Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yeah, seems Nintendo are really being scabby with SE units as usual. France only getting 7000 units total apparently.

Bit odd that Amazon have it in the UK and not the usual Game/Nintendo store combo.

This crap pleases no one but the scalpers :(

I would say it is less than 7K, fnac.fr just sold out in less than a minute of offering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Xenji wrote: »
    I would say it is less than 7K, fnac.fr just sold out in less than a minute of offering them.

Its apparently 7k with Micromania having the highest individual allocation of 1.4k units according to French news sites. They also state there will be 40k copies of both versions of the standard edition available.

Its apparently 7k with Micromania having the highest individual allocation of 1.4k units according to French news sites. They also state there will be 40k copies of both versions of the standard edition available.

I would not trust Micromania, they have been taking pre orders of Majora's Mask LE for weeks now and cancelled a load this week, they have had pre orders up for Fire Emblem nearly 3 weeks now.

The digital route will work out around at €80, €40 for one game and €20 for each additional route.

I would not trust Micromania, they have been taking pre orders of Majora's Mask LE for weeks now and cancelled a load this week, they have had pre orders up for Fire Emblem nearly 3 weeks now.

The digital route will work out around at €80, €40 for one game and €20 for each additional route.

I wouldn't trust them either. Apparently yhey were looking for a €50 deposit for the SE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting really sick of how rare this SE is. I've a 3 hour drive home and I'll punch some one if it goes on sale during that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The characters really set it apart. Estelle might just be up there with my favourite videogame character of all time and all the rest are excellent thanks to some great writing and dialogue

Are you mental?

Some of the stuff. In modern games you criticise but then you say something off the wall like that about Estelle?

I'm only at act two but she's a spoiled, shallow stereotype of a teenager.

Maybe you just like kooky, unrealistic Jrpg stereotypes??

I don't mean this to sound as hostile as it probably does!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The characters in the Trails games are universally acclaimed. Estelle and Joshua in particular. They are total subversions on the JRPG gender roles with Estelle as the hot headed, passionate yet naive role usually played by males and Joshua the aloof world weary type usually played by female characters.

I wouldn't call Estelle shallow. She's very naive and not world weary at all because she is a total country bumpkin. She doesn't know anything of the world because she never really left her rural homestead. Throughout the two games she really grows into a much better person and its that character progression that really makes her so good. Even at the start I like her, she's a heart of gold beneath that tough exterior.

Also her naivety has caused me a good few belly laughs and I just love her frowny face when she's being a bit thick.

f6302d8517829d313348b942bf962a44ceb359bc_full.jpg

I just find the characters quite relatable and believable than the silly overwrought angst or the usual square Enix fair. I'll be interested in what you think by the end and into SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Trails in the Sky 3rd and Trails of Cold Steel confirmed for English release. Seems Sky 3rd will only be released on PC.

To celebrate Trails FC and SC are discounted by 50 and 30% respectively on Steam for the next week.

Edit: also discounted on psn by 50 and 33%.

Was trying to find Trails SC on PSN, any chance of a link? I can't find it at all

RedXIV wrote: »
    Was trying to find Trails SC on PSN, any chance of a link? I can't find it at all

Here you are. https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ie/games/legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-sc/cid=EP1023-NPEH00166_00-TRAILSINTHESKYSC

Fire Emblem SE live on amazon.de works out at €98 Go. Go. Go

Not good as might get scraped, but €5 off amazon de voucher. First come first serve WGDF-QQ577M-NH2FGK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Y'know, **** the special edition. I wanted it to try the two games, but at the price it's going for and the preposterous manufactured rarity of it... No thanks. Will just buy Conquest and download the other one for half price (and the third if I'm really sucked in). I'd have loved if they just released a slightly premium priced cart with the two main games on it - same price as downloading them or something. But there's no savings to be made by buying the special edition, and have no interest in the superfluous junk that comes with it.

Fire Emblem SE live on amazon.de works out at €98 Go. Go. Go

Not good as might get scraped, but €5 off amazon de voucher. First come first serve WGDF-QQ577M-NH2FGK

Gone in less than 10 minutes. Missed it again. I'm getting very pissed off with this manufactured rarity bull****.

Weird, as I finished that I tried again and it worked and got one ordered. I hope it's not in German!

Weird, as I finished that I tried again and it worked and got one ordered. I hope it's not in German!

Its in English. All Nintendo published games are in English, French, German, Spanish and Italian. Plus the packaging has the French, German and PEGI ratings on it.

Able to use the €5 voucher or had someone already used it/scraped it?

Sorry about doing it that way, but with it being so time sensitive again I replied to a pm it could have been gone.

Preorders are still available on amazon.de if anyone is looking.

Edit: Aaaannnddd they're gone.

I wasn't even going to chance typing in a code and missing out. It was one click order all the way but thanks anyway for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Estelle isnt a great character because she avoids tropes or subverts gender roles, she's great because she's written like a person. Trails isnt good because it avoids tropes, it's full of them, it's great because of the quality of writing, character development & world building.

Stick with it, Estelle not only grows as a person but you can really feel how her growth is tied to events that happen & her relationships with other characters.

I wasn't even going to chance typing in a code and missing out. It was one click order all the way but thanks anyway for the heads up!

Np. Good timing on the voucher code though. Got that and a €10 code(which I used on FE) during the week in an email. They expire next week. My order ended up at €88 which isn't bad.

Knowing my luck GameStop will put it up with a ridiculous price then drop it to what amazon are selling it at a week before like they did with the Bravely Second CE. They have the standard editions listed at €70 each atm :pac:

Np. Good timing on the voucher code though. Got that and a €10 code(which I used on FE) during the week in an email. They expire next week. My order ended up at €88 which isn't bad.

Knowing my luck GameStop will put it up with a ridiculous price then drop it to what amazon are selling it at a week before like they did with the Bravely Second CE. They have the standard editions listed at €70 each atm :pac:

Got mine for €82 on Amazon.fr yesterday, 3 times it came up, each time it sold out in under a minute, only got it as I had Visualping set up on all the Amazon sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Last Trails question, I promise!

Getting settled into the idea of starting a new RPG, just wondering, is there any differences in the PC and PSP versions? I'm more likely to play the PSP versions but the PC versions are currently half the price of the others?

Thoughts?

Getting settled into the idea of starting a new RPG, just wondering, is there any differences in the PC and PSP versions? I'm more likely to play the PSP versions but the PC versions are currently half the price of the others?

Thoughts?

Upto you. The PC versions end up €5 cheaper than the psp versions(due to fc being €15 on psn as opposed to €10 on Steam) until the prices go back up tomorrow. Just remember the third game will not be released on psn due to the imminent closure of the native psp store.

• Advertisement

Thoughts?

It's higher res on PC but other than that it's the same game. You won't be able to transfer your save to the third game but apparently what that adds is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Atelier Sophie announced for June 10th
    Physical & Digital release for PS4, Digital only for vita
    Dual audio

Cd1REqUW4AAJXlk.jpg

according to japanese players it found a reasonably decent middle ground between Arland and Dusk series

the alchemy system in it is pretty fun, it's slightly like weapon modification in resonance of fate or tank upgrades in Valkyria as you fit blocks of attributes together to customize stuff

If anyone is looking for the PC version of Valkyria Chronicles at a good price it is in the new Humble Sega Strategy Bundle. Shining Force 1 and 2 are also in the bundle. The rest of the games are RTS games except Eastside Hockey Manager, Columns and Gain Ground.

Seems the soundtrack to Shin Megami Tensei 4: Final is another cracker and already a contender for best of the year. Atlus's new composer on the smt4 games is just fantastic.

GameStop have their preorders up for the Fire Emblem SE, €120. Lol nope, typical GameStop. I remember they charged €80 above rrp for the Ghost edition of Destiny too, absolutely ludicrous pricing.

Rice Digital are having an Easter sale which contains some Jrpgs like Trails of Cold Steel PS3 for £20, Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold for £25, Tales of Zestiria PS3 for £15, Bravely Second for £25, Atelier Rorona, Totori and Meruru are under £10 with Rorona Plus at £20 and the Disgaia triple pack for £25.

http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/easter-sale?awc=6691_1458830591_2bb1f2eed1a5ba260e7d47a36c705ca9&utm_source=Affiliate_Window&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=80338&utm_content=Smarter+Click
    You can get a further 5% off using the code smart5

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The characters in the Trails games are universally acclaimed. Estelle and Joshua in particular. They are total subversions on the JRPG gender roles with Estelle as the hot headed, passionate yet naive role usually played by males and Joshua the aloof world weary type usually played by female characters.

I wouldn't call Estelle shallow. She's very naive and not world weary at all because she is a total country bumpkin. She doesn't know anything of the world because she never really left her rural homestead. Throughout the two games she really grows into a much better person and its that character progression that really makes her so good. Even at the start I like her, she's a heart of gold beneath that tough exterior.

Also her naivety has caused me a good few belly laughs and I just love her frowny face when she's being a bit thick.

f6302d8517829d313348b942bf962a44ceb359bc_full.jpg

I just find the characters quite relatable and believable than the silly overwrought angst or the usual square Enix fair. I'll be interested in what you think by the end and into SC.

On chapter three now.

I think it's very poorly paced. There are definitely intwresingtstoey developments but they are few and far between and there is an incredible amount of fetch questing or bland/tedious interactions with npcs in the meantime.

Definitely too much dialogue for a handheld as well imo.

Agate though. He is cool as fcuk.

The lack of grinding is a relief. There's no way I'd have been able for that and all the filler in between the more interesting main story developments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Okay, haven't really touched a JRPG since FF10 was released (I know, I know....).

BUT, I have a 3DS on the way, along with Bravely Default and Fire Emblem.

In the mean time, I'm got my hands on a PS Vita from a friend, along with Persona 3 and 4.

This is all down to randomly seeing an advert for Persona 5, and I liked the look of it.

Anything I should know about the series before plunging in?

sheep? wrote: »
    Okay, haven't really touched a JRPG since FF10 was released (I know, I know....).

BUT, I have a 3DS on the way, along with Bravely Default and Fire Emblem.

In the mean time, I'm got my hands on a PS Vita from a friend, along with Persona 3 and 4.

This is all down to randomly seeing an advert for Persona 5, and I liked the look of it.

Anything I should know about the series before plunging in?

Well firstly be prepared to be putting in about 100-125 hours of game time into each Persona game, also they are quite different from FF, combat takes place in dungeons and they are very dialogue heavy, although both have solid stories and a straightforward combat system.

The games do not really need much grinding especially if you just go with the normal difficulty, I would not recommend going expert on the first go as it may frustrate a first time player and put you off the game.

With both games, I found the second playthrough more enjoyable, there are plenty of things you can miss on the first playthrough and different choices you can make as regard relationships. If you do not plan on replaying the games, their are plenty of guides that will tell you what you can do and what you can miss on any given day, some days you will have muliple choices of who you spend your time with, but there is really no wrong way to play the game, you just get different endings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Well firstly be prepared to be putting in about 100-125 hours of game time into each Persona game, also they are quite different from FF, combat takes place in dungeons and they are very dialogue heavy, although both have solid stories and a straightforward combat system.

SOLD! :D

I've been at P3 for a wee bit now, and I'm liking it so far. The whole balancing school life with fighting threw me a little (asked questions by the teacher! Haha, I felt like I was properly back in school, deer in the headlights!). I like it though, I'm liking the whole concept.

Advertisement