Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,108 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Question:
    when ladies say "no pic, no reply" do they mean no pics in your profile or no pic in the actual message you send them? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

GreeBo wrote: »
    Question:
    when ladies say "no pic, no reply" do they mean no pics in your profile or no pic in the actual message you send them? :o

I would its a case of they need to see some sort of photo so either have one up on your profile or send one in the first mail you send .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And they're not at all hypocritical by not having a pic themselves in their profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,108 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And they're not at all hypocritical by not having a pic themselves in their profile.

Well I am only msging ones that have a pic, shallow as it may seem to some I dont think there is much point in going down a road with someone with whom I have no giggity towards at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I think I've become a bit picky.

The profiles I avoid are:
    Girls who have pictures of them drinking.
    Girls who claim to drink more than 3 times a week.

These two stood out for me. As others have said, discounting someone because they happen to have liquid in their hand in a picture seems very harsh. Also, someone could have a glass of wine with their dinner every evening but never go out and get smashed, but you'd discount them because they drink more than three times a week?

Again, seems a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I think I've become a bit picky. I try send messages to girls, I try make them thought out and I try ask open ended questions about them but I don't get many replies. :confused:

I think I'm handsome enough, not Edward Cullen or Johnny Depp but I'm somewhere around average to above-average, if I don't mind my saying so. I have a few bros and they get with great looking women. I've been with some stunners and others not as pretty, looks-wise but have nice personalities.

Anyway, any girls lurking about have some tips. I know the slightest thing a girl can have on her profile would put me off even if I thought everything else ticked all the right boxes. So maybe that's the case with me. Maybe there's just something off putting on my profile.

The profiles I avoid are:
    Girls who have only pics of them going out.
    Girls who have pictures of them drinking.
    Girls who claim to drink more than 3 times a week.
    Girls who pout or obviously contrive their photos to make them look better/cover up insecurites.
    Girls who list shopping as a interest/hobby, lol.
    Text speak
    Generally explains that she likes to laugh or is up for a laugh (who the **** isn't?)

Profiles Girls I go for...
    Creative streak
    Enjoys films/arts/cooking
    Quirky or vintage style fashion or likes feminine clothes/dresses
    Enjoys travelling
    Dark hair :)
    Doesn't rely on make-up. Make-up compliments her not defines her.

I'm probably being too picky. I was in love in my last relationship (4 years). I'm in my late twenties and am really noticed I'm more picky. Some times I think I'll never find someone.

Sorry but all of that is ridiculous. Your arty creative girl could be a serious drinker and have no photo of her guzzling wine.

It makes no sense - you don't know what someone is really like until you meet them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Had a date last night, wasnt going to go but glad i did. She was a great laugh, the drinks flowed along with the crazy chat. Even got s smootch on the way home.

Texted her this morning to say i had a great time, hopefully ill get a reply :-)

GreeBo wrote: »
    Well I am only msging ones that have a pic, shallow as it may seem to some I dont think there is much point in going down a road with someone with whom I have no giggity towards at all.

I'd be the same. I mean there are girls who insist you have a pic if you want to message them even though they don't have a pic in their profile. So you have to make the first move but they're first to judge you on how you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I'd be the same. I mean there are girls who insist you have a pic if you want to message them even though they don't have a pic in their profile. So you have to make the first move but they're first to judge you on how you look.

Does it matter who see who first?

Why not put up a public photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I don't have a photo up at the moment. I send one on my first message or in my first reply if I receive a message. I don't see it as a big deal as long as both parties see a photo of each other as soon as possible. No point drawing it out.

I probably get less messages this way but as I'm quite picky I don't mind having to do the seeking out :pac:

Got a date tonight, what am I doing on here time to get ready :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Honey-ec wrote: »
    These two stood out for me. As others have said, discounting someone because they happen to have liquid in their hand in a picture seems very harsh. Also, someone could have a glass of wine with their dinner every evening but never go out and get smashed, but you'd discount them because they drink more than three times a week?

Again, seems a bit odd.

Is it anymore odd than somone who will only date a non smoker? Having the odd drink is fine, but if someone likes to get rat arsed every weekend, then they may not be a great choice for someone who is a teatotaler.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Is it anymore odd than somone who will only date a non smoker? Having the odd drink is fine, but if someone likes to get rat arsed every weekend, then they may not be a great choice for someone who is a teatotaler.

But a photo of someone with a drink in their hand doesn't mean they 'get rat arsed every weekend'. It may not even be an alcoholic drink.

mood wrote: »
    But a photo of someone with a drink in their hand doesn't mean they 'get rat arsed every weekend'. It may not even be an alcoholic drink.

Ohh I know, I'm not saying that, but if they actually say it in their profile, it would be a bit of a turn off. Although for me, a girl with a picture of a fag in her hand is a much bigger turn off, especially when she has 'non smoker' stated in her profile.

mood wrote: »
    Does it matter who see who first?

Why not put up a public photo?

If they see me first and send a message then it's grand but I just mean if they state in their pictureless profile that they won't reply unless the person messaging them has a pic, would you not consider that a bit hypocritical?

If they see me first and send a message then it's grand but I just mean if they state in their pictureless profile that they won't reply unless the person messaging them has a pic, would you not consider that a bit hypocritical?

Not if they always sent a picture with their first email.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just got an unsolicited message from a lovely articulate girl on OKC. Lives in Massachusetts. Close, but no cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Well my scheduled date tonight didn't happen. A bit of texting to and fro before she tells me she can't make it and if I want to meet next week.

I met friends for a few jars earlier instead - really can't be arsed with another time waster.

That sucks. Did she give a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Galvasean wrote: »
    That sucks. Did she gie a reason?

No. I think she expected me to do all the running and what not - then I get a text when mooching around central London two hours before the date.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I'm not massively bothered really - although she's probably arranged a date with someone else instead!

Ah, feck it.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just got an unsolicited message from a lovely articulate girl on OKC. Lives in Massachusetts. Close, but no cigar.

Maybe she thought you were Ross Gellar. ;)

• Advertisement

One can only dream...

No. I think she expected me to do all the running and what not - then I get a text when mooching around central London two hours before the date.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I'm not massively bothered really - although she's probably arranged a date with someone else instead!

Ah, feck it.

Unless she got held up at work, had an accident or is sick etc I wouldn't bother. Not even saying why is not very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ah, feck it.

Well that's shít. Sorry to hear that. Glad you didn't waste your time though and had a few drinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

My POF account has suddenly disappeared; no trace of the username or even the email. I set up another account yesterday as a test and now that too has disappeared. I had my original account for about 18 months and never had a problem; didn't have indecent images or anything :p

I've emailed asking WTF, but just wondering has this ever happened to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

johnnykilo wrote: »
    My POF account has suddenly disappeared; no trace of the username or even the email. I set up another account yesterday as a test and now that too has disappeared. I had my original account for about 18 months and never had a problem; didn't have indecent images or anything :p

I've emailed asking WTF, but just wondering has this ever happened to anyone else?

I'd imagine it's a glitch, but about 4 months ago, a guy I was talking to on it had it happen to him, too.

You didn't go out with a hacker then stop talking to her, did you? And she doesn't have to look like Angelina Jolie to be a hacker

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Is it a sign??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Had a date last night, seems like third time was in fact a charm! Great guy and had that all elusive "spark" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Date organised for this day next week, Christmas can really get in the way :-D

It's a first for me, a blind date (sort of). He's a friend of a friend, I spoke to him at a wedding 6 years ago apparently. Can't remember him though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Date went well last night. I was a bit bold and stayed the night though :o Funny as I do recall in my last post talking about sleeping with someone on a first date and the risk that it won't turn into anything more! :p Ah well sure, had fun anyway :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement