Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Zulu wrote: »
    Extra update: it's fu(king Kies! When I installed Kies again it goes tit's up. I'm guessing it's something to do with the drivers included in Kies.

So, working off the assumption that I can't use Kies, can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) app for backing up, syncing, and file sharing? Cheers

if you are rooted titanium backup does all your backups.
    it wont sync or fileshare, but backups are very handy on it, just click backup all system and apps and it does.
    you can then restore messages, contacts etc from it individually as you require etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Have a few problems just started for no apparant reason.

The s3 is rooted. The ext sc card is visable in file manager, but not visible in gallery or music player apps. Also ,the phone is not visible to 2 pc's anymore.

Have tried all the settings i can think of, usb debuggin etc..

These problems seem to start after trying to upload a video to facebook.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

blueyedson wrote: »
    Have a few problems just started for no apparant reason.

The s3 is rooted. The ext sc card is visable in file manager, but not visible in gallery or music player apps. Also ,the phone is not visible to 2 pc's anymore.

Have tried all the settings i can think of, usb debuggin etc..

These problems seem to start after trying to upload a video to facebook.

Any ideas?

i had same problem with S2...
    after rooting and using different system on the phone i had that problem...

try to restoring default system on it, it should work...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

My girlfriend's s3 just took a swan dive to the ground & the screen is fecked. Its not insured. Anyone know off hand what rough price to expect to get a replacement screen? Is it a doable job for most phone repair places?

• Advertisement

~200 yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anyone recommend someone to replace an S3 screen in the Wicklow area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

sentient_6 wrote: »
    My girlfriend's s3 just took a swan dive to the ground & the screen is fecked. Its not insured. Anyone know off hand what rough price to expect to get a replacement screen? Is it a doable job for most phone repair places?

You could always insure it and then claim, chill.ie do insurance for €38 per yr, I think the excess is €50

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

Hi, I got my screen replaced for 130e yesterday. Look up scissorhands phone repairs on adverts.ie...Top bloke qorking out of Malahide

very very cheap there. had heard because the s3 screen is glued to the glass that it cost a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

My screen broke yesterday! The phone didn't fall, it was cracked when I took it out of my pocket. Doesn't seem to be as tough as the s2.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

Thanks kenyard. My bad, that price is for S2...S3 is 165e, again I recommend him, took him 10 mins to do my screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I dropped mine last week onto concrete - I watched it bounce three times and thought oh crap. Screen is fine but the metal trim has a chunk taken out of it in 3 corners.

Think I dodged a bullet.
    fguinan wrote: »
    My screen broke yesterday! The phone didn't fall, it was cracked when I took it out of my pocket. Doesn't seem to be as tough as the s2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

thats nothing new...
    sometimes i have to charge mine twice a day to get it sort it...
    still waiting on stupid update...
    they said they will reduce usage of battery for 30%...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Zulu wrote: »
    I don't have a gmail account
    reminds me of that quote from 'Friends....
    joey wrote:
    You don't have a TV???? What's all your furniture pointed at?

more than likely down to apps you are using or have installed recently. some things cause extra wakeup and eat the battery more. email sync and stuff eats it quite a bit..
    standby should use around 1% per hour, standby with mobile data on eats more...
    im messing with roms at the minute so cant comment on longevity.. the irish csc really limits the sound though.
    just realised that when running the customs... music is so much louder or well its possible make louder.. i cant listen to it on anything near full volume i have to pull headphones off :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I have to second what kenyard has said.

It's mostly likely the app(s) you have installed or it could be that the signal where you frequent is not good.
    When I was with 3Ireland my phone kept switching between 2G and 3G and it would drain from 100% within few hours.
    Had to manually keep it on 2G as the 3G was too weak.

I'm happily getting a full 2 days with a lot of usage... calls, texts and lots of internet and netflix. I'm on stock ROM btw.

Coming from an SG2, it's still a little strange not having to charge it every night. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

did anyone notice bug in receiving messages...

if your vibro is turned on, the receiving message first vibrate for 5+ seconds and than shows up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

hi I have a galaxy 3 and my girlfriend has another Samsung, think it's a y, but we were talking on the phone earlier when both our phones started flashing, it meant we couldn't hang up at the end, anyone have any idea why?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

switching between 2G and 3G and it would drain from 100% within few hours.
    Had to manually keep it on 2G as the 3G was too weak.

This sounds like the kind of thing people lambasted Apple about.. "You're holding the phone the wrong way"

For me, and I can see by the other people posting here, the battery is not good, If I charge the phone fully at night, wake up in the morning, use it moderatly through the day, twitter, FB, bit of Internet, calls and texting (nothing major), and then head out on a night out, the battery will be dead before I get home and I can see I'm not the only one.

To me (an IMHO), if you are saying the battery life is X, then it should be X with realistic usage, if I wanted to turn off my 3G and my mail sync and all that other stuff, then have we really moved on from the Nokia 3210?!

Obviously I'm not angry at anyone here, I'm just saying there seems to be some people here that don't want to acknowledge the phone has fundamental issues with Battery, WiFi and Phone signal and the solutions they give to resolve them are akin to the same things Apple got abuse for when giving work arounds for their issues

All that being said, after seeing the iPhone 5 yesterday, I'm happy I made the switch, IMHO, the SG3 is better in most ways to the iPhone and I'm not tied in to Apple which I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I have the S3 over a week now and notice that the Network Signal strength is no way near as good as it was on my last phone which was the S2. The signal strength is consistently worse in all locations and I even dropped a call yesterday in a place where it never happened before. When I put the two phones together in the same place I see a 2 bar signal strength difference, both connected up to O2.

Is this a known problem or likely to be just my handset? .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@Shades799 - I was only giving you a 'real world' example based on my own usage (and I use my phone a hell of a lot).

On eMobile, I'm getting on average 2 days from a single charge. I wasn't getting that on 3Ireland.
    What network are you on btw?

From helping friends and family with battery drain issues, most of the time it's because they have a ridiculous amount of apps running in the background. Hence why a lot of people would point the figure at apps.
    (on a seperate note, wtf do so many ppl have the daily fail app?? :rolleyes:)

Anyhow, I hope you get your battery drain issue sorted. Perhaps try flashing another/updated ROM?

Edit: the 2G/3G switching is a known issue on the 3Ireland network

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Dazzy wrote: »
    I have the S3 over a week now and notice that the Network Signal strength is no way near as good as it was on my last phone which was the S2. The signal strength is consistently worse in all locations and I even dropped a call yesterday in a place where it never happened before. When I put the two phones together in the same place I see a 2 bar signal strength difference, both connected up to O2.

Is this a known problem or likely to be just my handset? .

I had an N8 before the S3 and the N8 constantly dropped calls at home (where I have a poor signal). The S3 seems to be much better at signal strength to me.

there can be differences in antenna alright. i have had no issues. i pick up a signal in work where noone else has one.. so dont see it as an issue..for me anyway.
    To me (an IMHO), if you are saying the battery life is X, then it should be X with realistic usage, if I wanted to turn off my 3G and my mail sync and all that other stuff, then have we really moved on from the Nokia 3210?!

jellybean brings in some nice sync options.. you can set it to run the sync every X minutes during peak hours and every X during off peak. so for work etc you can set it at 5,10 minutes it updates, should you require. and then night etc set it just every 1-2hrs or as you desire. to me its a great idea for battery saving.. i think juice defender has these options in it anyway but theres a load there which is awkward setup.
    with the inbuilt nfc it will be handy also. looking at pog mo thoins comments where he has a setup to auto put his phone on silent and disable stuff when he goes to bed etc, auto wifi settings, which is handy for friends coming to ur house etc..

as for battery,
    im getting 2 days from mine (by that i mean morning of one day to evening in 40hrs time...with sync enabled running the above settings on auto brightness. general usage...
    with power savings enabled i can get 3 days possibly even more, though sometimes it lags on things so i dont have it turned on when i have no need... i stretched it out over the mitchelstown festival checking online for stuff occasionally, updating fb etc, took almost 200 pictures, some videos, ringing ppl lost, texting etc thats 2.5 days of usage. on the second or last day friends had to leave their phones into get charged in a phone charge place.. i had no such issues.
    i wont complain about the battery at all. if you have issues its because of your setup. unlike apple, android is customiseable (that correct spelling?). people install loads of apps, and dont bother with settings, just leave defaults and phone wakes up etc when you have no need for it to do so - eating into battery.
    in standby on decent settings i was getting battery drain of ~1% every 2 hours... every night. so wake up and there is ~3-5% battery drain only. at work, 12 hour shift, less than 10% drain.
    to me thats awesome. easy 200 hours standby. there have been people reported a week of battery with moderate usage - average 2x 5 min calls per day, 10 texts...

Erper wrote: »
    did anyone notice bug in receiving messages...

if your vibro is turned on, the receiving message first vibrate for 5+ seconds and than shows up...

anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

My wife has a problem with her 2 month old S3. On voice calls she can hear the other person but they can't hear her.

Has a setting been inadvertently changed, or is there are simple fix? It would be good to know before going back into the phone shop.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My SG3 keeps dropping texts. I'm on Emobile.

I get message not sent notification a lot, and I am not getting texts a lot. Anyone any clues?

• Advertisement

Network three keep saying that they sending update to JB but only update you get is for stability...
    Even in that update they messed up something as some things are not working properly...
    Eg
    Sound of message
    Vibro
    Calls and sound
    Using network internet instead of wifi by only connecting to G even if you are in open area

JB IS 4.1
    After update phone is still in 4.0.4

Advertisement