Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Last day today for pre-orders on Disgaea (Steam).

I'm gonna pass though, I don't have enough time left in my life to finish it.
    I mean, I'm nearly 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Last day today for pre-orders on Disgaea (Steam).

I'm gonna pass though, I don't have enough time left in my life to finish it.
    I mean, I'm nearly 30!

Finished up Disgaea 5 today, longest one so far for me, nearly 120 hours sunk into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Does anyone truly finish a disgaea game?

It's a series I tried to get into but it never grabbed me. I'm hoping the PC release changes that.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

It's a series I tried to get into but it never grabbed me. I'm hoping the PC release changes that.

God no, if I was to platinum it, I would have to put in over 500 hours or more, but I have always found them very enjoyable, but at first it did take me awhile to get into them as well, but once I was hooked there was no going back, have put in over 1000 hours into the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

I just play through the story missions. The whole endless grinding thing is just for postgame content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

The Atelier games might fit the bill for you. The latest Atelier Shallie is far more traditional than the rest of the series. However I'd start with the beginning of the trilogy, atelier Ayesha and atelier escha and loft are superb.
    Think I'll try the latest one after looking at it. Thanks for the replies.

Rune Factory 4 is on sale this week. Any impressions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    Rune Factory 4 is on sale this week. Any impressions?

Not played it myself but heard it's excellent and a high point of the series.

Anyone played Stranger of Sword City ? Seems it's getting a vita and xbox one release later this month.

Anyone played Stranger of Sword City ? Seems it's getting a vita and xbox one release later this month.

This is the first time it has had an English release, but it is done by Experience Inc. who also did Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy both of which I quite enjoyed on the Vita.

I would expect a lot of grinding, previous games have taken about 60 hours and half of that was grinding, it will probably be moderate to hard for the most part in dungeons as you cannot save, but easier in the overworld and it should have some post game content.

• Advertisement

I want to but I'm still halfway through both Etrian Oddessy IV and Demon Gaze so I can't really afford to start a new dungeon crawler.

Amazon.jp is now offering international shipping on games and consoles, but only if sold directly from Amazon, I have found them to be really quick with the likes of books and for example Star Ocean 5 will work out around €60 delivered, I would say import sites will now take a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Xenji wrote: »
    Amazon.jp is now offering international shipping on games and consoles, but only if sold directly from Amazon, I have found them to be really quick with the likes of books and for example Star Ocean 5 will work out around €60 delivered, I would say import sites will now take a hit.

And you won't need to worry about customs as you prepay the VAT(which will be returned if customs doesn't snatch the parcel).

Trails in the Sky 3rd and Trails of Cold Steel confirmed for English release. Seems Sky 3rd will only be released on PC.

To celebrate Trails FC and SC are discounted by 50 and 30% respectively on Steam for the next week.

Edit: also discounted on psn by 50 and 33%.

Awesome news. Fingers crossed it means zero and azure will get a release somewhere down the line. Maybe even a PC port of the gagharv trilogy that fixes the complete **** up of a translation Namco did to them.

Project Setsuna is getting a summer release in the west, digital only on the PS4 and it is getting a PC release as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anyone try pier solar on psn? Down to €7 and wondering if worth it?

RedXIV wrote: »

It's pretty much the most generic JRPG you will ever play. It was good on the megadrive as a technical showpiece but on other hardware there's nothing else to make it worth playing above much better games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Trails it is so!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Trails it is so!

Cheers!

Playing this periodically.

It's getting a bit more interesting now buy I had to put alot of hours in.

The main characters are kids and their dialogue is nonsense for the most part (interesting and insightful dialogue seems to be reserved for the main plot developments rather than the day to day natter - say there is ALOT of this).

Battle system is fine. Nothing special. The speed at which you move on the mini map and the ability to escape or avoid random encounters with ease does help move it on tho. It's an easy game so far (1 boss death) and grinding doesn't seem necessary.

• Advertisement

I started it again myself. Taking it very slow, talking to everyone after every major plot point and taking all the side quests. I was recommended to do this by a few people. The world building is excellent, many of the NPCs have their own character arcs but it does mean it goes by very slowly. Still loving it and it's not as intrusive as I expected. The characters really set it apart. Estelle might just be up there with my favourite videogame character of all time and all the rest are excellent thanks to some great writing and dialogue.

I heard not to expect some revolutionary JRPG but rather the traditional JRPG done better than anything else and it's not too far off the mark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing Bravely Second at the moment. It's a strange mix of brilliant sequel and glorified expansion pack. Certainly the first few hours are effectively just revisiting locations from Default, more or less exactly as they were (well, from my memories of the first anyway). It makes sense in the context of the story, but can't help but be a bit disappointed with the recycled assets. The 'bravely second' and social features are still a load of arse.

That said, the jobs system is already more interesting and advanced. The designers clearly just said '**** it' and went all in, with systems that are ludicrously and gloriously OTT. One of the first classes you unlock allows you to equip a third weapon on your head, for example :pac: Also helps that there are far fewer consequences to changing on the fly, which encourages experimentation.

They've also expanded perhaps the best thing about the first - the sheer efficiency and speed of the combat system. It's wonderful that it allows so many shortcuts - whether that's multi-battle multipliers if you choose to delay rewards, or a fully customisable auto-battle system that makes random encounters a breeze. Plus, being able to turn off random battles entirely is still something pretty much every JRPG of this ilk should adopt - significantly reduces the frustration of combing through a dungeon for the last few bits and pieces. And if you're stuck, knocking the encounter rate up can help you speed through the levels.

It's not a radical sequel by any stretch, and if you didn't care for the first this isn't going to win you over. But certainly if you haven't played the first, this feels like an even fuller realisation of that game's many welcome advances.

I must play those games myself soon. FF Tactics and FFV thought me that there's nothing better than a gloriously broken job system.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I've played it for maybe 15 hours or so but then just got bored and left it. It's extremely rare for me to give up on a JRPG but the combination of a really dull battle system, very high number of encounters and annoying dungeon design were just too offputting.

Bravely Second is still sitting in its packaging, after how the second half of the first game played out and basically sucked all the fun out of the game for me, I can not bring it myself to play it for the moment, they have gone the Megaman route with the sequel, but hopefully it ends up surprising me.

Feck missed out again. Going to have to keep refreshing the co.uk store now :(

The .de store just updated their page, no price for the SE yet, but should be soon.

Yeah, seems Nintendo are really being scabby with SE units as usual. France only getting 7000 units total apparently.

Bit odd that Amazon have it in the UK and not the usual Game/Nintendo store combo.

This crap pleases no one but the scalpers :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing Skies of Arcadia again...ahh the memories :)

Advertisement