Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers and their summer holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tipp Man wrote: »
    the most basic of office jobs nowadays is a 37.5 hour week - that leaves a teacher with 15.5 hours EVERY week to do all this community and school enrichment. that's a whole lotta enrichment

and when they are travelling half the country to matches don't forget that they aren't in the classroom teaching

Will you just quit whinging. They get what they get and that's that. Begrudgery will get you nowhere. At least the teachers are doing something useful unlike the politicians who get far more pay etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

Also would just like to point out the following.

A secondary teacher starting off is on 27, 814 euros.

(as an aside, a contracted HSE cleaner is on 26,000 euro)

That is with the full 22 hours, which never happens to a newly qualified teacher.

So if a new teacher has, say 14 hours, well you divide 14 by 22 and multiply it by 27, 614....that is your starting figure for a new secondary teacher, which is 17, 699.

People would want to do their research before lazily giving criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

You used to remind the teacher to give you and your classmates homework didn't you?

He was prob also the one who asked for suprise tests...and loved them!

the most basic of office jobs nowadays is a 37.5 hour week - that leaves a teacher with 15.5 hours EVERY week to do all this community and school enrichment. that's a whole lotta enrichment

and when they are travelling half the country to matches don't forget that they aren't in the classroom teaching
    Who said anything about average office work hours? You gripe was with teachers only working 22 hours, which I discredited.

Would you rather the various sports teams made their own way to matches around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My wife is a secondary teacher and I thought the same as you before I met her and lived with her. They do 9-4 Mon to Friday but no one sees the prep work they do in the evenings each week too. I'd say my wife does another 2 to 3 hours most evenings after school and on a Sunday night too in preparation for Monday. They don't get paid any extra for it. They also have to suffer spoilt cheeky brats daily and can very little about them as the laws and regulations protect practically every one bar the teachers. I wouldn't have the patience to do their job and I think they thoroughly deserve their holidays.

OP it's not as clear cut as you make out, maybe if you had to do their job for a few months you'd change your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I dont begrudge them there 3 months off, having to deal with kids and brats of teenagers everyday of the week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

gurramok wrote: »
    If a teacher cannot control a class, they are a bad teacher. Good teachers who earn their keep can control a class and teach, we all had both types in school.
    Really?So teachers getting spat at,assaulted,threatened by teenagers and/or parents is because they are bad teachers???

You really need to spend some time in a school where there is no regard for education by many of the parents,who will back little Asbo (all 6 feet of him)to the hilt ,sure he only brought the Stanley knife in by accident and he was just showing it to the (terrified) student he has bullied at home and at school relentlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Will you just quit whinging. They get what they get and that's that. Begrudgery will get you nowhere. At least the teachers are doing something useful unlike the politicians who get far more pay etc.

See this is what sickens me about this country - teachers are way overpaid for the amount of work they do and the entitlements they have

When you highlight this and want to discuss it then you get called a begrudger

how about i am a person who actually wants to see this country get back on its feet again - and having the highest paid teachers in the world working about 65% of the year is not going to get us back anyway - only further into the hole

But if you are happy to have your head buried in the hole then go right ahead - me I'm going to fight to get this country back on track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Eathrin wrote: »
    Teachers aren't paid enough to be working more than 9 months.

In Ireland, yes they are.

That is with the full 22 hours, which never happens to a newly qualified teacher.

So if a new teacher has, say 14 hours, well you divide 14 by 22 and multiply it by 27, 614....that is your starting figure for a new secondary teacher, which is 17, 699.

and what the hell do you think trainee accountant or solicitors are earning??

Let me tell you less and 17,699 and they are working a full bloody week to get it - not 14 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

The pressure on teachers in the UK is many many times more than it is on teachers in Ireland - and they get paid a whole lot less and have about half the summer holidays - yet we are the country that is in a bailout with the IMF (although UK not a whole lot better admittedly)

Just in case you are interested in the actual figures.

Weeks worked per year (primary)
    England 38
    Ireland 37
    Class Contact Hours per year
    England 635
    Ireland 915

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Teaching really is a vocation and it takes a certain type of person to do it. It's very rewarding but is like an obsticle course in terms of challenges...

Try teaching a kid who thinks his life time goal for when he leaves school is to claim the social.

Typical attitudes of clueless people here who like to speak the loudest but really don't have all the accurate info!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Not one of these fucking threads again...

See this is what sickens me about this country - teachers are way overpaid for the amount of work they do and the entitlements they have

When you highlight this and want to discuss it then you get called a begrudger

how about i am a person who actually wants to see this country get back on its feet again - and having the highest paid teachers in the world working about 65% of the year is not going to get us back anyway - only further into the hole

But if you are happy to have your head buried in the hole then go right ahead - me I'm going to fight to get this country back on track

So is your gripe because the teachers are getting too much or because you are not earning enough ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

OS119 wrote: »
    its not far off.

my mrs is a primary school teacher, she has 39 kids from 2 different school years in her class, 7 of whom have SEN's. she is the SEN coordinator for the school, she is current 'backstopping' for the NQT in the classroom next door - this means she's doing all the fcuktards planning, and checking all her marking.

most of the time her packed lunch returns unopened, and 3 days out of 5 she will get home at 5pm having not had a chance to have a piss since she walked in at 7.45am. two nights a week she won't be home till 6.30, and when she has parents evening she won't get a break between finishing teaching at 3.15 and the last parent leaving at 9.30.

she almost never has less than an hours work to do in the evening, on most nights it will be about 90 mins, and on some - like now, its 2 to 3 hours every single night - she will spend about 2 hours working every saturday morning, and in celebration of our half term next week, she has booked 3 full days of report writing. 39 kids, eight subjects each - and then check, and re-write, all the work of the fcuktard next door.

my wife has to deal with 9 yo children who have not been toilet trained, been kicked in the stomach while pregnant, launched at by a mong parent when my wife said that all the things the parent said the child can't do, the child can do. like getting dressed on their own. she has also had 'hore' scratched into her car paintwork. probably by the same mong.

of the six weeks she gets off in the summer, one of them will be planning for the next academic year.

any volunteers?

I'd take that job, considering its not any more difficult than the job I currently do...

So is your gripe because the teachers are getting too much or because you are not earning enough ?

So you don't have any arguement then only to call me a begrudger

If you are a teacher and that is the best you can come up with then god help the youth of today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Well students wouldn't be expected to go to school during the summer holidays then? They need a rest from study and refresh and recharge their batteries no harm for the teachers to do that. Then again they can teach other things like music, sport or art (like a summer camp) during the summer holidays not necessary primary or secondary teaching!

Just cause teachers get a break for the summer holidays doesn't necessary mean they don't work hard during the summer whether they are teaching or not, you forget they have paper work to do as well while assessing a students progress not just teaching the students during the course of the year. Teachers also have to have a list of things to include in their curriculum for the year its called 'planning' planning ahead for the year so basically Teachers do a certain level of work while they are off!

Money wise there isn't enough money to pay them for a whole year. The longer they teach each year of service the higher their salary will increase whether that is still the case after so many years teaching now if that is the case I am unsure if it still is. There are new introductions in place that teachers cannot retire until 67.

Teaching is a tougher job than you think! There is an embargo on recruitment of teachers aswell meaning only temporary teaching positions are available at the moment not many permanent positions if not any.

You should be lucky there are teachers still teaching in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭granturismo

There are 34 pupils in my son's class. His teacher gets 8 weeks summer holidays, she deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I never said it was cushy, it certainly isn't at times. Also, I wouldn't choose a career because of its perceived cushy-ness.[/QUOTE]

I, on the other hand...

Let me tell you less and 17,699 and they are working a full bloody week to get it - not 14 hours
    And who's giving out about the trainee accountants and solicitors?

• Advertisement

There was a time that teachers had a class of between 40-60!! Could you just imagine teaching that number of students!? Young children/teenagers that is!?

You need patience and a strong personality for teaching as well as caring and helping children by teaching them. Its a lot of effort, time, patience and will power.

Looking after one or two children is nothing compared to a class of 20-30!
    Kids as you very well know can break you heart, students can test a teachers patience no matter how a child is socially and academically.

Its the feeling of having taught a child something to enrich their learning is rewarding for a teacher. People forget that. That there is joy and hardship in teaching and learning that applies to both teachers and students!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

If teaching is so stressful, then maybe they should start drinking on the job like a normal person!

So you don't have any arguement then only to call me a begrudger

If you are a teacher and that is the best you can come up with then god help the youth of today

But i'm not a teacher. Do you think for a minute that i'd put up with the stuff that's thrown at them everyday ? No way, i'd clock the wee git and end up sacked.
    No way would I take a job like that. You have to be cut out for that and i'm not.

And who's giving out about the trainee accountants and solicitors?

Nobody - but are playing the sob story on young/new teachers - i am merely pointing out that so called well paid profession pay there new members less than teachers

Nobody - but are playing the sob story on young/new teachers - i am merely pointing out that so called well paid profession pay there new members less than teachers
    Never played any sob story, just pointing out incorrect figures of secondary teachers starting on 30,000.

I never said it was cushy, it certainly isn't at times. Also, I wouldn't choose a career because of its perceived cushy-ness.

Teaching is far from cushy just cause teachers have shorter working hours and holidays doesn't mean its cushy, its a hard and rewarding job as much as any other. It means teachers get back what they give in if a child accomplishes something and excels or overcomes something difficult in a subject. The novelty of helping a child achieve that no matter how bright/average they are or if they have a learning difficulty, means something to teachers and students alike!

If someone has the personality for teaching and the strength and willpower for it and want and like and good at teaching then they will cope with the stress of the job. If it means they can teach and engage with a child to help them learn its better than nothing. Teaching can make a difference to a child's life! It can go a long way for a child's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

poor dears. How much could they potentially earn after 20 years qualified? Swings an roundabouts....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We all went to school so it's the one job that you should know what to expect. My school was tough and so were a lot of the students and this would be like many schools in the country so anyone wanting to become a teacher must have had an idea what they were getting themselves into.
    One of my exes was a teacher and granted she was full time but I know what she was making and it was good money for the hours that had to be worked.
    I see some people on here saying that anyone who comments on teachers salaries should try it themselves. Well it works both ways, if you lot think we have it so easy in the private sector and you feel hard done by in your job then change over and see what you think of things then.

Never played any sob story, just pointing out incorrect figures of secondary teachers starting on 30,000.

Since when does a new teacher start on point 1 of the scale??

It is nearly impossible to start on point 1 of the scale

Point 3 on the new teachers since Jan 2011 is €29,737 - so 30k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

gurramok wrote: »
    If a teacher cannot control a class, they are a bad teacher. Good teachers who earn their keep can control a class and teach, we all had both types in school.

You clearly never went to a bad school.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement