Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah

I wonder is it juice related too.. Im having the most trouble with tobaccos. an orange flavoured juice in an imperfect coil is still going to taste pretty orangeyr, enough so that youd be happy with it. but something like torque56 or naturales.. I know what it should taste like and that's whats killing me, I should be enjoying the vape Im getting because it's very good but I can't be happy unless I get it to that 100% I had before.

*shrug*

just a bad few days I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

eeloe wrote: »
    Got the PM today, my RTA is ready and should be with me next week!

Better get me some Xanax, gonna be a stressful couple of weeks! :-)

My one is on the way too along with the one I sent back to be reconditioned/repaired so I should have them Monday as they were posted last Tuesday. I'm looking forward to setting up now and trying it out properly as have had no rebuildable for last few weeks or so.

any tips on how to make the RDA more pocket friendly?

have a wedding in a few weeks and I dont want to be walking around with juice stained trousers or shirt/jacket all night. I've tried putting filler into the RDA to soak up juice but i'm having trouble getting it to feed to the wick.

half toying with the idea of buying a shedload of small stickers and just covering the airhole with one of them while I have it in my pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I had the same problem with the wadding too. It affected the wicking.

I just wrap a bit of tissue around it and it works well enough but I was thinking of trying a small wide rubber band and just sliding it up and down.

that's.... a very cool idea :)

will have to nip into an office supply store and find some elastic bands but that sounds pretty good

ordered some of the blue foam stuff to try as well but I'd imagine it'll have the same slow wicking issues as the carto filler

maybe if I tried rolling the carto filler tight around the wick...

• Advertisement

That airhole really is a nuisance alright and it's critical to the vapour. Must check when Steve will have the clear casing available too. At least then you would be better able to see how much juice was inside.

i actually dont mind taking the top off to check juice levels. I vape the el toro stuff mainly so I like to check the coil regular enough to see how caked it's getting.. this stuff wrecks coils

just found a small elastic band, fits snugly around the RDA and is just the rightr size to block the airhole

tried vaping with it on and couldn't get a draw at all so the hole is fully blocked.
    it looks a bit ****ed up but better than an embarrasingly placed stain on my trousers, will leave it on for the day and see if I get any leaks

How did the elastic band work? Just changed a coil/wick after 1 whole week......think that's the longest I've ever got from one.

works fine

can get a little bit of .. condensation under it. so if you're wearing white trousers you might get a little bit of seepage I guess, but if you have a bit of tissue on you you can wipe it off periodically. far better than no elastic anyway

I was having issues with mine all week.. one of the posts in the rda had loosened up so it was affecting the resistance of my coils. got it fixed today and the performance has improved quite a bit.. having other issues now though :)

having kind of a low level... burnt taste in every vape. dont know if it's the juice, the coil, the wick or what... im thinking maybe it's the wire settling in but I havent been able to stop myself from ripping it all apart and recoiling so haven't tested one yet over time.

im pretty sure a lot of the inconsistincies i was having lately were because of the loosened post so hopefully I'll be able to sort it all out now

• Advertisement

Whenever that happens to me it's always been the coil/wick. When I change it the burnt taste goes. Dunno what causes it either but it's impossible to get rid of it. Thats what happened my last set up. Even burnt taste at low voltage. Maybe a turn of the coil touching the post or something.......who the hell knows!!

hrm

screw it, I'll rip it all out so :)

hrm

screw it, I'll rip it all out so :)

It's gas though. Only takes a minute to throw a new one together when you get used to it.

aye, re coiled. burnt taste appears to be gone

kinda regretting selling my other one to grindle now... not just because he broke it 2 days after he got it (:p) but i'm no longer as certain as I was that I've figured it all out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

aye, re coiled. burnt taste appears to be gone

kinda regretting selling my other one to grindle now... not just because he broke it 2 days after he got it (:p) but i'm no longer as certain as I was that I've figured it all out
    Heyyyyyy!

The LT broke the RDA, just like you've broken my spirit. *sob*

I'm not sure there is a "figuring it out", too much intricate voodoo to attain perfection every time.
    Without a machine, or attaining coil-ninja status, variation's the name of the game.
    Never had a bad/burnt vape from it though (yet?).
    Can't wait for it to be fixed!

well.. I kinda figured out the problems I was having recently

it was one of the ****ing ego batteries

and it makes sense.. I was doing the same thing but day by day I'd eithe get decent or **** performance out of every coil.. no matter how I wound it

all day yesterday and this morning I was getting terrible vaping, bad taste on top of bad flavour
    battery ran dry today so I switched them over.. instant improvement. whatever is wrong with the battery it's screwing the entire vape up. may as well order some twists this week, having only one ego battery is a recipe for disaster

thought i'd do a quick round table to see how everyone ended up making their coils for the RDA

after many many.. many false dawns I've finally settled on the proper system for me. once clockworks suggested that my outer terminal post might be loose and I tightened that, everything fell into place and i'm now getting consistent performance and hassle free vaping. Performance can still be tweaked but that's a tiny issue, I no longer have to worry whether or not the coil I made will be vapeable or if it will have to be binned (and the juice wasted) straight away.

i'm using derra's suggested method of 4gf. 4 strands of xandreys 1mm wick under the coil with 2 tails lounging on the base of the rda. i pull it good and tight around the wick and splint so that it's cutting pretty hard into the wick.. then once I remove the splint it all bounces nicely into place. im still toying around with how many wraps of wire in the coil, pretty much settled on six very closely spaced turns of .20 nichrome which gives me around 1.4-1.5 ohms

once I get my ego twists I will probably start experimenting with .15 and .13 nichrome, i dont think it'll affect the vape much but with the twists especially I'd be looking to get a decent wattage to current relationship going so I can vape as I want to witout draining the battery too fast so high res high voltage would be the way to go there.

i assume everyone else here is using xandreys wick too? how you getting on, what you doing

Yep. Using Andrei's wick and 0.15 Kanthal wire.

I use 4 strands of Andrei's 1mm wick and 5 turns.
    Pass flame over the wick and the wire prior to assembly.
    I leave a loop either side of the posts and 1 strand either side.

Vape @ 3.9-4.0V.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

The wick that came with it was rubbish and dangerous...got loads of it in my mouth. I've used Andrei's and a few others' 1mm wick and all have been grand. Normally I'd use 5 turns of 20 Nichrome. I burn the wick, douse it with liquid and burn it off then after it cools rub about two drops of liquid along the length (four strands). The wick is stiff enough not to need a paper clip or nail to wrap the wire (not too tight) and makes it easier not to get stuck in the cover. Sometimes it works great, sometimes terrible so I think the problem must be the position of the air hole. There was a thread on the old uk vapers about this but I can't remember what the consensus was so I'll just have to keep trying different positions...probably could have worded that better:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Scuse me lads buts whats the bleeding difference between an RTA and an RDA. I know one is drip and other is tank, but both use tanks so what is the difference with the drip from the tank?
    May sound a silly question to the experts, but It has me puzzled. As I have ordered and RTA and just hope I have ordered the right one.

• Advertisement

RDA - Repairable Dripping Atomiser....as the title of the thread says

RTA - Repairable Tank Atomiser

http://clockworks-cornwall.co.uk/

the RTA has a largeish reservoir of juice on the bottom in a seperate tank that the wick sits in and feeds juice to the coil which rests in an upper chamber

the RDA is one chamber and you can fit quite a bit less juice in it than the RTA, so you drip 10-20 drops in at a time .. it's easier to change flavours too as you just vape it till it's dry enough and then put the new flavour in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

the RTA has a largeish reservoir of juice on the bottom in a seperate tank that the wick sits in and feeds juice to the coil which rests in an upper chamber

the RDA is one chamber and you can fit quite a bit less juice in it than the RTA, so you drip 10-20 drops in at a time .. it's easier to change flavours too as you just vape it till it's dry enough and then put the new flavour in

Cheers Digby that clears it up for me, the RDA seems a bit of a pain if your going out for the night, or spose you take out something else and avoid topping up regularly.

you can stick a bit of fluval or some other filler in the RDA so it performs like a tank, dulls the flavour a little bit but it's still good

i keep a small thick elastic band around my rda so when im putting it in my pocket i can cover up the airhole with it, prevent leaks

the rta woud be the better option for taking out alright but I have an rda so I make do :)

I'd say the RTA could be a pig to set up compared to the RDA.

yeah it looks it, i think i remember clockworks saying it's a little tricker with xandreys wick too as it's so thin.. maybe have to use 3 strands per hole instead of 2

guess mesh is the way to go with the RTA always but i've never had a mesh coil come out properly in an RDA

kinda... regretting getting the twists :)

I can get a perfect coil using .20 nichrome, comes out around 1.4 ohms
    great at 3.2v

for the life of me I can't get the perfect coil using .15. just can not do it. closest i'ce come is a 5 turn coil that came out at 2.4 ohms, decent enough but i like six turns.. if I do that it comes to 2.7 ohms which imo is a bit .. i dunno

it vapes fine I guess, but I didnt spend 40 on two new vv batteries to be vaping at the exat same ohmage I was vaping at before :) not to mention the extra 4 centimetres or whatever the twists have on my 650mah egos

kinda... regretting getting the twists :)

I can get a perfect coil using .20 nichrome, comes out around 1.4 ohms
    great at 3.2v

for the life of me I can't get the perfect coil using .15. just can not do it. closest i'ce come is a 5 turn coil that came out at 2.4 ohms, decent enough but i like six turns.. if I do that it comes to 2.7 ohms which imo is a bit .. i dunno

it vapes fine I guess, but I didnt spend 40 on two new vv batteries to be vaping at the exat same ohmage I was vaping at before :) not to mention the extra 4 centimetres or whatever the twists have on my 650mah egos

.20 works best for me, too. Have you tried running a lighter back and forth under the .15 until it glows and then make the coil? If nothing else it makes the wire easier to wind around the wick.

nah the coil making itself is fine it's just getting that sixth turn on without making the ohmage to high

it'd work great on my throathit mod.. but i just spent 40 odd quid on 2 ego twists.. i want to bloody use them :)

id feel like a tit if I stuck with my 1.4 ohm coils at max 3.5v on the twists.. even if It was the best vape I could get

• Advertisement

nah the coil making itself is fine it's just getting that sixth turn on without making the ohmage to high

it'd work great on my throathit mod.. but i just spent 40 odd quid on 2 ego twists.. i want to bloody use them :)

id feel like a tit if I stuck with my 1.4 ohm coils at max 3.5v on the twists.. even if It was the best vape I could get

That's the thing...1.4 would do me fine as I use 24mg so wouldn't go over 4 volts. Have you considered upping your nic level?

Advertisement