Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

A ridiculously attractive lady sent one of those "meet me" things on POF. Sent off a mail but not expecting anything back as those "meet me" notifications are generally useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Maguined wrote: »
    A ridiculously attractive lady sent one of those "meet me" things on POF. Sent off a mail but not expecting anything back as those "meet me" notifications are generally useless.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I don't even bother with that crap anymore ! I have about 30 people on the list and the last woman who did it I sent her my phone number in a mail saying lets organise something . I never heard back from her :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)
    I don't even bother with that crap anymore ! I have about 30 people on the list and the last woman who did it I sent her my phone number in a mail saying lets organise something . I never heard back from her :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Normally I wouldn't bother but the girl in question was stunning AND funny so I couldn't say no.

People are very divisive when it comes to arranging to meet up in my experience, maybe putting your number in your first message to her was off putting to her smiley? Not disagreeing with you though, I do not consider those meet me notifications valid at all.

• Advertisement

Normally I wouldn't bother but the girl in question was stunning AND funny so I couldn't say no.

People are very divisive when it comes to arranging to meet up in my experience, maybe putting your number in your first message to her was off putting to her smiley? Not disagreeing with you though, I do not consider those meet me notifications valid at all.

I think it was more a case of getting sick of people saying they want to meet me , my list has about 25 people one it . So I just decided lets see how serious she was about it :)
    They should get rid of that feature it does nothing for anybody in my opinion . But if she does message you back and you take her out I could be wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I think I've become a bit picky. I try send messages to girls, I try make them thought out and I try ask open ended questions about them but I don't get many replies. :confused:

I think I'm handsome enough, not Edward Cullen or Johnny Depp but I'm somewhere around average to above-average, if I don't mind my saying so. I have a few bros and they get with great looking women. I've been with some stunners and others not as pretty, looks-wise but have nice personalities.

Anyway, any girls lurking about have some tips. I know the slightest thing a girl can have on her profile would put me off even if I thought everything else ticked all the right boxes. So maybe that's the case with me. Maybe there's just something off putting on my profile.

The profiles I avoid are:
    Girls who have only pics of them going out.
    Girls who have pictures of them drinking.
    Girls who claim to drink more than 3 times a week.
    Girls who pout or obviously contrive their photos to make them look better/cover up insecurites.
    Girls who list shopping as a interest/hobby, lol.
    Text speak
    Generally explains that she likes to laugh or is up for a laugh (who the **** isn't?)

Profiles Girls I go for...
    Creative streak
    Enjoys films/arts/cooking
    Quirky or vintage style fashion or likes feminine clothes/dresses
    Enjoys travelling
    Dark hair :)
    Doesn't rely on make-up. Make-up compliments her not defines her.

I'm probably being too picky. I was in love in my last relationship (4 years). I'm in my late twenties and am really noticed I'm more picky. Some times I think I'll never find someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I think it was more a case of getting sick of people saying they want to meet me , my list has about 25 people one it . So I just decided lets see how serious she was about it :)
    They should get rid of that feature it does nothing for anybody in my opinion . But if she does message you back and you take her out I could be wrong :pac:

i got a message from the OKC version of it, saying a mutual match nad been found. I don't remember ever using it so i must've been quite bored some night but anyway........ She's from kazakhstan :rolleyes:

I wonder should i do my nigerian prince routine!!

I think I've become a bit picky. I try send messages to girls, I try make them thought out and I try ask open ended questions about them but I don't get many replies. :confused:

I think I'm handsome enough, not Edward Cullen or Johnny Depp but I'm somewhere around average to above-average, if I don't mind my saying so. I have a few bros and they get with great looking women. I've been with some stunners and others not as pretty, looks-wise but have nice personalities.

Anyway, any girls lurking about have some tips. I know the slightest thing a girl can have on her profile would put me off even if I thought everything else ticked all the right boxes.

Girls who pout or obviously contrive their photos to make them look better/cover up insecurites.
    Text speak
    Generally explains that she likes to laugh or is up for a laugh (who the **** isn't?)

Creative streak
    Enjoys travelling

I'm probably being too picky. I was in love in my last relationship (4 years). I'm in my late twenties and am really noticed I'm more picky. Some times I think I'll never find someone.

Late twenties??

Chill da fuq out!! You have loads of time to worry about never finding someone

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Maybe so but you know when you are 18 and 25 is ancient etc, etc. It's all relative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Anyway, any girls lurking about have some tips. I know the slightest thing a girl can have on her profile would put me off even if I thought everything else ticked all the right boxes. So maybe that's the case with me. Maybe there's just something off putting on my profile.

Text speak

Creative streak
    Enjoys travelling

If I were going for a girl (obviously I'm not, as I'm straight!), I'd probably mentally include most things on your exclusion list, too, aside from one. I don't think having a 'contrived' photo or two is a bad thing or a cover for insecurities. The pouting and preening thing, I don't agree with, but I don't think a few close up, 'good' photos, showing their good side is a terrible thing, as long as they include some more realistic photos, too.

I don't know what to say to explain your lack of responses, but I don't think you're too picky!

Maybe so but you know when you are 18 and 25 is ancient etc, etc. It's all relative.

Well hang on there youngster and i'll break out my zimmer frame!! ;)

Seriously, i wouldn't go putting yourself under so much pressure by thinking that you'll never find someone.

Occasionally i think than.......but the difference is i'm late 30's!! :D

I wouldn't ever change what you are looking for . Its always better to be picky and get what you want rather then settling with somebody because you will never be 100% happy .

the only thing i'd possibly change about your list of auto exclusions is the girl who has pictures of them drinking one.

Do you mean that if a girl has even 1 photo from 5 of her sipping a glass of wine at home on a friday evening, you'd exclude her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

the only thing i'd possibly change about your list of auto exclusions is the girl who has pictures of them drinking one.

Do you mean that if a girl has even 1 photo from 5 of her sipping a glass of wine at home on a friday evening, you'd exclude her?

Bit silly alright as most photos are taken on special occasion, nights out and holidays. Anyway, a girl would be holding a glass or water/coke etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

or the guy who had a massive erection in his pants every time he saw me

Well at least you can't complain about him not finding you attractive. :pac:

A lot of your stories sound a bit incredulous tbh. If you can't find a half decent guy from that many dates you have to be doing something wrong.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    It's not Hungry Hungry Hippos...

This made me laugh. Bloody brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Hmmm...this is very interesting / weird! A few pages back, I mentioned that I was going to bite the bullet and put a public picture up and re-write my profile. Possibly see if there was a difference in the messages I was getting.

Before:

Initiated contact with around 7 guys with a link to photos in my first email (OKCupid didn't allow for private pics) and the response rate was 5 out of 7. Received a few first contact emails from guys, they were all referencing my profile and quality messages overall I'd have to say.

After:

Initiated 5 contacts referencing their profile etc = 0 replies :( (edit - oh and they've been online since, so it's not that they haven't seen it)
    Lots more emails / profile views, but the length and quality of the messages was waaay down, or looking for ONS, or in the US/UK, or way outside my age range. Only two that I'm currently chatting to.

Now there are only two variables here;

1. Public pictures - I'm using the same pictures as before, so only the fact that they're private versus public.
    2. My profile. I thought my original one was a little waffley, but perhaps that was a good thing. Or my re-write makes me sound a little too dippy! I'm fairly easy going in general but pretty focused and determined in work. As it's not my CV, I was actually fairly honest about my outlook in my personal life.

Not a rant btw! I just found the differences interesting and wanted to see if anyone else found a change with changing their profiles and could shed some light into what's happening?

yeahimhere hard to say. If you had only rewritten or put up a photo it would be easier to tell.

True mood, just curious as to what it is! I prefer the quality over quantity, but just not sure which one is at fault - my profile or pictures. I wish I still had my old profile so I could do a split test or something!

hmmm...

just got profile viewed by what can only be termed as a GILF... A 44 yr old Granny!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

35 today and decided to sign up to POF (late) last night.
    A very nice girl scrolled past so I added her to my favourites and msg'd her. Got a reply saying she was going to bed to to msg her again.
    Sent a kinda jokey msg about the fact that I added her as a favourite but no replies and she has been online since.

Rejection is way easier when you are out and drunk :(

Any profile advice? I have a couple of pics (all public) and a bit of spiel about me but not really sure who Im appealing to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Nearly time for OKC's annual contact a fellow atheist at Christmas e-mail, which is annoying for two reasons, one it reminds me I’m on the site for another year and the other the idea of meeting up to discuss how crap Christmas is seems like a strange way to meet someone.

GreeBo wrote: »
    A very nice girl scrolled past so I added her to my favourites and msg'd her. Got a reply saying she was going to bed to to msg her again.
    Sent a kinda jokey msg about the fact that I added her as a favourite but no replies and she has been online since.

Any profile advice? I have a couple of pics (all public) and a bit of spiel about me but not really sure who Im appealing to...

One HUGE piece of advice is stay away from the sites when beered!!!

Stay away from your computer when beered!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

GreeBo wrote: »

Happy birthday :)
    Profile advice...it might be a good idea to get a friend or someone to have a look.over your profile and the pics you have chosen. I know some pics of me I would think are awful, other people say are lovely. It's hard to be objective about your own photos I think.
    So long as you've filled everything in without writing an essay or long lists of things you like/don't like, I'm sure its grand :)

hmmm...

just got profile viewed by what can only be termed as a GILF... A 44 yr old Granny!!

Are you saying she is a granny because she is 44 or because she actually has grandkids?

mood wrote: »

Are you saying she is a granny because she is 44 or because she actually has grandkids?

Actually has grand kid. Shows one in her pics!

Actually has grand kid. Shows one in her pics!

A very young granny!

mood wrote: »

A very young granny!

Hence the ILF bit!! Hehehe.

Well an GILF is a new one! TIP: Probably wouldn't call her that on your first message though :pac:

• Advertisement

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Well an GILF is a new one! TIP: Probably wouldn't call her that on your first message though :pac:

de prfle z tots txt spk.

there will be no contact from me!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement