Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yea running stock and the latest OTA update as of last week or the week before.

Only thing I'd done was rooted it. But even a factory reset and no root didnt help.

I could make one call, then it would stop working.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Hi all, Have searched but cant find this on here.

Very happy with phone overall but just noticed i cant watch rte live on the stock web browser. Streamin works fine for youtube app, sky go app and the tg4 live website through my browser on the phone. I've tried rte live both on 3g and wifi at home and it still won't work. The strange thing is the advertisment runs fine when i choose the program but then the actual program wont come on, screen stays black but a clock runs at the bottom.
    I have the latest flash player and as i said those other live ones work fine. Phone is has not been rooted or changed in anyway from when i got it in carphone warehouse. Does anyone else have this problem with rte.ie/live/ (It used to work fine on my S2.)
    Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭glennryan

I noticed a hairline crack on the silver frame of my S3 on the volume side of the phone. It was never dropped or abused ,in fact it wrapped in cotton wool ...so to speak.
    I have seen on line, that the problem has been reported by other users of the S3.
    I have reported it to my network provider, and it has been reported to Samsung through their repair service.
    I am wondering has anyone else had this problem in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

apparently there have been mysterious cracks appearing alright... i hafnt seen anyone else here report it so far.. you are the first. afaik its caused by the way they glue the gorilla glass to the screen so they know abuot it and should repair it no hassle (im sure warranty would cover that)
    still inconvenient having to send your phone away for a few days....

• Advertisement

Hi all, Have searched but cant find this on here.

Very happy with phone overall but just noticed i cant watch rte live on the stock web browser. Streamin works fine for youtube app, sky go app and the tg4 live website through my browser on the phone. I've tried rte live both on 3g and wifi at home and it still won't work. The strange thing is the advertisment runs fine when i choose the program but then the actual program wont come on, screen stays black but a clock runs at the bottom.
    I have the latest flash player and as i said those other live ones work fine. Phone is has not been rooted or changed in anyway from when i got it in carphone warehouse. Does anyone else have this problem with rte.ie/live/ (It used to work fine on my S2.)
    Any help greatly appreciated.

have you tried other browsers? obviously not an ideal answer, im guessing somneone else can cehck for u before i can (tomorrow morning before i get wifi again)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Did you manage to get an answer on this from VF?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Anyone know repair times with emobile the shop rep said minimum of two weeks, :( phone loosing signal , freezing getting hot slow response,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

kenyard wrote: »
    have you tried other browsers? obviously not an ideal answer, im guessing somneone else can cehck for u before i can (tomorrow morning before i get wifi again)

Chrome FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kaimera wrote: »
    My 2 month old GS3 is gone back for repair.

Calls stopped working. Incoming and outgoing.

Call timer was on the screen but no dial tone before hand and couldnt hear anything.

I'm not the only one with the issue seemingly.
    Got it back from meteor.

Repair shop replaced the "logic board".

Need to charge it some and update to test.

[update]

So much for the latest fw on the phone. I had the LH1 modem update to get! lol.

Phone appears to be fine. I can make calls! \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am also on Meteor and have no problems at all with the phone thank god. The battery was very bad for the 1st few days but its fine now after a few cycles of charging. Its a cracker of a phone in every sense of the word....sorry a few of you are not enjoying it as much as you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

hi guys
    i also have some weird things happening with my sgs3

for example
    when im browsing on white web pages sometimes i see rippes in the background but just for a while
    battery life sometimes is excellent and sometimes i need to charge it twice a day
    about a month ago i had some update through the network which i did (forgot the size of update) but it didnt do anything major
    also considering that phone is with 1Gb of memory sometimes i have feeling that he uses it all even if i turn off everything in task manager and history of programs...
    when i do restart memory falls down to 409Mb of usage but after an hour let say it jumps up to 600mb...
    i have nothing major on the phone that requires that much of memory usage

Erper wrote: »
    hi guys
    i also have some weird things happening with my sgs3

for example
    when im browsing on white web pages sometimes i see rippes in the background but just for a while
    battery life sometimes is excellent and sometimes i need to charge it twice a day
    about a month ago i had some update through the network which i did (forgot the size of update) but it didnt do anything major
    also considering that phone is with 1Gb of memory sometimes i have feeling that he uses it all even if i turn off everything in task manager and history of programs...
    when i do restart memory falls down to 409Mb of usage but after an hour let say it jumps up to 600mb...
    i have nothing major on the phone that requires that much of memory usage

touchwiz the samsung os seems to use the most of it. dont bother ending programs yourself. android is optimised to end processes not needed or whatever. i have no issues with sluggishness.. jellybean update in a few days will really speed things up.
    my only major gripe is the home button. it takes half a second to respomd as it waits for a second press to fo the voice search thing...
    edit: just installed a memory cleaner and wiped everything and had 450mb free after.
    before it it jumped beteeen 170 and 50mb but because of what i said. andrpid has an inbuilt memory manager which optimises everything. ... installing other ones just interferes imo... sincr i cleared it screens load slow as they arent cached or in memory already... i guess it might be helpful for clearing begore games like gta but I never had a problem

quick question...
    when is Three network planing to send us update for sgs3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Erper wrote: »
    quick question...
    when is Three network planing to send us update for sgs3

Dont wait for it....update from the phone itself or use kies if the network dont support it.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont wait for it....update from the phone itself or use kies if the network dont support it.

afaik three was having roaming issues with the phone so you need to use their custom firmware version of the updates

kenyard wrote: »
    afaik three was having roaming issues with the phone so you need to use their custom firmware version of the updates

i didnt get any update over the phone and kies is showing that phone is on latest software..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

When you update via kies, do you lose your existing settings and apps?
    Do we have to take a backup?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Trying to upgrade the firmware on my S3 through Kies, the update downloads, but I keep getting this error message "cannot access the model information server"
    Any ideas what the problem is - could be because I'm behind a proxy at work?

Running stock ICS on my phone, have it rooted but no custom firmware/rom applied

• Advertisement

Trying to upgrade the firmware on my S3 through Kies, the update downloads, but I keep getting this error message "cannot access the model information server"
    Any ideas what the rpboelms is - could be because I'm behind a proxy at work?

Running stock ICS on my phone, have it rooted but no custom firmware/rom applied

it could be due to your phone connection to pc...
    sometimes cable gets cranky and lose connection to it...
    i have similar problem

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Any ideas what the problem is - could be because I'm behind a proxy at work?

Sounds something is blocked from your internet and my guess if you doing it from work then defo the proxy is blocking the server. give it a try from home maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

just noticed that it says "No rooted phones" on the OTA advice page for the phone on samsung.com
    wonder if that's part of the problem?

All my machines at home are running Linux, no Windows partition, is there anyway to upgrade the firmware in Linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

just noticed that it says "No rooted phones" on the OTA advice page for the phone on samsung.com
    wonder if that's part of the problem?

All my machines at home are running Linux, no Windows partition, is there anyway to upgrade the firmware in Linux?

i can think of two options:

1) Install virtual machine on Linux for Windows.
    2) download an odin version and install from work PC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I see the app; Badass Battery Monitor getting suggested on a few sites as a good way to find out.

EDIT: now called: GSam Battery Monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Converted over from an iPhone4 last week - loving it! Although I was loving it more yesterday... hopefully someone can help.

I'm with 3 and use the phone to tether via wifi hotspot. This was working perfectly until yesterday when I created a new APN (see here).

Now when I try to connect, my laptop can't connect. It sees the hotspot, and I get prompted for a p/w, but can't connect.

I've deleted the "new" APN and restarted the phone (so I'm using the phone as it was). Didn't work.
    I've deleted all wifi n/w's on the laptop (removing legacy details). Didn't work.
    System restored laptop to a week ago. Didn't work.

If I disable security on the hotspot it works, but I don't want to run an unsecured hotspot in work :(

Any ideas? Anybody in the same boat?

I'm struggling with google.

Update: got it sorted. Somewhere along the jiggs & reels I managed to switch "allow all devices" off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do 3 allow hotspot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Business account, so yes.

Advertisement