Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Anyone having problems with the proximity sensor? As in only working when it feels like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi

Anyone else getting a message in Kies saying that the device does not support upgrading via Kies?

I'm on Three, but I flashed the UK firmware onto it a couple of months ago (to the baseband version that ends XXLFB).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Did you flash using odin? If you did then that's the problem. I believe once you use odin you can't go back to kies. Could be wrong on that though. Can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Hi

Anyone else getting a message in Kies saying that the device does not support upgrading via Kies?

I'm on Three, but I flashed the UK firmware onto it a couple of months ago (to the baseband version that ends XXLFB).

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Dropped my phone at the weekend, and cracked the screen. Immediately after, it was still partially visible, but has now gone completely black

The phone itself is still functioning correctly. I've been using the instructions here - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/42491/how-to-remote-view-and-control-your-android-phone/ - to view the screen on my PC. The phone screen is still responding to touch, so all that needs to be replaced is the screen, nothing internal

Unfortunately the phone is rooted, which voids the warranty. While the screen was still partially visible, I installed Triangle Away and reset the counter to zero. I've followed the instructions here - http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-unroot/how-to-unroot-galaxy-s3-i9300/ - to remove the root and install the stock ROM for my network on the handset

I still have access to the filesystem, so there anything else (files/folders/apps/etc) I should remove that would indicate it was once rooted before I hand it in to be repaired?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Common problem.
    There are 2 instances (AFAIK) when the "unable to upgrade via Kies" message appears:
    - If the phone is rooted and you have any other rom installed
    - If (and I suspect this is the case) you had an unlocked phone, flashed the stock rom with Odin but didn't change the CSC.

I went 2nd method and had the identical problem. Simply sorted out the CSC and Kies magically updates again. Added bonus - no rom count,no yellow triangle and waranty still valid.
    This thread will answer most of your questions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610
    Hi

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Really? Isn't accidental damage included as part of it?
    I've phone insurance as part of my bill as well, will that cover it?

The flash count increases (am open to correction) only if you have a rooted phone and upgrade any rom or, if the rom is not a stock rom.

BTW - did you ever find out about those non-working codes from Vodafone? I've still got that problem :confused:

• Advertisement

Italia wrote: »
    Common problem.
    There are 2 instances (AFAIK) when the "unable to upgrade via Kies" message appears:
    - If the phone is rooted and you have any other rom installed
    - If (and I suspect this is the case) you had an unlocked phone, flashed the stock rom with Odin but didn't change the CSC.

I went 2nd method and had the identical problem. Simply sorted out the CSC and Kies magically updates again. Added bonus - no rom count,no yellow triangle and waranty still valid.
    This thread will answer most of your questions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

Yes, I put the UK Rom onto it using Odin.

The phone wasn't unlocked, AFAIK, as I believe only the very early ones that Three sold were unlocked.

So, now that I've flashed through Odin, does that mean I have to use it every time an updated firmware comes out? If I can't use Kies (not bothered about that really) can I still get OTA updates if I have the patience for them?

Thanks

I think what Italia is saying is that if you go back and flash the CSC it will fix the problem. Far as I know the Kies updates and OTA updates are the same so if Kies is ok with it then you should also get updates OTA.

The phone wasn't unlocked, AFAIK, as I believe only the very early ones that Three sold were unlocked.

So, now that I've flashed through Odin, does that mean I have to use it every time an updated firmware comes out? If I can't use Kies (not bothered about that really) can I still get OTA updates if I have the patience for them?

Thanks

Sort out the CSC and all should be ok.
    Think of CSC as similar to Regions on DVD's. What is happening, is that Kies (and OTA) know where your phone is located. If your firmware and CSC are matched for the wrong region it simply will not update.

Thanks

Sort out the CSC and all should be ok.
    Think of CSC as similar to Regions on DVD's. What is happening, is that Kies (and OTA) know where your phone is located. If your firmware and CSC are matched for the wrong region it simply will not update.

I had a look on ZDA and in the section for CSC files it doesn't show a particular one for 3 Ireland.

When I flashed to the XXLFB baseband, the file that goes onto the phone was a single file, it didn't contain a seperate file for CSC.

This is the page I'm looking at on XDA:

The individual CSC packages don't seem to go up as far as the XXLFB baseband. Does that matter? Can I run the new baseband with an older CSC package? If so, which one do I use?

Sorry for the dim questions, but I just want to get it right!

Ideally I'd like to use Odin to flash JB onto the phone, but if that's not an option right now, I'd at least like to be able to do it OTA when Samsung release it. At the moment, if I'm reading it correctly, I can't update the firmware via Kies or OTA, so that's no good to me.

OK,
    CSC is not an additional file. It is a geographical code.
    If you flashed an unbranded stock rom, then you won't get a specific CSC for Ireland. That only happens if you flash a branded rom (eg one provided by VF, 3, O2 etc).
    You must use the UK unbranded CSC code which, if I remember correctly, is BTU.

I flashed XXBLG8 (which is way later than yours) and had no problem changing to BTU as a CSC. Kies and OTA work as designed
    I had a look on ZDA and in the section for CSC files it doesn't show a particular one for 3 Ireland.

When I flashed to the XXLFB baseband, the file that goes onto the phone was a single file, it didn't contain a seperate file for CSC.

This is the page I'm looking at on XDA:

The individual CSC packages don't seem to go up as far as the XXLFB baseband. Does that matter? Can I run the new baseband with an older CSC package? If so, which one do I use?

Sorry for the dim questions, but I just want to get it right!

Ideally I'd like to use Odin to flash JB onto the phone, but if that's not an option right now, I'd at least like to be able to do it OTA when Samsung release it. At the moment, if I'm reading it correctly, I can't update the firmware via Kies or OTA, so that's no good to me.

OK,
    If you flashed an unbranded stock rom, then you won't get a specific CSC for Ireland. That only happens if you flash a branded rom (eg one provided by VF, 3, O2 etc).

I flashed XXBLG8 (which is way later than yours) and had no problem changing to BTU as a CSC. Kies and OTA work as designed

Thanks,

I was looking at the XDA forum about flashing with Odin, and I got the impression that the CSC might have come as a seperate file.

I just found a forum that showed how to choose the CSC (involves typing a code into dialer). I did that and selected BTU from the list.

Only snag now is it seems to have completely reset the phone, and wiped all my settings. sh**e.

100% correct...unfortunately :(
    As far as I can see, there is NO way around this problem. I can tell you I was seriously pi$$ed when it happened to me - especially when I found that my backed up apps didn't restore. Like an idiot I reinstalled each one manually :mad:. Now have found out that once I log into my Play Store, they are all there, waiting to be reinstalled...simples :rolleyes:
    I did that and selected BTU from the list.
    Only snag now is it seems to have completely reset the phone, and wiped all my settings. ****e.

100% correct...unfortunately :(
    As far as I can see, there is NO way around this problem. I can tell you I was seriously pi$$ed when it happened to me - especially when I found that my backed up apps didn't restore. Like an idiot I reinstalled each one manually :mad:. Now have found out that once I log into my Play Store, they are all there, waiting to be reinstalled...simples :rolleyes:

Thanks. It's updating through Kies now to the firmware you mentioned above.

you (and I) should now be able to update to JB when it is released.
    Unless I'm completely off-track, the new OTA/Kies update will not involve wiping your phone again. It's a once-off problem unless you manually flash roms (the non OTA updates) on a regular basis.
    I flashed mine mainly to get rid of Vodafone's crap but also to have a "sim-free" firmware. I had a branded Nokia N95 stuck on an obsolete piece of firmware that VF refused to update, when others had loads of bug fixes etc....lesson learnt, never again.
    Thanks. It's updating through Kies now to the firmware you mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Italia,
    I'm on LG8 too but never changed the CSC. If I change it now to BTU will that reset the phone?

If this is the case I may as well just wait for JB and do it all at once.
    OK,

you (and I) should now be able to update to JB when it is released.
    Unless I'm completely off-track, the new OTA/Kies update will not involve wiping your phone again. It's a once-off problem unless you manually flash roms (the non OTA updates) on a regular basis.
    I flashed mine mainly to get rid of Vodafone's crap but also to have a "sim-free" firmware. I had a branded Nokia N95 stuck on an obsolete piece of firmware that VF refused to update, when others had loads of bug fixes etc....lesson learnt, never again.

Thanks again.

It;s running the newer firmware now, wiped and all, but at least I can get the apps back through the Play Store.

How did you manage to get rid of the crapware?

When I flashed the phone with the XXBLG8 rom, all the VF crap (and there was a lot of it) was automagically removed.
    Unfortunately the Samsung bloatware is still there, but I can live with it. In fact, I actually use some of it :o.
    The only way you're ever going to get a completely bloatware free phone, is via rooting and one of the custom roms.
    Thanks again.

It;s running the newer firmware now, wiped and all, but at least I can get the apps back through the Play Store.

How did you manage to get rid of the crapware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Or root and use Titanium BackUp to either freeze or uninstall the system apps you don't want.

Lads can someone explain this csc codes to me here, I flashed the blg8 rom, kept getting software update error, kept coming back update failed! Just wondering if it has anything to do with the csc codes?

No, the csc code is something you set at the end, after flashing the rom. As I gave an example earlier - it is almost like setting your dvd region on a player. Nothing to do with the actual rom itself.
    The XXBLG8 is a stock rom (i.e. genuine Samsung non modded) and you should have no problem flashing your phone (without rooting) and using Odin 3.04.
    Couple of things you can try-
    - make sure Kies in NOT running. If possible uninstall Kies. Kies hates Odin.
    - follow these steps to the letter: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671969
    - try on a different pc / laptop
    - change the micro usb cable (I used the official one from my old Nokia N8). Thinner cables tend not to work properly or heat up.

If you're still getting errors, check that your phone is not network locked or more (there are several levels of locks. Most are only network locks)
    srdb20 wrote: »
    Lads can someone explain this csc codes to me here, I flashed the blg8 rom, kept getting software update error, kept coming back update failed! Just wondering if it has anything to do with the csc codes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Zulu wrote: »
    I'm with 3 and use the phone to tether via wifi hotspot. This was working perfectly until yesterday when I created a new APN (see here).

Now when I try to connect, my laptop can't connect. It sees the hotspot, and I get prompted for a p/w, but can't connect....

Update: got it sorted. Somewhere along the jiggs & reels I managed to switch "allow all devices" off.
    Extra update: it's fu(king Kies! When I installed Kies again it goes tit's up. I'm guessing it's something to do with the drivers included in Kies.

So, working off the assumption that I can't use Kies, can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) app for backing up, syncing, and file sharing? Cheers

Why are you using Kies? Nobody uses it. Your contacts, calendar and apps are backed up to Google so they are taken care of. For photos I have dropbox upload so they are backed up and my music is all on my laptop anyway so there's always two copies of that (laptop and phone).

Dump kies.
    Zulu wrote: »
    Extra update: it's fu(king Kies! When I installed Kies again it goes tit's up. I'm guessing it's something to do with the drivers included in Kies.

So, working off the assumption that I can't use Kies, can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) app for backing up, syncing, and file sharing? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

elderlemon wrote: »
    Why are you using Kies?
    I'm not!
    Nobody uses it. Your contacts, calendar and apps are backed up to Google so they are taken care of.
    I don't have a gmail account, so how do my contacts get backed up?
    and my music is all on my laptop anyway so there's always two copies of that (laptop and phone).
    Yea, I'm not too concerned about backing up my music, but without Kies installed, when I plug my phone into my laptop, I can't navigate to it in Windows explorer. I'm guessing that the Kies drivers enable this! I want to copy across my music.

What I do want is to be able to create phone backups. So, say if I loose my phone, I can restore it. Like a system restore for phones.

Advertisement