Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    The Invasion angle in 2001 was awesome. It didn't matter that a lot of WCW's stars wern't involved, it was the last time I truely felt that wrestling was unmissible. You had Heyman's promos, Austin's heel work, guys like Angle, RVD, Jericho and Booker T coming into their own, RVD's massive crowd reactions and an actual good solid storyline that lasted a good 6 months that had a beginning, a middle and an end - pretty much unheard of in the WWE since.

It was the last hurrah of the attitude era, and I think the reason most people didn't like it is because the product has become seriously stagnant since SS 2001, due to the lack of competeion after the fall of W/ECW.

Sorry mods for discussion but just wanna say I agree with that. As someone who never watched WCW I thought it was great. Although I can understand why WCW fans would have been disappointed with the lack of top stars.

But definitely unmissable at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Sorry mods for discussion but just wanna say I agree with that. As someone who never watched WCW I thought it was great. Although I can understand why WCW fans would have been disappointed with the lack of top stars.

But definitely unmissable at the time!

Pardon my ignorance, but is this the same angle as when Raw opened with Eddie, Malenko, think it was also Benoit in the front row and then they interfered ? Been looking for that Raw for ages but can't find it anywhere, I remember thinking it was the real deal :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Pardon my ignorance, but is this the same angle as when Raw opened with Eddie, Malenko, think it was also Benoit in the front row and then they interfered ? Been looking for that Raw for ages but can't find it anywhere, I remember thinking it was the real deal :eek:

No that was when the Radicalz debuted(Benoit, Malenko, Saturn and Eddie). The invasion was done about a year later after Vince bought WcW. Its generally looked at as a missed opportunity due to the likes of the Nwo, Rey Mysterio, Sting and Goldberg not being involved on WcW's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It sucked because Booker and DDP were the only big names involved on the WCW side. Booker was still relatively new to the main event picture so probably wouldnt even count as a big name. That left DDP who got saddled with an awful angle where he stalked a minger. The WCW and ECW guys were never given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It was all about sticking it to the rivals though in McMahon's great plan though, I'm sure.
    Anyway, back on topic, off topic, whatever: I think it's bad we know so much about wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Hogan knows best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

January 31st 2000 should help you find it.

Alternatively, here's the first 11 minutes of that episode which includes the classic Raw theme music, red-hot fans at the beginning as the camera scans the arena (look how many fan signs there are), New-Age Outlaws entrance, Steve Blackman and Al Snow promo, and of course the Radicals debut which starts around half way through the video. The interference happens at around 9:30 mark if you can keep your eyes off Perry Saturn's shirt.

Those 10 minutes had more entertainment then 3 hours these days :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I still don't like the name Dolph Ziggler. It's still a comedy mid-card name, a reference to Boogie Nights. Wrestling fans might be alright with it but he'll get laughed at outside our bubble. AWFUL :mad:. I hope he uses his actual name (which is GREAT) when he wins the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I still don't like the name Dolph Ziggler. It's still a comedy mid-card name, a reference to Boogie Nights. Wrestling fans might be alright with it but he'll get laughed at outside our bubble. AWFUL :mad:. I hope he uses his actual name (which is GREAT) when he wins the title.

+1 on that!
    When ever I'm talking to casual fans about wrestling and I'm telling them about this amazing wrestler called "Dolph Ziggler", they break their S###E laughing! When he wins the title he should use his real name and FCW nickname! "The Natural" Nick Nemith!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I agree with this. It didn't bother me at first but now he's becoming a main event guy he needs something better. I was thinking maybe they could do what they did for Hunter's dopey name and shorten it up. Call him DZ something. DZ Rascal? Might not get away with that one. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

And the show off is a crap nickname compared to the natural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Yeah I agree with this. It didn't bother me at first but now he's becoming a main event guy he needs something better. I was thinking maybe they could do what they did for Hunter's dopey name and shorten it up. Call him DZ something. DZ Rascal? Might not get away with that one. :cool:
    DZ Top.

DZ Rider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I hate it when people use the excuse of a bad crowd when a match or angle isn't getting over.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

- I think David Otunga needs a push. Maybe not main-event but the coffee-drinking lawyer is dull and bland. I'm hoping the rumours of him being repackaged are true.

- Dolph Ziggler should get the WHC and hold it for a good while. He is great to watch, and his match with Daniel Bryan on Raw a few weeks ago was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

- I want Kurt Angle back in the WWE now!!!

- Randy Orton is possibly the most dull and boring baby face there is.

- Prime Time Players are the best thing to happen to the tag team division in a long long time. Cody/Sandow too, but I can't see them lasting long, or Kane/Bryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Charisteas wrote: »
    January 31st 2000 should help you find it.

Alternatively, here's the first 11 minutes of that episode which includes the classic Raw theme music, red-hot fans at the beginning as the camera scans the arena (look how many fan signs there are), New-Age Outlaws entrance, Steve Blackman and Al Snow promo, and of course the Radicals debut which starts around half way through the video. The interference happens at around 9:30 mark if you can keep your eyes off Perry Saturn's shirt.

Those 10 minutes had more entertainment then 3 hours these days :eek:

The New age outlaws entrance alone beats most 3 hour raws these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I hate when wrestlers talk about respect or say "I respect you" to other wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

1998 RAW IS WAR/WARZONE was ****.
    I got a hold of all the episodes and I could get about 2 months into it before getting incredibly bored.
    Horrible lower/midcard and the Austin-HBK-Tyson stuff isn't that fun either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ken Shamrock and the Bulldog both should have held the WWF title at some stage.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ken Shamrock and the Bulldog both should have held the WWF title at some stage.
    From what I've heard Ken was really stiff starting out, theres a video of him and vader somwhere, and I read another place that it was Him, Rocky or HHH that was going to get the huge push at that time and as we all know it ended up being Rocky, Would have loved to see Kenny get the title though

airmax87 wrote: »
    From what I've heard Ken was really stiff starting out, theres a video of him and vader somwhere, and I read another place that it was Him, Rocky or HHH that was going to get the huge push at that time and as we all know it ended up being Rocky, Would have loved to see Kenny get the title though
    I remember that video, Vader let's it go for a while, then gets stiff back!

I'd have loved to have seen vader have a run with the belt to come to think of it. He should have beaten shawn at summerslam in 96

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think Ryback is nothing more than a big roided up jackass with limited wrestling ability. His goofy assed gimmick makes wrestling seem even more stupid when you try to explain it to a non fan. I hope he's released soon and that he manages to get himself off steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I remember that video, Vader let's it go for a while, then gets stiff back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

CM Punk should lose the title soon. He is just boring to watch now. For someone who has held the title for so long, they reallly do make him look extremely weak by needing all this extra help to win. When he first teamed up with Heyman, he was actually great to watch.

The sooner Orton turns heel, the better. I just think he is SO much better as a heel than a face. He just never convinced me as a good guy.

Tyson Kidd is very under-utilised. He has the most unique ring moves in WWE and has got HUGE potential.

token101 wrote: »

Class! And very well deserved !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think Vader should make the occasional appearance if he wants to. He can still do his thing!

Other than the entrance & music, Gangrel wasn't great

A lot of these are commonly held rather than unpopular opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

A lot of these are commonly held rather than unpopular opinions.

True.

Say something propa nawty geezer.:o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Say something propa nawty geezer.:o

Pardon? :confused:

• Advertisement

Pardon? :confused:
    Danny Dyer innit.

Advertisement