Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer - Revenue Commissioners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dollymix92

Has anyone heard anything yet re short listing?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

dollymix92 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything yet re short listing?

Nope - id guess the start of next week to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Careful now! They haven't been abolished, they've been assimilated (proving that resistance wasn't entirely futile!)...

WHat I mean is that's not the scale I came in on as an AO in 2010, it starts about 10% lower, and has an extra 2 points below the previous starting point of 33,247 - so an AO who started in 2010 would take 2 years to hit 39,967, but an AO starting in 2014 will take 4 years to reach 39,967.

That doesn't look like abolition to me...!
    Jonathan wrote: »
    I never said that staff on the NRP payscales reverted to 2010 payscales, but the NRP payscales have been abolished. All AOs now have the same max (albeit new staff will take longer to reach it).

It is interesting to note that there are now 3 different AOs:
    1) Started prior to 2011 on 2010 paycale; no disadvantage
    2) Started 2011-2013 on NRP payscale; spends two years on NRP points (10% less), ends up one increment behind 2010 equivalent in long run (entitled to skip point 3 on merged payscale)
    3) Started 2014 onwards on 2014 payscales; spends two years on NRP points (10% less), followed by small scale transition increment of €672 (point 3), ends up two increments behind 2010 equivalent in long run

The new combined scales are far worse for new AOs than the 10% reduction scales from 2010 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Shortlisted - so Interview No 3 looms......

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

Zipppy wrote: »

Congrats! were you notified by email?

• Advertisement

Congrats! were you notified by email?

Phone call...details to follow....strange one really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Me too. Prepare well and good luck! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Uncle_Joe

Yeah same... shortlisted for interview/presentation too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dollymix92

Has anyone heard anything In relation to the AO compliance competition yet?

dollymix92 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything In relation to the AO compliance competition yet?

Nothing yet. Probably a lot more applicants for that role - so might take longer to screen ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 busy1975

is there anyone who has made it to interview stage willing to give me a look at their approach to the competency questions... i have applied every year and have never been called so i reckon i am approaching the questions all wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

busy1975 wrote: »
    is there anyone who has made it to interview stage willing to give me a look at their approach to the competency questions... i have applied every year and have never been called so i reckon i am approaching the questions all wrong!!

Which competition? Compliance/ICT?

Out of interest...can anyone, from within the AO ICT role, advise?
    is the role solely software development?
    The job spec indicates a much wider role but I have a suspicion its purely a software dev role (actual coding 90+% )
    anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 busy1975

Which competition? Compliance/ICT?

the compliance one :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The job spec indicates a much wider role but I have a suspicion its purely a software dev role (actual coding 90+% )
    anyone?
    Your role would depend entirely on where within the ICT division you are deployed. The scope is as wide and varied as the job spec indicates.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Darith

Been asked to do a presentation on new technologies which affect the revenue service, any ideas, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Darith

Going for interview next week and they want a short presentation on emerging technologies which will affect the revenue service, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

AO ICT can vary quite a bit , and your background and interests would ideally be taken into consideration.

Depends on your inital managers really.
    If your interested in doing coding there is no harm telling them , most coding in revenue ( AFAIK ) is done by contract IT staff.

Kinda junior project management role would be most typical .

For a presentation as long as you know what your talking about any topic should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Zippy, what's your background. I failed again, seems like 13 years in tax and having all the exams don't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

mozattack wrote: »
    Zippy, what's your background. I failed again, seems like 13 years in tax and having all the exams don't matter

A substantial number of applicants match that description, that just ticks a box - it's how well and articulately you can demonstrate that the qualifications & experience have equipped you with the competences they're looking for, that get you an interview. Have you looked for feedback on your previous forms? Based on your qualifications/experience, you should be getting to interview, so if you aren't after 3 attempts then the reason must be something that is/isn't on your form...

My advice would be, look at the examples you used and ask yourself "How many other people do I know who could've used this example if they're going for this job?" - you need to find examples that are non-standard, something that a tax senior / tax manager in half the practices around the country won't have on their forms...

Approaching the form with the attitude that you're over qualified for the role and Revenue would be lucky to have you, is a sure way to fail (even though based on the money available, a lot of the AOs being recruited are over qualified and taking big cuts in salaries - but everyone has their own reason for doing that... family friendly T&Cs, job security, advancement opportunities etc...).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

As far as I know, only the AO (ICT) interviews have been released. AO (Compliance) interviews are still pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

anyone?

The actual coding part is far, far less than 90%. I suppose some teams would vary on that but the AO role is not that of a programmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SummerTime14

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has heard anything re the AO Compliance competition?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has heard anything re the AO Compliance competition?

No word yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I heard that the AO for ICT results are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I heard that the AO for ICT results are out.

They are. I did not get on the panel :(

Good luck to all who did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Hi there, does anyone have the AO payscales handy?

Also, any idea how long it takes to "rank up"?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Hi there, does anyone have the AO payscales handy?

Also, any idea how long it takes to "rank up"?

Thanks in advance.

If you are a new entrant to the public service
    29,922 - 32,575 - 35,970 - 38,554 - 41,140 - 43,734 - 46,319 - 48,896 - 50,6831 - 52,4652
    http://www.impact.ie/Your-Sector/Public-Sector/Civil-Service/Civil-service-salary-scales/New-scales-for-new-entrants-2011-Civil-Service.htm

If already had service
    33,247 - 36,194 - 39,967 - 42,838 - 45,711 - 48,593 - 51,466 - 54,329 - 56,3141 - 58,2942
    http://www.impact.ie/Your-Sector/Public-Sector/Civil-Service/Civil-service-salary-scales/Current-Civil-Service-salary-scales-2010/General-service-grades--Full-PRSI-.htm

You go up each leg every 12 months depending on performance.

Edit. There are moves to merge the two panels into one
    http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2014/02.pdf

29,922 - 32,575 - 35,970 - 38,554 - 41,140 - 43,734 - 46,319 - 48,896 - 50,6831 - 52,4652
    http://www.impact.ie/Your-Sector/Public-Sector/Civil-Service/Civil-service-salary-scales/New-scales-for-new-entrants-2011-Civil-Service.htm

If already had service
    33,247 - 36,194 - 39,967 - 42,838 - 45,711 - 48,593 - 51,466 - 54,329 - 56,3141 - 58,2942
    http://www.impact.ie/Your-Sector/Public-Sector/Civil-Service/Civil-service-salary-scales/Current-Civil-Service-salary-scales-2010/General-service-grades--Full-PRSI-.htm
    This is not correct. There is only a single payscale now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90317819#post90317819

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If already had service

You go up each leg every 12 months depending on performance.

Edit. There are moves to merge the two panels into one
    http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2014/02.pdf
    Jonathan wrote: »
    This is not correct. There is only a single payscale now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90317819#post90317819

Johnathon is correct.

The new merged scale is

29,922 - 32,575- 33,247 - 36,194 - 39,967 - 42,838 - 45,711 - 48,593 - 51,466 - 54,329 - 56,3141 - 58,2942

As you can see it is quite crap for those of us who have joined in 2014.

Specifically, the jump between point 2 and point 3.

Advertisement