Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers and their summer holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Teachers,second only to farmers, are people tell you how hard their job is when you complain about them

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We all went to school so it's the one job that you should know what to expect. My school was tough and so were a lot of the students and this would be like many schools in the country so anyone wanting to become a teacher must have had an idea what they were getting themselves into.
    One of my exes was a teacher and granted she was full time but I know what she was making and it was good money for the hours that had to be worked.
    I see some people on here saying that anyone who comments on teachers salaries should try it themselves. Well it works both ways, if you lot think we have it so easy in the private sector and you feel hard done by in your job then change over and see what you think of things then.

I work in the Private Sector and have it easy enough for very good money.
    I previously worked in the Public Sector (many years ago) for good enough money too but but not half the job satisfaction.
    It's swings and roundabouts. There are knaves in the Private Sector just like there are knaves in the Public Sector. There is good money in some parts of each sector and bad in other parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

And most secondary schools aren't too bad in terms of behaviour

Jaysus, what secondary schools are you talking about:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

teachers do more than 22 hours a week.... more often than not they take work home with them such as correcting exams and preparing lessons for the week

So... they do 40 hours a week? That sounds really tough, man, how do they do it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

If you look at the number of politicians who are teachers and the number of GAA county managers who are teachers it is obvious that the reason for this is that they have an abundance of spare time for their other activities. they can jon apolitical party and become a cumann secretary and similarly with any organisation that they join. As for planning and correction, most teachers doing the job for a few years know their plan. When I was at school any correction was done in class. hardly any teacher ever took away work to correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Since when does a new teacher start on point 1 of the scale??

It is nearly impossible to start on point 1 of the scale

Point 3 on the new teachers since Jan 2011 is €29,737 - so 30k

You are taking it to be that these figures you are getting from the asti website are the case for all teachers. It is not nearly impossible to start on a salary less than this. I'm pretty sick and tired of people going on about cushy wages for teachers. I've been teaching for 6 years, secondary school, don't have full hours and earn little over 300 euro a week. I have a mortgage, bills, kids etc like the rest of ye.

Now I'm not trying to give a 'sob story', I like my job, I knew what I was getting into and I wouldn't begrudge any other profession any aspect of their job but for God's sake get real and stop quoting facts and figures that have nothing to do with the reality of teaching and maybe apply to those near retirement. If you think that targeting teachers alone is going to change the state of this country in any way, shape or form then I despair, I really do.

But, I have come across this attitude only too often and in my experience people who bash teachers will continue to do so no matter what we, as teachers, say and God forbid we try and defend ourselves!

Ah but sure at least we have these great holidays :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Milk and Honey, times have moved on. You can't use the same schemes of work year in year out, no two classes are the same.Schools have seen huge changes in the last decade alone. Now schools may have to to 1/3 or more children who do not have English as a first language. Many children do not have a stable home life and are doing well to get into school, never mind do homework. Children that would once have been in special schools are now educated in the local school, but support for them is woefully lacking.All of this must be taken into consideration when planning any scheme of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

gagiteebo wrote: »
    You are taking it to be that these figures you are getting from the asti website are the case for all teachers. It is not nearly impossible to start on a salary less than this. I'm pretty sick and tired of people going on about cushy wages for teachers. I've been teaching for 6 years, secondary school, don't have full hours and earn little over 300 euro a week. I have a mortgage, bills, kids etc like the rest of ye.

Now I'm not trying to give a 'sob story', I like my job, I knew what I was getting into and I wouldn't begrudge any other profession any aspect of their job but for God's sake get real and stop quoting facts and figures that have nothing to do with the reality of teaching and maybe apply to those near retirement. If you think that targeting teachers alone is going to change the state of this country in any way, shape or form then I despair, I really do.

But, I have come across this attitude only too often and in my experience people who bash teachers will continue to do so no matter what we, as teachers, say and God forbid we try and defend ourselves!

Ah but sure at least we have these great holidays :rolleyes:

your kids and mortgage are irrelevant to this debate although why you have a mortgage without a full time job is beyond me - if the missus has a good job fair enough - even more reason the mortgage and kids shouldn't be in this debate

We are spending well in excess of 2 billion a year on teachers salaries - they are at least 33% overpaid IMO - we should be saving ourselves at least 500 or 600 million on their salary - allowing for fall in tax we should should be saving 350-400 million to the exchequer

People seem to have forgetten this country is stone broke - 100% broke - and these high public sector salaries are now being funded by other countries - time to call a halt to the ridiculous salaries and get this country back working again

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

and what the hell do you think trainee accountant or solicitors are earning??

Let me tell you less and 17,699 and they are working a full bloody week to get it - not 14 hours

But they're not trainees, they're fully qualified and deserve to be paid as such. They already did their year of free labour when they did the Dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

your kids and mortgage are irrelevant to this debate although why you have a mortgage without a full time job is beyond me - if the missus has a good job fair enough - even more reason the mortgage and kids shouldn't be in this debate

We are spending well in excess of 2 billion a year on teachers salaries - they are at least 33% overpaid IMO - we should be saving ourselves at least 500 or 600 million on their salary - allowing for fall in tax we should should be saving 350-400 million to the exchequer

People seem to have forgetten this country is stone broke - 100% broke - and these high public sector salaries are now being funded by other countries - time to call a halt to the ridiculous salaries and get this country back working again

I think you need to have a lie down somewhere dark...

• Advertisement

Milk and Honey, times have moved on. You can't use the same schemes of work year in year out, no two classes are the same.Schools have seen huge changes in the last decade alone. Now schools may have to to 1/3 or more children who do not have English as a first language. Many children do not have a stable home life and are doing well to get into school, never mind do homework. Children that would once have been in special schools are now educated in the local school, but support for them is woefully lacking.All of this must be taken into consideration when planning any scheme of work.

Yet for the last decade some classrooms have nearly had as many special needs assistants in them as pupils

We won't even go into the dramitic decline in the standards of teaching in this country in the past decade - particularly in science and maths

And yet the wages went through the roof - the facilities improved - the teachers got way more support???

Bobsammy wrote: »
    But they're not trainees, they're fully qualified and deserve to be paid as such. They already did their year of free labour when they did the Dip.

They are no more trained that trainee accountants or solicitors who will also usually have a 4 year degree and a masters and maybe more

The dip counts as a year on their scale so they start higher on it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Just started my three months of freedom.

*stretches*

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

They are no more trained that trainee accountants or solicitors who will also usually have a 4 year degree and a masters and maybe more

The dip counts as a year on their scale so they start higher on it

No it doesn't. Since last year every new entrant to the profession starts on point 1 of the new salary scale.

Bobsammy wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Since last year every new entrant to the profession starts on point 1 of the new salary scale.

Ok apologies - didn't realise the change

But prior to last year the dip did count and nearly every teachers started on point 3

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Jester252 wrote: »
    Teachers,second only to farmers, are people tell you how hard their job is when you complain about them

How many professions have you 'complained about'?

How many regular threads on this forum are devoted entirely to complains about mechanics, shop assistants, solicitors, accountants, hair stylist?

I didn't ask for your opinion on whether or not I should have a mortgage and I'm quite capable of paying it. I am the missus in this sceanrio and with all due respect I feel what I have said to be very relevant.

Keep quoting as many figures as you like, they will do nothing to hide your ignorance of the reality of teaching. You sir, seem to have a major chip on your shoulder about teachers and as I said earlier there is absolutely no point in trying to reason with you and I've no desire to try to do so with someone who can only see one side of things. I am well aware of the state of this country. 'Call a halt to the ridiculous salaries' Lol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yet for the last decade some classrooms have nearly had as many special needs assistants in them as pupils

We won't even go into the dramitic decline in the standards of teaching in this country in the past decade - particularly in science and maths

And yet the wages went through the roof - the facilities improved - the teachers got way more support???
    Don't know about any school you know, but we have 2 SNAs to nearly 500 kids.Facilities improved in a few schools, many still languish in prefabs and/or rooms not suited to the revised curriculum.

gagiteebo wrote: »
    I didn't ask for your opinion on whether or not I should have a mortgage and I'm quite capable of paying it. I am the missus in this sceanrio and with all due respect I feel what I have said to be very relevant.

Keep quoting as many figures as you like, they will do nothing to hide your ignorance of the reality of teaching. You sir, seem to have a major chip on your shoulder about teachers and as I said earlier there is absolutely no point in trying to reason with you and I've no desire to try to do so with someone who can only see one side of things. I am well aware of the state of this country. 'Call a halt to the ridiculous salaries' Lol.

I am well aware of the reality of teaching - i see it every single day

And they are taking the country for an absolute ride - but i call a spade a spade and get called a begrudger and having a chip on my shoulder

NOBODY can justify a teachers salary and benefits for the work they do - especially secondary teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well now that just seems "makey-uppy" Did I not read for many moons that the S.N.A.'s have been halved or maybe even worse.
    Maybe you could provide proof that there are "as many special needs assistants as pupils" in those classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

and what the hell do you think trainee accountant or solicitors are earning??

Let me tell you less and 17,699 and they are working a full bloody week to get it - not 14 hours

I hate this trainee accountant comparison. Those accountants are trainees still doing exams and get time off to study for them. Teachers are fully qualified professionals. Once the accountant is qualified their salary increases significantly.

Most teachers are in college for around 5 years (BA MA PDE) presently in order to be attractive to employers.

I am well aware of the reality of teaching - i see it every single day

And they are taking the country for an absolute ride - but i call a spade a spade and get called a begrudger and having a chip on my shoulder

NOBODY can justify a teachers salary and benefits for the work they do - especially secondary teachers

Great, glad we got that sorted.

Good luck to you.

Well now that just seems "makey-uppy" Did I not read for many moons that the S.N.A.'s have been halved or maybe even worse.
    Maybe you could provide proof that there are "as many special needs assistants as pupils" in those classes.

Special needs assistant hardly existed as a job about 15 years ago - to clarify there were only 300 in the entire country in 1997

There was about 10,800 special needs assistants a couple of years ago - this was supposed to be cut by a couple of hundred in the last year or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I was in America for a summer a few years ago while in college.

Meself and me friends worked hard for the summer to fund the sessions.

But there was 5 teachers with us who didn't need to work a day because they had their wages coming in to their accounts every two weeks.

Some life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

What is this absolute gobshittery??!!
    That statement was a joke yeah???!

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I hate this trainee accountant comparison. Those accountants are trainees still doing exams and get time off to study for them. Teachers are fully qualified professionals. Once the accountant is qualified their salary increases significantly.

Most teachers are in college for around 5 years (BA MA PDE) presently in order to be attractive to employers.

So the trainee accountant that is working at least a 40 hour week - (ok they get some study leave which is nowhere near comparable to a teachers holidays) - has to come home from work every night and study

Your right they aren't comparable - the accountant is doing about twice as much as the teacher

What is this absolute gobshittery??!!
    That statement was a joke yeah???!

Obviously not factually correct - merely to highlight the dramatic increase in SNE's in the last decade or so

300 in 1997
    10,800 in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Obviously not factually correct - merely to highlight the dramatic increase in SNE's in the last decade or so

300 in 1997
    10,800 in 2011

The massive declines started 4 years ago, not last year.
    It is near impossible for any special needs child to get one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 K1300GT

Half of all statistics are just made up. 73% of people know that.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    I was in America for a summer a few years ago while in college.

Meself and me friends worked hard for the summer to fund the sessions.

But there was 5 teachers with us who didn't need to work a day because they had their wages coming in to their accounts every two weeks.

Some life!!

You feel hard done by because you had to work hard to fund sessions? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement