Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers and their summer holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I work in the Private Sector and have it easy enough for very good money.
    I previously worked in the Public Sector (many years ago) for good enough money too but but not half the job satisfaction.
    It's swings and roundabouts. There are knaves in the Private Sector just like there are knaves in the Public Sector. There is good money in some parts of each sector and bad in other parts.

What do you work at? Must be a great job that you have.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Obviously not factually correct - merely to highlight the dramatic increase in SNE's in the last decade or so

300 in 1997
    10,800 in 2011
    1997 most of the children who would qualify for SNAs were in special schools, those children are now in mainstream.(Costs the State a lot less, as the PTR is special schools would be low)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Special needs assistant hardly existed as a job about 15 years ago - to clarify there were only 300 in the entire country in 1997

There was about 10,800 special needs assistants a couple of years ago - this was supposed to be cut by a couple of hundred in the last year or so

A quick google has proved your numbers wrong.
    There are around 6,000 S.N.E's in Irish schools.
    http://www.teagasc.ie/ruraldev/docs/factsheets/44_Special_Needs_Assitant.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

djPSB wrote: »
    I was in America for a summer a few years ago while in college.

Meself and me friends worked hard for the summer to fund the sessions.

But there was 5 teachers with us who didn't need to work a day because they had their wages coming in to their accounts every two weeks.

Some life!!

You were a student. Why compare your situation to someone working full-time?
    Teachers don't get paid while they are students either.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Special needs assistant hardly existed as a job about 15 years ago - to clarify there were only 300 in the entire country in 1997

And shame on this country for those numbers. The fact that special needs education was and is still so horrifically under developed is something Irish people should be sick to their stomach about.

There was about 10,800 special needs assistants a couple of years ago - this was supposed to be cut by a couple of hundred in the last year or so

Using the most recent CSO stats I could find from '06 there are about 797,945 students enrolled in the Irish education system in first and second level. Even the 10,800 SNAs employed figure from a few years ago (since then it has significantly reduced) is seriously lacking given the amount of pupils they are supposed to be helping.

The spending on special needs care in this country is a disgrace. It is always the first one in line when the time for spending cuts rolls around. A disturbing problem that doesn't get the level of media attention it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

They need those summer months for god sake , teachers down where I live get a summer job during the summer months .seasonal yes . Marking papers is squeezed into a certain part of the summer they are not correcting all the time and they get extra for that too .., they'd hardly do ut for nothing .... What would the unions think ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

A quick google has proved your numbers wrong.
    There are around 6,000 S.N.E's in Irish schools.
    http://www.teagasc.ie/ruraldev/docs/factsheets/44_Special_Needs_Assitant.pdf

Ah give me some credit will you - your numbers are from 2006

See 2011 quoted at bottom of page here, 10,800:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0622/1224299384956.html

1997 most of the children who would qualify for SNAs were in special schools, those children are now in mainstream.(Costs the State a lot less, as the PTR is special schools would be low)

This is a very good point

Do you have any numbers for the savings that have been made say between 1997 and 2011 because of this change? Or even the number of special schools that existed back then verus now?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Rega

So it's the teachers who are the root cause of the Irish economic crisis?

And here's me thinking the banks and the crazy building boom were factors.

Fecking hell, someone tell Chief Economist Willem Buiter that Anglo doesn't need another €30 billion bailout!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0109/breaking49.html

Rega wrote: »
    So it's the teachers who are the root cause of the Irish economic crisis?

And here's me thinking the banks and the crazy building boom were factors.

Fecking hell, someone tell Chief Economist Willem Buiter that Anglo doesn't need another €30 billion bailout!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0109/breaking49.html[/QUOTE]

Irregardless of the bank - we have a huge public spending deficit - nothing to do with the banks

We are paying way to much in public wages and social welfare

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh look, it's this topic again.

The one where teachers are attacked with figures that are out of context at best and completly misrepresented at worst. The one where teachers are attacked and then told to stop moaning when they defend themselves. The one where people who have no experience of teaching except that of an outsider's view come in and tell teachers exactly what their job does and does not entail.

I do find these topics so fun....

....wait, no. Not fun. Repeditive. That's the word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Sack the bad teachers i say!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah. You cant do that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Why on earth do teachers at both primary and secondary schools get three and four months of summer holidays respectively?

LOL! 'facts' completely wrong!

But why should that get in the way of a spluttering rant? Weather forecast for June shows showers of spittle and feelings of downright indignation heading our way :pac:

Sack the bad teachers i say!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah. You cant do that:(

No you have to wait till there 55 and hope they take the very nice retirement package that you offer them

While the mugs who are paying for it stay working till 65 or beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OK. As a social experiment...

Lets pay teachers minimum wage, working nine to five. Lets see the quality of teaching staff we have then. Lets still not pay them extra for planning, corrections etc. (Maybe they could get all this done during the croke park hours?).

Lets bring the nations kids, from 5-18 years old, into school 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year.

Lets see where we're at in 20 years time....

On a separate note.... Delighted to be taking cash from Tipp Man. Long may it continue.
    :D

endacl wrote: »
    OK. As a social experiment...

Lets pay teachers minimum wage, working nine to five. Lets see the quality of teaching staff we have then. Lets still not pay them extra for planning, corrections etc. (Maybe they could get all this done during the croke park hours?).

Lets bring the nations kids, from 5-18 years old, into school 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year.

Lets see where we're at in 20 years time....

Have you seen by just how much the educational standards have fallen by in this country in the last 15 years??

If you haven't let me tell you that in the last 15 years we have fallen off a cliff. We have fallen dramtially in nearly ever international study that is done with regards to literacy and numeracy

We don't even have qualified maths teachers teaching mathes in a lot of schools

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have you seen by just how much the educational standards have fallen by in this country in the last 15 years??

If you haven't let me tell you that in the last 15 years we have fallen off a cliff. We have fallen dramtially in nearly ever international study that is done with regards to literacy and numeracy

You'd nearly think that there's people who don't value education in this country :rolleyes:

You'd nearly think that there's people who don't value education in this country :rolleyes:

People value it alright but we are getting **** all return for the huge investment that is being made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

So you want a world-class education system, but don't want to pay for it.

• Advertisement

Or spelling...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The spelling is desperate too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Rega

Do you know who I hate?

Immigrants!

Wahey!:D

*leaves thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

All the whingers on here could have put teaching on their CAO form too.

I am not a teacher but the holidays are part of what they signed up for along with putting up with badly behaved kids, worse behaved parents and now many people falsely assuming they do very little for small fortunes.

I cant imagine teaching is a piece of cake, in fact I would imagine it is a quite demanding stressful job requiring very dedicated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Can you back this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

dirtyden wrote: »
    All the whingers on here could have put teaching on their CAO form too.

I am not a teacher but the holidays are part of what they signed up for along with putting up with badly behaved kids, worse behaved parents and now many people falsely assuming they do very little for small fortunes.

I cant imagine teaching is a piece of cake, in fact I would imagine it is a quite demanding stressful job requiring very dedicated people.

This.

I knew that teachers got 2-3 months holidays when I was filling out my CAO form, but I was also certain that it was a job I didn't want to do. Good luck to them.

endacl wrote: »
    Or spelling...

;)
    The spelling is desperate too :rolleyes:

oh dear - resorting to typos as a retort??

oh dear - resorting to typos as a retort??
    Nope. Taking the pi55. You're making it easy...:D

dirtyden wrote: »
    Can you back this up?

I sure can

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/1015/1224305838288.html

Any OECD or international report in the last few years says exactly the same thing i.e wages increased dramtically (83% in a few years) while standards of numeracy and literacy have fallen dramatically

• Advertisement

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    So you want a world-class education system, but don't want to pay for it.

No the problem is we are paying for a world class education system - our teachers are 1 of the highest paid in the world

But our standards are falling dramatically - we no longer have a world class education system

So we are paying but not getting it back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement