Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KINGPIN

Geting the message " processing payment" have this for the last week , anyone else take this long to process.?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KINGPIN

Shipped today , took a week to process for anyone ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Took the plunge and ordered, how bad can it be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lots of questions, not many answers !

Would one one you kind purchasers please tell us all about it when you receive it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lots of questions, not many answers !

Would one one you kind purchasers please tell us all about it when you receive it?

Cheers

Not sure many have received it yet and there is a lengthy shipping time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i didn't have time to wait (its going to be a birthday present) so i ended up getting a 1.2ghz A10 based one off an ebay seller within the EU. http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280874957022

worked out at €106 delivered after the paypal conversion and i should have it for next week.

they also make a fuss about "This tablet has Google licence so all applications are unlocked !! Not like many other tablets that has fake market and fake pplications! This is genuine licence."

not sure how true that is or not, but it might be worth considering (maybe)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Just ordered one of these lads http://www.mcbub.com/item/Ainol-Novo-7-Aurora---Aurora-2-Dual-Core-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-7-Inch-IPS-HD-Screen-16GB-1GB-RAM-Camera-black-149091/

Looks like it'll be ok , I just want it for work email and calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

horgan_p wrote: »
    Just ordered one of these lads http://www.mcbub.com/item/Ainol-Novo-7-Aurora---Aurora-2-Dual-Core-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-7-Inch-IPS-HD-Screen-16GB-1GB-RAM-Camera-black-149091/

Looks like it'll be ok , I just want it for work email and calendar.

What do you expect to pay in customs charges on arrival horgan_p?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Just ordered one of these for the little brother's birthday, I'm 100% sure he'll end up breaking it after a few months so better one like this than anything expensive :pac:

vicwatson wrote: »
    What do you expect to pay in customs charges on arrival horgan_p?

well ideally nothing , probably in and around €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

well ideally nothing , probably in and around €20.

I am afraid that it will be around €33.5

we'll see , its being shipped by EMS , so I guess in the lap of the gods (or An Post)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

we'll see , its being shipped by EMS , so I guess in the lap of the gods (or An Post)

Bought a similar tablet last week - got caught for 33.50 in customs:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's making the one i got from ebay from within the EU look a lot better value if you're definitely going to get stung by customs with it on the way in.

i bought some tshirts from the US last week. €30 for the tees and €15 in customs, robbing feckers. :(

things seemed to be getting easier to get through earlier in the year, but maybe they just had a backlog from xmas and they've cleared it now and are grabbing everything again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

no sign of these for anyone yet no?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mawk wrote: »
    no sign of these for anyone yet no?
    I ordered mine thursdaythe week before last and it's currently tracking as having left beijing on 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭smree

Hi mine is showing now as in Dublin and I can track it on the An Post system now with the location as DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE DUBLIN 12. Should hopefully be with me tomorrow :) I ordered on the 16th of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Guys,
    OK, got mine and didn't get caught by customs :D

Overall for the price is fantastic, unbelievable really. I can't think of many things for €55 that have this technology for this price.

Things like Netflix work, its wifi seems pretty good and I streamed some movies around my house. The screen is a bit crap, especially from angles but the lower resolution isn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. The played most games I tried (though I only tried some simple ones - my daughter grabbed it and started playing temple run and the said she wants her own and will pay with her own money to get it).

Its a little slow especially initially as I was installing/downloading apps in the background, but for a single app at the time it works great, though is probably a bit slower than some tablets in loading the apps.

The touch screen seems ok, its definitely multi-touch capactive (I play a 2 player air hockey game with my daughter and it worked well). I did notice an annoying click occasionally when using it but it only seemed to be when it was plugged in, once I unplugged it, the click seemed to go away. The battery is probably 3-4 hours, but I haven't had a chance to really see yet.

Overall, its one of the best bargains I have got in a long while and as long as it doesn't fall apart in the next few weeks - which has happened with cheap chinese stuff in the past - I should get lots of value from it.

Jerome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

jeromeof wrote: »
    Guys,
    OK, got mine and didn't get caught by customs :D

When did you order? how long has it took to arrive to you? and more importantly... (for me anyways!) will it play from the rte and tv3 players?

Thanks Jerome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of ordering one of these; the Nexus 7 is being released at the moment. It's Google's own 7' tablet and is manufactured by Asus. Great specs and first to get updates. (It's quad core and running Jelly Bean) The 8gb model is €150, I think the 16gb is €200. There's a thread in the Android forum about it, might appeal to some people. If you plan to use the tablet a lot I'd probably recommend the Google one, if you just want a tablet for fúcking around with and for the sake of having one the OP is probably best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

smree wrote: »
    Hi mine is showing now as in Dublin and I can track it on the An Post system now with the location as DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE DUBLIN 12. Should hopefully be with me tomorrow :) I ordered on the 16th of this month.

I ordered mine on the 16th too and it's still not in Ireland :(

Guys,
    OK, mine was shipped on the Jun 19th so it took 9 days or so, it was ordered on the 17th.

As for RTE player, there doesn't seem to be an Android App for the RTE player, but the device does support flash. Just tried it and it is a little slow and clunky but mostly thats because RTE player is a flash website optimized for mouse input. If RTE produced an Android RTE player app (like they have for the ipad) then I imagine this would be fine. I see that Adobe are dropping Flash from the Play store from the 15th of august, so hopefully RTE will move with the times.

TV3 did seem to play ok though in flash. I guess its a hit / miss.
    Chrome is fairly slow on the device though (and doesn't support flash) but that probably the limitation of 512 MB of memory, so I have mainly been using the Dolphin HD browser.

Jerome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

As for RTE player, there doesn't seem to be an Android App for the RTE player, but the device does support flash. Just tried it and it is a little slow and clunky but mostly thats because RTE player is a flash website optimized for mouse input. If RTE produced an Android RTE player app (like they have for the ipad) then I imagine this would be fine. I see that Adobe are dropping Flash from the Play store from the 15th of august, so hopefully RTE will move with the times.

How does this version stand up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

just got the letter from customs. ugh :(
    Ill let know what my charge will be

well, at least i know its in ireland. would have been nice to have by the weekend though. ordered on the 17th btw and shipped on the 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

mawk wrote: »
    just got the letter from customs. ugh :(
    Ill let know what my charge will be

Shouldn't be any more than 23%, or €12.65. Unfortunatly, An Post also charge an additional €6 for the privilege of having them collect on behalf of the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lh

Probably a silly question, but if I had one of these and bought some kind of mini USB converter could i watch avi files etc directly of a standard USB key ? And not having to copy the file onto the tablet

lh wrote: »
    Probably a silly question, but if I had one of these and bought some kind of mini USB converter could i watch avi files etc directly of a standard USB key ? And not having to copy the file onto the tablet

You can, it comes with a USB OTG adapter for plugging in external USB keys, there is also a microsd slot (which is really needed as 4GB of space only goes so far).

Not sure how long the battery will last when playing from an external USB key though as the tablet has to provide power to the usb as well as the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Just to let ya know, I requested my order be gift rapped or marked gift and they said no problem that they would do this. Dunno if it will stop customs but word a shot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

It'll probably draw attention more than anything. The customs chaps are well used to the marking things as gift trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

You can, it comes with a USB OTG adapter for plugging in external USB keys, there is also a microsd slot (which is really needed as 4GB of space only goes so far).

Not sure how long the battery will last when playing from an external USB key though as the tablet has to provide power to the usb as well as the screen.

Thats a big plus for me. The micro USB was putting me off. Its great you can use external USB keys as the tablet comes with a USB adapter at no extra cost :)

Advertisement