Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2012/2013 Online Grant Application Opens Monday 12th June***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missinginfo

Is there anybody else in the same boat as me and not heard anything at all back from SUSI ?

i applied on the 12th of june...heard nothing.. so i decided to log into susi today..and my grant application hadnt even been submitted and i'm sure i filled it out back in june and submitted it, was wondering why i didnt get an email or anything... so had to refill the application and got an email response immediatly.. nearly sure i filled out all the info and submitted it...nearly sure i filled out all the information and submitted it....weird gliches i guess.. hope the application is processed on time....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ima_goldfish!

Right, im only starting the online application now ( a big mistake on my part I know ) but I didnt think they would ask so many detailed questions that you need documents for to even find out the answer too! I thought as the online application was just the first stage,it would be basic questions! Im just wondering, how much trouble am I in? Im half way through filling out the online application which is stalled now waiting for documents to find out my and parents earnings for 2011! I know the closing date is 31 of august but i cant help needing the documents to know the answers so if Im delayed and dont finish the online app. on time, will i be totally disqualified from applying for the grant and fee payment??!! Im bricking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

Ugggggh, I still haven't got mine done. I know the closing date isn't until the end of August but I want to get it in asap. My Mum's taking aaaaaages to get her accounts done from the accountant. Grrrrr, wish it was as easy as just getting a P60. Times like this I wish she wasn't self employed. It's like she's just not giving it the attention it needs :(

And the worst part is that because it's an online application, I can't move on to the next section without her earnings for 2011....so I'm only half way through. I don't even know what else is beyond this section that I might need from my parents! >:(

Just wondering what you did in this situation? My Dad is self employed but he had all of the work done at home but just has to send it to the accountant.We filled it out anyway going roughly on figures, I wonder if this was okay?:/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mruby

Hi all, I am a mature student and I have been accepted for a place in a masters starting in 3-4 weeks time. I applied for a tuition grant about four days after it went live online. I emailed them just less than a month later asking for the status on my application and received an email two days later stating I had been 'deemed provisionally eligible' for the fee grant and I would receive a letter containing a list of documents I would need to send in.

Two weeks went by and I rang the SUSI helpdesk again. They advised that they have escalated my case to the head office and I will receive that letter by the end of the week. The following week I rang to tell them I had not received this letter, she said my application was still being asessed and they will write to me in due course. I advised her that I have to start this course in less than a month and I had been advised I was provisionally eligible pending documents received from me. She then advised that email must have sent to me by mistake! :(

I dont know what to do, How can I start this course if I still have no reply from SUSI? And, how, two months after applying, can they still be asessing my application if they do not have the relevant documents they need? I would send them in if I know which ones they wanted but they wont tell me! Im at my wits end here and I am extremely unimpressed with SUSI.

Anyone else in the same spot of bother as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

mruby wrote: »
    Hi all, I am a mature student and I have been accepted for a place in a masters starting in 3-4 weeks time. I applied for a tuition grant about four days after it went live online. I emailed them just less than a month later asking for the status on my application and received an email two days later stating I had been 'deemed provisionally eligible' for the fee grant and I would receive a letter containing a list of documents I would need to send in.

Two weeks went by and I rang the SUSI helpdesk again. They advised that they have escalated my case to the head office and I will receive that letter by the end of the week. The following week I rang to tell them I had not received this letter, she said my application was still being asessed and they will write to me in due course. I advised her that I have to start this course in less than a month and I had been advised I was provisionally eligible pending documents received from me. She then advised that email must have sent to me by mistake! :(

I dont know what to do, How can I start this course if I still have no reply from SUSI? And, how, two months after applying, can they still be asessing my application if they do not have the relevant documents they need? I would send them in if I know which ones they wanted but they wont tell me! Im at my wits end here and I am extremely unimpressed with SUSI.

Anyone else in the same spot of bother as me?

I got my provisional acceptance letter, then rang them a month after that asking why I hadn't heard anything back. Apparently they're not going to reply to us until we enrol in college and get a letter from the college proving we've enrolled.. Very stupid imo, some people may be relying on a grant and then not get it and have already enrolled in their course, all because the grant authority aren't efficient enough..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Bubblegum18

Avox wrote: »
    I got my provisional acceptance letter, then rang them a month after that asking why I hadn't heard anything back. Apparently they're not going to reply to us until we enrol in college and get a letter from the college proving we've enrolled.. Very stupid imo, some people may be relying on a grant and then not get it and have already enrolled in their course, all because the grant authority aren't efficient enough..

WHAT!!!!!!! thats ridiculous!!! how are people supposed to pay rent and travel??? They cant do that people wont be able to afford it

WHAT!!!!!!! thats ridiculous!!! how are people supposed to pay rent and travel??? They cant do that people wont be able to afford it

Well, you still wouldn't have been able to with the old system.. Most people get their first payment mid-October.. :/

Well, you still wouldn't have been able to with the old system.. Most people get their first payment mid-October.. :/
    Why wouldn't people be able to afford it?
    With the old system people knew if they were getting a grant in August and could tell the college they are able to pay the fees, Most colleges are flexible once they know funds are going to be available, with this new system no one knows if they are going to get a cent. SUSI are going to cause everyone a lot of headaches

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

People knew by August on the old system? They did in my áss. One of my friends didn't get her acceptance letter until April in first year. I don't know anyone who going into first year would have known in August, the old system you couldn't apply until you accepted your place. The earliest I ever got a payment was in November.

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    People knew by August on the old system? They did in my áss. One of my friends didn't get her acceptance letter until April in first year. I don't know anyone who going into first year would have known in August, the old system you couldn't apply until you accepted your place. The earliest I ever got a payment was in November.

Well in Waterford County VEC, people got their letters at the end of August. I'm not sure how it worked elsewhere! No need to be so rude when you clearly haven't been to every VEC in the county. Also the old system you could apply in June, before you accepted your place, so you're clearly misinformed too.

• Advertisement

Pigwidgeon wrote: »

Theres no need to be so abusive about it I was class rep last year and everyone I knew in my college had got there acceptance letters in August and got payments in October I had friends in other university's and ITs that got their grants to. Its not fair branding all the VECs with the one brush the majority of them are very professional and helpful. SUSI would want to take a few leaves out of their book and fast

Theres no need to be so abusive about it I was class rep last year and everyone I knew in my college had got there acceptance letters in August and got payments in October I had friends in other university's and ITs that got their grants to. Its not fair branding all the VECs with the one brush the majority of them are very professional and helpful. SUSI would want to take a few leaves out of their book and fast

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the comments by the user abusive and so very wrong!

Just got off the phone there from SUSI- I asked when will I here from them again the lady said once they put up our documentation on their data base it should take 4 weeks approx they will write and let us know if we are getting a grant or not and to get a letter from the college we are attending. So in other words much the same as last years old VEC system. But this is only my experience so don't take it as gospel. From the posts ive read on this thread SUSI have a tendency to say different things. But hopefully what this lady told me is correct, it does make a lot more sense for them to let us know before we go back to college

Just got off the phone there from SUSI- I asked when will I here from them again the lady said once they put up our documentation on their data base it should take 4 weeks approx they will write and let us know if we are getting a grant or not and to get a letter from the college we are attending. So in other words much the same as last years old VEC system. But this is only my experience so don't take it as gospel. From the posts ive read on this thread SUSI have a tendency to say different things. But hopefully what this lady told me is correct, it does make a lot more sense for them to let us know before we go back to college

Yeah they all tell a different story. The girl I was talking to said my documents were marked as checked in and confirmed but she couldn't do anything until I sent in a letter from the college proving that I had enrolled. I honestly don't think any of them have a clue what they're doing, it's as if they were just brought in and told to tell people anything on the phones. :/

Yeah they all tell a different story. The girl I was talking to said my documents were marked as checked in and confirmed but she couldn't do anything until I sent in a letter from the college proving that I had enrolled. I honestly don't think any of them have a clue what they're doing, it's as if they were just brought in and told to tell people anything on the phones. :/
    I think your spot on Avox, its not fair they should tell people where they stand. Its not fair how they are allowed to waste time like this it cant be that hard to check documents and send a letter or even an email to let people know if they are going to get anything. I remember last year people at college were saying they were at the same thing with medical cards they delayed as long as possible. Id say they're just trying to turn people off

I guess its just a case of starting a course regardless of knowing whether or not one is getting the grant and hoping for the best. What a very lax way of doing things on SUSI's part. Especially in my case; I am undertaking a masters where I only get my fees partially or fully covered. I wont get any maintenance so if I have to pay for my fees on top of everything else, Im set for an extremely stressful year ahead. At least if I was given some indication before I started that my fees will be fully or partially covered, I could plan my finances some bit better. Its extremely stressful having to wait this long knowing that it is likely you still wont know what is going on even before the course starts. Its not good to be entering a new college year stressed out already. Anyone know if there is any person or group that one can complain to regarding SUSI? It just seems like the heat needs to be turned on under SUSI as they are not listening to us, the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks the SUSI process is brand new. It will take time. If you think the delays are unreasonable then contact your local TD to complain.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Local TDs dont care - no one does,TDs and other people in Government dont have jump through all theses hoops to get their expenses paid.
    Student grants aren't a new thing they've been on the go for years most VECs did a great job SUSI just have to use the model of the old VEC system. Its obvious they are not doing this and we the students are the ones that loose out as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Local TDs dont care - no one does,TDs and other people in Government dont have jump through all theses hoops to get their expenses paid.
    Student grants aren't a new thing they've been on the go for years most VECs did a great job SUSI just have to use the model of the old VEC system. Its obvious they are not doing this and we the students are the ones that loose out as always.

Have you finished your little pointless rant? TDs do care and if enough students complained then SUSI and the minister might take notice.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Fair enough, Ill contact my local TD. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully they can help me some bit.

• Advertisement

Have you finished your little pointless rant? TDs do care and if enough students complained then SUSI and the minister might take notice.
    Excuse me my pointless rant? TDs dont care get in contact with your one and see all the heed they'll give you, last year thousands of students protested against grants being cut and college fees going up. And guess what the government went and done it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

that is mad ....I have sent back all my supporting documents around 2 weeks ago at this point. Are they planning on contacting me to let me know I have to be enrolled in college before they give me their decision ? or am i supposed to me a mindreader ?

madcharlie wrote: »
    that is mad ....I have sent back all my supporting documents around 2 weeks ago at this point. Are they planning on contacting me to let me know I have to be enrolled in college before they give me their decision ? or am i supposed to me a mindreader ?

Well if you only sent them 2 weeks ago, you probably won't hear back for another month yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

Well if you only sent them 2 weeks ago, you probably won't hear back for another month yet!

Yip I may be slightly impatient lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Sent in all my documents 3 weeks ago got a letter today requesting more info but it didn't state the documents needed.

Rang up and apparently its a computer glitch or something..said they would repost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dougal McGuire

I guess its just a case of starting a course regardless of knowing whether or not one is getting the grant and hoping for the best. What a very lax way of doing things on SUSI's part. Especially in my case; I am undertaking a masters where I only get my fees partially or fully covered. I wont get any maintenance so if I have to pay for my fees on top of everything else, Im set for an extremely stressful year ahead. At least if I was given some indication before I started that my fees will be fully or partially covered, I could plan my finances some bit better. Its extremely stressful having to wait this long knowing that it is likely you still wont know what is going on even before the course starts. Its not good to be entering a new college year stressed out already. Anyone know if there is any person or group that one can complain to regarding SUSI? It just seems like the heat needs to be turned on under SUSI as they are not listening to us, the students.

Im in the same posistion as yourself. rang SUSI today to ask how long it would take them to process my application (after I first applied in June) but your wan on the phone said she couldnt give me a time scale. she did howeve r say that Im not at the decision stage yet and I need to know by 2 weeks time . some joke of a system

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Im in the same posistion as yourself. rang SUSI today to ask how long it would take them to process my application (after I first applied in June) but your wan on the phone said she couldnt give me a time scale. she did howeve r say that Im not at the decision stage yet and I need to know by 2 weeks time . some joke of a system

Sorry there D McG, had to say great username :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missinginfo

rang em todaY, susi herself,, TO SEE HOW THE APPLICATION WAS DOING, there fierce busy, it took a week for a n email response, and the phone call today revealed i had been preliminarily approved, still a long wait yet for the next approval stage as i haven't had a request for documentation yet, so twill be well into september afore i find out, so it looks like accomodation possibilties re gonna be well reduced, anyway will manage the bureaucratic head mash being imposed , anyway the sun should be out when the schools open so, must find those shades:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anne54

I applied for a grant on the 11th of June and to date I've heard absolutely nothing! Have called the helpline continuously and each time I'm told "it's being processed". I can't get past the helpline to talk to anyone and they seem to know nothing! Anyone know who is in charge of SUSI or where I can go to for help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Are SUSI supposed to ask for the documents they need or am I supposed to send them in after applying?
    I'd much prefer if this was kept with the VEC's :/

Advertisement