Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Weekly LIVE iMPACT Wrestling Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wouldnt wrestling always use fake money for stuff like that? Would be a massive and stupid risk to use real money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Wouldnt wrestling always use fake money for stuff like that? Would be a massive and stupid risk to use real money.

Sure but at least have real notes on top.

Believe it is the least of Impacts problems.

It's too straight and neat looking, but otherwise I dont see an issue with it. Crumple it up a bit and it would be fine in my eyes.

What was that from anyway? Havent watched it since I seen the spoilers had MVP turning heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

June 4th will mark ten years since the debut of iMPACT!, a pretty impressive achievement by any measure. Looking at the spoilers they do nothing at all to mark it in any meaningful way. Here's the first ever iMPACT!, which was a decent enough show:

Great Muta will be appearing on the June 25th TV taping in New York, which could be the Destination X taping with Sanada getting his title shot.

• Advertisement

Seems a bit of a waste to have Sanada get the title match. He has no chance of winning.

Seems a bit of a waste to have Sanada get the title match. He has no chance of winning.

I would've said Chris Sabin had no chance of winning last year. And I was extremely surprised Aries beat Bobby Roode. And Eric Young is the World champion.

Muta's enjoyable six man tag from Lockdown (also notable for being Bad Influence (together) and Sabin's last appearances):

I would've said Chris Sabin had no chance of winning last year. And I was extremely surprised Aries beat Bobby Roode. And Eric Young is the World champion.

I thought Sabin had a small chance. Would have been more confidant if he was against Roode as they had history the summer before with Aries' cash in when Sabin was still injured.

Aries I felt had a pretty good chance as soon as it was announced.

It's a shame that in only two years we have gone from Bobby Roode and Austin Aries as the top guys to Eric Young (at the time probably Knockouts tag champ) and probably Sanada.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is Rebel stealing Miss Tessmacher's shorts?

• Advertisement

This site is back up:
    http://taimapedia.org/index.php?title=LOLTNA_History
    On May 29th, relative newcomer to the Knockouts division, Brittany, cut a whiny promo on Madison Rayne, during which she strongly implied that she was a lesbian and had feelings for Madison. Absolutely zero build towards this was given, not in any of the prior Impacts or the two segments and match that took place before the promo.

Wrestling is low brow entertainment and other promotions have form for doing the same thing but TNA treating Lesbianism as a mental illness/transferable disease in 2014 is kind of sad.

Zero build? I wouldn't usually defend TNA storylines, but she's been annoying Madison for a while now. Wasn't quite Mickie/Trish levels of obssessiveness but she was aways trying to team with her, including in that very episode.

What's sad is the fact that if TNA do it it is automatically horrible. If anyone else did it, they would be given a fair chance. People just like to complain about everything TNA do it seems.

What's sad is the fact that if TNA do it it is automatically horrible. If anyone else did it, they would be given a fair chance. People just like to complain about everything TNA do it seems.

I do try.

TNA have gotten around to WWE 2006 when it comes to lifting stories. No ideas for AJ Styles so let's just copy the CM Punk 2011 thing. No idea how to put the World title on Eric Young so let's copy Daniel Bryan's win. Nothing for Brittany, that Mickie James/Trish Stratus thing was great wasn't it?

Robbie E and Brooke Tessmacher will be a team on the next season of The Amazing Race. I hope Robbie does the show in character.

While Robbie T and new Brooke are part of a team in TNA at the minute. :)

TNA have gotten around to WWE 2006 when it comes to lifting stories. No ideas for AJ Styles so let's just copy the CM Punk 2011 thing. No idea how to put the World title on Eric Young so let's copy Daniel Bryan's win. Nothing for Brittany, that Mickie James/Trish Stratus thing was great wasn't it?

Those were hardly invented by WWE. Almost everything in wrestling is a copy of something else done previously.

There's using broad ideas which is fine, and then there's copying things move for move which most certainly isn't.

There's using broad ideas which is fine, and then there's copying things move for move which most certainly isn't.

What's move for move?

The Styles leaving with the belt thing was far closer to ROH's version (which WWE stole but almost never gets mentioned) than WWE's version.

The Eric Young title win has been done hundreds of times. The only similar it is they both are babyfaces with beards.

The Britany/Madison stuff isn't anywhere close to what Mickie and Trish did either.

You seem to just like to piss on everything these days.

• Advertisement

Eric Young wrestled twice in the same night, injured his arm but still went on to win the World title - the very same week Bryan did. Even the video package they did at Sacrifice was similar to the Bryan video. AJ cut his pipebomb promo on Dixie Carter going on to win the World title and leave the company with the title before returning for a champion vs. champion match. Both are literally the exact same angle copy and pasted. It's too early to tell whether the Brittany/Madison angle will be a direct lift of the 2006 story (bar the basic set up which is) but realistically there aren't many ways they can go with it besides that.

And again I "piss on" the show because the last few weeks have been one of the worst stretches of TV TNA have ever produced at a time when the company is in deep trouble.

Funny how it never gets brought up when it happens the other way. Abyss takes off the mask and starts wearing a suit. Kane takes off the mask and starts wearing a suit. Abyss goes back to being a monster. Kane goes back to being a monster. Abyss gets a title feud. Kane gets a title feud.

But nope, only TNA ever copy. WWE create everything else.

Abyss didn't get a title feud, he got a title match (a match designed more to try and give EY credibility after randomly giving him the title rather than doing anything for Abyss). Corporate Kane is no doubt inspired by Joe Park but not a direct rip off (Joe Park split identity non-wrestler, Kane just randomly aligning with the authority). It does often happen the other way but not usually as blatantly or comprehensively.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Funny how it never gets brought up when it happens the other way. Abyss takes off the mask and starts wearing a suit. Kane takes off the mask and starts wearing a suit. Abyss goes back to being a monster. Kane goes back to being a monster. Abyss gets a title feud. Kane gets a title feud.

But nope, only TNA ever copy. WWE create everything else.

If TNA copied and improved upon WWE angles then I dont think anyone would have any issue with them.

To be honest I tried to watch TNA recently after a long time of not viewing it and in doing so tried to do so with clear eyes. I was hugely dissapointed with the vast majority of what I saw and even Angles like the above supposed Mickie/Trish rip off I didnt watch tghinking of as a copy but just watched and thought what is this sh!t cos perhaps its just my isolated opinion (doubt it tbh) but I thought it was terrible. Not saying WWE isn't terrible at times too instead im just not comparing the 2 and focusing on TNA which has not been good sadly

If TNA copied and improved upon WWE angles then I dont think anyone would have any issue with them.

To be honest I tried to watch TNA recently after a long time of not viewing it and in doing so tried to do so with clear eyes. I was hugely dissapointed with the vast majority of what I saw and even Angles like the above supposed Mickie/Trish rip off I didnt watch tghinking of as a copy but just watched and thought what is this sh!t cos perhaps its just my isolated opinion (doubt it tbh) but I thought it was terrible. Not saying WWE isn't terrible at times too instead im just not comparing the 2 and focusing on TNA which has not been good sadly

No denying the product has sucked lately. I have no issue with anyone saying that. I do however have an issue with people complaining that TNA have ripped off WWE while ignoring the fact that almost everything today is ripped off of somebody else. There are very very few completely new things in wrestling.

Like I said with Abyss and Kane. If it were the other way around, it wouldn't be mentioned. Another thing is TNA building towards a champion vs champion match (technically ROH were doing it first) then WWE randomly decides to do the same. But of course, it isn't mentioned. If WWE did it first, you can guarantee it would never stop being mentioned.

Last night's show made John Pollock and Wai Ting contemplate no longer covering the show and Bryan and Vinny on F4WOnline boycotting IMPACT for a month.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

rovert wrote: »
    TNA treating Lesbianism as a mental illness/transferable disease in 2014 is kind of sad.

What?! :eek: Jesus Christ. That sounds horrendous, I don't believe it! I need to watch impact.

That's exactly the thing. I don't mind either copying off the other if it has some kind of original slant or is actually done well. I don't think anyone gives WWE guff for stealing from TNA as it's likely WWE higher ups don't watch impact (maybe creative do), but it's painfully obvious Dixie and Co scrutinise WWE television and base some promos off it ("beards were mine first!" etc). The "we're competition please notice us" cute jabs are just embarrassing and low rent.

In any case I think giving out about ripping off is really a screen for "this angle sucks" which is the actual problem. Nothing's really original and that's fine as long as it's done well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

No denying the product has sucked lately. I have no issue with anyone saying that. I do however have an issue with people complaining that TNA have ripped off WWE while ignoring the fact that almost everything today is ripped off of somebody else. There are very very few completely new things in wrestling.

Like I said with Abyss and Kane. If it were the other way around, it wouldn't be mentioned. Another thing is TNA building towards a champion vs champion match (technically ROH were doing it first) then WWE randomly decides to do the same. But of course, it isn't mentioned. If WWE did it first, you can guarantee it would never stop being mentioned.

Your probably right in some ways as Im sure if more people watched TNA then more would note when they do something original and someone else copies it. Most things can be claimed to be a re-hash of something else these days anyway but don't get dragged down with the ship gnfnrhead cos in many ways i'd agree with Jayk (he is agreeing with me afterall :pac:) that all the copy / ripping off talk is simply another way for people to complain about the poor quality of the writing and as said before if it was better nobody would give two sh!ts but its not as you seem to admit yourself it's sucked lately. I'm very rarely willing to write off a show but they need to change something fast as its been getting worsse and worse, losing more and more talent and no doubt viewers with that too, next will be the hardcore fans if they don't improve, folk like yourself and Machismo

Your probably right in some ways as Im sure if more people watched TNA then more would note when they do something original and someone else copies it. Most things can be claimed to be a re-hash of something else these days anyway but don't get dragged down with the ship gnfnrhead cos in many ways i'd agree with Jayk (he is agreeing with me afterall :pac:) that all the copy / ripping off talk is simply another way for people to complain about the poor quality of the writing and as said before if it was better nobody would give two sh!ts but its not as you seem to admit yourself it's sucked lately. I'm very rarely willing to write off a show but they need to change something fast as its been getting worsse and worse, losing more and more talent and no doubt viewers with that too, next will be the hardcore fans if they don't improve, folk like yourself and Machismo

I don't buy that it is simply down to quality. The Styles stuff was very well done but yet people did nothing but complain and claim they were ripping off WWE (who in turn ripped off ROH and I'm sure someone else did it before them). Usually it was people who don't even watch the show on a regular basis doing the complaining. A lot of people have the LOLTNA mindset and refuse to give any credit whatsoever and only focus on the negatives.

On your last point, I haven't watched since Sacrifice. When I read the spoilers that had MVP turning heel, I lost interest. Again. I already think the authority figure idea is over done (as I took the piss with on my first BWE show :pac:), but especially the evil/heel authority figure. An authority figure has far more impact when they aren't all over the show every week. Look at WWE for example. If they advertised an announcement next week, who would have more impact by being advertised as making it. Triple H or Vince? Easily Vince because he only shows up when it is something big. Triple H is just another guy because he is featured every single week. I'm rambling a little so....

I've actually stopped watching several times in the last few years and I can pinpoint when it all went wrong for me. I've spoken about it before and I think most know my feelings. I never missed a show before Hulk Hogan came along. Before that, TNA were taking small steps in the right direction. Likely never would have gotten close to WWE but would have been the clear cut number two promotion before Hogan turned the company in the complete opposite direction. This is my third, maybe even fourth, time to stop watching since then. Again, I never missed a show before then and wouldn't even go on any forum before I had seen the latest show so I wouldn't accidentally spoil something.

• Advertisement

Bryan signing off from reviewing TNA:
    From todays Figure 4 Weekly
    "Fare thee well for the time being, Impact
    by Bryan Alvarez
    I was thinking about this, and I don't believe that in the 19 years I've been writing this newsletter I have ever boycotted a television program because it sucked so goddamned bad. That changed this week.

After all these years, TNA Impact finally broke me. The show on Thursday night was up there with the worst pro-wrestling programs I've ever seen in my life. It might have been the worst. Maybe, top-to-bottom, objectively there has a worse show historically. But no show ever caused me to command a one-month (at the moment) boycott before, so I think the evidence is in that this was the worst pro-wrestling show I've ever seen.

I don't care if this is "my job," or if people want me to watch it and suffer through it so that they don't have to. I don't care. At the end of the day, while it is my job, it's also my company, so I can make my own decisions, and my decision is that I am not watching Impact for at least one full month.

I had considered watching the PPV next Sunday since a PPV is more important than television, but come on now. No one is buying this PPV, and the idea that I'm going to have to pay $34.95 for it is reason enough to skip it. I'll be 39 years old when that show airs. I don't need this in my life. There is plenty of actual pro-wrestling to watch.
    The more I think about it, the less guilty I feel about not watching this product. Even if one were to argue that this is "my job," technically my job is to watch all the major pro-wrestling shows on US television, and you know what? At this point it is tough for me to classify Impact as a pro-wrestling television show. I don't know what the hell it even is. It's a variety show that features people fighting, only part of which actually takes place in a pro-wrestling ring, and none of which anyone could possibly care about because the majority of the characters are so completely unlikeable, and the **** they do makes no sense.

I read an article on why it's tough for the people writing Impact. It was written by Vince Russo. Yeah. So, as one would expect, it was filled with 9 million bull**** excuses. I liked the one about how the building at Universal Studios is not a good building for wrestling because so many tourists show up. I was unaware that pro-wrestling fans were restricted from attending. That's like saying the crowd at Full Sail University for NXT sucks because only college kids go. Except it appears plenty of wrestling fans manage to attend at Full Sail, plus the NXT crowds almost never suck. It is ironic, because Russo claimed that the crowd sucked because sometimes Impact had to tape one and a half shows per taping. Last time I checked NXT taped four shows per taping. They seem to be doing all right. Come to think of it, they're doing great.
    Russo claimed it was tough because you had to balance everything out to make sure people weren't involved in too many segments on a particular show. I nearly pissed my pants reading that. I saw EIGHT STRAIGHT SEGMENTS involving talking on Thursday night. EIGHT. You can read Vinny's review, but I think I saw MVP in at least five different segments on one show. Maybe ten. I lost track.

Russo had his usual litany of excuses. At the end of the day, it all boils down to this: the show sucks. Everything about it sucks, with the exception of some talented people who actually try to have good matches. There is zero understanding of what pro-wrestling is or why people—live or on television—would want to watch the show. They have no idea how to build interest in any of the matches or feuds, they have no idea how to pace a show, they have no idea how to make characters likeable or dislikeable. Russo ranted about fact vs. opinion. This is not opinion. This is fact. The quarter-hour ratings plunging throughout the show is an embarrassment. The buyrates are an embarrassment even compared to THEIR OWN BUYRATES several years ago, and they are ONE-TENTH what they were getting during their peak (60,000 for two Joe vs. Angle matches). Their house show attendance is an embarrassment. This is not fact vs. opinion. What they're presenting is not what people want to see. And don't even get me into the MVP vs. Dixie Carter storyline. I'm pretty sure this is the only storyline I've ever seen in my entire life where there is no way more than one single solitary person (Dixie Carter) could possible care about it. To think this worst Impact ever went off the air with the tease that the Dixie vs. MVP war was going to escalate. Who gives a ****? As a viewer, I hate them both. Two heel factions, two completely unlikeable groups of people, WHO LARGELY DO NOTHING BUT TALK TO EACH OTHER INCESSANTLY ABOUT **** NOBODY CARES ABOUT, are going to war, and I'm supposed to care. LOL.

I have better things to do. You should too. It's summertime. Enjoy the cool Thursday night air. Read a good book. Chat with your loved ones, enjoy a light meal. But don't watch this show. "

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/27igc6/tna_impact_wrestling_finally_broke_bryan_alvarez/

Advertisement