Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

take a picture if you can of where exactly you put it/how big the square is

heading to a 30th on saturday and not having to worry about juice running about in my trouser pocket would be a bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, I took a photo on the phone buy can't attach it.,....stupid iphone.

I'll use the PC tomorrow.

Here you go.

you finding it affecting the vapour at all? with the reduced space for it to accumulate and all

I dont think so anyway. Seems to be the same as normal as far as I can tell. The only thing is that it soaks up an awful lot of juice so you'd want to be sure that you liked the juice!

I dont think there's any effect on flavour either cos the vapour isn't being sucked through it like a carto................wonder could you use the filler from a carto now that I think about it! Vapour wouldn't be sucked through it so it mightn't have that carto taste?

Like I said, it uses an AWFUL lot of juice but you can sense a drop off in vapour earlier than just running out so it's easy to keep it topped off at the right level.

Edit: My wad of cotton wool is huge though anyway. A smaller wad should soak up a good bit of juice and not take up as much room in the chamber.

• Advertisement

yeah I think i saw people using carto filler as well.. if cotton wool is working for you though, why destroy a carto :)

whast did you take the cotton wool from.. im imagining one of those big horrible rolls of cotton wool mam always had in the pharmacy
    my entire body tingled in a horrible way whenever I had to touch them...hate hate that texture

:D

You can buy packs of flat cotton wool - probably about 2mm thick. They're for wiping babies bottoms, wiping hands etc. only a couple of euro's I imagine and a lifetime supply for what you'd require for this job!

I just pulled a bit off of a corner and put it in. I'd say mine is actually too big actually but there's a ton of juice in it so dont want to waste it! When this one works down a bit I'll cut it back cos now that you said it, I think there is a small drop off in vapour.

That stuff is 100% cotton as well so should be safe.

cool.. ill try grab some soon

like you said though, you'd want to be certain about vaping the same juice for a long while... which is something i havent mastered on the rda yet. I have about 30 bottles of juice on my desk I keep switching between every time I need a refill..

As usual, I couldn't stop myself.................:rolleyes:

I cracked open a carto and removed the filler. I cut off 2 x small squares and put them into the RDA in the same position as where I had the cotton wool.

I think it's better actually. It holds a fair bit of juice still and uses up less chamber volume. I think the vapour and flavour are pretty much the same as if the chamber was empty.

If you had an old carto it might be worth trying it? The cotton wool works well too but it just soaks up an awful lot of juice.

Edit: this is working really well. I thought there was a bit of a drop off in vapour and flavour a while ago but I checked the screws and they had worked themselves a bit loose. Tightened them up and it's working great.

What would you call this...a driptomiser....

will try the carto filler in a bit
    still fiddling with various coils arrangements and wires and whatnot

I remembred something derra said ages ago about leaving a couple of mm between the coil and the posts, rather than having them tight to it.. so i've been doing that this morning and the coil i'm vaping now is pretty fantastic
    it comes to 3.2ish ohms with 6-7 turns of .15 nichrome and 4 strands of wick, vaping it at 5.1 volts and it's very very flavourful, warm and lots of vapour.
    once ive vaped away the remainder of this liqua traditional tobacco I'll try a fruity/sweet juice in it and see how that tastes

• Advertisement

Was kind of curious to try 4 strands of Andrei's wick so guess what…ripped it apart again and used 4 strands of wick and 4 turns of 0.15 kanthal giving 1.9 ohms.

Added the carto filler and it held 30 drops! I could have probably even added more!!

Vapour and flavour are excellent on my eGo. I was always struggling a bit with Andrei's wick using even 3 strands. Used to dry out like hell but the 4 are excellent.

30 drops isnt too far off a boge carto

you must be chain vaping like crazy man if you're burning out 2 strands on an ego :)

30 drops isnt too far off a boge carto

you must be chain vaping like crazy man if you're burning out 2 strands on an ego :)

Thats the thing..I wasn't chain vaping. I might take 3 toots and it would be dry again. Just couldn't really get it to wick properly no matter how loose or tight I seemed to have the coil. I didn't have any problem using 2 strands of the clockworks stuff but I didn't want to chance using that stuff just in case I'd end up inhaling shards.

thats weird..
    I was burning with 2 strands too but mainly because I was vaping a 1.6ohm coil at five volts :)

thats weird..
    I was burning with 2 strands too but mainly because I was vaping a 1.6ohm coil at five volts :)

Wonde wasthe fact that I had more strands and the spacing and **** like that affecting it? Who the hell knows....................this stuff is like a black art!

hehe, yeah
    ive kinda given up on trying to understand it.. just gona find what works and try to replicate it

thick eliquids dont seem to agree with the rda

was vaping a 1.6ohm coil beautifully at 4v all day long
    throw in some papillion organic tobacco I got from houseofeliquid, lovely ****ing stuff.. 50/50 pg/vg
    but within 1 hour the wick had burnt to a charred mess

still vapeable, but I thought I noticed a flavour drop and I just hated the look of it

shame as this liquid was fast turning into my go-to vape, it's delicious and doesn't give me the jitters like the el toro stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

thick eliquids dont seem to agree with the rda

was vaping a 1.6ohm coil beautifully at 4v all day long
    throw in some papillion organic tobacco I got from houseofeliquid, lovely ****ing stuff.. 50/50 pg/vg
    but within 1 hour the wick had burnt to a charred mess

Is the wick gone all brittle and falling apart or is it just the flavour in the juice darkening the wick?

i guess it could be the flavouring, it is a very dark juice

hard to know if the wicks gone brittle theyre so wet and skinny, even when I try dry them off

ive been taking them apart after I notice the blackness.. maybe I should just fill one up from new and vape it for a long time, see if the blackness affects anything

--edit

and i guess i wasnt getting thhe same level of charring from the organic apple

Wick goes dark with certain juices, the more flavour the quicker the coil needs a dry burn.

The colour of the wick should'nt matter as long as the coil is kept relatively clean.

Should be getting a few days out of each set up unless your caning the atty out of it non-stop.

• Advertisement

well, I am kinda :)

ill keep at it tomorrow I guess, give the wick a good long test

if it was flavour buildup.. would dry burning clean the wick?

i think it is just burning the wick as I was getting a few kinda dry vapes this morning vaping the organic tobacco exclusively

might be best to leave this juice for a mesh setup, or maybe even break out the cartomisers

--edit

actually i think you're right it is the flavouring

i took the top off and dry burning the coil/wick till clean
    then dripped some of the juice onto the coil and fired it, repeating this a few times.. the wick started to go black pretty fast so it couldnt have been burning as I was dripping onto it keeping it wet

Mine is working great with the 4 strands of wick. Have it on the go for 2 days now.

I even used some tobacco juice on it yesterday and it tasted great and I usually hate tobacco flavours.

I threw some Liqua menthol into it the other day though and the taste was too strong after a while.

if it was flavour buildup.. would dry burning clean the wick?

--edit

i took the top off and dry burning the coil/wick till clean
    then dripped some of the juice onto the coil and fired it, repeating this a few times.. the wick started to go black pretty fast so it couldnt have been burning as I was dripping onto it keeping it wet

I would do a dry burn on the Bulli till it catches fire, some of the loops be blackish after it so i get a windproof lighter and and give it a quick going over and it comes up brand new.

Mine is working great with the 4 strands of wick. Have it on the go for 2 days now.

10 metres of quality wick should last you the best part of a year after you have finished experimenting and happy with a repair set up you know works well.

--edit

From a poster on UKVapers..

If you want to waste some juice in the interests of science, put a small amount in a teaspoon and hold it over a gas flame. You will find a greater or smaller amount of burnt residue. This is from the flavouring. If you try the same experiment with pure PG or pure VG, they will burn but leave no residue.

next time I get the kitchen to myself Ill give it a go.. not trying that in front of my parents :)

vaped on a single coil for like ten hours last night cos I went out with the RDA, longest I've gone without deciding it needed fiddling with and making a whole new arrangement. worked great.. I think having my wick/wire on the desk while I vape just encourages me to be stupid and not be happy with my vape.

I'm on the same coil since Friday. The temptation to go fiddling is always there though!

heading out for the night so didnt want to be dripping every half hour

derra sent me some filler material for the bulli, so I cut a little bit off and pushed it into the RDA behind the posts.. sure as hell soaks up the juice

heading out in an hour so I dont know if Ill be able to vape enough to really test its juice feeding capabilities before I gotta go, but sure worst comes to worst Ill just take the filler out and drip as normal :)

it seems to change the vape too.. it's quite a bit warmer now that there's not as much room for the vapour to flow around there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, carto filler or cotton wool does too. I found that it kind of competed with the wick though and that I was topping up nearly as often as without it.

It never ran dry though cos there was always enough on the wick.

Advertisement