Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers and their summer holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Secondary School teachers get it unbelievably easy, not only to they get 3 months off, they get Mid terms, Christmas, Easter etc....Secondary school is only like 170 days of a year..And most secondary schools aren't too bad in terms of behaviour, especially with senior students who want to do well..

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Teachers wages are calculated on a 10 month wage (approx), which is then paid over 12 months. So teacher are not actually paid for the summer, but they do get money into their account over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hope i have the right figures here

Secondary school teacher starts off on €30,900

35 weeks 22 hours

€40.00 per hour

after 25 years €59,000

35 weeks 22 hours

€76.00 per hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Call centre - 12.00 per hour if you lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Agricola wrote: »
    ... It's not coal mining!

its not far off.

my mrs is a primary school teacher, she has 39 kids from 2 different school years in her class, 7 of whom have SEN's. she is the SEN coordinator for the school, she is current 'backstopping' for the NQT in the classroom next door - this means she's doing all the fcuktards planning, and checking all her marking.

most of the time her packed lunch returns unopened, and 3 days out of 5 she will get home at 5pm having not had a chance to have a piss since she walked in at 7.45am. two nights a week she won't be home till 6.30, and when she has parents evening she won't get a break between finishing teaching at 3.15 and the last parent leaving at 9.30.

she almost never has less than an hours work to do in the evening, on most nights it will be about 90 mins, and on some - like now, its 2 to 3 hours every single night - she will spend about 2 hours working every saturday morning, and in celebration of our half term next week, she has booked 3 full days of report writing. 39 kids, eight subjects each - and then check, and re-write, all the work of the fcuktard next door.

my wife has to deal with 9 yo children who have not been toilet trained, been kicked in the stomach while pregnant, launched at by a mong parent when my wife said that all the things the parent said the child can't do, the child can do. like getting dressed on their own. she has also had 'hore' scratched into her car paintwork. probably by the same mong.

of the six weeks she gets off in the summer, one of them will be planning for the next academic year.

any volunteers?

• Advertisement

People have to get it into their heads that a teachers pay is spread out over the year, but in reality they are really only getting paid for the hours they work, they could treble their pay during the year and not pay them for the summer which would probably annoy people as they would be looking at their hourly wage and complaining while totally forgetting they are not paid all year round.

Pay for teaching is not great, despite what some begrudgers think, its probably the most reason that its unlikely I will end up teaching in a secondary school in the future. Its a very hard job, much harder than its given credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

As soon as I seen the thread title I just said out loud "again, would yous ever just **** off."

Teachers don't get 3 months holidays, they are unemployed for 3 months, they don't get paid for it. Teachers don't get ANY paid time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

If no students fail exams couldn't the teachers be sent to Africa as part of Irish educational aid.

Why shouldn't African children get summer holidays too?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A mate of mine is a teacher and he delights in telling us that the longest stretch he works is 6 weeks. God bless mid term.

More power to them.

I have more of a problem with our elected representives taking as many holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

there shouldn't be 3 months school holiday - end of story. It's a massive headache and expense for parents, times have changed and the school calender needs to change with them. Teachers unions are the main force standing in the way of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

teachers do more than 22 hours a week.... more often than not they take work home with them such as correcting exams and preparing lessons for the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

People have to get it into their heads that a teachers pay is spread out over the year, but in reality they are really only getting paid for the hours they work, they could treble their pay during the year and not pay them for the summer which would probably annoy people as they would be looking at their hourly wage and complaining while totally forgetting they are not paid all year round.

Pay for teaching is not great, despite what some begrudgers think, its probably the most reason that its unlikely I will end up teaching in a secondary school in the future. Its a very hard job, much harder than its given credit.

you really are in cloud cuckoo land if you think teachers aren't well paid

A 35 year old married couple who are secondary teachers will have an income of about 114k BEFORE any A or B posts. They each teach for 22 hours a week for 35 weeks of the year and get paid 114k for this

Wake up for the love of god

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    As soon as I seen the thread title I just said out loud "again, would yous ever just **** off."

Teachers don't get 3 months holidays, they are unemployed for 3 months, they don't get paid for it. Teachers don't get ANY paid time off.

What planet are you on??

They get paid every fortnight in June july and august - the same as every fortnight in september, october and november

Tipp Man wrote: »
    What planet are you on??

They get paid every fortnight in June july and august - the same as every fortnight in september, october and november

they get paid monthly now

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, if I had to deal with a group of kids for 9 months I'd need a year to recharge my batteries after.
    I get a feeling that most teacher bashers here would not have a single day of teaching behind them.

teachers do more than 22 hours a week.... more often than not they take work home with them such as correcting exams and preparing lessons for the week

try spreading 22 hours out over a 5 day week and see how much spare time you really have

22 hours is not a whole lot more than half of what most people are doing

you really are in cloud cuckoo land if you think teachers aren't well paid

A 35 year old married couple who are secondary teachers will have an income of about 114k BEFORE any A or B posts. They each teach for 22 hours a week for 35 weeks of the year and get paid 114k for this

Wake up for the love of god

very few teachers earn top rate salaries... those days are long gone... its the same right across the public sector...those on frontline took 1/3 pay cut.... its only the top civil servants and politicians that are creaming it

also teaching can be a very stressful job.... you try look after 35 - 40 kids a day... it is not as easy as it sounds

very few teachers earn top rate salaries... those days are long gone

What i quoted to you is what every 35 year old couple who are secondary teachers should be earning - some could earn a fair bit more depending on posts

Don't believe me?? try looking here http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scale/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-prior-to-january-2011/

What i quoted to you is what every 35 year old couple who are secondary teachers should be earning - some could earn a fair bit more depending on posts

Don't believe me?? try looking here http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scale/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-prior-to-january-2011/

deduct taxes, and insurence, from that and how much is left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

biko wrote: »
    Tbh, if I had to deal with a group of kids for 9 months I'd need a year to recharge my batteries after.
    I get a feeling that most teacher bashers here would not have a single day of teaching behind them.

If a teacher cannot control a class, they are a bad teacher. Good teachers who earn their keep can control a class and teach, we all had both types in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not in tomorrow, so I'm off till September! Woop woop!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Most of the teachers I know spend as much time working out of the classroom as they do in it. Preparing lessons, correcting work etc. all takes time. So judging the job by the amount of time you actually spend teaching is quite inaccurate.

deduct taxes, and insurence, from that and how much is left?

That is quite frankly a ridiculous arguement

Everybody earning is paying taxes - You don't honestly think people talk about Net Pay when they talk salary??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Most of the teachers I know spend as much time working out of the classroom as they do in it. Preparing lessons, correcting work etc. all takes time. So judging the job by the amount of time you actually spend teaching is quite inaccurate.
    Very true, despite the flippant tone of my earlier post. I won't be doing nothing till September. I'll be spending the summer working as a care assistant. Will do the same at Xmas and Easter. Because ever though I love teaching, I don't make enough at it to live on...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

22 hour working week for a teacher? Don't make me laugh.

It has already been mentioned, but I feel I need to reiterate. Some people scoff at the idea of planning, but you can be damn sure any teacher worth his or her salt will prepare for any lesson. Marking (good marking at that, not what some people say 'just a few ticks on a page') also takes up a good bit of the evening.

A lot of teachers train and coach sports teams, are involved in school plays, involved in Transition Year projects etc. that is not included in your 22 hours.

All the above are designed to enrich the school and the community. Take them away and you have a very different type of young person.

So don't give me any of this 'all the work is 22 hours a week' nonsense, you are talking rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Hope i have the right figures here

Secondary school teacher starts off on €30,900

35 weeks 22 hours

€40.00 per hour

after 25 years €59,000

35 weeks 22 hours

€76.00 per hour

Do you think the work stops the second the kids leave the classroom?

I'm training to be a science teacher and I've spent lunch breaks setting up labs, come in half an hour early to set up labs, stayed late to clean.
    I have to make time for talking/communication with other teacher in an official capacity. I have to develop resources for my lessons. I have to design tests and homework and ensure solutions are accessible. I have to mark tests and homework. I have to plan schemes of work, lesson plans and a MILLION other things.

22 hours?? No. 22 PAID* hours.

At least 50 hours a week work is done by dedicated teachers. At LEAST.

*as a trainee I don't get paid a ****ing penny btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I wonder how secondary teachers in England manage at all so when they have "only" 6 weeks summer holidays and a host of paperwork for the school and department that would make an Irish teacher faint if they saw it
    They dont, really. England has the highest rate of dropout teachers in the EU because conditions, as you so rightly point out, are horrendous. Regardless, hasnt there been a million threads on this before? Mods? :p

22 hour working week for a teacher? Don't make me laugh.

It has already been mentioned, but I feel I need to reiterate. Some people scoff at the idea of planning, but you can be damn sure any teacher worth his or her salt will prepare for any lesson. Marking (good marking at that, not what some people say 'just a few ticks on a page') also takes up a good bit of the evening.

A lot of teachers train and coach sports teams, are involved in school plays, involved in Transition Year projects etc. that is not included in your 22 hours.

All the above are designed to enrich the school and the community. Take them away and you have a very different type of young person.

So don't give me any of this 'all the work is 22 hours a week' nonsense, you are talking rubbish

the most basic of office jobs nowadays is a 37.5 hour week - that leaves a teacher with 15.5 hours EVERY week to do all this community and school enrichment. that's a whole lotta enrichment

and when they are travelling half the country to matches don't forget that they aren't in the classroom teaching

They dont, really. England has the highest rate of dropout teachers in the EU because conditions, as you so rightly point out, are horrendous. Regardless, hasnt there been a million threads on this before? Mods? :p

The pressure on teachers in the UK is many many times more than it is on teachers in Ireland - and they get paid a whole lot less and have about half the summer holidays - yet we are the country that is in a bailout with the IMF (although UK not a whole lot better admittedly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The pressure on teachers in the UK is many many times more than it is on teachers in Ireland - and they get paid a whole lot less and have about half the summer holidays - yet we are the country that is in a bailout with the IMF (although UK not a whole lot better admittedly)

Prove it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement