Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just read a hilarious profile from a guy makes fun of the common things women put in their profiles...

Are you allowed to copy & paste that kind of thing here, or was there a rule against it? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

id say theres prob a rule against it.

Are you looking to compare:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

id say theres prob a rule against it.

Are you looking to compare:D

I was tempted to put together a similar "list" of clichés a few days ago, but I decided against it. :pac: I hadn't thought of comparing my profile with others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I was tempted to put together a similar "list" of clichés a few days ago, but I decided against it. :pac: I hadn't thought of comparing my profile with others though.

I wouldn't send an email to the guy to ask him out for a date ...but it did make for an interesting read as you realise everybody puts down the same boring ****e..."I'm an easy going person, I like going to comedy and gigs...I like sitting in with a good book (lists 99 authors while snipping st.emilion on a rainy day in front of the fire)...in my spare time I jump out of planes, feed sick children and save wild animals, while my friends would describe me as the next Mary Robinson and my exes an animal in bed. On top of that I've won the Nobel prize for astrophysics and co-authored several Pulitzer prize books with an Oscar thrown in for good measure. Did I mention I went to Nepal and got the ****s. Only email me if you are the CEO of a multinational company, are christian grey, can buy me shoes, while willing to spend 2 hours waiting for me to straighten my hair, apply fake tan and lashings of Mac cosmetics before every date :) must not have baggage, fathered 20 children blah blah blah"

Sorry but I'm sure the profiles go a little something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I wouldn't send an email to the guy to ask him out for a date ...but it did make for an interesting read as you realise everybody puts down the same boring ****e..."I'm an easy going person, I like going to comedy and gigs...I like sitting in with a good book (lists 99 authors while snipping st.emilion on a rainy day in front of the fire)...in my spare time I jump out of planes, feed sick children and save wild animals, while my friends would describe me as the next Mary Robinson and my exes an animal in bed. On top of that I've won the Nobel prize for astrophysics and co-authored several Pulitzer prize books with an Oscar thrown in for good measure. Did I mention I went to Nepal and got the ****s. Only email me if you are the CEO of a multinational company, are christian grey, can buy me shoes, while willing to spend 2 hours waiting for me to straighten my hair, apply fake tan and lashings of Mac cosmetics before every date :) must not have baggage, fathered 20 children blah blah blah"

I am very pleased to say that my profiles never had anything like that on them! Actually, one specifically said that I do NOT jump out of planes. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Eh, speak for yisserselves!

And I have to go back to something I spotted earlier, can't remember who posted it, but I HATE this cliche that sleeping with someone on the first night automatically rules you out. I slept with my husband on the first night; we were together 7 years after that. It's not an automatic deal-breaker and it is not a reflection on either party's moral fibre.

If you read back a few people were saying they can be shy sometimes so that comment was for those people not EVERYONE.

If you also read back one poster was talking about having had 70 first dates and wonders why it not working for her so I suggested not sleeping with them on the first date (which I thought she did but she doesn't). I've a could of male friends who wouldn't consider a women girlfriend material if they slept together the first night... the double standards! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A lot of 'jumpers' on OD. Whether it be planes or bungee jumping in general.
    "Look how outgoing I am, WAHEEE!!!!!"

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    A fairly humourous read, detailing one woman's foray into online dating -

http://www.annalsofonlinedating.com/
    Brillant

Galvasean wrote: »
    A lot of 'jumpers' on OD. Whether it be planes or bungee jumping in general.
    "Look how outgoing I am, WAHEEE!!!!!"
    Bridget jones landing in pig sh'te springs to mind lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Ok this is a new one - got a message from a guy which started with "Please ignore the profile as I'm using a friends [sic]. However the images I've attached are of me."

Of course I got curious and went to check out the profile... and it's full of pure filth in the 'About me' section! I think I need to wash my eyes out after reading it...

Ah online dating, you never fail to surprise a girl in new and horrible ways ;)

• Advertisement

mood wrote: »

If you also read back one poster was talking about having had 70 first dates and wonders why it not working for her so I suggested not sleeping with them on the first date (which I thought she did but she doesn't). I've a could of male friends who wouldn't consider a women girlfriend material if they slept together the first night... the double standards! :rolleyes:
    It's not working because this is just an example of the dates i had:

1 there was the guy who wanted to watch me pooh if we had of met for the 2nd date

2 or the one who said black jeans and top were not sexy enough for date

3 or the guy who spent our whole relationship logging into OD checking other women out

4 or the guy who smelt of dead animals on our date cos he killed pigs for a living

5 or the guy who randomly moved to Belfast but worked in Dublin

6 or the guy who was making dinner for 3 girls in the same week ( after I went on 4 dates with him)...he couldn't decide

7 or the guy who thought my name was too english

8 or the guy who had a massive erection in his pants every time he saw me

9 or the guy who had KFC, got food poisoning and **** the bed

10 or the guy who was only 18

11 or the guy who kissed really bad and never did foreplay

12 or the guy who was constantly stoned

13 or the guy who wanted to spank me and wanted me to send him naughty photos ugh and join an s&m site

14 or the guy who brought his large friend along on each of the 3 dates we had

15 or the guy who sat on the beach all day and sunbathed without saying a word for 4 hours to me...this was after the 1st date he complained about me buying him a pint. As I was drinking a pint too and ladies shouldn't drink that

16 the guy who complained about my pronouciation of TH and how he needed to turn me into a lady...like the movie my fair lady...the cheek

17 the guy who asked if I'd go to a comedy gig but went with someone else

18 the guy who was 45 and dating me and a 21 year old Colombian

19 or the one who just never texted me or arranged dates and left it all up to me

20 the one who insisted I stay at his house for the 2nd date...sorry but no

21 the guy who got back with his ex

22 the guy who flew from Oregon for the 1st date...got free accomm and fed by my family and driven around Ireland...who didn't offer to buy a drink

23 mr.vegetarian for PETA who couldn't keep his clothes on in public

24 the guy who flew over from England..had a nice weekend but long distance

25 the guy who wanted to take me down the lane way and do naughty things

26 the guy who would kiss me...disappear for a few weeks..kiss me and disappear again

27 the one I just don't remember beyond going to a particular bar...the date was so boring

28 the one who didn't have a full head shot photo and when he turned up was bald...plus he worked with boy zone behind the stage

29 the one who was just too quite

30 the American who was just not interested and both of us kept looking at our watches for the date to finish

31 the guy who lived with his mam and never planned to move out

32 the Dutch guy who wanted me to move to holland, get married and have kids after our 4th date when I was 21

33 the guy who was nice but just never kept in contact

34 the guy who went on a holiday and came back married and had a kid with the woman

35 the guy who didn't speak any English and used his friend to translate

36 the guy who pee'd on me

37 the guy who had a nice face in the photo on his profile but when we met in person he was about 20 stone

To name but a few from the top of my head out of the 70 guys...there were others where there was just no Chemistry etc...a lot I still would have been open about meeting again...but looking back I mean come On who asks to watch you sh't on the 2nd date?

Before you say I should have gotten to know them via email before etc I did...some lied..some acted ok but then completely changed. Some are still definitely single and I know why. This is after deleting the emails with cock photos etc...so there was a lot of cutting down to the final selection out of 100s of emails. I'd say out of the 70 guys I went on I must have read at least 4000 emails

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

It's not working because I've never met a normal guy via OD.

1 there was the guy who wanted to watch me pooh if we had of met for the 2nd date

2 or the one who said black jeans and top were not sexy enough for date

3 or the guy who spent our whole relationship logging into OD checking other women out

4 or the guy who smelt of dead animals on our date cos he killed pigs for a living

5 or the guy who randomly moved to Belfast but worked in Dublin

6 or the guy who was making dinner for 3 girls in the same week ( after I went on 4 dates with him)...he couldn't decide

7 or the guy who thought my name was too english

8 or the guy who had a massive erection in his pants every time he saw me

9 or the guy who had KFC, got food poisoning and **** the bed

10 or the guy who was only 18

11 or the guy who kissed really bad and never did foreplay

12 or the guy who was constantly stoned

13 or the guy who wanted to spank me and wanted me to send him naughty photos ugh and join an s&m site

14 or the guy who brought his large friend along on each of the 3 dates we had

15 or the guy who sat on the beach all day and sunbathed without saying a word for 4 hours to me...this was after the 1st date he complained about me buying him a pint. As I was drinking a pint too and ladies shouldn't drink that

16 the guy who complained about my pronouciation of TH and how he needed to turn me into a lady...like the movie my fair lady...the cheek

17 the guy who asked if I'd go to a comedy gig but went with someone else

18 the guy who was 45 and dating me and a 21 year old Colombian

19 or the one who just never texted me or arranged dates and left it all up to me

20 the one who insisted I stay at his house for the 2nd date...sorry but no

21 the guy who got back with his ex

22 the guy who flew from Oregon for the 1st date...got free accomm and fed by my family and driven around Ireland...who didn't offer to buy a drink

23 mr.vegetarian for PETA who couldn't keep his clothes on in public

24 the guy who flew over from England..had a nice weekend but long distance

25 the guy who wanted to take me down the lane way and do naughty things

26 the guy who would kiss me...disappear for a few weeks..kiss me and disappear again

27 the one I just don't remember beyond going to a particular bar...the date was so boring

28 the one who didn't have a full head shot photo and when he turned up was bald...plus he worked with boy zone behind the stage

29 the one who was just too quite

30 the American who was just not interested and both of us kept looking at our watches for the date to finish

31 the guy who lived with his mam and never planned to move out

32 the Dutch guy who wanted me to move to holland, get married and have kids after our 4th date when I was 21

33 the guy who was nice but just never kept in contact

34 the guy who went on a holiday and came back married and had a kid with the woman

35 the guy who didn't speak any English and used his friend to translate

36 the guy who pee'd in me

To name but a few from the top of my head out of the 70 guys...there were others where there was just no Chemistry etc...a lot I still would have been open about meeting again...but looking back I mean come On who asks to watch you **** on the 2ns date?

maybe you just attract weirdo's?

you've listed off 35 bad dates/lads there, and 1 lad who didn't keep in contact. Maybe you need to be a bit more selective about who you see.

maybe you just attract weirdo's?

you've listed off 35 bad dates/lads there, and 1 lad who didn't keep in contact. Maybe you need to be a bit more selective about who you see.
    LOl...you are serious? I must delete 100 emails before replying to one guy and deciding to go on a 1st date...I guarantee I'm very selective...just honest about my experience.

On a positive side...no I'm not attracted to weirdo's as I didn't go out with the majority (say 95%) of them. I'm still single and I know why...is rather be then go out with a guy who wants to pee on me lol

LOl...you are serious? I must delete 100 emails before replying to one guy and deciding to go on a 1st date...I guarantee I'm very selective...just honest about my experience.

Hows about not deleting those 100 mails and giving one of those lads a chance? You don't seem to be doing very well using your normal selection criteria.

Hows about not deleting those 100 mails and giving one of those lads a chance? You don't seem to be doing very well using your normal selection criteria.
    Well you see where giving the other guys a chance got me...honestly give the cock photo guy a chance??? I don't think so. God knows how that date would go.

Well you see where giving the other guys a chance got me...honestly give the cock photo guy a chance??? I don't think so. God knows how that date would go.

surely not every mail you get is a dick pic?

There have to be some that you just dismiss out of hand, that are normal blokes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Magneticimpulse, you poor thing! I have had my share of oddball dates and messages even though I am very selective about who I meet. Luckily for me I tend to more or less forget them after having a good laugh about it with my friends. Looks like you have a far better memory (unfortunately in this case! :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

What do lot make of the "wants a date but nothing serious" status on POF ? Due to meet someone tonight but this is a little off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

KTRIC wrote: »
    What do lot make of the "wants a date but nothing serious" status on POF ? Due to meet someone tonight but this is a little off putting.

I wouldn't be put off at all. Consensus is that people find "actively looking for a relationship" a bit intense, so use that instead.

It's what I had on my POF profile, because I didn't want anything serious. But if there was an addendum that went something along the lines of "But open to being convinced otherwise", I'd have used it.

I wouldn't be put off at all. Consensus is that people find "actively looking for a relationship" a bit intense, so use that instead.

It's what I had on my POF profile, because I didn't want anything serious. But if there was an addendum that went something along the lines of "But open to being convinced otherwise", I'd have used it.

I have an addendum similar to that in my POF blurb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I think some people are really unlucky with OD, I've known people who met their partner on their first date in the OD world but I also know others who have been on OD a very long time and you can get stuck in a rut when that happens.
    From my own experience, I met a lot of guys, in quick concession when u first joined OD and unfortunately none turned out to be promising, for that reason I left OD as I didn't want my life to become consumed with first date after first date etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Any thoughts on letting a friend shortlist your messages or people you should contact? The question is if you can really be objective about who you are compatible with?

I think about a close friend who continuously finds the worst possible women to date and it's like a big surprise every time things go badly:rolleyes:

miamee wrote: »
    Magneticimpulse, you poor thing! I have had my share of oddball dates and messages even though I am very selective about who I meet. Luckily for me I tend to more or less forget them after having a good laugh about it with my friends. Looks like you have a far better memory (unfortunately in this case! :eek:)
    Ah yeah I forgot about the other 40 guys...just the extreme odd ones stand out.

As for being selective. No they are not all cock photos. I do not reply to guys who have photos of themselves in mirrors, no top on and a 6 pack showing, etc. Smokers etc. there Are just a lot of profiles and you look at them and think that the guy would not be a good match. I don't have to justify being selective...why would I want to waste my time and go on a date with a guy who is really outgoing..loves downing shots with the lads? Etc if I'm really reserved etc.

At my age I know my type....I get on with sciency people in my case...the awful dates were not sciency guys mind you.

. I've no problem with my profile as I get the emails etc. it's just you can't find everything out about a person until you meet them in real life and I do meet them. I might go 4 months or so until I decide to go out on a date or I might have 1 date each week. Either way I'm enjoying being single

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As for being selective. No they are not all cock photos. I do not reply to guys who have photos of themselves in mirrors, no top on and a 6 pack showing, etc. Smokers etc. there Are just a lot of profiles and you look at them and think that the guy would not be a good match. I don't have to justify being selective...why would I want to waste my time and go on a date with a guy who is really outgoing..loves downing shots with the lads? Etc if I'm really reserved etc.

At my age I know my type....I get on with sciency people in my case...the awful dates were not sciency guys mind you.

. I've no problem with my profile as I get the emails etc. it's just you can't find everything out about a person until you meet them in real life and I do meet them. I might go 4 months or so until I decide to go out on a date or I might have 1 date each week. Either way I'm enjoying being single
    I know, sometimes I think am I being too dismissive of people and not giving them a chance? Then you go on a date against your better judgement with someone you normally wouldn't and that's when the oddball dates seem to happen (to me anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well, I had a nice date yesterday. Hopefully seeing him again. (feel like I'm jinxing it now by posting this!)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I would have said online dating sites would be the last place you'd want to go to find science-y type guys!

You'd prob have more luck finding them at events and meet-ups in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

riveratom wrote: »
    I would have said online dating sites would be the last place you'd want to go to find science-y type guys!

You'd prob have more luck finding them at events and meet-ups in the real world.

You'd be surprised, OKC in particular is full of them. I attract a lot of them thanks to my geektastic username.

You'd be surprised, OKC in particular is full of them. I attract a lot of them thanks to my geektastic username.

+1 the last guy I went out with was a (self-confessed) science nerd and I met him on OKC :)

riveratom wrote: »

Yeah that's what I'm doing...although the post grad students are too young for me ( I don't rule them out). The professors are normally married. But honestly I do get a lot more out of such events as I meet like minded people even if they are just friends.

• Advertisement

Then we have dated the same guys...as I've scooped up any sciency guy on OD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement