Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

elderlemon wrote: »
    Have a problem with my S3. Sometimes, when I click to call someone , the dialing screen doesn't show up for about 10-15 seconds. ie the phone just sits then and eventually kicks off the dialing.

Anyone any idea what it could be - driving me nuts!

Weird one... You have Skype or viber or similar installed?
    My guess is it is taking time to decide what to dial with...
    Besides that are you using stock rom?

@all people with wifi issues. It's actually mainly the router being old seems the problem. Try wifi somewhere else to confirm I'm right... Maybe it's time to upgrade to wireless-n

About post before mine. Just go to settings in stock browser select brightness and set it to 50% brightness. Browser has its own brightness setting and when on automatic always is crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Hi All - I was thinking of getting this phone and I have to decide by Monday...is the SGS3 a disaster? So many people seem to be having issues...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

nellocono wrote: »
    Hi All - I was thinking of getting this phone and I have to decide by Monday...is the SGS3 a disaster? So many people seem to be having issues...??

Zero issues here, the phone is perfect. I suspect most of the issues are people not being used to Android which has it's own learning curve coming from any other phone. You need to wander deep into the settings to get the phone the way you like it. I don't use lots of the stock apps, like the browser, others on the market have many more features.

I've not had one. Most people. Complain about battery. To be honest the screen eats battery. I've gotten 3 days when busy. Standby time is awesome. That's with wifi and mobile data on all the time pretty much
    Atm I'm getting 2 days no problem now. Battery improves through use it seems.
    Wifi issues quite a few are having them. I reckon its old routers more than anything. But replacement phone solves them so doesn't make sense...
    It is the best phone on the market atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Thanks folks...I am definitely used to Android so I think I will be getting a SGS3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Thanks folks...I am definitely used to Android so I think I will be getting a SGS3 :D

I'm new to android, and apart from the battery taking a bit of tweaking, I'm very happy with the S3. I've had it for about 3 weeks now, after 2.5 years of iPhone.

Bottom line :

I'd recommend an s3 to anyone, great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Have one for two weeks, really like it so far! It's a huge upgrade from my previous phone, a HTC Desire. Battery life looks to depend on how much you have the screen on as with little use I've seen only drop ~17% from being unplugged at 5.30 in the afternoon 'til the following morning.

I've installed the popular Omega ROM which is a tweaked version of the stock Samsung one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Is anyone having problem with the widgets? I'm with O2 and the widgets are pretty much useless, nowhere near as fluid as what I was used to with the N8 (believe it or not!).

Basically Facebook never updates, and only seems to include some old and random updates in varying time order & the email widget doesn't update emails until you have actually opened up the email application.
    The video and music widgets don't seem to allow you to open the music/video libraries, they just play whatever is currently loaded.

I have tried settings etc, nothing obvious seems to be the problem. Any ideas?

widgets should mainly be related to their apps i would have thought so its the apps problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sometimes apps like juicedefender can make em stop working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Is anyone using netflix on the S3?
    I've tried watching it with 6mbps download and 2 mbps upload but at a certain time into it (most often around 8mins) the screen freezes and yet the sound continues. It then doesn't update the screen again...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

For some reason notification ringtones for one of my contacts is that ridiculous whistling. But when I go into contacts and that persons profile, under ringtones it says default. But the default is a different sound.

Anyone know how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Just noticed this thread.

For some reason notification ringtones for one of my contacts is that ridiculous whistling. But when I go into contacts and that persons profile, under ringtones it says default. But the default is a different sound.

Anyone know how to fix this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I've tried watching it with 6mbps download and 2 mbps upload but at a certain time into it (most often around 8mins) the screen freezes and yet the sound continues. It then doesn't update the screen again...?

Yeah been using on the S3 - no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Issues, what issues :D

Go away and buy it ffs, there's nothing to touch it out there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I have that exact same problem sometimes. I think it's to do with the Netflix app not being able to correctly downsample the video on the fly if your connection speed drops at all. I've found killing the app and relaunching a few minutes later sorts out the problem.

The only other minor thing I've come across is that when I set an alarm using s-voice it will function properly until I have to confirm that the time is correct, an action which prompts the phone to instead set an alarm for 22:59. Every. Single. Time.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having that problem because it's a feature I'd actually like to use. Other than that I've had no issues, cracking phone and fast replacing my iPad thanks to the 64GiB micro sdxc card I've lashed in!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

I like the S3. Is that creates problems like that??

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I want to puts some music on my s3. I have kies installed on my laptop runing windows 7. When i plug the phone in to the computer though, the computer is not recognising it. Neither in kies or in my computer. On the phone it says it is connected as a media device. Any ideas on what is wrong?

should work straight away just open my computer and it is there.... as a quick workaround i would suggest putting some music on a micro sd and putting it into the phone then u can transfer it directly to the phone.

i never had any connection issues. just plug it in and it works straight off. installing kies doesnt affect that in any way, infact kies only use for me was to upgrade to the latet software version
    media device is how it should be connected so there shouldnt be an issue.
    try connecfting it to another pc/laptop meanwhile also see if thats the issue

i got it working in the end by switching the phone off and turning it back on while it was plugged in to the computer. cheers anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

coach22 wrote: »
    I want to puts some music on my s3. I have kies installed on my laptop runing windows 7. When i plug the phone in to the computer though, the computer is not recognising it. Neither in kies or in my computer. On the phone it says it is connected as a media device. Any ideas on what is wrong?
    Have you installed the driver software of your handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Just installed new s3 update 27mb, lost local search eg type app name or contact name into Google search box, annoying, time to go Modding me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

chris1970 wrote: »
    Just installed new s3 update 27mb, lost local search eg type app name or contact name into Google search box, annoying, time to go Modding me thinks

I think that is due to Samsung losing a patent court case to Apple. They certainly lost something to do with the search function.

the one where apple were forced to post on their main online page that samsung didnt copy their product by a us judge was brilliant.
    might stop all this stuff about patent infringements. i respect people having to pay royalties etc.. but most of the stuff isnt really innovative e.g screen shape sizes etc when we had them from tv's etc already - just the fact they werent phones or tablets :S

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

bogman wrote: »
    Issues, what issues :D

Go away and buy it ffs, there's nothing to touch it out there at the moment

Dunno Bogman, I wouldn't be so adamant, I'm coming from the IP4 (not 4S) and it's touch and go which ones better. Have it a week and the issues I'm seeing are battery drain, poor WiFi quality and screen draw.

Also, it doesn't seem as slick to use as the iPhone but I'm willing to put that down to the learning curve.

I'm a programmer but not a fanboi so I think my issues are pretty legit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Shades799 wrote: »
    Dunno Bogman, I wouldn't be so adamant, I'm coming from the IP4 (not 4S) and it's touch and go which ones better. Have it a week and the issues I'm seeing are battery drain, poor WiFi quality and screen draw.

Also, it doesn't seem as slick to use as the iPhone but I'm willing to put that down to the learning curve.

I'm a programmer but not a fanboi so I think my issues are pretty legit!!

Not sure what's up with you but I have none of these problems. In fact most of the problems I see in this thread could be put down to not being used to the Android ecosystem/hardware

My battery was at 50% last night at the end of the day with normal use (a few calls, some browsing and was out and about for a few hours). Then again, I'm a long time Android user on my 3rd Android phone, I'm over the flashy widgets stage and I know what exactly what I can have running to maintain good performance and battery. I've also removed all the Samsung crap as I don't use it.
    I have no problem with wifi, but I have a high end router. Wireless is subject to interference from other devices in your own home, not much you can blame Samsung for here, it could happen any device.
    I've not had any screen issues, in fact I think the screen is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

chris1970 wrote: »

Hmm I've just got a update, (on three so very first update) don't know what it for but local search is still working. (type contact name into the google box on the home screen and able to pull up contacts names)
    maybe its back now some are saying ? I never lost it however.

yes got new update this morning, local search is back, few different call pictures, battery charging, that all thats obivious atm

I got the update too. Would love to know what its for. Search is still working but there is no brightness setting in the pull down settings which i actually wanted

• Advertisement

coach22 wrote: »
    I got the update too. Would love to know what its for. Search is still working but there is no brightness setting in the pull down settings which i actually wanted

what carrier you with ,its been on mine since a few weeks ago, emobile baseband i9300XXLG8 ;)

Advertisement