Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

RTA ready and I've no money this week to pay for it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I can pay for it for ya, and when mines ready you can for that?

thanks for the offer, but i pm'd clockworks after i posted and he said he'd bump me down a couple of batches

im not even sure I want an RTA now tbh.. the RDA with some filler in there is basically a tank. Im only curious about the mesh wicks in the RTA.. guess I can sell it on after a couple of weeks if I dont end up using it much

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Fairly decent of him to move ya down, sure it's be easy enough to swap ya around with someone anyway! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I heated kanthal and wick over a flame yesterday. I mean REALLY heated them. Does it change the resistance if you heat it too much? Didn't have a multimeter at home. Anyway, it was spitting and harsh as hell. Had to make up a new one this morning.

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    Fairly decent of him to move ya down, sure it's be easy enough to swap ya around with someone anyway! :-)

heh yeah
    he got the cnc parts anyway and they're good, so he's able to make a batch a week now and iirc there's only 4-5 batches left in the list so come next month.. if you want an RTA itll probably be done the week you ask for it

I heated kanthal and wick over a flame yesterday. I mean REALLY heated them. Does it change the resistance if you heat it too much? Didn't have a multimeter at home. Anyway, it was spitting and harsh as hell. Had to make up a new one this morning.

i dunno if it changes the resistance. afaik the resistance builds with use because stuff gets built up on the wire in the coil after you've been using it for a long time
    heating it just makes it easier to work with and gets rid of the initial taste I think

the resistance changes when its hot alright.. but I think once it cools down it normalises, so i dont think the lighter flame would change it

Made a new one using 3 strands and 5 turns of 0.15 kanthal pre heated wick and wire. I think the last pre heated one was lower resistance than I wanted and was too harsh for me. Could it have been that 4 turns on pre heated is shorter than non pre heated cos it handles better?

This one is vaping well. For some reason though, the RDA is crackling or spitting a lot for the last few coils that I've made. Ever notice that?

Have to say, my spending has dropped a lot since I got the RDA. 30ml of juice lasts me 2 weeks so I just buy my usual flavour and throw in a tester for a new flavour as well.

I did get that a few times... dont know what caused it, hasnt happened in a while now that I think about it. i was getting a little bit of crackling yesterday when I pumped the voltage up, but that was a good crackling.. like you'd hear out of a good boge

I was having trouble with my rda all day, my cigarillos naturales just wasn't tasting good at all and I was pretty frustrated. decided to try some of e-smoke's orange ice cream and it tastes better than I'd ever tasted it. whatever i'd done differently this morning really suits the e-smoke juices.

i think im gona start taking photographs of all the coils I make and try to see which works best with which juice. it's probably something simple like the coils are .025mm further apart than yesterday :)

The crackling is not a bad one. If I take the top off and fire it up it almost sizzles and spits. Not a problem anyway but happens sometimes and then might not happen for the next coil.

Wonder when he'll be getting the clear tubes in. Might get a clear tube from him when he does. Think he sent some out for testing a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement

if it's spitting, maybe there's too much juice on the wick?

have you tried it with an extra turn or two on the coil to dry out the wick a little faster?

Kinda limited as to how many turns I can use cos I don't have a real VV and an extra turn or two is too much. I always end up ripping it out after a few hours cos its not low enough resistance. Doesn't bother me anyway, just curious really.

This cotton wick thing is starting to keep coming into my head......probably end up trying it sometime......and start a little fire!

hrm

how close are you putting the turns on the coil?

the coil im vaping atm that wasnt doing too well with cigarillos the turns are so close they're almost touching.. can barely see the wick in between.. if you try it like that it might stop the spitting as the wick directly under the coil will be drying out pretty quick

Ya know what, ya could be right. I think I've started to put the turns closer together the more practice I've had. They're spaced apart alright but closer than when I started making my own.

I tried some IV Blathnaid 18mg in the RDA and it was very nice but I usually vape 9mg. Threw back in some 9mg again today and I must say I have a hankering for the higher strength again now. Just shows that you can wean down but you can get a longing for higher conc. pretty quickly again.

decided to give mesh another go tonight

i have a mesh wick with some kanthal wrapped around it in one rda, comes out about 2ohms. not terribly impressed with it. flavour isn't very good, and I have to push it past 5v to get a decent amount of vapour.. anything under and its like sticking an SR boge onto an ego battery.. piddling amounts and cold as hell
    flavour like I said, not crazy about.. I can taste it in the background but it's not very present.

made a hybrid wick as well. standard 4 strands of andreis wick with a bit of mesh wrapped around where the coil goes.. this is a different beast altogether. still has the same issue with vapour and voltage although i donnt have to push it as high but the flavour is something else. vaping some of e-smokeirelands banana tart atm and i'm tasting things in it I never did before.
    have a 1.6ohm nichrome coil in here at 3.9v

im guessing with the full mesh wick I either have too much mesh (or too little maybe) or I didn't roll it properly, too big/small a hole in the middle. i'll go back to it again in the future.

so far while i'm loving the flavour of the hybrid, neither of them are as good as a normal wick/nichrome setup (when I get it right) in terms of the vape. flavour the hybrid much better alright but there's just something missing.

Okay, I've still been getting this hint of something in the background using the Kanthal so I used a bit of Nichrome 0.13 today and that hint of taste is gone. I assume it's the Kanthal wire that was causing it.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting some Nichrome wire from Liberty Flights but I'm not sure what kind it is? For instance, I know that 4 turns of 0.13 Nichrome works for me. I wonder is this stuff the same cos it just gives ohms/m?

http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=172

if you're ever feeling bad about your winding skills

rest assured you're better than grimgreen (around 3 minutes)

Okay, I've still been getting this hint of something in the background using the Kanthal so I used a bit of Nichrome 0.13 today and that hint of taste is gone. I assume it's the Kanthal wire that was causing it.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting some Nichrome wire from Liberty Flights but I'm not sure what kind it is? For instance, I know that 4 turns of 0.13 Nichrome works for me. I wonder is this stuff the same cos it just gives ohms/m?

http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=172

kept meaning to reply to this but kept forgetting

wires.co.uk get some .13 there, cheap as chips. pricing is a bit high but even with that i think the wire works out damned cheap

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Any ideas on what would cause a coil to give very little vapour, an off flavour with lots of dry hits, and huge TH that really scrapes the throat/lungs?

It's a 3.0ohm coil with 7 turns of 0.16 kanthal. I've tried the air hole in every imaginable position.

edit: oh, and it looks like it's wicking properly at least.

• Advertisement

I tried my 1.8 ohm @ 4.8 V on my eGo-C twist this morning. Awful burnt taste but the flavour was good again at 4.0 V. I was using the strawberry milkshake. Just makes me wonder how people vape at higher than 4.0 V or so.

I suppose people use higher resistance coils then? If that's the case though, why not just make a lower resistance coil and use a lower voltage?

stevenmu wrote: »
    Any ideas on what would cause a coil to give very little vapour, an off flavour with lots of dry hits, and huge TH that really scrapes the throat/lungs?

It's a 3.0ohm coil with 7 turns of 0.16 kanthal. I've tried the air hole in every imaginable position.

I dont know but I've had a few harsh ones before but the flavour and vapour have always been pretty good. I find that the IV stuff gives better vapour than Liqua so the juice has an effect.

By any chance are you strangling the wick?

we'd better all go to the vapefest in portlaoise

leave everyone else to do the other stuff, we'll find a table and finally nail down how to do this **** properly

everyone bring 20metres of wick and wire

stevenmu wrote: »

the off flavour is propbably the kanthal. it has a strong enough off flavour until it breaks in, the down side is it can take longer than nichrome to break in the plus side is when it's broken in the flavour dissapears completely unlike nichrome where it's always there in a low level in the background

you might be winding it too tight or too loose tbh.. are you using 2 strands of wick or 4? I found when I vaped at high voltages, whatever the resistance of the coil, on 2 strands I got pretty dry hits more often than at 4 strands

I tried my 1.8 ohm @ 4.8 V on my eGo-C twist this morning. Awful burnt taste but the flavour was good again at 4.0 V. I was using the strawberry milkshake. Just makes me wonder how people vape at higher than 4.0 V or so.

I suppose people use higher resistance coils then? If that's the case though, why not just make a lower resistance coil and use a lower voltage?

im vaping a 1.8ohm coil at 5v atm. I had to vape it at 4v for the first day or two as 5 was being too harsh, after the first couple of days though I bumped it back up to 5 and performance is right where I like it

well no, theperformance was still great at 4v.. but it's the flavour. I have it in my head how every juice I like is supposed to taste, I got the flavour to that point once and now unless I get it tasting like that again the coil isn't as good as it oughta be imo.

on the plus side i've been vaping this coil for about 4-5 days now. I think I'm finally over the impulsive need to rip a coil out after six hours and try again, I wind.. I vape.. if it isn't perfect I don't care, I'll try again in a few days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

By any chance are you strangling the wick?
    you might be winding it too tight or too loose tbh.. are you using 2 strands of wick or 4? I found when I vaped at high voltages, whatever the resistance of the coil, on 2 strands I got pretty dry hits more often than at 4 strands

I think you're both on to something here, I did wind this coil really really tight, so could very well have tightened it too much.

yeah
    this thing of ours is more of an art than a science. ohms, voltages, watts, inches.. they all matter but at the end of the day it's the application that's more important than all of them

a well wound coil at a resistance/wattage you dont prefer is gona be far better than a poorly wound coil at a resistance/wattage you would normaly vape at

anyone know how long you can get a coil to last on one of these?

providing the coil doesn't snap with the heat and the wick doesn't fall apart.. surely if you keep dry burning it, it should last for weeks yeah?

Duuno to be honest. I do find that they tend to drop off in flavour after a couple of days alright and I usually just chuck it after about 4 days without trying to clean it even.

Maybe I should put a lighter or something under it but I'm kind of afraid that I'll damage the RDA itself in some way.

• Advertisement

do you dry burn at all? it really does add to the life of it

the cigarillos naturales im using atm gunks up coils like nobodies business, and vaping a 1.8ohm ish coil at 5 volts I find I have to dry burn once a day to get decent performance. I usually do it first thing in the morning before I start vaping just to get it out of the way but thent the rest of the day is golden, unless I want to shift a particularly strong flavour from the wick.. then a dry burn is again required.

Advertisement