Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

as cocky as I was earlier about the mesh wicks setup.. spent the last six hours trying to get it right :)

think I got it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Just got a bit cocky there myself, and built my first dual coil in the RDA. Absolutely bananas!

Nic-head-rush-central over here and my Swedish Fish has never tasted better! WAAAAH!

Too much nic. Feel like I've gulped a double espresso.

Imagine three coils! :eek:

mustnotimaginethreecoilsmustnotimaginethreecoilsmustnotimaginethreecoils

i've never understood how to dual coil in repairables...
    do one for vapefest and show me how :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

What do the 2 coils need to be to make say 2.3 ohms? I'd say it's some juice monster!!! Some nic rush too alright I'd say.

Fecking hard enough getting 1 right though, never mind 2.

well from what I gather two 3 ohm coils gives an overall resistance of 1.5 so you'd need two 4.6ohm coils?

mebbe get some .13 nichrome :)

• Advertisement

well from what I gather two 3 ohm coils gives an overall resistance of 1.5 so you'd need two 4.6ohm coils?

mebbe get some .13 nichrome :)

Nah, I'd never manage to get 2 coils right!

i've never understood how to dual coil in repairables...
    The same as a single coil, but one above the other. You've just got to put the top coil's legs into the posts a little less, so you can push it (fairly) clear of the bottom coil.
    I made two 4Ω coils with .16 nichrome, measuring on the LT as a 1.9Ω, vaping like a champ at 4.3v.
    do one for vapefest and show me how :)
    Gladly, if I can make it, rolling stock-takes announced in work, and the shop I was getting cover from have their stock-take that week. :(
    Once the RDA dries up a bit I'll pop the bottom off and take a photo, although the cotton may have engulfed the coils by now. We'll see.
    What do the 2 coils need to be to make say 2.3 ohms? I'd say it's some juice monster!!! Some nic rush too alright I'd say.

Fecking hard enough getting 1 right though, never mind 2.
    Two 4.6-4.8Ω coils should hit the spot.

I'm using one of those mini-screwdrivers you'd find in a €2 shop to wind the wire around, then slip a strip of cotton through it (I think I have you to thank for the "use cotton" heads-up, though I can't seem to make it work great in the Vivi Nova? Once it expands, airflow takes a nose-dive.).

Haven't had a bad coil yet that way, and my coils before (wind-round-pin method), while they worked great, were messy as fuck.

so you use two seperate pieces of wick?

so you use two seperate pieces of wick?

Yup.

Ha ha..... I knew Digby would have to try it!!

• Advertisement

i dunno

i use 4 strands of xandreys wick.. if I dual coil'd that it'd be 8 strands... the rda is kind of a confined space :)

It'd be easy enough to have both coils on the same wick, just leave the top coil with less wick in it. A U-shaped wick.
    Not sure what the feeding would be like to the top coil, but if wick is expected to draw moisture from the bottom of a Vivi, or an RTA, the 2mm journey to the higher coil shouldn't be a problem.
    With cotton, it expands so much that the top coil is just drawing the juice from the bottom coil.

My Throathit just lost it's charge for the first time ever! What a time to die...

Could you put one either side rather than on top of each other?

You could, if you made one leg on each coil longer, but the air wouldn't quite hit the coils right, I think, unless you were building vertically.

The margin for that air-hole hitting a coil right is slim enough.

Vertical mesh coils could be a winner, and probably the easiest way to accurately build a triple coil.
    Could the mesh melt the delrin from the heat, though?

Apologies for the shocking image quality, my crappy old phone doesn't do well in low-light.

g3Qhw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Im kind of confused on the different mm's of the wick's and coil's can someone help me out on finding a good place to purchase some and what size i should get il be using it on a phoenix rebuildable-thanks bernard

have a look in whatever thread it was you said you were going to buy the phoenix in.. i cant be arsed typing it all again :)

Wonder when somebody will invent a yoke that will help with making the coils? Something that you slip between the winds to make the spacing consistent.

I was thinking about that, and someone on some forum was using a mini fishing reel of some kind for that.
    If there was some device that you could wind on the top and a coil came out, I'd cream myself.
    Doesn't sound like it'd be too hard to make, does it?

Think I saw that before on ukvapers alright but it just holds the splint.

Yeah, it should be easy enough to design something I'd imagine - but I couldn't do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Someone said they wind the wire around a 2mm screw then remove the screw and insert the wick...said it gave evenly spaced coil but sounds a bit odd to me. I might give it a go if I can find a 2mm screw.

im pretty sure i'd have a monstrous time if I tried to thread wick through an already assembled coil

im pretty sure i'd have a monstrous time if I tried to thread wick through an already assembled coil
    Get some thin thread/cat gut (that's what I use), loop the wick into a 'U' around the cat gut, pull the cat gut through the coil.
    I'm the Paul Daniels of rebuildables so I am.

grindle wrote: »
    Get some thin thread/cat gut (that's what I use), loop the wick into a 'U' around the cat gut, pull the cat gut through the coil.
    I'm the Paul Daniels of rebuildables so I am.

That's the way I rewick the Ego-C heads.

Bubba9 wrote: »
    That's the way I rewick the Ego-C heads.

There can be only one Paul Daniels of rebuildables!!!
    I challenge you to a dual (coil)!

Fuck, that's pathetically nerdy talk altogether.

Get a life, me.

grindle wrote: »
    There can be only one Paul Daniels of rebuildables!!!
    I challenge you to a dual (coil)!

Fuck, that's pathetically nerdy talk altogether.

Get a life, me.

I'd be more like the Tommy Cooper of rebuildables....you're title's safe.

I got a screw and wound 5 coils of 0.15 kanthal which I'd preheated around it. I wound some cotton wool pad and threaded it through. Haven't a clue what resistance it is but prob around 2.

Vaping like a champ and the coils are nice and evenly spaced. Ideally I'd like them a little closer together but happy with them for a first pass. The other great thing is that the cotton wool soaks a big volume of juice.

Only thing is that I wound it back to front so I have it on the opposite side than I normally use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

My wick hasn't arrived yet, the pre wound coils that came with the atty are shocking and I cant get a mesh wick to work right when dripping :(

Elbow wrote: »
    My wick hasn't arrived yet, the pre wound coils that came with the atty are shocking and I cant get a mesh wick to work right when dripping :(

What's up with the prewound ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

What's up with the prewound ones?

Honestly i'm not sure if its the wick, the wire or a combination of both, I had enough fiberglass wick to make one coil myself and while that didn't perform great it was far better than anything that i've managed with the prewound ones since.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong but most people that have posted anything about it online have had similar experiences.

Gonna try taking the wire off one of them now and using the wick to make my own

Update: I now have a 1.3Ω coil the produces feck all vapor but great flavor!

Really looking forward to the rebuildable workshop at vapefest, I've no doubt that one of ye can make the Mark T live up to its reputation & produce a fantastic vape, if only I knew what I was doing.........

Advertisement