Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Three

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

coach22 wrote: »
    I got the update too. Would love to know what its for. Search is still working but there is no brightness setting in the pull down settings which i actually wanted

Yea same here, I've a 3rd party app doing it but it's not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

coach22 wrote: »
    Three

Same, got the notification this morning but have been delaying installing it just in case, seems benign enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

ota updates are behind.
    do it via kies and you should get I9300XXBLG8

thats the latest version and should still have the search functionality. apparently it was removed by accident in the previous one is all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

kenyard wrote: »
    ota updates are behind.
    do it via kies and you should get I9300XXBLG8

thats the latest version and should still have the search functionality. apparently it was removed by accident in the previous one is all

Are you talking branded or unbranded? If your using UK firmware then you get newer updates than those who don't.

In my case, as my 3 phones (in the past) never hang on to proper 3G cells after firmware updates, I'm hanging on to the three branded updates... for now at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Is it possible to 'unbrand' the S3?
    I have an unlocked but branded Vodafone S3. I presume its branded because it has a lot of VF cr@p apps in it, but no VF logo. Its definitely unlocked because I can use any carrier's sim in it.
    I'd prefer to get rid of all the useless bloatware and just have the standard Samsung S3 firmware / software. Would make it easier to get updates instead of waiting for VF to decide to release their version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Italia wrote: »
    Is it possible to 'unbrand' the S3?
    I have an unlocked but branded Vodafone S3. I presume its branded because it has a lot of VF cr@p apps in it, but no VF logo. Its definitely unlocked because I can use any carrier's sim in it.
    I'd prefer to get rid of all the useless bloatware and just have the standard Samsung S3 firmware / software. Would make it easier to get updates instead of waiting for VF to decide to release their version.

Check out CheckRom, it's the latest stock firmware with the bloat removed.
    http://checkrom.com/threads/gt-i9300-xxblfb-4-0-4-checkrom-evohd%E2%84%A2-v3-5.851/

After doing some reasearch I came across a few articles that show how you can flash the phone with I9300XXBLG8 Stock ROM (EU/UK simfree firmware) by using Odin flasher v3.04.

Will this work on my Vodafone branded S3?
    The phone was sim unlocked using a code supplied by Vodafone. Would flashing the phone to this new firmware have any impact on the simlock?
    Would changing the stock ROM to an official simfree version have any impact on warranty?
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Check out CheckRom, it's the latest stock firmware with the bloat removed.
    http://checkrom.com/threads/gt-i9300-xxblfb-4-0-4-checkrom-evohd%E2%84%A2-v3-5.851/

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not sure what's up with you but I have none of these problems. In fact most of the problems I see in this thread could be put down to not being used to the Android ecosystem/hardware

My battery was at 50% last night at the end of the day with normal use (a few calls, some browsing and was out and about for a few hours). Then again, I'm a long time Android user on my 3rd Android phone, I'm over the flashy widgets stage and I know what exactly what I can have running to maintain good performance and battery. I've also removed all the Samsung crap as I don't use it.
    I have no problem with wifi, but I have a high end router. Wireless is subject to interference from other devices in your own home, not much you can blame Samsung for here, it could happen any device.
    I've not had any screen issues, in fact I think the screen is excellent.

I'm going to send the phone back to O2 and ask for a replacement, that will confirm if it's a handset issue or not. The wifi signal issues are with more than one router and if I put my iPhone and Samsung side by side the iPhone has a signal when the SG3 doesn't, same with phone signal, picking up Edge\HDMSA (or whatever it's called) on my SG3 where the iPhone has 3G.

Somethings just not right with it.

(PS Screen is excellent, the screen redraw isn't which is a performance thing not a screen thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Has anyone had the phone just randomly re-starting? It has happened to my other half a few times over the weekend, usually when browsing on Chrome.

She is also seeing here saved customised works also being removed (which has also been mentioned earlier in this thread).

For the time being I'm going to get her to switch back to the stock browser and see if that stops the re-boots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Could anyone help with this,

Changed my facebook password last night and had to 're authorise the galaxy. Now however all the contact pictures have disappeared from my contacts.
    There names are still there and are connected to their facebook accounts but it won't display their profile image as a contact pic.

Anyone know how to fix this ???

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Davie89 wrote: »
    Could anyone help with this,

Changed my facebook password last night and had to 're authorise the galaxy. Now however all the contact pictures have disappeared from my contacts.
    There names are still there and are connected to their facebook accounts but it won't display their profile image as a contact pic.

Anyone know how to fix this ???

I had the same problem with mine. Eventually, only fixed when I had to uninstall and reinstall facebok after the last update.
    However, I would try syncing it through facebook first (on the settings in the facebook app) and then through the settings in your contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

tried this in a different thread to no avail. Looking for a widget that gives the whole month view with each task in each individual day, not a task list

Seb_bixby wrote: »
    I had the same problem with mine. Eventually, only fixed when I had to uninstall and reinstall facebok after the last update.
    However, I would try syncing it through facebook first (on the settings in the facebook app) and then through the settings in your contacts.

Thanks for the suggestions, tried both a fresh install and the app settings. No luck tough, the contacts are showing up in my phone book which means it is syncing with Fb, just not displaying their profile picture.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Actually scratch the above i just figured it with the help of some googling.

Just for anyone else who is ever stuck.

Delete the apps cache and data, uninstall and reinstall. When you first sign in choose sync all.

Contacts (with pics) will then begin to sync.

Is it possible to backup and restore APN's without rooting the S3?

My phone is unlocked but currently branded Vodafone and I'd like to install stock firmware XXBLG8 on it to change it to a fully "simfree" version (without VF bloatware).

I understand that it can be done via Odin without rooting the phone. The only drawback is that the APN's need to be backed up somehow.
    All of the apps I've seen on Play market say that you need to root the phone first to backup & restore :(

I'd rather not root the S3 as I don't want any problems with my warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

No need to back up. I did the exact same with my Vodafone branded hanset-just flash the UK unbranded firmware using odin. Apn's will be there after the flash.
    Is it possible to backup and restore APN's without rooting the S3?

My phone is unlocked but currently branded Vodafone and I'd like to install stock firmware XXBLG8 on it to change it to a fully "simfree" version (without VF bloatware).

I understand that it can be done via Odin without rooting the phone. The only drawback is that the APN's need to be backed up somehow.
    All of the apps I've seen on Play market say that you need to root the phone first to backup & restore :(

I'd rather not root the S3 as I don't want any problems with my warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I'm using the GoSMS app for texting but sometimes when I get a message I get the pop up notification for GoSMS and also a notification in the bar from the stock messaging app. It doesn't happen all the time and I have GoSMS set as the default app for reading and sending messages so not sure what could be the problem.

Also when I call someone and the linked facebook picture comes up it is very fuzzy. I remember in a previous phone it was crystal clear. Is this a facebook problem or would I have it set up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

open the stock messaging app, settings and switch off notification.
    s_carnage wrote: »
    I'm using the GoSMS app for texting but sometimes when I get a message I get the pop up notification for GoSMS and also a notification in the bar from the stock messaging app. It doesn't happen all the time and I have GoSMS set as the default app for reading and sending messages so not sure what could be the problem.

Also when I call someone and the linked facebook picture comes up it is very fuzzy. I remember in a previous phone it was crystal clear. Is this a facebook problem or would I have it set up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

elderlemon wrote: »
    open the stock messaging app, settings and switch off notification.

Cheers!! Simple as that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

OK, so great news (for me anyway!) I got an update for the phone 2 days ago and the battery issue has been completely resolved. On moderate usage I got the full day out of it, if I was a bit smarter with the battery I'd say I could definitely get about 30 hours.

Still not so happy about the WiFi signal and the 3G signal, you can say what you like about it being the routers problem and not the phones, but if most of the routers around the place don't work well with the phone I would say it's the phones problem, even if the "problem" is that it's too advanced. That been said it's not a critical issue and the +s are definitely better than the -s.

One app I really love is Llama and it does something that really made me want to move from the restrictive iOS. You can set profiles by time (or location using phone masts which doesn't drain battery any more than normal usage). So I have my phone setup to be on my quiet profile in work and loud outside of work. Also, it allows you to set events, so, if my battery goes below X, Turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, brightness, Mobile Data etc automatically. Fantastic!

On the whole, after the update and 3 weeks or so of usage, I'm very happy I made the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Shades799 wrote: »
    I'm going to send the phone back to O2 and ask for a replacement, that will confirm if it's a handset issue or not. The wifi signal issues are with more than one router and if I put my iPhone and Samsung side by side the iPhone has a signal when the SG3 doesn't, same with phone signal, picking up Edge\HDMSA (or whatever it's called) on my SG3 where the iPhone has 3G.

Somethings just not right with it.

(PS Screen is excellent, the screen redraw isn't which is a performance thing not a screen thing)

Good Luck getting a replacement of that "SHOWER" if its outside 30 days...and if it is they still wont give you a new phone unless the old one is repaired and goes faulty again within 90 days of said repair. This went on for 3 repairs with nmy old S2....and totally against the law but they dont give a fook UNLESS YOU TAKE THEM TO THE SMALL CLAIMS COURT AND WIN :D and end up with a new S3 for a two yr old S2.

MWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Back on topic SOZ!!!! :rolleyes:

Did it yesterday :)

Went as smooth as silk.
    Only problem I encountered, was when I tried to restore my backed up apps. Kies would not restore. Tried rebooting etc a number of times, but still nothing. Slightly pissed that I've had to download everything all over again.

Even more ticked off is that my database (regularly backed up) will not restore on the newly reinstalled app. In essence I'd need to uninstall the newly installed version and get the "backed" up version restored (I hope this makes sense) :confused::confused::confused:

Anyone have any experience with this type of problem? (restoring apps)
    elderlemon wrote: »
    No need to back up. I did the exact same with my Vodafone branded hanset-just flash the UK unbranded firmware using odin. Apn's will be there after the flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I took the manual option and took screenshots of APN settings which then saved to my dropbox account. Didn't need them as settings were there after flashing stock, but its an option if you don't want to root.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Anyone have trouble with the text message centre number being wiped from phone . Every couple of weeks my s3 stops sending messages and when I go into settings there is no number in message centre. Whats more I can't edit the number to add it back in, I have to restore defaults on msg settings before its editable again. It's happened about 6 times since June.

I did consider Titanium, but ended up leaving it because I didn't want to root my phone and voiding warranty.
    Don't know enough about how to undo rooting (and avoid stuffing up the warranty), to go down that route
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

I did consider Titanium, but ended up leaving it because I didn't want to root my phone and voiding warranty.
    Don't know enough about how to undo rooting (and avoid stuffing up the warranty), to go down that route

by flashing another firmware and removing all the bloatware, you have already voided your warranty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

Sometimes when I put the phone down and its unlocked on a soft surface it makes a weird beeping noise and then repeats a few moments later! Does anyone know what that is?! Its really weird, not an issue but I'd like to get to the bottom of it. Its doing it now lol... Awesome phone though :)

• Advertisement

Nope, don't think so.
    I used genuine stock Samsung firmware - the UK simfree version.
    If you boot up in download mode it says 'official' under firmware and there is no yellow triangle.
    Flashcount is still 1 (which is as it was before I flashed).

Warranty is with Samsung, not your carrier (although you go to them as first stop). Had this issue before with my N8. Bought it from Vodafone. They said 1yr warranty, Nokia said 2yr. About 2 months into 2nd year, phone developed a problem. went to vodafone and was repaired under warranty by Nokia.

akamossie wrote: »
    by flashing another firmware and removing all the bloatware, you have already voided your warranty!!!

Advertisement