Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You must really suck at your job if you can't port a Gamecube game across to the PC. It's apparently a total mess, and i'm definitely not buying it in it's current state. Shame really, as it's supposed to be a pretty good game.

Someone dug out code from the Final Fantasy XV site to say it was going to be released on the pc as well. Would be great to see, though i'll believe it when i see it. Probably just a placeholder.

CaOGfNlUYAA2U6U.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Kiith wrote: »
    You must really suck at your job if you can't port a Gamecube game across to the PC. It's apparently a total mess, and i'm definitely not buying it in it's current state. Shame really, as it's supposed to be a pretty good game.

Someone dug out code from the Final Fantasy XV site to say it was going to be released on the pc as well. Would be great to see, though i'll believe it when i see it. Probably just a placeholder.

CaOGfNlUYAA2U6U.jpg:large
    It's more likely that it is a port of the PS3 version, which could be a reason for how poor it is as it would be a port of a port. Still doesn't excuse them for releasing it in that state.

Just received my early access code for the Bravely Second demo. Guess what I'll be playing later :D.

Bit crappy that they have messed with some of the jobs in the western release such as changing the Native American Tomahawk job to the cowboy themed Hawkeye.

Also disappointed that they translated Cat Master to Catmancer instead of the puntastic Nekomancer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS3 port of Symphonia was a joke as well. It ran at 30 fps while the original was a solid 60 fps on Gamecube.

As for FF15 coming to PC, I'd say it's a given especially considering it's being developed on a PC and the PC architecture of the new consoles. Square have been very good with porting their games to PC and after a few ho hum ports their latest ports like FF13-3 have been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/40-minutes-valkyria-azure-revolution-battle-demo-gameplay-screenshots

40 minutes of gameplay of Valkyria Azure Revolution, still dunno what to make of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sieghardt wrote: »
    http://gematsu.com/2016/02/40-minutes-valkyria-azure-revolution-battle-demo-gameplay-screenshots

40 minutes of gameplay of Valkyria Azure Revolution, still dunno what to make of it

It looks like a terrible Tales game :(:(:(

Any word on a release date for Final Fantasy 9 on steam? Been out a week on iOS and Android :(

Wonder what the chances of getting a current gen console port are , slim I guess :confused:

Any word on a release date for Final Fantasy 9 on steam? Been out a week on iOS and Android :(

Wonder what the chances of getting a current gen console port are , slim I guess :confused:

I would say a PS4 version xan't be ruled out atm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Aye would be a very simple port to current gen considering the architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It was meant to be January, then they changed it to early 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Can't really disagree with this article on Fire Emblem

http://www.gamesradar.com/where-to-start-fire-emblem/

Might be handy for someone who fancies trying the upcoming 3DS game(s) but hasn't played one before.

On the other hand (and more appropriate to this forum) if you've played all of the EU Fire Emblem's I'd recommend getting the fan translation of Thracia 776

Still waiting on the EU special edition of Fire Emblem to be dated.

Same here. Missed the US one and the prices are stupid now.

Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers is getting an english release in asia and ESRB ratings hint that it might be getting a full western release too

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/super-robot-wars-og-moon-dwellers-ps4-english-version-announced-asia

• Registered Users Posts: 26,276 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Could someone recommend a PSP Jrpg?

I have ff4 but didn't get it completed.

Loved Jeanne Darc but felt it was a bit of a struggle to get FF tactics completed.

I have tactic ogre unopened but that sounds really daunting from what I read.

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Top_20_PSP_RPGs/index2.html

Was reading this for guidance. Should point out I played persona three on Ps2 before.

Trails in the Sky is awesome. It can be slow moving but it's pretty much the best example of an old school RPG. The story is a real gut wrenches as well.

Tactics Ogre is pretty much FF Tactics but better. If you found Tactics tough to get through then this is similar.

The Ys games are awesome action RPGs that I'd highly recommend. Oath in felghana would be the best imo.

I really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles 2 even if the story was unbelievably dumb. It's a very long game though.

Brandish was only released last year but it's a fantastic action RPG and one of the best games on the system. Don't let how weird the gameplay looks put you off.

Valkyrie Profile is one of the all time classic RPGs. Worth playing but be warned, the PSP port is very poor, adding a blur filter and stretching the aspect ratio which ruins the gorgeous original 2D artwork.

Thanks Retro.

I'll give trails in the sky a shot.

Played VC2 alright. Enjoyable enough but long and the story, even taking into account it was a VC game, lacked the occasional serious moments the original had.

Trails requires a bit of investment. It takes a long time to get going and most of the charm is talking to everyone after every major plot point and getting side quests. I'd say stick with it but it might not be for everyone.

If you want something easier to get into then maybe Ys is a better choice, although I do still love Trails.

OK. Scratch that. 28 euro on the ps store.

I was kind of expecting it to be 5-10 by now!

Would Ys seven or the oath be a better starting point?

(both are just a tenner so far more palatable for a try than 30 euro trails).

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    OK. Scratch that. 28 euro on the ps store.

I was kind of expecting it to be 5-10 by now!

Yeah, bit odd that Trails in the Sky is more expensive than Second Chapter.

Would Ys seven or the oath be a better starting point?

(both are just a tenner so far more palatable for a try than 30 euro trails).

Trails is on sale a lot so I'd wait for a sale.

You can't go wrong with oath or seven but I prefer oath. I wouldn't worry about the story, you play Ys for the insanely fast combat and they are usually quite light on story and heavy on cliche and silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Anyone know of any time-based RPG's released in the past year, or yet to be released? Something along the lines of Final Fantasy gameplay.

Anyone know of any time-based RPG's released in the past year, or yet to be released? Something along the lines of Final Fantasy gameplay.

If you mean Real Time RPGs :

Dragon Quest Heroes
    Bloodborne
    Tales of Zestiria
    Xenoblade Chronicles X

Final Fantasy XV
    Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
    Odin Sphere
    Project Setsuna
    Ni-Oh

There are more on the horizon, but they may not be released by the years end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Thanks for the reply. I should have added that I only have PS3/4 to play it on. I mean gameplay where there is a timer. Examples like Final Fantasy X/Ni No Kuni, where each person has their own time to take their go, or Final Fantasy XII where you could move wherever you like, but your actions are again still on a timer. Maybe there's an abbreviation for this kind of gameplay?

I generally dislike action RPG's. One of the reasons I'm not looking forward to FF15.

The Atelier games might fit the bill for you. The latest Atelier Shallie is far more traditional than the rest of the series. However I'd start with the beginning of the trilogy, atelier Ayesha and atelier escha and loft are superb.

Lost Dimension is probably worth a look as well. More Strategy RPG but a really good fast paced one.

I think you are looking for turn based games with a turn order.

playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth at the moment. It's actually extremely good. It feels more like Persona and SMT than like Pokemon to be honest

Story doesnt really start until chapter 4 (out of 20) but it starts getting good from there, worth checking out if you'd stick with it

If you want traditional turn based I recommend Trails of Cold Steel, Ar Nosurge and Lost Dimension
    Could someone recommend a PSP Jrpg?

Going to second Trails in the Sky, it's an utterly amazing game, really detailed and heartfelt
    I'd also recommend Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, not my favourite version of Lunar but if you havent played Lunar it's worth a shot
    Mana Khemia is also excellent but be sure to download it instead of getting it physical, the umd version has loading problems that the download version largely alleviates.

I really didn't enjoy Lunar Silver Star Harmony. The battle system just bogged everything down. I think the Mega CD version is still the best way to play it, the PS1 version is good but almost ruined by the obnoxious difficulty increase Working Designs put into the western release.

It's definitely one of the weaker versions of the game, personally I hate what they did to the songs But it's still a beautiful charming adventure at its core and well worth playing

• Advertisement

NiS America announced today that Criminal Girls 2 and Psycho;Pass : Mandatory Happiness are coming west later this year.

Advertisement