Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer - Revenue Commissioners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Onanon

Emails went out yesterday for the AO Compliance interview shortlist.

Any predictions when the interview will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

noodler wrote: »
    Johnathon is correct.

The new merged scale is

29,922 - 32,575- 33,247 - 36,194 - 39,967 - 42,838 - 45,711 - 48,593 - 51,466 - 54,329 - 56,3141 - 58,2942

As you can see it is quite crap for those of us who have joined in 2014.

Specifically, the jump between point 2 and point 3.

Ouch; painfully low.

Anyone know how realistic the changes are of moving from €29k to €48k in 8 years in a row?

I ask because I have an interview for A0 and my current wages are higher than full A0 so the drop seems too high.

Also, what if they move you from AO to the next step on the ladder, how does that effect pay?

Onanon wrote: »
    Emails went out yesterday for the AO Compliance interview shortlist.

Any predictions when the interview will be?

Did you get called?

I did, but no idea of when interviews are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SummerTime14

I got called but haven't received any indication of when the interviews will be on. Going on prior timelines on this thread it could be about 6 weeks.

Would anyone have a copy of the information booklet for the position that they could post? Would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mozattack wrote: »
    Ouch; painfully low.

Anyone know how realistic the changes are of moving from €29k to €48k in 8 years in a row?

I ask because I have an interview for A0 and my current wages are higher than full A0 so the drop seems too high.

Also, what if they move you from AO to the next step on the ladder, how does that effect pay?

AO to AP jump would be significant but theres obviously less AP positions, you'd have to be there two years before you could apply for the closed competitions etc.

As long as you are performing you'd get your increments I imagine.

EDIT:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

AO to AP jump would be significant but theres obviously less AP positions, you'd have to be there two years before you could apply for the closed competitions etc.

As long as you are performing you'd get your increments I imagine.

EDIT:

I'd ask if you can start higher up the scale or at the top of the scale if your wages are above the starting point of the scale.

I was able to start 4 points into the scale as my existing salary was higher than the starting point.

I was able to ask the PO in charge of personnel , who was the person on my contact letter re starting the job.

It might not be possible , but there is no harm to ask.

Also its a very very small number that do not get an increment each year - I'd say its almost certain you will get them.

InReality wrote: »
    I'd ask if you can start higher up the scale or at the top of the scale if your wages are above the starting point of the scale.

I was able to start 4 points into the scale as my existing salary was higher than the starting point.

I was able to ask the PO in charge of personnel , who was the person on my contact letter re starting the job.

It might not be possible , but there is no harm to ask.

Also its a very very small number that do not get an increment each year - I'd say its almost certain you will get them.

I wish I had chanced my arm when I started but I assumed that unless your previous experience was PS that you hasd to start on the scale 100%.

As you say, it may not be possible, but I really regret not trying.

Dudes,

I am due an interview, no date yet, but I am away at the start of July for 2 weeks and away in August too for a week.

Presumably they will be flexible on the interview date(s) surely?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I wish I had chanced my arm when I started but I assumed that unless your previous experience was PS that you hasd to start on the scale 100%.

As you say, it may not be possible, but I really regret not trying.

I tried when I started and was told quite unequivocally that there would be no exceptions - they've a panel full of people who want the job at the advertised salary! I'm not aware of anyone who came in externally and got to start further up the scale, and I know people who placed numbers 1 & 2 on their panels. So I'm not saying the previous poster is lying but it's not something I've ever heard of happening, not at AO level anyway.

Dudes,

I am due an interview, no date yet, but I am away at the start of July for 2 weeks and away in August too for a week.

Presumably they will be flexible on the interview date(s) surely?????

I thought you said you'd gotten a PFO, and proceeded to espouse conspiracy theories about how only people on the inside, or with an inside connection, get these jobs? Some of your comments on Boards about the PS generally, and the "idiots" who you propose to work with, are interesting to say the least - lets hope you can forget those opinions long enough to get through an interview eh..?! ;)

As for flexibility on dates, could be dicey depending on how many they're interviewing - I'm sure they'll accommodate if for example you explain you'll be on honeymoon, but if the sitting of the interview board overlaps entirely with those 2 weeks you're away, then you might be goosed. That's be very unlucky though..!

• Advertisement

I thought you said you'd gotten a PFO, and proceeded to espouse conspiracy theories about how only people on the inside, or with an inside connection, get these jobs? Some of your comments on Boards about the PS generally, and the "idiots" who you propose to work with, are interesting to say the least - lets hope you can forget those opinions long enough to get through an interview eh..?! ;)

As for flexibility on dates, could be dicey depending on how many they're interviewing - I'm sure they'll accommodate if for example you explain you'll be on honeymoon, but if the sitting of the interview board overlaps entirely with those 2 weeks you're away, then you might be goosed. That's be very unlucky though..!

I got a rejection for AP but not AO.

I actually do have a mini moon in august and family holiday in July... really not much I can do about them, all paid etc. I'd only need to move em a few days.

Should I tell them in advance or wait for the call to say

Barney, is moving up the scale automatic and annually or how is that appraised?

Barney, is moving up the scale automatic and annually or how is that appraised?

Progress is subject to performance review. To be honest, you'd want to be absolutely chronic at the job not to get your increment. I'm talking bottom 1-2% of the class!

I got a rejection for AP but not AO.

I actually do have a mini moon in august and family holiday in July... really not much I can do about them, all paid etc. I'd only need to move em a few days.

Should I tell them in advance or wait for the call to say

There's not much point calling in advance, because if they can accommodate you they will when the time comes. Stupid time of year to be conducting interviews anyway IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Boomtownrat81

I got called also. As someone requested earlier, could someone please post the job description/booklet for the AO Compliance?

I got called also. As someone requested earlier, could someone please post the job description/booklet for the AO Compliance?

I NEED THIS TOO PLEASE!

Progress is subject to performance review. To be honest, you'd want to be absolutely chronic at the job not to get your increment. I'm talking bottom 1-2% of the class!

Barney, are these increments annual?

Barney, are these increments annual?

Yes generally they are.

Do not forget that once you pass €32,800 you will be losing more than 50% to tax/usc/prsi though.

And over 60% when the three public sector pension deductions are subtracted:

- Contirubtion
    - Pension Levy
    - Lump sum deduction

What are these:

- Contirubtion
    - Lump sum deduction

What are these:

- Contirubtion
    - Lump sum deduction

Well, there is a standard pension contribution which most public servants make and always have made AFAIK.

Second is the pension levy which was introduced in 2009 which is another deduction due to the perilous state of the country's finances at the time and to a lesser extent now.

Finally, and the only one I was surprised with when I started, was the lump sum contribution. You can get a one-off lump sum maximum payment of 1.5 times your salary when you retire. I naively thought this was paid for using your standard contribution but there is a seperate deduction for it.

• Advertisement

Noodles, thanks.

I am familiar with the Pension Levy Deduction but not the second one... both of which are unreal value and would be a pleasure to pay essentially.

Did some numbers, over 13 years working up the scale I would be down €70k net on what I earn now and at year 13 there would be no difference but I would have a pension and a more promising job.

Does anyone know the rules on relocation... I hear you have to take the job in Dublin and wait two years until seeking to move... that would be tough on me

Noodles, thanks.

I am familiar with the Pension Levy Deduction but not the second one... both of which are unreal value and would be a pleasure to pay essentially.

Did some numbers, over 13 years working up the scale I would be down €70k net on what I earn now and at year 13 there would be no difference but I would have a pension and a more promising job.

Does anyone know the rules on relocation... I hear you have to take the job in Dublin and wait two years until seeking to move... that would be tough on me

Don't forget new entrants get their pension based not on final earnings but on career average earnings which is obviously quite less beneficial.

Relocation I do not know all the ins and outs of but unless a position becomes available you would have to find someone to 'swap' with in the location you want to move. Bound to be issues surrounding skills mismatch etc but worth looking into.

Don't forget new entrants get their pension based not on final earnings but on career average earnings which is obviously quite less beneficial.

Didn't know this, thanks.

Anyone know what happens with the PRSI paid thus far, i have 14-15 years PRSI paid so can I get a small contributory pension as well as government pension come that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Anyone know what happens with the PRSI paid thus far, i have 14-15 years PRSI paid so can I get a small contributory pension as well as government pension come that day?
    You will continue to pay Class A PRSI in the civil service & your pension will be coordinated with the State contributory pension - this applies to anyone recruited since 1995

pemtca wrote: »
    You will continue to pay Class A PRSI in the civil service & your pension will be coordinated with the State contributory pension - this applies to anyone recruited since 1995

Yeah, so basically - you only get one.

Thats a balls, basically 14-15 years PRSI for nothing...

Does that mean if I started at the age of 35 and worked there for 30 years my final pension would only be

€50,000 x 2/3 x 30/40 = €25,000 with no contributory OAP.

In other words it would only be worth an extra €13,000 to me per annum when compared to the current OAP?

€50,000 referred to above is assumed to be "average earnings"

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Does that mean if I started at the age of 35 and worked there for 30 years my final pension would only be

In other words it would only be worth an extra €13,000 to me per annum when compared to the current OAP?

Assuming an average 50K salary, you'd be looking at 50K x 1/2 x 30/40 = €18,750 pension per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Assuming a final salary of €50,000 & 30 years service, staring pre-January 2013 your pension would be calculated as follows:
    €40056.45 (3.3333 times state pension) x 1/200 x 30 = €€6008.47, plus
    €9943.55 (€50,000-€40056.45) x 1/80 x 30 = €3729, totalling €9737.47, this is in addition to the State Contributory Pension, currently €12017 per annum.

The 'average earnings' calculation is significantly different - you 'bank' an amount towards your pension & lump sum each year rather than doing a final calculation based on service.

pemtca wrote: »
    Assuming a final salary of €50,000 & 30 years service, staring pre-January 2013 your pension would be calculated as follows:
    €40056.45 (3.3333 times state pension) x 1/200 x 30 = €€6008.47, plus
    €9943.55 (€50,000-€40056.45) x 1/80 x 30 = €3729, totalling €9737.47, this is in addition to the State Contributory Pension, currently €12017 per annum.

The 'average earnings' calculation is significantly different - you 'bank' an amount towards your pension & lump sum each year rather than doing a final calculation based on service.

Wow... didn't know this.

• Advertisement

I have added another 10 years service – see below:

“€40056.45 (3.3333 times state pension) x 1/200 x 40 = €€8012.47, plus
    €9943.55 (€50,000-€40056.45) x 1/80 x 40 = €4971, totalling €12,983, this is in addition to the State Contributory Pension, currently €12017 per annum.”

Are we saying then that someone works with Revenue for 40 years they will only get a pension of €25,000 per annum (€12,986 + €12,017)?

Madness; I know of people getting teachers pensions of €40,000 +!!!

Advertisement