Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

Soarer wrote: »
    It'll probably draw attention more than anything. The customs chaps are well used to the marking things as gift trick.

Has anyone ever asked to get one sent as a "repair return"? Could it get through easier like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

It'll probably draw attention more than anything. The customs chaps are well used to the marking things as gift trick.

God Dammit:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Ste- wrote: »
    How does this version stand up ?

That worked a little better, but mostly the adverts stream ok and the show itself starts and then get slower. Overall I wouldn't use it for RTE Player, the Flash is just too slow.

Played around a little more with it. Its an odd device, I am not sure if its the 512MB memory or just some bugs with their version of ICS or the CPU, but occasionally it just sort of freezes and you have to wait 5-10 seconds. Sort of frustrating for my kids as I noticed they just started hitting the screen harder thinking that would make it work (when I am sure ultimately that is going to make it worse).

So, its great for the price, but I think I might get sell mine on and save up for the Nexus 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lh

jeromeof wrote: »
    You can, it comes with a USB OTG adapter for plugging in external USB keys, there is also a microsd slot (which is really needed as 4GB of space only goes so far).

Not sure how long the battery will last when playing from an external USB key though as the tablet has to provide power to the usb as well as the screen.

Cheers, going on hols with the kids to France so was going to buy a portable DVD player. After reading this thread have bought one of these instead to play the movies.
    If it works it means bringing 1 or 2 USB keys instead of a load of DVD's (while not been a whole lot dearer) so everything else it does will be a bonus . Will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

lh wrote: »
    Cheers, going on hols with the kids to France so was going to buy a portable DVD player. After reading this thread have bought one of these instead to play the movies.
    If it works it means bringing 1 or 2 USB keys instead of a load of DVD's (while not been a whole lot dearer) so everything else it does will be a bonus . Will let you know how I get on.

You'd be better off loading a MicroSD card up with films,
    as having a usb stick, sticking out of the device, its just asking to be snapped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 lh

waveform wrote: »
    You'd be better off loading a MicroSD card up with films,
    as having a usb stick, sticking out of the device, its just asking to be snapped!

I get ya, but there will be an adapter cable in between them so should be less snappable

lh wrote: »
    I get ya, but there will be an adapter cable in between them so should be less snappable

Ah great! You thought of everything so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Tockman wrote: »
    would this be a better buy for 10euros more.
    http://www.buyincoins.com/details/7-chuwi-v13-android-4-0-all-winner-a13-tablet-pc-8gb-1gb-ram-wifi-3g-capacitive-product-16712.html

It has bigger battery and 1gb memory.
    Has anyone used buyandcoins?

I haven't ordered any tablet yet... but would also like to know it this it worth the extra €10 as it seems to be the same as the op one but with a 1gb memory (instead of 512mb) and bigger bat (300mAh vs 2200mAh) and 8GB Internal vs 4GB internal storage?

Access wrote: »
    I haven't ordered any tablet yet... but would also like to know it this it worth the extra €10 as it seems to be the same as the op one but with a 1gb memory (instead of 512mb) and bigger bat (300mAh vs 2200mAh) and 8GB Internal vs 4GB internal storage?

The question everyone wants to know the answer too though....

Is the plastic as Chuwi as the brand name?

I'll get my coat....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

just got the bill for customs, 19.30€

not the end of the world, but a pain in the balls. brings the total to 77€ for anyone wondering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

I got a letter from customs, only home from work now and it says send them off any emails i have of proof of what i paid, no amount owed, says i can pay postie but parcel is in dublin.

Anyone else get this ?

yeah thats the one that i got. no amount is noted in the letter but when you email them the paypal recipt or whatever they reply with the amount to be paid via email. robbing feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

mawk wrote: »
    yeah thats the one that i got. no amount is noted in the letter but when you email them the paypal recipt or whatever they reply with the amount to be paid via email. robbing feckers.

So i just give that to postie ? Looks like ill be waiting a few more days so before its send from dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Jaysus lads, edit the receipt to say ye paid $25 for the thing.

They'll hardly know the value of a generic 7" tablet from China!

I debated that.. but whats the fine if caught? if I was in customs I'd be able to wage a fair guess at values, so presumably someone working there might also not be entirely useless. risky to lie

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ronomono

That is an awesome bargain.
    But I think I'll wait for The Google Nexus 7:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYUjxDDD28g
    $250 - but awesome :D

I debated that.. but whats the fine if caught? if I was in customs I'd be able to wage a fair guess at values, so presumably someone working there might also not be entirely useless. risky to lie

It's not like the thing is a couple of grand!

It's a bargain alert and can be had for €55, which is around $65. Not a big deal to half the value or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

oleras wrote: »
    I got a letter from customs, only home from work now and it says send them off any emails i have of proof of what i paid, no amount owed, says i can pay postie but parcel is in dublin.

Anyone else get this ?

This is standard behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

There's no fine they just confiscate it. Changing the reciept might be a good idea but if it says on the outside the value of the goods your screwed. I got a customs letter yesterday for a different device.
    Thank you for your eMail. Customs Charges are due on your package. The charges and the expected delivery date are set out below. The charges can be paid to the postperson on delivery by cash or cheque/postal order made payable to“ An Post”. If you are not in when An Post call, they will leave a note in your letterbox advising where to collect your parcel and pay the charges. Any queries or questions relating to the delivery of your package should be directed to An Post Customer Service at 1850 575859 quoting your Track and Trace number.

Value of Goods - € 57.29

Customs Duty - € 0.00
    VAT @ 23% - € 13.17
    An Post fee - € 6.00
    Total for Collection - € 19.17

Expected Delivery date Wednesday July 4th

Regards
    B Nolan
    Customs Officer, Dublin Mail Centre

Original Message
    Sent: 02 July 2012 14:16
    To: Revenue Dublin Mail Centre
    Subject: dmc

The total cost of the item, including postage was €57.29

I attach proof of purchase.

Jet Black wrote: »
    There's no fine they just confiscate it. Changing the reciept might be a good idea but if it says on the outside the value of the goods your screwed. I got a customs letter yesterday for a different device.

But why would they be looking for a receipt with the amount paid if it's stated on the package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Jet Black wrote: »

But why would they be looking for a receipt with the amount paid if it's stated on the package?
    Because the price on the package is routinely understated to avoid customs, while invoices usually record the correct price

Akrasia wrote: »
    Because the price on the package is routinely understated to avoid customs, while invoices usually record the correct price

So they don't believe the company that sent the goods, but they'll take as gospel the word of an Irish individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So they don't believe the company that sent the goods, but they'll take as gospel the word of an Irish individual?

Because it will be in the form of an email from the suppliers

While this can be changed you are not to know what value they have plaed on the package so if changed they are unlikely to match and the higher value will generally be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Jaysus lads, edit the receipt to say ye paid $25 for the thing.

They'll hardly know the value of a generic 7" tablet from China!

Jaysus lads, the things are cheap enough even with the vat, just pay the vat and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

got mine delivered today from my EU based supplier on ebay.

it's grand for what it is. went for the 1.2Ghz A10 based one in the end.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/280874957022?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_10833wt_1166

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

vibe666 wrote: »

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/280874957022?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_10833wt_1166

Looking forward to your review ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

vibe666 wrote: »

I did spot earlier in this thread that you bought within the EU as shown... but im stumped on why you did?

Even with the vat on the 55 euro one you would be in and around €70 to €75 ... but your one was €92 plus €10 euro delivery... so in around €100.

What made you get an older A10 for more money instead of the A13?... i cant spot any advantage only apart from the fact that yours has a 12GB internal memory and a bigger battery.

(on a side note... was it delivered from cork as shown on ebay sellers page or did it arrive from UK?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The A10 has HDMI out for starters, the lower spec A13 doesn't.

http://www.ideamarketers.com/?Tablet_pc_computers&articleid=3180595

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Access wrote: »
    What made you get an older A10 for more money instead of the A13?... i cant spot any advantage only apart from the fact that yours has a 12GB internal memory and a bigger battery.

(on a side note... was it delivered from cork as shown on ebay sellers page or did it arrive from UK?)
    well for one, altho the A13 is newer, it is in fact just a cut down version of the A10 running at a lower clock speed with less features (so it could be made more cheaply than the A10).

i also needed it to arrive quickly for a birthday present in time for this weekend, which the other one likely wouldn't by the time i decided to order it.

so, faster, better specced cpu, free 8gb micro sd with it, better battery and shipped from the EU in time for my needs. :)

shipped from poland btw, but arrived quickly all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

what would be a cheap 10" with capactive screen and access to google play store...and support for usb keyboard...

Advertisement