Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Oh lordie, I really don't want to wait until Monday, but I also hate talking to people in the phone. :P I think I'll just wait, but it would be so nice to know.

This is slightly OT but still regards grants. Am I the only one who hasn't completed the maintenance grant application yet? My laptop is fecked and I'm going to head to the library tomorrow, but I hope I didn't leave it too late to get some money by September. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

live in a one parent family with a twin sister in a disadvantaged area,my mother doesnt work and is claiming illness benefit.if i dont get hear i swear il burn the offices to the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I'm going to wait until Monday too. No, I was about 50% through the application for the grant a couple of weeks ago :S I must finish it this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

im talking dirty protest aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I've 59% done :) it actually is taking forever because it keeps freezing for me. And it's not the computer. SUSI ya contrary b*tch :J Sure really theres no hurry. Like two-three weeks for documents and that ish. When must it be all sorted by? Start or end of August?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

Hi what was the number everyone was calling earlier to find out if they got HEAR?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

It's 091-509800. I rang it so many times I know it off by heart :P But, the office closed at 17.15 for the weekend so you're gonna have to wait for monday! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappichino

cappichino wrote: »
    It's funding by the EU basically, you need to provide receipts to the value of €800 is what it usually is, and they'll give you a grant for that amount..

I think you are thinking of the Student Assistance fund.
    Last year everyone on HEAR got the exact same amount €400 around the end of September. You don't need any receipts , it's up to you what you spend it on. That was for NUIG and the amount was down from previous years .

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

It's 091-509800. I rang it so many times I know it off by heart :P But, the office closed at 17.15 for the weekend so you're gonna have to wait for monday! :/

I called it 30+ times today but no answer. I shall wait til Monday:(

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

cappichino wrote: »
    I think you are thinking of the Student Assistance fund.
    Last year everyone on HEAR got the exact same amount €400 around the end of September. You don't need any receipts , it's up to you what you spend it on. That was for NUIG and the amount was down from previous years .

In NUIM they made us apply for the SAF with the HEAR which might have been why we got the €800 so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Avox wrote: »
    It's funding by the EU basically, you need to provide receipts to the value of €800 is what it usually is, and they'll give you a grant for that amount..

Receipts on what? Things like books and that?

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Receipts on what? Things like books and that?

I used rent but yeah anything college related

I used rent but yeah anything college related

About 100 naggins of cheap spirits so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shanmo

hey,

-just wondering can somebody explain to me how hear works?

-do we get offred places at the same time as non hear applicants?

-can we get offers in the first ,second and third rounds?

-how many places are normally kept for hear?

shanmo wrote: »
    hey,

1) You get offered at the same time as everyone else, it won't even tell you it's a HEAR offer. You should hear from whichever college you've applied to about the orientation week you'll have to do to get the HEAR scheme (it's obligatory, usually a week or two before college starts.).

2) You can get offers in every round

3) Usually 5-10% on courses so it all depends on how many people are on the course. Some places from that go to DARE/Mature students too.

1) You get offered at the same time as everyone else, it won't even tell you it's a HEAR offer. You should hear from whichever college you've applied to about the orientation week you'll have to do to get the HEAR scheme (it's obligatory, usually a week or two before college starts.).

2) You can get offers in every round

3) Usually 5-10% on courses so it all depends on how many people are on the course. Some places from that go to DARE/Mature students too.

Thanks for a great response. I have been wondering about them questions for a while.

shanmo wrote: »
    hey,

Hey how's it going!! I've applied for HEAR and will be finding out on Monday if I got it :) have you got your letter yet actually? I'm not certain about all the rules and terms following it but I've a fair idea...forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm sure someone on here will correct me anyway :)

As far as I know and it would make best sense that we will be treated the exact same as 'normal' candidates. Think about it, the system is complicated and liable to mistakes already so having seperate offers and the like for HEAR and DARE people would be complicated and it would cost more too I'd imagine...

As for how many reserved places, it does depend on the course and how many places are actually available for everyone. But I *think* it's gonna be 5% for every course is gonna be reserved...that'll be fairly nice if the course has alot of places available but it's gonna be a bit tight if it has only like 30 places...

EDIT: Hahahahaha ah f*ck it, I'm too slow...

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Hey how's it going!! I've applied for HEAR and will be finding out on Monday if I got it :) have you got your letter yet actually? I'm not certain about all the rules and terms following it but I've a fair idea...forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm sure someone on here will correct me anyway :)

As far as I know and it would make best sense that we will be treated the exact same as 'normal' candidates. Think about it, the system is complicated and liable to mistakes already so having seperate offers and the like for HEAR and DARE people would be complicated and it would cost more too I'd imagine...

As for how many reserved places, it does depend on the course and how many places are actually available for everyone. But I *think* it's gonna be 5% for every course is gonna be reserved...that'll be fairly nice if the course has alot of places available but it's gonna be a bit tight if it has only like 30 places...

thanks, the course i want first only has 30 but fingers crossed, waiting for my letter but i like to have info sooner. ha. i wish i knew already though
    good luck.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

guys when you're all saying you'll find out Monday, do u mean you'll ring them on Monday or are we receiving a letter for sure on Monday??? :confused:

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    guys when you're all saying you'll find out Monday, do u mean you'll ring them on Monday or are we receiving a letter for sure on Monday??? :confused:

They sent them out on Friday. So we should receive the letters on Monday.

• Advertisement

Just got my letter this morning....When I picked it up I got awful negative because it was very light and I presumed it'd only be thanks for applying but unfortunately bla bla bla bla...but no I opened it and it goes 'I'm pleased to inform that you eligible for the HEAR Scheme' F*cking buzzing.

Must now just get the course and off in early September for a one day Orientation thing before it all begins. Don't have to stay over according to this which is a drag because I wouldn't mind getting into my accommodation early...still the course must be got first. Great way to start the week though :)

All the best to everyone else who has applied :D

Got it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

Got it too! :) It sucks a bit that my orientation is from the 25th to the 29th but hey, I'm not complaining! I have a question though. You know how it says "Residential?" Does that mean they supply you with on campus accommodation for free for the few days? :/

Got it too! :) It sucks a bit that my orientation is from the 25th to the 29th but hey, I'm not complaining! I have a question though. You know how it says "Residential?" Does that mean they supply you with on campus accommodation for free for the few days? :/

I think so, yes. Look at their website/brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

subz3r0 wrote: »

I think so, yes. Look at their website/brochure.

Thank you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

26th-29th of August? Ah Galway, why are you doing this to me?

Really though I am absolutely ecstatic! :D I had a fair idea that I'd get it, but there was a little mishap with my application and I was worried I wouldn't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Here when it's says residential, you definitely have to stay in accommodation right? I only live like 15 minutes walking from DCU.. It sucks. :( xD

• Registered Users Posts: 31 yungwan1k94

Guys im freaking out i havent got my letter yet no post even came to my house todayy!!! does this mean i didnt get it pleas help and reply :(:(:(:(:(:(

:confused:
    dont really understand why i didnt get it but i didnt.
    bye bye uni, college or anywhere for that matter.
    happy for you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Guys im freaking out i havent got my letter yet no post even came to my house todayy!!! does this mean i didnt get it pleas help and reply :(:(:(:(:(:(

Ring up the CAO and tell them you still didn't get the letter, they'll tell you over the phone whether you got it or not. :)

Advertisement