Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer - Revenue Commissioners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

If you took somewhere reasonably local can you seek a transfer then Abd are the transfers prioritized over new recruits?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

mozattack wrote: »
    If you took somewhere reasonably local can you seek a transfer then Abd are the transfers prioritized over new recruits?

Ahhh now it gets even more complicated, because the decision of whether to fill a particular vacancy is a choice between recruitment from an open panel, promotion from an internal panel, transfer from another location, or redeployment from another Dept. Buggered if I know how that decision happens.

However when you are offered a location, in accepting the job you are committing to doing at least 2 years in that location. What happened me was I accepted a location 45miles away, because I couldn't count on getting the one I wanted 7miles away, and then 4mths later a girl way below me on the panel got it. That's the luck of the draw with these things. Bottom line is, don't accept it in a place unless you're willing to commute there for at least a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Boomtownrat81

Anyone got offers yet from the 2014 panel?

Anyone got offers yet from the 2014 panel?

Yep, don't know how many but definitely been an offer or 2 made. Obviously for locations that no-one remaining on earlier panels wanted...

Thanks for your replies Barney.
    Could it be possible too that some of the remainder of prior panels may be employed or emigrated too, or would they have notified the panel administrators of this?

• Advertisement

Could it be possible too that some of the remainder of prior panels may be employed or emigrated too, or would they have notified the panel administrators of this?

AFAIK you only get offered a location once, and if you refuse it then you won't be offered it again. So they may have already refused most locations, thereby effectively ruling themselves out for most new vacancies arising, and it could be because they ended up getting a position they're happy with elsewhere, or emigrating or whatever, or because they're holding out for a specific location in say Sligo or Kerry or Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SummerTime14

Hi everyone!! Hope the summer is going well for you all! Anyone know of any movement on the 2014 panel? I'm waiting for a spot in Dublin, sooner rather than later hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭littlelady81

can you defer an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

can you defer an offer?

Not really. You could maybe push your starting date back by say 2 months but not much longer.

Usually they only offer you each location once too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 dollymix92

Has anyone heard anything recently from the 2014 panel? In general are offers rather sporadic?

dollymix92 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything recently from the 2014 panel? In general are offers rather sporadic?

You can ring personnel and ask how many are still ahead of you on the panel, and try to wheedle any other info you can get out of them (good luck with that though!).

Hi All

Just wondering has anyone here moved from private practice into these positions and how did employer react?

dollymix92 wrote: »
    Hi All

Just wondering has anyone here moved from private practice into these positions and how did employer react?

The vast majority of AO's taken on move from private practice, where else do you think they come from! :p
    As for the employer they're leaving: In my case, congratulations and best of luck, sure they're hardly going to give you a load of grief knowing where you're going... much more likely they'll figure parting on good terms is the best thing to do! But why would you care either way?!

The vast majority of AO's taken on move from private practice, where else do you think they come from! :p
    As for the employer they're leaving: In my case, congratulations and best of luck, sure they're hardly going to give you a load of grief knowing where you're going... much more likely they'll figure parting on good terms is the best thing to do! But why would you care either way?!

I don't really care either way just can't judge how the news is going to be received and how much of an outcast I'm going to be while working out my notice haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

There was a whisper a while back that AO ICT would be advertised again early 2015...anyone heard ought?

Hello all,
    In relation to AO Compliance;
    What would the typical career progression for a qualified accountant taking up a post in a regional office be? ie what timeframe realistically to get the experience to apply for AP?
    Also, would they pay for the AITI exams and courses?
    Is family healthcare part funded by the employer?
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Hello all,
    What would the typical career progression for a qualified accountant taking up a post in a regional office be? ie what timeframe realistically to get the experience to apply for AP?
    Many thanks.

Often you need 2 years AO experience in order to be able to apply for any internal AP panel.

Usually, anyone can apply for the external panels with your private sector experience counting towards the requirements.

Revenue pay for the tax exams and courses. You pay each stage upfront and it's refunded after the exam results issue. Standard paid study leave is 4 days per exam + the exam day.

Family healthcare is not part funded by Revenue for staff.

Hello all,
    Many thanks.

The reality is some people progress quickly to AP (2-3 years), some take longer, and some don't - it's a very competitive environment, with a lot of people competing for a small number of vacancies. The opportunities will be frequent in the next 10 years, due to the demographics in Revenue, but the majority of AP positions may well be filled by open competition, meaning you are competing not just with your fellow AO's and HEO's in Revenue, but also with the rest of the accounting/tax profession.

There is a scheme for reimbursement of fees, but I'd imagine that's not a limitless pool of money, and they tend to push their own UL accredited degree, a BA(Hons) in Applied Taxation - doing it would probably look good on the internal CV in the event of competing for AP, but then so would AITI, as long as you can be seen to be doing something to keep improving yourself.

Healthcare isn't part of the gig, but if you join the PSEU they may have access to good value deals.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

I have been reading forums and the AP job spec today and I'm a bit worried about the promotion prospects down the line. If I got an AO role with a lot of autonomous work and no staff management my chances would seem nil for promotion?

I have been reading forums and the AP job spec today and I'm a bit worried about the promotion prospects down the line. If I got an AO role with a lot of autonomous work and no staff management my chances would seem nil for promotion?

Then ask for staff, once you've got yourself established. People who are capable of, and willing to take on, responsibility will get it, in spades!

There's also the opportunity to suggest and/or manage delivery of projects - so they mightn't be your staff all the time, but you get to manage a resource to deliver results. Competence ticked.

One final thing to bear in mind - how many jobs in practice in your neck of the woods (and this will depend on your own personal preferences and where in practice or industry you've worked), can offer you a salary of upwards of 55k after a few years, flexitime, 25+ days leave a year, reimbursement of fees for relevant courses, and a very valuable pension. And if after 6-7 years you feel you won't get promoted there, I'm pretty sure you won't have too much difficulty finding your knowledge & experience in demand back in practice.

HI There

Has anyone any insight into the AP Compliance role

Any guidance on the number of examples each section requires?

I am currently on the 2012 AO panel - but that is coming to an end so trying to keep my options open.

Im sure it will be very competitive with a significant interest - especially with all the upcoming retirements!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

I applied for the AP Compliance role...would anyone have any idea on the approximate timeline on these competitions? I want to relax and forget about it for as long as possible :)

I think what Barneystinson said above is 100% - I moved into the AO Role about 6 weeks ago after a lifetime in practice. The decrease in salary is painful now but in 3/4 years time, I'm laughing....hopefully laughing with an AP role, but either way, I think the reduced stress, security and opportunities are second to none. And if you aren't able to avail of the opportunities as they are in areas you've no interest in, then sitting at the top of the AO scale isn't all that much lower than the AP role - with the flexitime considerations as well! Best move I ever made, even if I am feeling the pinch!

Was anyone successful for interview - AP Compliance?

Unfortunately I wasn't so looking for feedback. Got email earlier on today

Was anyone successful for interview - AP Compliance?

Unfortunately I wasn't so looking for feedback. Got email earlier on today

Same here, if anyone got a call can they PM me please because it is hard to know what you have done wrong, is it the application, is it the content or am I just plain thick? :)

The application form is flawed anyway. They only ask for one example in each competency so I could fire out 100 successful audits all engineered from my own work and a rival could work the bare minimum and mention one good case and he/she could trump me in that regard.

It is not like working in a practice where your boss will directly know what you have done and bear that in mind for promotion. That is a major negative for me and really off-putting especially when you have no idea why you wee rejected and others with similar backgrounds get the nod.

Guess that's called life but I suppose, if patient, good work attracts the dividends.

The application form is flawed anyway. They only ask for one example in each competency so I could fire out 100 successful audits all engineered from my own work and a rival could work the bare minimum and mention one good case and he/she could trump me in that regard.

It is not like working in a practice where your boss will directly know what you have done and bear that in mind for promotion. That is a major negative for me and really off-putting especially when you have no idea why you wee rejected and others with similar backgrounds get the nod.

Guess that's called life but I suppose, if patient, good work attracts the dividends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You can request feedback from PAS.

I don't know how useful it is but why not ask.

Advertisement