Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I never understood how Hogan got away with saying to kids, eat your vitemins, go to school, say your prayers.
    I take it he wanted kids to follow god thus they should be against violence. Yet hogan was beating guys up every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Kolido wrote: »
    I never understood how Hogan got away with saying to kids, eat your vitamins, go to school, say your prayers.

The Bushwackers used to lick kids faces so Hogan was quite tame at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I adore Bret Hart, he's my favourite wrestler of all time....

But he wasn't the right top, top man for WWF during the 1990's. His best stuff was as a heel after WM 13 and at times he was laughable as a face and some of his promos were horrendous. I remember hating the Hakushi and Jean Pierre Lafite stuff. Macho Man should have been far more prominent when Hogan after KOTR 93, and Mr. Perfect should definitely been given more of a chance. But I'm probably disproving my own point by how much I actually love the Hitman and the last Raw I actually looked forward to was his return.

Eddie Guerrero was average. Very average. The only thing that really made him was him and Chris Benoit hugging at WM 20. His Latino heat stuff was never main event. And Chavo is awful.

With the exception of Owen Hart, Bruiser Brody and a very select few more, there haven't been many wrestling tragedies over the years. Perfect, Davey, Test, Bryan Adams etc, etc were, by most accounts, all drug addicts and were the architects of their own downfall and I geniunely dislike when people place them in the same category as Owen Hart or Brody or Joey Marella.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I never understood how Hogan "got away" with saying to kids, eat your vitemins, go to school, say your prayers.
    I take it he wanted kids to follow god thus they should be against violence. Yet hogan was beating guys up every week.

Such an unusual thing to say :confused:

WWF were marketing Hogan as king babyface - all the talk of vitiams, prayers (etc) was just crap to build him up as the "ultimate goodguy" ... but in terms of fighting what about his entrance theme?! - "I am a real american, fight for the rights of every man" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I never understood how Hogan "got away" with saying to kids, eat your vitemins, go to school, say your prayers.

Such an unusual thing to say :confused:

WWF were marketing Hogan as king babyface - all the talk of vitiams, prayers (etc) was just crap to build him up as the "ultimate goodguy" ... but in terms of fighting what about his entrance theme?! - "I am a real american, fight for the rights of every man" :pac:

Yea probably phrased it wrong, I was getting at the contradition between what he preached and what his job was. But as a kid back then you didnt really give it much thought, just looking back now it seemed contradictory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

1. I hate the Rock at the moment. The roster deserves the respect of the company and the fans enough to not be trodden on everytime he makes an appearance. I 'supported' Cena at Wrestlemania even though I'm no fan of Cena.

2. I'm no fan of Cena. He is a good wrestler, but he's not the best on the roster and gets far too much airtime. I also wish he would lose a match without controversy more than once a year. He shouldn't be Superman. He also shouldn't be the "Head Face" of the company, picking a fight with a different heel every month and doing that annoying thing where he pulls their character apart in a promo. Because of the massive differences of character in the wrestlers he faces, Cena ends up standing against everything and for nothing (except tolerance and respect, which he isn't very convinging in standing up for, especially since he usually resorts to questioning someone's manhood, which isn't particularly tolerant of the vast majority of men who aren't testosterone junkies).

3. The brand extension is appalling these days: get rid of it altogether and make Smackdown a decent show by pulling more high carders into it - and Raw a more interesting show by showing off more mid to low card talent.

4. Along the same lines, I want the WWE C'Ship and the WHC to be merged and the belt of the latter kept on. The WHC is treated as a bit of a joke by the company and the belt for the WWE C'Ship is just god awful.

5. I don't like Punk since he became WWE Champion. He made the belt boring, not interesting, and even his heel turn hasn't signalled the return of interesting Punk. Even just before he did get the belt against ADR, he wasn't saying anything I would consider interesting. I mean, against a Mexican Aristocrat all he had to say was "You're boring." As a Punk, couldn't he have been a bit harsher on the rich and unlikeable Alberto? In the middle of an unemployment crisis in the U.S., couldn't he have said anything that would be a bit relevant about a rich guy who mistreats his manservant and spends all his money on fancy cars??!?! It would've been slightly better than "You don't have anything to say. I do" which kept begging the response from ADR, "What DO you have to say, Punk?" The answer would've been nothing.

6. I love Sheamus. I love his Irish caricature, I love the brogue kick even though its a cheap finisher. I thought his last two battle against Jericho was awesome at the Royal Rumble. I didnt' appreciate the 18 second destruction of Bryan at Wrestlemania but that's mainly because I was still ordering drinks at the bar in Capt. Americas. I wish he would return to doing a bit more "bully-bashing" like he did before he became Champ. Aside from that though, I really like him as champ. Like others I hope to hell that his next challenger is not Alberto the bore (del Borio?).

7. Like others I think the tag team c'ship needs to be promoted more. Probably not like others I would like to see top names being involved in more permanent teams and wrestling for it, but I would also like these topnames to lose matches without controversy. Cena/Ryder could've been a good contending team. Ziegler/Swagger should've been champions at least for a while. Sheamus and Christian would make a great team now. I think mixing it up would also allow topcarders to be in the limelight but allow more variation in the contenders for the main singles' belts.

8. The IC/US championships should be more relevant, but the Rhodes/Ortons/Barratts of the world should be challenging for one while the lower card wrestlers go for the other.

9. Ryback should be thrown in the bin and land on Miz in the process. Being unstoppable only means something if you've proven it against actual wrestlers instead of barely known jobbers (and the unfortunate Heath Slater). I doubt many people on here woud miss Miz?

10. Bring back the Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight division, i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

WCW always had the better roster when it came to in ring talent. For the most part they gave all their guys the ring time to work really great matches. Some of the PPV's in the 90s are a joy to watch if you enjoy pure unadulterated 'wrasslin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Steve Blackman was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I hate Shawn Michaels.

Wrestlemania X8 was good.
    XIX Was ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

Kurt Angle is massively overrated.

Whoa. Don't agree with that. He was the best in the business at his prime and is still better than most.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

jsmscork wrote: »
    Whoa. Don't agree with that. He was the best in the business at his prime and is still better than most.

This is the Unpopular wrestling opinions thread - where people can post whatever they like and not be challenged. So don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

jaykhunter wrote: »
    This is the Unpopular wrestling opinions thread - where people can post whatever they like and not be challenged. So don't!

I disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Personally, I think that is a dumb rule. Someone could make a post saying Ric Flair is the worst of all time and not have to say why they think that because we're not allowed question anything. If you have an opinion, you should have a basis for it. Otherwise, whats the point of a discussion forum?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Steady on GnR, it's my rule. I've explained this a few times already. EVERY other thread is that discussion forum. If you don't like what's being said in this thread, either stay out, or make a new thread discussing whatever's on your mind.

This is a bítch, moan and complain thread - a place to vent without fear of reprisal or having to back your point up.

I think wrestling fans are irritating. I like to watch it around only a select few of my friends. Most of the people I see online (with the exception of the majority of this forum, almost all of the time ;) ), make moronical statements and aren't in touch with reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Ryback = Goldberg impersonater, Feed me more, shut the hell up
    CM Punk is stone Stone Cold Wannabe character
    Albertio del rio rip off of Scott Hall
    Broadus Clay looks like a fat frog and his dances are retarded
    Dolph Zigler rip off of the ASS Man
    John Cena thinks hes black
    Zach Ryder is not macho man randy savage
    Miz impersonater of Mr perfect
    David Otunga just a ****in idiot
    New chap that looks like Kurt Angle is a rip off of Kurt Angle
    Sheamus has ginger pubes
    Big Show is old and fat
    Have Kane as weak as kitten and constantly looses
    This Anger management thing is pathetic
    Every match Cena ha he get the **** kicked out of him for 10 mins, then he does that stupid suplex, five knuckle shuckle and the F U.
    WWE sucks now bring back the 90's and early noughties :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

- Kofi Kingston should be a main eventer.
    - Jack Swagger isn't a bad wrestler, just atrocious on the mic.
    - Damien Sandow was funny at first but the gimmick wore off fast. Plus he's a dull wrestler
    - The Rock is genius on the mic but not a brilliant wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I dont like people who watch wrestling with the mentality of "he should be booked to win because he deserves a push" or anything like that. I find it far more enjoyable to watch it like a 5 year old kid, thinking theres no way the 7 footer can be beaten or whatever the match is. Its so much more enjoyable, thinking "he should win because xyz" takes a lot of fun out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Steady on GnR, it's my rule. I've explained this a few times already. EVERY other thread is that discussion forum. If you don't like what's being said in this thread, either stay out, or make a new thread discussing whatever's on your mind.

This is a bítch, moan and complain thread - a place to vent without fear of reprisal or having to back your point up.

unpopular wrestling opinion
    Most mods on boards.ie would make better wrestlers than they do mods.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

My sincerest apologies..... You're welcome to you're little playground so. I'll stick to proper fora from now on :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

My sincerest apologies..... You're welcome to you're little playground so. I'll stick to proper fora from now on :rolleyes:
    Well, they meant that quite literally. O_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Fora? Who uses that term? Certainly not someone who gets basic grammar wrong anyway I would have thought.

Folks, its quite simple. This is more or less a list thread. This has been quite clear for some time now. It is not a debate thread. The rest of the forum is for that. Usually I am all for people having to back up their opinions

So, if you see something here which you think is worth having a go at, why not use it to start a new thread perhaps.

If you do not like how the thread is proceeding, do not post in it.

That's pretty much it on the matter.

Though a shiny star will go to the person who posts "the rule in this thread is stupid" :)

Good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In regards to TNA I think Bully and Devon just scream midcard. I know some people are big supporters of Bully but I just see him as a minor league player. A 40 something year old guy who shouldn't be pushed anywhere near the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I prefer Aces & Eights to the TNA locker room.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

The Invasion angle in 2001 was awesome. It didn't matter that a lot of WCW's stars wern't involved, it was the last time I truely felt that wrestling was unmissible. You had Heyman's promos, Austin's heel work, guys like Angle, RVD, Jericho and Booker T coming into their own, RVD's massive crowd reactions and an actual good solid storyline that lasted a good 6 months that had a beginning, a middle and an end - pretty much unheard of in the WWE since.

It was the last hurrah of the attitude era, and I think the reason most people didn't like it is because the product has become seriously stagnant since SS 2001, due to the lack of competeion after the fall of W/ECW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Heyman and Punk together does nothing for either of them.

Rey Mysterio can still have good matches if he has the right opponents, and adapts his style.

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    The Invasion angle in 2001 was awesome. It didn't matter that a lot of WCW's stars wern't involved, it was the last time I truely felt that wrestling was unmissible. You had Heyman's promos, Austin's heel work, guys like Angle, RVD, Jericho and Booker T coming into their own, RVD's massive crowd reactions and an actual good solid storyline that lasted a good 6 months that had a beginning, a middle and an end - pretty much unheard of in the WWE since.

It was the last hurrah of the attitude era, and I think the reason most people didn't like it is because the product has become seriously stagnant since SS 2001, due to the lack of competeion after the fall of W/ECW.
    SO SO SO TRUE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Punk isthe biggest waste of airtime only surpassed by triple H. They bring/brought nothing.

Triple H just got in the way of good storylines with his Whitney talk through his nose voice.

Never rated punks mic or in ring work.

Advertisement