Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jenchussey

Yawns wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, the person decided to open a second thread anyway. They must have forgotten where they asked their question :D

Thank you for your response.
    I apologise for not using paragraphs and initially not starting a new thread but as a customed user to this site I'm sure you noted I am new to Boards and therefore was not sure how or where to do so.

But thank you for pointing out my grammatical and silly error.

I think I started a new thread in the correct section, maybe, I forget.

If I didn't Im sure the "mod" can point me in the right direction.

Thank you again for your helpful reply to my query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

My Insurance company called me today to tell me the figures had been agreed with the garage and I could drop my car in whenever I like to get it fixed.....BUT! (there's always a but!)

to summarise:

Other driver apparently is being charged with not producing insurance docs, not not having insurance. Amazingly, it still hasn't been confirmed that she doesn't actually have insurance.

The guy handling my claim called her yesterday and she claimed that she was insured and that, if he called her today, she'd give him the policy details. My guess is that the policy will have been taken out in the last couple of weeks :rolleyes:

The claims handler says that if she was insured when she hit me, the other insurance company will more than likely accept liability even if the driver doesn't (although the other driver seems to be backing down somewhat, apparently). However, there is a slight chance that more work will need to be done, so obviously I'm reluctant to drop the car in if there's a chance that it could end up coming off my policy in the end.

The thread continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tbh wrote: »
    My Insurance company called me today to tell me the figures had been agreed with the garage and I could drop my car in whenever I like to get it fixed.....BUT! (there's always a but!)

to summarise:

Other driver apparently is being charged with not producing insurance docs, not not having insurance. Amazingly, it still hasn't been confirmed that she doesn't actually have insurance.

The guy handling my claim called her yesterday and she claimed that she was insured and that, if he called her today, she'd give him the policy details. My guess is that the policy will have been taken out in the last couple of weeks :rolleyes:

The claims handler says that if she was insured when she hit me, the other insurance company will more than likely accept liability even if the driver doesn't (although the other driver seems to be backing down somewhat, apparently). However, there is a slight chance that more work will need to be done, so obviously I'm reluctant to drop the car in if there's a chance that it could end up coming off my policy in the end.

The thread continues!

A garda told me once that their computer can show if a car is taxed and insured or not. Maybe you should contact the garda again and she might confirm it for you. I am thinking that the lady who hit you is just giving people the run around tbh. I hope they throw the book at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

to summarise:

The thread continues!

The Guards no longer care whether she had insurance or not; once she failed to produce her documents within the 10 days she committed an offence which carries the same tariff. The law is structured. Like that to make prosecution simpler. It's easier to establish that she didn't produce than to have a dispute as to whether the insurance was in force or was adequate.

Try and get something in writing from your insurer that you are not at fault And that your NCB is unaffected. That way if there is some future argument between the insurance companies at least you have some protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

to summarise:

The thread continues!

A garda told me once that their computer can show if a car is taxed and insured or not. Maybe you should contact the garda again and she might confirm it for you. I am thinking that the lady who hit you is just giving people the run around tbh. I hope they throw the book at her.

How can they tell if a car is insured or not without a cert?

It's not quite as straight forward as tax and NCT, both linked directly to the reg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Taxed: yes

Insured: No. And its not going to be able to, either. A number of insurers provide driving other cars cover for drivers regardless of an issued policy against a car; and there are fleet policies which specify an owner not a registration, etc. All the NVF can ever give is a good guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It will show it's insured but the guard needs to see the policy to confirm it and contact the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

MYOB wrote: »
    Taxed: yes

Insured: No. And its not going to be able to, either. A number of insurers provide driving other cars cover for drivers regardless of an issued policy against a car; and there are fleet policies which specify an owner not a registration, etc. All the NVF can ever give is a good guess.

Sort of. You can be insured to drive another car but that car mush have its own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Sort of. You can be insured to drive another car but that car mush have its own policy.

Not true, depends on the driver's policy, some don't need to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

No it doesn't. My insurance allows me to drive a particular car I own and any car I don't own. There is no need for the car I don't own to have a policy attaching to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Indeed it varies from policy to policy. Best bet is to read your policy and if still unsure just ring them. They will give you a definite answer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a reason I specifically dealt with that in my post - some insurers do not require any policy at all on the other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

No it doesn't. My insurance allows me to drive a particular car I own and any car I don't own. There is no need for the car I don't own to have a policy attaching to it.

Are you certain that it doesn't have to be insured? I didn't think any company here did that. Which insurer?

Are you certain that it doesn't have to be insured? I didn't think any company here did that. Which insurer?

Quinn, pre-buyout (not sure about now) and others. Absolutely 100% certain.

There is no law on this - it is entirely down to the insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Guys, you are going way off topic here. this has been done to death on here before, a few insurers insist that the "other car" must have a policy in force.....most do not. It's very simple, they are covering the DRIVER, NOT THE CAR...3rd party only (unless you are lucky enough to have one of AXA's special policies which will cover you comprehensively on "other cars").
    Anyway, back to TBH's next update

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Guys, you are going way off topic here. this has been done to death on here before, a few insurers insist that the "other car" must have a policy in force.....most do not. It's very simple, they are covering the DRIVER, NOT THE CAR...3rd party only (unless you are lucky enough to have one of AXA's special policies which will cover you comprehensively on "other cars").
    Anyway, back to TBH's next update

backseat mod. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was convinced that the other car had to have insurance too but this year on renewal, I was given free comprehensive driving of other cars with AXA as long as I dont own it and have not hired it etc. The other car does not have to have any policy whatsoever in force. The only exclusion is that 'high performance' cars are excluded. It is also mentioned that the car must be road legal - tax and NCT. I still didnt quite believe the insurance guy so I asked for and got a letter from them clearly stating the above in plain English.

el diablo wrote: »
    backseat mod. :rolleyes:

Careful now....Backseat Infractions freely given out to "Rolleye" users.:p
    Especially those who quote a complete post when they are the next poster.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All this just goes to show the minefield that is Insurance. It must be awful for a garda or anyone else to confirm for certain if someone is actually insured in an accident. This is an area that should be fixed for once and for all by law as there are too many anomalies. All insured persons should be on a central database.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Yes I am certain. The underwriter is Allianz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Careful now....Backseat Infractions freely given out to "Rolleye" users.:p
    Especially those who quote a complete post when they are the next poster.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And how would you know for certain that you`re post is going to be the next post after the one you quote? Everyone else waits for you do they?

Really. Twelve hours later and that is your reply.........

........anyway you might have distracted TBH so stay off the line please;)

p.s. and they obviously wait another Eleven Hours for me to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Really. Twelve hours later and that is your reply.........

p.s. and they obviously wait another Eleven Hours for me to reply.

Good irony there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

If the plan to make a movie out of this then the op's car could be called Herbie:D

I loved the Herbie movies:D.

Best of luck TBH, I've enjoyed catching up in the last hour!! Keep us posted - it's better than any Soap show on TV;)

In todays exciting installment: :D

My insurance guy (who I couldn't be happier with, btw, my insurance company have been brilliant) has been trying to get the details off the other driver all week. I was convinced that she was just fobbing him off - all week she's been saying "ring back", but we've FINALLY got the insurers name and policy number!
    She is going to ring her insurance company today, and presumably get her side of the story in first, but my people will call her people this afternoon.

Coming up in the next episode:
    -Will she even call her company?
    -Will her company contest the claim, or will they accept the evidence and admit liability?
    -Was she insured when she hit my car, or did she "just log on to save money" ( ;) ) in the last few days?
    -If she was insured, why didn't she just give the details to the guards when they asked?
    -If she wasn't insured, do we have to assume she may have been insured between her last policy expiring and her taking out this policy, or can we just for God's sake take the bitch to the cleaners now please.

Stay tuned!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

My insurance guy (who I couldn't be happier with, btw, my insurance company have been brilliant) has been trying to get the details off the other driver all week. I was convinced that she was just fobbing him off - all week she's been saying "ring back", but we've FINALLY got the insurers name and policy number!
    She is going to ring her insurance company today, and presumably get her side of the story in first, but my people will call her people this afternoon.

Coming up in the next episode:
    -Will she even call her company?
    -Will her company contest the claim, or will they accept the evidence and admit liability?
    -Was she insured when she hit my car, or did she "just log on to save money" ( ;) ) in the last few days?
    -If she was insured, why didn't she just give the details to the guards when they asked?
    -If she wasn't insured, do we have to assume she may have been insured between her last policy expiring and her taking out this policy, or can we just for God's sake take the bitch to the cleaners now please.

Stay tuned!
    When this ends, where are we all meeting for pints?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

...can we just for God's sake take the bitch to the cleaners now please.

Stay tuned!

I vote for this option!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

If she *was* insured when she hit you and has given the Gardai the run around for the sake of her no claims I hope they hit her hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Don't you get a day out in court for your troubles if you don't produce documents?

• Advertisement

Don't you get a day out in court for your troubles if you don't produce documents?

the guard did say the other driver would be summonsed, the question is, is that for not producing, or for not having, the documents. Based on everything that's happened, I'd say if the other driver goes to the guards and produces now, they'll probably let it drop.

Advertisement