairness, a fiver? You'd have been better off apologising and paying for the damage you did, but then my saturday night, and evenings of the thousands of others who will read this thread will have missed out on one of Irelands great brain-farts. TBF, we've all done it, haven't we.... What's that?..... No?..... Ok then... I'm actually starting to feel for you, what with the 22 yrs old and stuff, ah well, sure stuff happens. Anyway, in a few years, you will laugh the loudest at this and it will be a story you tell your kids. One of your tardicaca moments. I've loads of my own at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Then they are all wrong as the fuel pump won't send the signal to the till to authorize it until it is picked up, which means if he had to go do that he either leaves the lump in the tank or on the ground.
    should he not have just put the pump back in its place then until the fella in the shop cleared the pump? thinking he could have at least told me it would be a minute because he had to turn it on

To be honest, the key problem seems to be this dunce's involvement. If he wasn't such a tool the guy in the garage would trust him to bring the money in later. As it stands he ends up going through the motions arse about face. I have been to pre-pay garages before, usually around Newry. It never occurred to me to put the nozzle in the car before I paid.

So the question is whether this joker is operating with the consent of the management. If so then the garage is at fault. If not then the cretin is at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Meirleach

I dunno lads, I know my mother for one, if she'd paid and the petrol attendent had walked off, would have started up the car and drove off in this situation!

...Then again, most attendended pumps I've been at tend to perform the process as such:

1) Ask how much you want.
    2) Fill it, and disconnect it.
    3) Collect the money for the fill.

Which would of course have avoided this whole situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

dont think i could face losing all my no claims, im 22 now and have nearly 5 years! it would be a bit heart braking to lose them all over this.

How many pumps are there? Should check and see if the others are loose, some kind of safety issue there, seeing that a car can physically pull out out the the ground and disconnect it from the tank :D

How fast did you take off? :D

Also if there is then theres a leg to stand on, also the attendant, if hes not employed and the owner is allowing him fill cars, theres another leg.

Your best off to consult with a solicitior about this, I'm sure if you have claims against the owner that could get him in trouble then he might let you off the hook.

But why male models?

eh?
    this just confirms my previous reply, a saturday night and you are stuck waffling over some forum. such an interesting life you lead mate

you my friend are doing the exact same thing.

A petrol pump won't send the signal to activate it until it is out of where it normally sits so if the fella was alone and put it back then there would be no signal asking to activate so that isn't an option.

Like i said ground or in the fuel tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Should have said nothing to the gardaí, too late now

I don't think it's 100% fault of either party, both you and the garage are to blame

The insurance companies can hash it out between themselves

If the garage want to take you to district court then get advice but don't stress over it

I love the idea of making money from youtube, definitely do that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

i would not speak to a garda about this without a solic present,no way,you said earlier you went to the guards and they said it was nothing to do with them,yet they come to you for a statement,to be fair these young cops would not have a clue who is wright r wrong here,from what i have seen with a lot of em,a row starts like this,they wait for someone to have an over the top reaction ie start swearing or something then side with the other party.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the car is nothing special and never really expected some one to be that thick that they couldnt put petrol in without a mishap

Says the guy that couldnt manage to let someone else put petrol in his car without causing a massive **** up.

lee3155 wrote: »
    Something I can't seem to click with, How the hell did the pump come out of the ground?!?

Aren't they supposed to be bolted tight to the ground?

Also, the attendant walked away and left the nozzle in the car while he went to turn on the pump. Isn't that kind of dangerous?

However, there are a few grounds for you to stand on but is it really worth all the hassel, you could pursue that route and end up costing yourself more that bargained for.

It would be much easier to get it fixed out of your insurance and forget about it!

Oh and next time check your mirrors when at the tank :D
    your guess is as good as mine, doesnt seem it was secured very well. the owner is a bit of a cowboy! im gona go to a solicitor i think i have a good enough case. filling it up myself from now on definitely the safest option!!!

i would not speak to a garda about this without a solic present,no way,you said earlier you went to the guards and they said it was nothing to do with them,yet they come to you for a statement,to be fair these young cops would not have a clue who is wright r wrong here,from what i have seen with a lot of em,a row starts like this,they wait for someone to have an over the top reaction ie start swearing or something then side with the other party.
    they said they only came to me because your man made a complaint about me damaging the pump. although he did ask for my license and insurance policy number, he was traffic core cop!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Should have said nothing to the gardaí, too late now

I don't think it's 100% fault of either party, both you and the garage are to blame

The insurance companies can hash it out between themselves

If the garage want to take you to district court then get advice but don't stress over it

I love the idea of making money from youtube, definitely do that :D
    yeah id rather go to the district court and fight it out, its worth a shot and hopefully the judge will see it from my side :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

your guess is as good as mine, doesnt seem it was secured very well. the owner is a bit of a cowboy! im gona go to a solicitor i think i have a good enough case. filling it up myself from now on definitely the safest option!!![/QUOTE]
    errr, well, maybe....:) Ah sure, what's the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

the car is nothing special and never really expected some one to be that thick that they couldnt put petrol in without a mishap

As far as I can tell, the only mishap was you jumping into the car and driving off with the pump still in the car. I don't see how you can blame anyone else for that one, let alone call them stupid.

Pottler wrote: »
    your guess is as good as mine, doesnt seem it was secured very well. the owner is a bit of a cowboy! im gona go to a solicitor i think i have a good enough case. filling it up myself from now on definitely the safest option!!!
    errr, well, maybe....:) Ah sure, what's the worst that could happen?

fuel... spurting... life... flashing...

i think the only surefire trick if your going to pull this kind of shenanigan is to drive away quickly from the pump to be sure you don't get caught... in the mushroom cloud

andyseadog wrote: »
    i think the only surefire trick if your going to pull this kind of shenanigan is to drive away quickly from the pump to be sure you don't get caught... in the mushroom cloud
    why report me to the administrator ? you can give it but u cant take it? pussy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

andyseadog wrote: »
    fuel... spurting... life... flashing...

Lights... match... BOOOOM!

was speaking to a fella who had the same kind of experience but didnt damage the pump as badly! nothing happened to him and they put the blame on the attendant!! still dont think he should have left the car unattended with the pump lying in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

You don't have to worry as you were insured should you or both you and the garage be liable, question is was the person at the pump covered by the owners insurance, In any case I don't think its nice the way you keep calling them names, people make mistakes that's what insurance is for if we were all perfect they would be out of business.

making money of the cctv still sounds intriguing :rolleyes:

why report me to the administrator ? you can give it but u cant take it? pussy

BRTky.jpg?1321408042

i didn't report your posts, they're hilarious, i love them.

your all "simpleton" this and "retard" that and "pussy" the other though so i'd say a lot of other people have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

yesterday i went to a local petrol station, pulled up at the pump put down the window and told the attendant to put a fiver in. i then hopped out and went over to him to give him the 5 euro, he was inserting the nozzle into the car at this stage. it was about a minute or so before he was finished or so i assumed, i looked over my left shoulder and watched him leave the pump and he then went into to the shop. i thought ok job done away we go. so i take off and as i get to the end of the next pump (which was in front of me) i hear this noise which i thought was just my wheel clipping the kerb so i drove on but the noise continued so i stopped and got out. next thing i turn around and there is the pump pulled out of the ground lying on its side with petrol spurting out!! the attendant had left the nozzle in the car when he went into the shop because he then said "i needed to turn the pump on", which i was obviously unaware of. at this stage the boss comes out and starts putting all the blame on me. he said not one word to the fella who was supposed to be putting the petrol in. i tried to tell him what had happened but he was having none of it and kept saying i have it on camera, more or less being a complete wanker. i have since become aware that the fella who was putting the petrol in doesnt actually work there at all, which kind of clicked into place because when it had all happened he went over and sat on a wall the whole time the i was there until after i left. he is meant to just hang about the station so the man who owns him lets him put the petrol in when ever he is about, bit of a strange arrangement if you ask me! the boss has now made a complaint to the guards and they called to my house today for a statement. he is looking me to pay the bill for repairs to the pump which i would think will be quite costly. any opinions would be welcomed.

I don't know when I laughed so much.
    why did you get out to pay him? he would have come to you when he was finished filling the €5 which would take him 20 seconds.
    I would say it's 50/50 blame here.

Shakti wrote: »
    You don't have to worry as you were insured should you or both you and the garage be liable, question is was the person at the pump covered by the owners insurance, In any case I don't think its nice the way you keep calling them names, people make mistakes that's what insurance is for if we were all perfect they would be out of business.
    if its looking like i am going to have to pay some or all of the bill id rather try work out an arrangement with him, leave insurance companies out of it if all possible!! yeah its a bit harsh but he clearly didnt have a notion what he was doing

If you are filling up in Galway can you post here the night before so i can drive to Roscommon or something, thanks

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    If you are filling up in Galway can you post here the night before so i can drive to Roscommon or something, thanks

i laughed so hard a little bit of pee nearly came out :D

• Advertisement

if its looking like i am going to have to pay some or all of the bill id rather try work out an arrangement with him, leave insurance companies out of it if all possible!! yeah its a bit harsh but he clearly didnt have a notion what he was doing

You were in getting €5 of petrol
    You feel you have a case

Why in the name of god would you even admit partial responsability, imo you have it but for the love of god don't admit it or you could end up with a bill for 8 new pumps and a 2 week holiday for the simpleton and the retard in the bahamas for mental distress. Keep shtum

We may be taking the piss out of you abit but you have overall recieved a fair amount of good advice from this thread and i wouldn't say that making this thread was overall a bad idea.

Pulling the piss is done for a reason and that is to reinforce the fact you have made a mistake and to give you abit of a dig for it so you will remember.

Worst thing you can do is leave thinking we are just a bunch of internet trolls and head out to work/uni on monday and not check your mirror and change lanes into the path of an arctic.

Ok lets summarise.

1. CHECK YOUR MIRRORS
    2. Admit nothing.
    3. Don't let people of unknown intellect near your car with a hose which only fuctions to send large quantities of a highly flammable substance near your fuelcap (even if they are really really nice awww)
    4. Fuel pumps cannot be activated unless out of the cradle (it's why he left it in your fuel tank)
    5. Don't assume that other people won't fcuk up sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement