Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Danny Dyer innit.
    Inevitable who is Danny dyer question.... What is football factory... Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

lets ****ing ave it then !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

SHAT IT YEW SLAAAAHHHGG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

DX sucked and were very cringey, crap compared to the NWO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Ring of Honor is absolute **** a lot of the time. Some of the matches are very poor and the commentary is absolutely atrocious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

token101 wrote: »
    Ring of Honor is absolute **** a lot of the time. Some of the matches are very poor and the commentary is absolutely atrocious.

Present day?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I think Ryback is nothing more than a big roided up jackass with limited wrestling ability. His goofy assed gimmick makes wrestling seem even more stupid when you try to explain it to a non fan. I hope he's released soon and that he manages to get himself off steroids.

To be fair though, the gimmick is simply an extension of the person, he is just a guy whacked out on roid rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I've watched the match 3 or 4 times but Ryback damn near ruined the 6 Man TLC match at erm TLC with his superman comebacks and non selling. The guy makes Goldberg look like Eddie Guerrero in comparison.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Santino deserves main event shot at least,

Santino deserves main event shot at least,

A push would do, he put in a great performance in the chamber only to be squashed by Bryan soon after and its all been downhill since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think the character of Santino Marella needs an overhaul and he should jump Cesaro backstage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Clicks on the Unpoplular opinion thread to find random popular ideas.

I want more Kurt Angle ruined wrestling type posts.

I think the 2 HBK Vs Taker matches at Wrestlemania are 2 of the most overrated matches in WWE history. I hate matches that are considered classics just because they kick out of each others finishers a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think the 2 HBK Vs Taker matches at Wrestlemania are 2 of the most overrated matches in WWE history. I hate matches that are considered classics just because they kick out of each others finishers a few times.
    Ah come on there was more than just that. My unpopular opinion would be I have no time for the rock, if only steve austin was back instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Clicks on the Unpoplular opinion thread to find random popular ideas.

I want more Kurt Angle ruined wrestling type posts.
    Damn straight he did.

Here's one. AJ Styles isn't hugely special and if say Evan Bourne, Tyson Kidd or Fergal Devitt had gotten his TNA push they'd have been equally successful. If Styles was in WWE he'd be lost in the mid card like Bourne.

Damn straight he did.

Here's one. AJ Styles isn't hugely special and if say Evan Bourne, Tyson Kidd or Fergal Devitt had gotten his TNA push they'd have been equally successful. If Styles was in WWE he'd be lost in the mid card like Bourne.

Ye he probably would be but that's not down to his in ring talent, rather it's a criticism of WWE's attitude to those who have built a reputation outside their promotion, who don't conform to the WWE ring style and because he is rather small. You know Bourne was a ROH and indie circuit regular, he never scaled the heights of Styles, a genuinely top class worker.

Ye he probably would be but that's not down to his in ring talent, rather it's a criticism of WWE's attitude to those who have built a reputation outside their promotion, who don't conform to the WWE ring style and because he is rather small. You know Bourne was a ROH and indie circuit regular, he never scaled the heights of Styles, a genuinely top class worker.
    If TNA got behind Bourne like they did AJ he'd have done just as well. He's just as athletic a worker. Neither are gonna set the world alight as a promo lets face it. In fact AJ's southern drawl is a bit lol offputting.

Wrt WWE not pushing guys due to size - explain Bryan, Punk and Rey to me. Difference between them and AJ/Evan is the former have charisma that the latter vanilla midgets can only dream of.

The majority of the modern audience who cheer Flair haven't a clue who he is beyond his spots and woooing. They couldn't name his best rivalries or matches and like the e-c-dub brigade haven't a clue what he was like when he was in his peak 20+ years ago other than hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If TNA got behind Bourne like they did AJ he'd have done just as well. He's just as athletic a worker. Neither are gonna set the world alight as a promo lets face it. In fact AJ's southern drawl is a bit lol offputting.

Wrt WWE not pushing guys due to size - explain Bryan, Punk and Rey to me. Difference between them and AJ/Evan is the former have charisma that the latter vanilla midgets can only dream of.

AJ's heel promos do often be great. He sucks when playing the clean cut babyface, but pretty much everyone sucks at that role.

Bourne isnt anywhere near as good as Styles.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

AJ's heel promos do often be great. He sucks when playing the clean cut babyface, but pretty much everyone sucks at that role.

Bourne isnt anywhere near as good as Styles.
    Bourbe's a good little heel too. I don't think there's that huge a gap between he and AJ tbh. If he was given AJ's opportunities over the years he'd have flourished and done just as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I love Evan Bourne, and I'm not sure why.

If you think Styles is purely about athleticism then you don't fully understand what Styles is about. Sure he's great for the highlight reel, big dives, big stunts but he's also got excellent ring psychology, a great seller, the man can tell a story in the ring, can work different styles (no pun intended) and can get an opponent over. If it were just athleticism then Consequences Creed and Sonjay Dutt would have had a couple of TNA World Title runs each.

Exceptions to the rule I believe they are called. Are you really going to try to argue that there is not a big man policy in WWE? Oh and by the way all three went through hardships to get to their spot that the likes of Ryback never have to. Remember Rey being squashed by A-Train and Big Show? How about Punk losing to Striker and Hardcore Holly? Bryan losing to Sheamus in 12 seconds was it?

How many scintillating promos has Rey cut in WWE? Please reference 3. Ironically Bryan was considered a bit bland in ROH, only after the ROH vs CZW feud did he turn that opinion around. Styles isn't The Rock or CM Punk on the mic but he is fine, not great, not dreadful.

If you think Styles is purely about athleticism then you don't fully understand what Styles is about. Sure he's great for the highlight reel, big dives, big stunts but he's also got excellent ring psychology, a great seller, the man can tell a story in the ring, can work different styles (no pun intended) and can get an opponent over. If it were just athleticism then Consequences Creed and Sonjay Dutt would have had a couple of TNA World Title runs each.

Exceptions to the rule I believe they are called. Are you really going to try to argue that there is not a big man policy in WWE? Oh and by the way all three went through hardships to get to their spot that the likes of Ryback never have to. Remember Rey being squashed by A-Train and Big Show? How about Punk losing to Striker and Hardcore Holly? Bryan losing to Sheamus in 12 seconds was it?

How many scintillating promos has Rey cut in WWE? Please reference 3. Ironically Bryan was considered a bit bland in ROH, only after the ROH vs CZW feud did he turn that opinion around. Styles isn't The Rock or CM Punk on the mic but he is fine, not great, not dreadful.
    Styles is a bland vanilla midget. His selling is no better than the lads referenced earlier. They simply never got the opportunities he did.

Of course theres a big man policy in Wwe but smaller guys with exceptional talent like the guys referenced can break through. My point is that AJ fades in comparison to the Bryans of this world and would bee lost in the pack in WWE. HEs a good little worker but hes interchangeable with plenty other guys like Bourne.

The fact the lads paid their dues isnt really relevant. Ey was never a promo based guy. He has anintangible mystique thats hard to explain and is also one of the finest in ring workers of recent memory. He has so so much more than AJ Who as I Keep having to repat is no better than any of the bland croozers drowning in the mid card today. Its not Wwe's big man policy that would keep him down. Rey et al have shown that can be overcome. Its that he wouldnt stand out anymore than a host of guys already on the books.

Styles is a bland vanilla midget. His selling is no better than the lads referenced earlier. They simply never got the opportunities he did.

Of course theres a big man policy in Wwe but smaller guys with exceptional talent like the guys referenced can break through. My point is that AJ fades in comparison to the Bryans of this world and would bee lost in the pack in WWE. HEs a good little worker but hes interchangeable with plenty other guys like Bourne.

The fact the lads paid their dues isnt really relevant. Ey was never a promo based guy. He has anintangible mystique thats hard to explain and is also one of the finest in ring workers of recent memory. He has so so much more than AJ Who as I Keep having to repat is no better than any of the bland croozers drowning in the mid card today. Its not Wwe's big man policy that would keep him down. Rey et al have shown that can be overcome. Its that he wouldnt stand out anymore than a host of guys already on the books.

A word of advice, quoting Kevin Nash isn't cool, it simply reaffirms ignorance. Ironically he originally used that term in relation to Eddie Guerrero, was Guerrero a bland vanilla midget?

Why? Styles, like Bruan, has proved himself on the indie circuit and has worked with a number of different workers in a number of different promotions to great success. Oh and someone was showing me some Meltzer stars on the other thread, AJ has been part of a 5 star match, Bryan hasn't.

Given the opportunity and booked correctly I have no doubt that he would get over. Cream rises to the top, as Punk, Bruan and Rey have and AJ is certainly in that class. However it seems irrelevant given how unlikely he is to join WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

GTR63 wrote: »
    The majority of the modern audience who cheer Flair haven't a clue who he is beyond his spots and woooing. They couldn't name his best rivalries or matches and like the e-c-dub brigade haven't a clue what he was like when he was in his peak 20+ years ago other than hearsay.

Id go even further and say 30/40 years ago. Steamboat matches started 30+ years ago.

A word of advice, quoting Kevin Nash isn't cool, it simply reaffirms ignorance. Ironically he originally used that term in relation to Eddie Guerrero, was Guerrero a bland vanilla midget?

Why? Styles, like Bruan, has proved himself on the indie circuit and has worked with a number of different workers in a number of different promotions to great success. Oh and someone was showing me some Meltzer stars on the other thread, AJ has been part of a 5 star match, Bryan hasn't.

Given the opportunity and booked correctly I have no doubt that he would get over. Cream rises to the top, as Punk, Bruan and Rey have and AJ is certainly in that class. However it seems irrelevant given how unlikely he is to join WWE.
    Bryan has more charima in his left testicle than Styles could ever dream of and is ten times the worker. Reminding me about someone else's quote about snowflakes is a bit wtf!

Nash was wrong about Eddie. I am spot on about AJ.

Bryan has more charima in his left testicle than Styles could ever dream of and is ten times the worker. Reminding me about someone else's quote about snowflakes is a bit wtf!

Nash was wrong about Eddie. I am spot on about AJ.

Ye Bryan has shown great charisma, something he was accused of lacking earlier in his career. Styles has shown charisma, mainly as a heel but he is a likeable enough whitemeat babyface. You say that but you don't back it up, I at least referenced Meltzer's stars, and AJ did get number 1 in the Powerslam top 50 before.

Id go even further and say 30/40 years ago. Steamboat matches started 30+ years ago.

I`m being nice it is Christmas afterall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I miss HHH, something about the man makes the WWE shows seem more important when he is involved. Maybe I was brain washed when he was beating everyone into thinking WWE needs HHH.

• Advertisement

Ye Bryan has shown great charisma, something he was accused of lacking earlier in his career. Styles has shown charisma, mainly as a heel but he is a likeable enough whitemeat babyface. You say that but you don't back it up, I at least referenced Meltzer's stars, and AJ did get number 1 in the Powerslam top 50 before.
    Whether one thinks a guy is a good worker us subjective. Telling me someone else's view doesn't really convince me you're right, especially when its the opinion of the annoying goons at Powerslam. Meanwhile one five start bout from meter vs none is hardly compelling stuff. Im sure there are lots of poor guys with one match and lots of great guys with none. Proves nothing. If you're trying to tell me Styles has produced a better body of work across his career then Id have to disagree heartily. If you're not then Im left wondering why you're bringing up silly points about five star matches of ridic small sample size.

Advertisement