Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Xenji wrote: »
    You need to be a real sadist to enjoy Natural Doctrine, its very tough and complicated, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 got a 3DS release last week.

Might reconsider then, don't want anything too taxing.

What about Trails in the Sky, anyone tell me if it's any use?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Might reconsider then, don't want anything too taxing.

What about Trails in the Sky, anyone tell me if it's any use?

As far as traditional JRPGs go it can't be beat.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As far as traditional JRPGs go it can't be beat.

Ok that sounds right up my alley and something I could play stress free, think I'll buy it. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ok that sounds right up my alley and something I could play stress free, think I'll buy it. Thanks.

Be warned, it can be long (most of the fun is in talking to all the NPC's after each major plot event to open up new side quests and dialogue trees), it ends on a cliffhanger (happily resolved in the recently released sequel) and is a real tear jerker.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Be warned, it can be long (most of the fun is in talking to all the NPC's after each major plot event to open up new side quests and dialogue trees), it ends on a cliffhanger (happily resolved in the recently released sequel) and is a real tear jerker.

No problem with it being long, I'll have a lot of time to kill. It sounds exactly what I'm looking for tbh. Thanks.

Now if only PSN would finish up maintenance and let me redeem a voucher, has been this way since last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Thinking of giving trails another go now that the sequels actually come out but I can't decide to go PC or handheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

You need to be a real sadist to enjoy Natural Doctrine, its very tough and complicated, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 got a 3DS release last week.

Natural Doctrine isnt that complicated, I'd put it in a box with games like Resonance of Fate for being really simple once it clicks
    megaten wrote: »
    Thinking of giving trails another go now that the sequels actually come out but I can't decide to go PC or handheld.

PC is the best place to play it if it's an option to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm a big fan of both games. Took more restarts to beat Devil Survivor 2 than ND so wouldn't go along with it being sadistic. Some of the boss battles in DS 2 are quite arbitrary. Preferred DS 1 as the plot and characters were far better but both are great JRPGs.

Bought Trails there last night anyway, only played about ten minutes but I get that nice warm nostalgic feeling from it. Think it'll do. Also great to see there's a sequel if I get around to beating it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dragon Quest VII and VIII coming westwards for 3DS, it seems.

Mother 3 announced for VC Japan too - a good bet an English release isn't too far behind at this point I reckon :)

• Advertisement

Great to see DQ7 finally get a western release. Perhaps a bit too much to ask for the DQ monsters remakes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finished up Dragon Quest Heroes this morning, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, the story is only serviceable the usual light vs darkness, but the characters are very well fleshed out and connectable, the gameplay is solid and it has some lovely visuals, imo it is a real step up from playing Hyrule Warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Really happy we're getting DQ7 looked like a lost cause for a long time.

The original Disgeaea is getting a port to PC next year too. Look a bit rough but I guess it is a sprite based ps2 game.

megaten wrote: »
    Really happy we're getting DQ7 looked like a lost cause for a long time.

The original Disgeaea is getting a port to PC next year too. Look a bit rough but I guess it is a sprite based ps2 game.

I might actually get around to playing it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The really exciting thing about Disgaea getting a port is the possibility of Yomawari on PC! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

New Valkyria Chronicles games announced for PS4, news I'm confident most people here will meet with indifference ;)

http://kotaku.com/sega-is-making-a-new-valkyria-chronicles-for-ps4-1742963262

Was just coming on here to post that. Awesome news!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Oh my goodness!

Deeply disappointed with the announcement ;_;
    It's not a SRPG, it's not set in the world of Valkyria and it's not developed by the Valkyria team

Atelier Escha & Logy Plus Limited Edition Bundle.

j6magtj.jpg

• Advertisement

Just platinumed Lost Dimension

it's not the best game ever made but man is it full of interesting experimental ideas, not only in the traitor system but also in the battle system too

I'd love to see them smooth out the systems and make a full fledged RPG that's less contrived with them

Final Fantasy VI has been rated for PC by PEGI.

Final Fantasy VI has been rated for PC by PEGI.

Probably the mobile port with nafftastic graphics but still better than nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AlexOC97

My favourite JRPG is The World Ends With You on DS.

The PC port of FF7 is getting released today on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Some footage of the FF7 remake including some battle footage as well. Not sure how much I like the looks of the battle system.

Ni no Kuni 2 announced, not really a surprise, but I am not going touching after the original unless there have been some major improvements.

Kingdom Hearts, Type 0, XV and now FF7R, all more or less the same gameplay, all **** :/

It looks amazing other than that but it's depressing the see the same ****ty battle system reskinned rather than an attempt to modernize the old battle system

Ni no Kuni 2 announced, not really a surprise, but I am not going touching after the original unless there have been some major improvements.

I am. I don't really care if the first game was flawed I just loved it. Delighted.

• Advertisement

blackwave wrote: »
    Some footage of the FF7 remake including some battle footage as well. Not sure how much I like the looks of the battle system.

Well looks like they are using the FFXV engine although not surprised, if they have it use it and it's not like it's a bad engine.

They seem to be going for the whole grim dark, christopher nolan mixed with the worst of anime when it comes to story which is disappointing and taking cues from the abhorrent Advent Children. It's taking itself much too seriously when on a recent playthrough of FF7 the most fun was all the crazy weird stuff that made that game.

Good to see the battle system drastically changed, it needed an overhaul. The original battle system was pretty crappy. Even if the story is absolute gash if it's fun I'm all for it and it's good to see they are taking it in a new direction rather than a bit of spit and polish.

Christ, Ni No Kuni was everything the media said was wrong with the JRPG genre that didn't actually exist brought into some disgusting reality. I found it one of the worst RPGs I've ever played and not even the visuals and sound could save it. Terrible game, just hope the original is vastly different, Level 5 have proven they can do a lot better than that muck.

Advertisement