Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Paul Heyman is given wayy too much credit than he deserves.

ECW would always remain a niche product in the wrestling industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

RVD was better then most people in wwf/e after the invasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Wrestlers should get disqualified for punching.

It used to be an illegal move, when did that change?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't think I picked on anyone and I will apologise to whoever I offended if I did.

You didn't offend anyone! This is just a thread for venting without having to defend/justify yourself :)

That said, Test could've been a great transitional heel champion. Especially if he was paired with Shaneo, just like Big Show.

The Warrior doesn't get enough respect for his contributions to wrestling. He was thrown to the wolves post-Mania 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I would welcome back Jeff Hardy with open arms to the WWE even though he had been given umpteen chances to behave himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

-I believe that not many wrestlers have given as much of their body to the buisness as Mick Foley!
    When I saw his show is March it was woeful to see a man of his age so bad on his legs!

-I think "Macho Man" Randy Savage should have been inducted into the HOF before edge! (No disrespect to Edge, he's still one of my favourites!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think Chris Benoit gets a seriously bad rap and the issue deserves to be spoken about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Kurt Angle can be every bit as bad as John Cena is for no-selling prolonged offense. I stand by that by this question, how many times have you seen an opponent meticulously work Angle's neck, only for Angle to nip-up and do that top-rope arm drag? Which'd be fine, that's generally the measure of his gimmick, always intense, but then he'll just launch into moves of doom, from the Germans suplexes to the strap-down Ankle-lock, and the previous ten-minutes of a match you invested in means nothing. The heat doesn't even factor into the equation sometimes.

And, no, I can't forgive it based on the fact he throws in a couple of studied hammerlock-takedowns, bridges and waistlocks to make things look 'legit'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Kurt Angle can be every bit as bad as John Cena is for no-selling prolonged offense. I stand by that by this question, how many times have you seen an opponent meticulously work Angle's neck, only for Angle to nip-up and do that top-rope arm drag? Which'd be fine, that's generally the measure of his gimmick, always intense, but then he'll just launch into moves of doom, from the Germans suplexes to the strap-down Ankle-lock, and the previous ten-minutes of a match you invested in means nothing. The heat doesn't even factor into the equation sometimes.

And, no, I can't forgive it based on the fact he throws in a couple of studied hammerlock-takedowns, bridges and waistlocks to make things look 'legit'.

I blame him squarely for all the silliness you see on the Indies these days in terms of no selling and ridiculous false finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I blame him squarely for all the silliness you see on the Indies these days in terms of no selling and ridiculous false finishes.

I know, right? It's like a more wrestling-based variant of what ECW was often accussed of, in that it keeps surpassing itself, in order to garner a reaction. Basic 'rasslin logic, really, but still, there's a limit to how much you can do that and still hope to remain credible.

In ECW's case it was Russian leg-sweeps from balcony of the Hammerstein Ballroom to the tables below, whereas in lesser-indies, it's top-rope brainbusters that barely manage to crack a two-count.

This is why I think every single aspiring wrestler should be made to sit down and just watch Jake Roberts for a half-hour, not so much in emulation, but the simple notion that it's not so much what you do, it's how and why you do it.

Sorry, by the way, if I come across as an smarky-arse, it's the far opposite of my intention. I have the greatest love and respect for the craft, I just get niggled by being taken out of a decent show by silly stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Kane is a waste of space, his title reign was terrible, dominated by awful promos where with his constipated face he banged on about vengeance every ****ing 2 minutes while putting on bad matches with everyone not named rey.

Jericho, Benoit, Trips, Punk, Bryan, Edge, hbk and Taker couldn't get anything passable out of him workrate rise.

Those who complain about supposed "smarks" not getting it or not understanding the business are no better than those who moan constantly but watch.
    People are allowed to watch a show and if they feel its cack should be allowed to criticise it without been sneered at. Just because it may draw and pop a crowd doesn't mean a person is not allowed to dislike it. I mean its not as if we have any financial interest in it do we?:confused:

Listening to Alvarez moaning about everything is dull, its like Mark kermode now, both once were great fun but try to hard to be wacky.

Theme songs nowadays sound all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

- I think CM Punk has lost alot of momentum, but thats due to WWE not caring bout the WWE title enough to have it last on Raw and PPVs and giving him the spotlight he deserves.. it should of been Punk v Big Johnny not Cena, and as entertaing as the love triangle angle is punk should not be involved

- Kane is a better comedy character than badass

- If Cena was to leave WWE tomorow it wouldnt make a differance to the quality of the shows or the amount of people who attend as soon as Vince realizes this the better

- The only good thing about Alberto Del Rio is his finisher (actually his ring announcer is cool aswell)

Im a fan of Paul Heyman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

CM Punk was a moron to change his theme music and it has damaged his character a lot, good entrance themes require entirely different things than a good song normally does. The new one has the identifiable bit of white noise and is a much more well known song, but the last one sounded like a much bigger deal, don't think it's necessarily very heelish or anything either.

Plus it had this moment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84HA9CyHVSQ

Actually looking at that, a lot of it is down to how it suits a really flashy entrance titantron scheme.

I genuinely think if he still had that theme, his character wouldn't have shifted as much into the thing he is now, probably still very much a babyface all pally with Hunter and that stuff, but with sharper teeth or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I like the Brand split and hate it when Smackdown guys face Raw guys. I also hate when title holders get drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Dolph Ziggler is IMO The next Shawn Michaels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

World of Sport-era British wrestling was so dull. Couldn't possibly watch it again. Still have nightmares about Saturday afternoon TWC showing hours upon hours of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

World of Sport-era British wrestling was so dull. Couldn't possibly watch it again. Still have nightmares about Saturday afternoon TWC showing hours upon hours of it.

But NOAH at 2am them nites was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I once saw some Youtube videos of Finlay vs Davey Boy Smith from the 80's. It started to get boring after a while. All of a sudden a man started to sing out loudly "Boring! Boring! Boring!...". I think he did it continuously for a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I love watching World of Sport, have it set to record every morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

WWE needs the
    miz back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

AJ resembles an annoying 12 year old and Danielson with his 'weird beard' looks like a sexual predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Part of me hopes that the Big Show wins the WWE title at SummerSlam and never loses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Dolph Ziggler is totally over-rated.

I've seen the comparison to Shawn Michaels and I just don't get it, he lacks the flamboyance and cheekiness that HBK did (and does) and not nearly the same level of flair and style in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

The new NXT is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Cena puts over people...He never does and when he does ...Its not convincing even when punk beat him at money in the bank last year it still wasn't definitive it took interference from Johnny, Even last week on Raw 1000 Punk was made to look really weak again by Cena

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Dolph Ziggler is totally over-rated.

I've seen the comparison to Shawn Michaels and I just don't get it, he lacks the flamboyance and cheekiness that HBK did (and does) and not nearly the same level of flair and style in the ring.

One similiarity I would say is how the sell moves. They both sell like crazy although Ziggler is probably a bit more realistic. Michaels would often jump around the place after being hit and fall after almost every punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I miss Lay-Cool:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I never liked Shawn Michaels since he won his 1st WWF championship. I did however like the D-X stable. There is no doubt in his skills in the ring and on the mic. He is a legend obviously.
    I would say the same about Ric Flair, never liked him either.

Advertisement