Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Weekly LIVE iMPACT Wrestling Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

rovert wrote: »
    Raw has been pretty good lately. Also Raw has Wrestling on it and it isn't over written.

You must be watching a different show. 9/10 weeks it is awful. If it wasnt for Wrestlemania I wouldnt even bother watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The big worry is the Spike contracts. Everything else is (very) slowly being put right in my book.

if i had a euro for everyone that said that this past decade :P
    You must be watching a different show. 9/10 weeks it is awful. If it wasnt for Wrestlemania I wouldnt even bother watching.

public at large disagree with you and think impacts been far worse. while raw so far in 2014 hasn't been as good as it was in 2013 clearly 9/10 being awful is hyperbole http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&view=tvppv&sortby=colRating&sorttype=DESC

in terms of wrestling raw blows impact away week after week. nothing on impact has come close to the cesaro vs cena match or wyatts vs shield. in terms of building towards money matches raw also blows impact away week after week..the build for the first wyatt and shield encounter or bryan/hhh different level to anything tna put out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Yeah TNA hasn't had a landmark match or moment in about 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Yeah Wrestling hasn't had a landmark match or moment in about 10 years.

Fyp

rossie1977 wrote: »
    if i had a euro for everyone that said that this past decade :P

If I had a Euro for every person who just complains for the sake of it, I'd have more money than Vince McMahon :P
    public at large disagree with you and think impacts been far worse. while raw so far in 2014 hasn't been as good as it was in 2013 clearly 9/10 being awful is hyperbole, then again you thought mitb 2011 was a 6 out of 10 show.. http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&view=tvppv&sortby=colRating&sorttype=DESC

in terms of wrestling raw blows impact away week after week. nothing on impact has come close to the cesaro vs cena match or wyatts vs shield. in terms of building towards money matches raw also blows impact away week after week..the build for the first wyatt and shield encounter or bryan/hhh different level to anything tna put out.

The public at large dont watch it every week. The vast majority of the loltna brigade watched once three or four years ago and assume everything is the exact same. The correct term for those people is retards.

More often than not, Raw is boring as hell. Bar Triple H/Daniel Bryan on Monday, what can you instantly remember from Raw? It's completely forgettable nowadays. That's my problem with Raw now. Three hours and it is mostly boring filler.

As for MITB 2011, I rated it based on the entire show rather than just the main event. So basically, I rated the show rather than a single match.

For the wrestling, Raw had the same problem before they got the extra hour. With two hours you have to squeeze in as much as you can which unfortunately means the wrestling often has to suffer. WWE have the help of several other shows every week which is why I was saying TNA should make better use of Xplosion. That extra hour would allow more talent to be showcased while also giving the matches some extra time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Yeah TNA hasn't had a landmark match or moment in about 3 years.

Last landmark moment was probably the Hogan face turn at BFG '11, last match was probably Guns/Beer Money in August 2010 (though saying that TNA had a very good 2012 overall). It really hasn't been a great time for TNA.
    WWE have the help of several other shows every week which is why I was saying TNA should make better use of Xplosion. That extra hour would allow more talent to be showcased while also giving the matches some extra time.

TNA need to make much better use of their two hours prime time before they think of using or getting anything else (ideally starting by cutting out the millions of pointless backstage segments and cutting out the same people appearing three or four times on the same show). Especially using a syndicated show that nobody watches and isn't available in the US.

Angelina Love vs. Madison Rayne and Storm vs. Gunner Unlocked is set for iMPACT! this week. Unlocked basically means a Falls Count Anywhere match. Isn't silly match names another Russo specialty?

Angelina Love vs. Madison Rayne and Storm vs. Gunner Unlocked is set for iMPACT! this week. Unlocked basically means a Falls Count Anywhere match. Isn't silly match names another Russo specialty?

My understanding is because it's a Lockdown rematch but without the being locked in a cage, hence Unlocked.

TNA need to make much better use of their two hours prime time before they think of using or getting anything else (ideally starting by cutting out the millions of pointless backstage segments and cutting out the same people appearing three or four times on the same show). Especially using a syndicated show that nobody watches and isn't available in the US.

Only seeing this now.

They already record a random match and extras specifically for it. It already airs internationally so stick it on the website or YouTube for the Americans. Easy. They have it, so why not use it?

Only seeing this now.

They already record a random match and extras specifically for it. It already airs internationally so stick it on the website or YouTube for the Americans. Easy. They have it, so why not use it?

They have it because Challenge pay them for it and it costs them very little to tape an extra match per taping and do a Spin Cycle. Don't put the cart before the horse is what I'm saying, get the most out of iMPACT! first - especially considering how few people actually watch Xplosion. There's no reason why they couldn't have presented nearly the exact same show on Thursday while giving everything the time that was needed. Other than extremely inefficient use of TV time.
    My understanding is because it's a Lockdown rematch but without the being locked in a cage, hence Unlocked.

Which is kind of a silly hook for a match. This one isn't in a cage!

• Advertisement

They have it because Challenge pay them for it and it costs them very little to tape an extra match per taping and do a Spin Cycle. Don't put the cart before the horse is what I'm saying, get the most out of iMPACT! first - especially considering how few people actually watch Xplosion. There's no reason why they couldn't have presented nearly the exact same show on Thursday while giving everything the time that was needed. Other than extremely inefficient use of TV time.

Take Raw as an example. When they had two hours it was fine. As soon as it went to three, suddenly the matches got a lot more time. Nobody wants another three hour show so use Xplosion as the third hour for all the less important stuff, freeing up time on Impact for all the more important stuff.

Doing it at the same taping would cost them the exact same. It would be an extra half hour. Xplosion takes that time anyway. The only extra involved would be taking a few minutes to upload it to YouTube and put it on the website.
    Which is kind of a silly hook for a match. This one isn't in a cage!

Being out of the cage is the unlocked part. At least thats my take on it. Could be way off :pac:

Take Raw as an example. When they had two hours it was fine. As soon as it went to three, suddenly the matches got a lot more time. Nobody wants another three hour show so use Xplosion as the third hour for all the less important stuff, freeing up time on Impact for all the more important stuff.

Doing it at the same taping would cost them the exact same. It would be an extra half hour. Xplosion takes that time anyway.

I guarantee you that if iMPACT! went say three hours (or two and an Xplosion) that'd just give them time for more skits. The same stuff was said when iMPACT! moved from one hour to two (and I remember being so excited at the time about how there'd be so much more time for everything and that everything would get the time it needed) but it didn't happen. As I said just rework this weeks show (iMPACT! minus ads is generally about ~85 minutes):

85 mins
    Lashley vs. EC3 – 10 mins
    Gunner and Storm – 8 + 5 minutes Reaction
    Tapa vs. Gail - 6 Minutes
    Beautiful People – 8 Minutes
    Tag Title Match – 15 Minutes
    World Title Match – 20 Minutes

That comes to 72 minutes and achieves the same thing (I took out the Abyss/EY stuff because that was pointless but hey, there's time so throw it back in). Exact same plot points hit, exact same thing achieved - done in a much more efficient manner giving everything time with time to spare. I honestly don't know where the time goes on this show (well I do, countless skits and backstage promos that do nothing). There was no need for any of the MVP and Abyss stuff, surely the appeal of a World title match on TV (which in theory should be the biggest thing you can put out on TV) should be enough. Much of what happens on this show is just overwriting for the sake of it.
    Being out of the cage is the unlocked part. At least thats my take on it. Could be way off :pac:

Oh I get the logic behind the name (aside from that they never explained what an Unlocked match actually meant on TV, or why they couldn't just say that it's a Falls Count Anywhere match) but it's usually the opposite of the way you build a feud. Usually you do a singles match and then the big hook is that it escalates to a cage match. Here it's "You've seen them inside a steel cage, now see them have a regular match!".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Oh I get the logic behind the name (aside from that they never explained what an Unlocked match actually meant on TV, or why they couldn't just say that it's a Falls Count Anywhere match) but it's usually the opposite of the way you build a feud. Usually you do a singles match and then the big hook is that it escalates to a cage match. Here it's "You've seen them inside a steel cage, now see them have a regular match!".

Why do you watch TNA or do you?,If you have been watching the product you would not be complaining especially after the improvements made in such a short period of time.

Why do you watch TNA or do you?,If you have been watching the product you would not be complaining especially after the improvements made in such a short period of time.

I haven't missed an iMPACT! in over seven years (and I'm currently two years into rewatching every iMPACT! ever, just watched March 4th, 2006 today). And I watch in the hopes the show improves (and sometimes it does, late 2011 - mid 2012 iMPACT! was generally a great show, then Aces and 8s came along and steadily sapped the life out of everything and trampled over all the progress made).

I guarantee you that if iMPACT! went say three hours (or two and an Xplosion) that'd just give them time for more skits. The same stuff was said when iMPACT! moved from one hour to two (and I remember being so excited at the time about how there'd be so much more time for everything and that everything would get the time it needed) but it didn't happen. As I said just rework this weeks show (iMPACT! minus ads is generally about ~85 minutes):

85 mins
    Lashley vs. EC3 – 10 mins
    Gunner and Storm – 8 + 5 minutes Reaction
    Tapa vs. Gail - 6 Minutes
    Beautiful People – 8 Minutes
    Tag Title Match – 15 Minutes
    World Title Match – 20 Minutes

That comes to 72 minutes and achieves the same thing (I took out the Abyss/EY stuff because that was pointless but hey, there's time so throw it back in). Exact same plot points hit, exact same thing achieved - done in a much more efficient manner giving everything time with time to spare. I honestly don't know where the time goes on this show (well I do, countless skits and backstage promos that do nothing). There was no need for any of the MVP and Abyss stuff, surely the appeal of a World title match on TV (which in theory should be the biggest thing you can put out on TV) should be enough. Much of what happens on this show is just overwriting for the sake of it.

Problem with that is that's not the type of programming TNA do. Unfortunately they have followed the WWE template for Sports Entertainment, meaning the backstage segments. In an ideal world, that is what would happen but TNA are a Sports Entertainment company these days. Something I dont see changing while Dixie Carter is in charge.

Guess you could spin it that they are now fighting without the confines of a steel cage?

It has gotten to the point people are asking Machismo Fan of all people why does he watch. Jaysus dem some dark days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If I had a Euro for every person who just complains for the sake of it, I'd have more money than Vince McMahon :P

i was one of the biggest supporters of tna on here in 2007-08 (go back and look at my posts). i admit flah was right at the time and i was wrong looking back :pac:

the problems tna had they still have and will continue to have in the future so nothing is slowly being put right. they haven't created a star in 12 years and this business lives and dies on starpower. they killed their own ppv business so now you have a double whammy ie no big events to look forward to and no big match ups in the future.

whats the biggest possible money match tna could put on in the future that will draw fans to the product??

The public at large dont watch it every week. The vast majority of the loltna brigade watched once three or four years ago and assume everything is the exact same. The correct term for those people is retards.

people at cagematch watch every week and vote and comment. its a good site to get a cross-section of fan opinion on wwe/tna/roh/new japan rather than hardcore fans of a single product.
    More often than not, Raw is boring as hell. Bar Triple H/Daniel Bryan on Monday, what can you instantly remember from Raw? It's completely forgettable nowadays. That's my problem with Raw now. Three hours and it is mostly boring filler.

hhh putting himself into the title match at mania if he should win, shield turning face, orton vs bryan match

WWE have the help of several other shows every week which is why I was saying TNA should make better use of Xplosion. That extra hour would allow more talent to be showcased while also giving the matches some extra time.

wwe have been moving towards a more in-ring based product for a while now, tna are moving futher away. would take a big shift in the mindset of creative there to fill 3 hours with longer matches rather than more skits. we got 7 talking segments in a row this past thursday. 3 weeks ago we had one match in the first 75 minutes of impact. even those "free ppvs" were dominated by skits and talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Jeff Hardy's "alter ego" Willow is just ... well so weird. That promo with MVP was just sad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Have to say i loved the Gunner/Storm segment and Gunner seems to be fairly over with the crowd.

Can see Velvet Sky eventually turning heel on Madison and making the BP fully heel and not just Angelina .

I already miss Joe Park ha.

Yea didnt feel the 3 way tag match jelled well but think we need to give Sanata and Tigre time to get used to the american still.

Delighted Tapa is gone though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

10151288_10152127525341026_171334440_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Going by what I heard I will have to torment myself with this over the weekend.

Having Gunner's Dad in the audience in random matches as the show takes from out of sequence matches is WCW Thunder stuff.

There has to be humour in the EC3 and Spud True Detective stuff too.

The Storm vs Gunner match was very good. Probably because it was the only one that got a decent amount of time. Madison vs Angelina wasnt bad but it was obvious what was going to happen before it even started. It was just a case of when. Show should have ended after the Gunner vs Storm match. The final Willow segment should have been done before it. The layout in general was bad. Hardly any matches in the first hour and then they all get thrown into the second.

Noticed something when EC3 was talking. Kurt Angle once again hasnt been missed at all. As soon as he is healed up, have him job to everyone on the way out. Even though he isnt missed, a victory over him still means quite a bit.

Next week's show looks fairly stacked. Magnus vs Joe vs Abyss vs Eric Young, Willow and Bully Ray (not sure why they are suddenly friends) vs Roode and Carter, Anderson vs Shaw in a needless gimmick match, Beautiful People vs Madison plus a partner who will probably be Brittany, and Sanada vs Uno in the start of a best of three match for the X-Division title.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The Storm vs Gunner match was very good. Probably because it was the only one that got a decent amount of time. Madison vs Angelina wasnt bad but it was obvious what was going to happen before it even started. It was just a case of when. Show should have ended after the Gunner vs Storm match. The final Willow segment should have been done before it. The layout in general was bad. Hardly any matches in the first hour and then they all get thrown into the second.

Noticed something when EC3 was talking. Kurt Angle once again hasnt been missed at all. As soon as he is healed up, have him job to everyone on the way out. Even though he isnt missed, a victory over him still means quite a bit.

Next week's show looks fairly stacked. Magnus vs Joe vs Abyss vs Eric Young, Willow and Bully Ray (not sure why they are suddenly friends) vs Roode and Carter, Anderson vs Shaw in a needless gimmick match, Beautiful People vs Madison plus a partner who will probably be Brittany, and Sanada vs Uno in the start of a best of three match for the X-Division title.

I agree with almost all of the above. Nexts weeks show looks strong on paper but matches need to be given time which I fear some wont.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I agree with almost all of the above. Nexts weeks show looks strong on paper but matches need to be given time which I fear some wont.

The Knockouts and Anderson/Shaw doesnt need much time. A table match can go either way. Only the four way and Uno vs Sanada really need any considerable time. The rest can get by with the usual reduced time but of course more time would be better.

The wrestling this week didn't suck so that was a big step up from the last few weeks.

I've been critical of Alpha Female since her debut, but after seeing her in Stardom I think she just needs better opponents than Velvet Sky and ODB. She is actually quite good.

An interesting interview. 12:24 he says they have consultants that help them with the show.

TNA is pretty innovative:
    2bgED8d.jpg

Thing I didn't get about that was the fact that Joseph Park wore a suit whenever he wasn't wrestling. Why was it supposed to be a shock?

Hardly rewriting his history again already are they?

• Advertisement

Xtravaganza 2 is being taped this weekend featuring Sonjay Dutt, Jigsaw, Trent Baretta and Low Ki. Four guys who should be under contract.

Advertisement