Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Persona 3 and 4 are pretty much the best RPGs of the last 10 years. You can't go wrong with them. I'd say don't use a guide too much, maybe just how to unlock social links. You won't unlock everything on the first playthrough, but that is part of the fun so don't bother with trying to follow a guide religiously, you won't enjoy the game as much.

Some tips. First focus on social links. They mean you can summon demons that get xp boosts that can go above your current level and this can make huge difference. Secondly this is a shin megami Tensei game so the combat isn't simplistic likeFF where you can win most battles alternating between healing and combat. You'll encounter some really tough bosses but the main thing to remember is you don't need to grind to beat them. Stat buffs and debuffs are hugely important for boss fights and make a huge amount of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Oh man it's 4am and I love this game.

I haven't gone near a guide, but I will admit the whole social link mechanic threw me, especially when you get the persona cards added to the mix. Seems like there's a lot of fun to be had with this aspect.

I think I'm getting it though. It's hilarious battling shadows at night and then falling asleep in class, but then do I study, eat, or karaoke...? Brilliant.

I love the idea of the battle system, finding weaknesses and then BOOM exploit them. Those pink hands on level 10 had me until I figured out their weakness, the creepy little feckers.

Also, I think I'm beginning to see the repeatability of it. Which I definitely don't mind. I've completed the Witcher 3 three times, and will do it a fourth when the new DLC comes out. ^_^

Although, saying that, P3 has me gripped in one evening....Geralt may have to take a backseat!

Cheers for the help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Anyone else picking up Yoru no Nai Kuni, my limited edition has just been dispatched.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't realise it was out. It's Gust so definitely on my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I have the LE poreordered but it hasnt shipped yet, very excited to play it, I love Gust's usual games but this seems like a real experiment for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Xenji wrote: »
    Anyone else picking up Yoru no Nai Kuni, my limited edition has just been dispatched.

Just dont let your missus catch you with the poster :P

Overbearingly ecchi stylings aside, looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

penev10 wrote: »
    Just dont let your missus catch you with the poster :P

Overbearingly ecchi stylings aside, looks interesting.

Ah she does not mind, she watches and reads worse stuff than I do, she has a thing for fujoshi :eek:

There's a big FF15 release blow out tonight. I'd say lots of new FF15 based projects revealed and maybe more about FF7 remake. You'll have to stay up until 2:30am though. The release date will be announced although supposedly it's leaked already.

Edit: June 2016 release apparently. Hope it doesn't clash with Persona 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a big FF15 release blow out tonight. I'd say lots of new FF15 based projects revealed and maybe more about FF7 remake. You'll have to stay up until 2:30am though. The release date will be announced although supposedly it's leaked already.

IT's the release date for FF15 officially

I tried picking up Fire Emblem today, but Persona 3 and Iwatodai kept calling. I'm at the beginning of September.

I'm far too hooked on this game. :D absolutely ploughing through it.

I can see the value in replaying it, but what's the concencus here? Should I go back through it as the female protagonist? Or jump into 4 in preparation for 5?

• Advertisement

Star Ocean 5 is June 28th FFXV is September 30th

all I need is a date for Persona 5 and this year is amazing

sheep? wrote: »
    I tried picking up Fire Emblem today, but Persona 3 and Iwatodai kept calling. I'm at the beginning of September.

I'm far too hooked on this game. :D absolutely ploughing through it.

I can see the value in replaying it, but what's the concencus here? Should I go back through it as the female protagonist? Or jump into 4 in preparation for 5?

I'd actually take a break so you don't get burned out. 4 would be the next one to go for and keep the female protagonist when you get a hankering for more Persona. You should have no trouble jumping straight into 5 anyway, the games are only very loosely connected.

Edit: June 2016 release apparently. Hope it doesn't clash with Persona 5.

Sept. 30 EU release for FFXV apparently

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Stayed up for the FF15 uncovered hoping for a PC release. When he picked up that PC controller for the demo gameplay demo I near shít myself. Alas it was not meant to be. :(

Stayed up for the FF15 uncovered hoping for a PC release. When he picked up that PC controller for the demo gameplay demo I near shít myself. Alas it was not meant to be. :(

I'd be confident there will be one just maybe a year down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Ffs the FFXV CE is €270. Trust Square Enix to jack up the price with a Play Arts Kai. I wouldn't mind but those Play Arts are starting to sell at near Hot Toys prices and are nowhere near as good.

Edit: Crunchyroll have just added the 1st of 5 episodes of the Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV anime for streaming.

So has anyone played the demo yet? My slow internet speed is coughing up a lung as it tries...

Edit: Crunchyroll have just added the 1st of 5 episodes of the Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV anime for streaming.

Well that's something I'm going to give a miss. From everything I've seen this is one I won't be playing for the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It's been leaked elsewhere that it will hit PCs too. But just no release date for it.

Collectors editions are usually my go to for FF games but €270 is very steep for something that I'm not sure I'd get use out of. Especially since I'll be picking up the PS VR the day after.

RedXIV wrote: »
    It's been leaked elsewhere that it will hit PCs too. But just no release date for it.

Collectors editions are usually my go to for FF games but €270 is very steep for something that I'm not sure I'd get use out of. Especially since I'll be picking up the PS VR the day after.
    Indeed would have prefered if they left out the Play Arts Kai of Noctis and sold it for €150.

As mentioed earlier those Play Arts are getting ridiculously over priced, can remember when they retailed for ~€70 you are lucky to get one under €120 now at retail. Hell Big Bang sell PAK Captain America for €200, you can get a Hot Toys First Avenger Cap for €230 and far higher quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

270 ****ing quid. Oh **** right off, games companies are taking the piss nowdays

270 ****ing quid. Oh **** right off, games companies are taking the piss nowdays

Thats because it comes with a figure that would normally retail between €120 and €150. Also pretty certain the Play Arts would probably be the least wanted part of that CE.

The content is pretty good with 2 steelbooks, a 192 page hardcover art book, Kingsglaive on bd, Brotherhood on bd, the soundtrack on bd, a bunch of digital items, the exclusive variant PAK of Noctis and the game.
    01see21841920_01.jpg

There is also the deluxe edition which comes with a different steelbook, Kingsglaive, some dlc and the game for €90.
    01see21801754_01.jpg

Also don't be surprised if the deluxe and CE versions are exclusive to the Square store like the RotTR one was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

I really hope I don't have to pay attention to all this ancillary media to know what's going on in XV

megaten wrote: »
    I really hope I don't have to pay attention to all this ancillary media to know what's going on in XV

I paid attention to all the ancillary media for FF13 and I'm none the wiser :) If it plays like the Xenoblade-esque game the demo promised then I'll be happy even if the story is arse.

The main thing I was disappointed in from the show was the use of Stand By Me. I miss the days when Final Fantasy was confident enough to stand on its own two feet and create its own iconic themes and songs.

It's better than Leona flipping Lewis at least but still feels lame to me, like trying to buy unearned emotion

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sieghardt wrote: »
    The main thing I was disappointed in from the show was the use of Stand By Me. I miss the days when Final Fantasy was confident enough to stand on its own two feet and create its own iconic themes and songs.

It's better than Leona flipping Lewis at least but still feels lame to me, like trying to buy unearned emotion

I miss Nobuo Uematsu.

I miss Nobuo Uematsu.

He is missed but to be fair to the current Final Fantasy composers they are knocking it out of the park. Other than the Leona Lewis muck the FFXIII and its sequels had amazing soundtracks, probably only topped by the likes of Nier last generation. I say give the guys a chance. Look at how many people complained at Shoji Meguro not composing on SMT4, the new composers are arguably as good, if not better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

He is missed but to be fair to the current Final Fantasy composers they are knocking it out of the park. Other than the Leona Lewis muck the FFXIII and its sequels had amazing soundtracks, probably only topped by the likes of Nier last generation. I say give the guys a chance. Look at how many people complained at Shoji Meguro not composing on SMT4, the new composers are arguably as good, if not better.

I agree, FFXIII had some awesome songs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not sure what to think of that demo. It's in essence a glorified tech demo, showing off environments and features. And it's mighty impressive in some senses - while certainly a PC release would do it full justice, the world seems like a triumph of scale and there's some stunning visual sights. The demo is right to explicitly show off things like day/night cycles and weather effects, because they do look great.

Gameplay wise it's less interesting. Haven't played the original demo, but the combat didn't quite hit for me - felt crude and inexact. Admittedly there's very little fighting in the demo - a few identical encounters followed by a trivially easy boss fight - but yeah didn't sell itself in that respect. Although the meteorrain spell might be the prettiest magic effect I've ever seen in a game, even if it is hilariously overpowered :)

There's some bizarre flourishes, suggesting a hint more playfulness than recent po-faced FF efforts - the 'transformation' tiles are particularly unexpected, and would be fascinating if that crossed over to the main game.

Also: **** the demo demanding you collect meaningless shards to unlock more features!

It's a weird demo then, but certainly suggests that technically this could be something special. Whether the gameplay can keep pace, of if it has just been purposefully scaled back for the purposes of the demo... Hopefully there's a bit more nuance on display than there is here otherwise spending dozens of hours with this doesn't seem all that appealing.

And if anything has ever illustrated why the vast majority of tat-filled, over-expensive collector's editions should be ignored, a 270 quid one does :)

• Advertisement

And if anything has ever illustrated why the vast majority of tat-filled, over-expensive collector's editions should be ignored, a 270 quid one does :)

Well that 270 quid one full of tat is now completely sold out.

Picking up the €90 deluxe myself.

PC version apparently won't be discussed until after the console versions are released.

Advertisement