Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

micropig wrote: »
    Maybe the school, got the reports from the other schools she attended and we're not impressed?

The state did not refuse her an education, in fact they went out of their way by providing a home tutor

Why doesn't her mother start her own school for single parents if she's so concerned?

Nobody said the state denied her an education. Just that she was discriminated against. The school manager specifically stated her pregnancy and child were the reasons he didn't want her in the school.
    Did you read the report at all like?

Yes, lets all start up our own schools :rolleyes:

Apparantly teaching is very easy and requires no sort of experience, education or training. You heard it here first folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Maybe the school, got the reports from the other schools she attended and we're not impressed?

The state did not refuse her an education, in fact they went out of their way by providing a home tutor

Why doesn't her mother start her own school for single parents if she's so concerned?

Plenty of teens have babies, have done for donkey's years, this is the first time I have heard of a school saying no on that basis, I think Emily Logan said it was the first complaint of that nature they had too.

If other schools can accept people with kids why not this school? She is not looking for anything other than an education, no demands for time off or a creche on site etc

As for setting up her own school...my god your ignorance is something else..do you really want a form of educational segregation? Hasn't that line of thinking caused enough trouble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

St.Spodo wrote: »
    From a catholic point of view, fair enough. I'm not going to address the issue of catholic ethos in schools and it is there prerogative to allow in whomever they like. That said, a teenager having sex doesn't mean he or she has loose morals.
    From a catholic point of view, she is a fornicator, and so long as we allow the RCC to discriminate based on their ethos, they will be allowed to exclude fornicators.

dvpower wrote: »
    From a catholic point of view, she is a fornicator, and so long as we allow the RCC to discriminate based on their ethos, they will be allowed to exclude fornicators.

If the Catholic church does not deny access to people who have sex outside marriage what makes a school thinks they can?

Half the school will be excluded so. Hymen testing for all! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Provided they're not discriminatory, perhaps. If it were on the grounds of academic achievement it'd be different. This is a case of not wanting "her sort" around the place, and that's wrong.

She should have tried to enter an all boys school and cry discrimination.

This school simply doesn't teach parents or pregnant girls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You do know that many a time, even in the present day, people that have fornicated previously ...have then gone on to become priests too?
    If they are good enough to be allowed join the main org', surely a single person can get over himself and his daftness, and not discriminate against a young school girl?

Min wrote: »
    She should have tried to enter an all boys school and cry discrimination.

This school simply doesn't teach parents or pregnant girls.

Exemption has been made around sex and is specifically mentioned in the report. The ombudsman has found that pregnancy and being a parent is not a good enough reason for exclusion.
    End of. Decision made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

And in 1913 black South Africans couldn't buy land in white areas. That was wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭omck80

Our children are under educated about the proper use of education and consequences.

She wanted to go to a school, owned and run by a private individual, she was refused

The state was providing her an education in another school.

I still think it's wrong that she was accepted twice then refused entry. Why was she accepted the second time round when the school manager knew she had a baby because she was pregnant when he last dealt with her. I'm not saying that she has to go to that school to finish her education but people need to cop on. She is a child and if my child was treated like that I would complain too. I think some people need to change their attitude in this day and age and I hope to God they never have a child that may get pregnant and become a single parent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

eviltwin wrote: »

As for setting up her own school...my god your ignorance is something else..do you really want a form of educational segregation? Hasn't that line of thinking caused enough trouble?

Plenty of countries have schools for young mothers. The students can bring the baby in to school with them, learn about sex, life and having respect for their bodies..things which their parents at home failed to teach them, and no they are not laundry's

Although with the high rate of teen pregnancies in Ireland, maybe we should look at setting up schools for those that aren't pregnant;)

ash23 wrote: »
    Exemption has been made around sex and is specifically mentioned in the report. The ombudsman has found that pregnancy and being a parent is not a good enough reason for exclusion.
    End of. Decision made.

So who made up these exemptions?

Who decided who is exempt and who isn't?

Plenty of countries have schools for young mothers. The students can bring the baby in to school with them, learn about sex, life and having respect for their bodies..things which their parents at home failed to teach them, and no they are not laundry's

Although with the high rate of teen pregnancies in Ireland, maybe we should look at setting up schools for those that aren't pregnant;)

So you think its okay to lump these girls away like they are dirty or shameful? It might not be a laundry but its the same idea.

Out of interest does your place of work refuse admission to people who are single parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If the Catholic church does not deny access to people who have sex outside marriage what makes a school thinks they can?
    I presume that the Catholic Church do deny access to the sacraments to people who have sex outside of marriage and who haven't repented (where they know about it).

So who made up these exemptions?

Who decided who is exempt and who isn't?

Read the report.
    It clearly outlines the basis on which it is acceptable to exclude people from a school and also explains why.

Read the report.
    It clearly outlines the basis on which it is acceptable to exclude people from a school and also explains why.

But that doesn't say who made up the rules in the first place.

But that doesn't say who made up the rules in the first place.

I'd imagine the schools initially and then decisions were made by the relevant authorities as to what was acceptable and what wasn't. In this case the powers that be have decided that the grounds of pregnancy isn't acceptable, particularly as the school don't make their ethos clear. It's all very clearly explained in the findings of the ombudsman for children.

So you think its okay to lump these girls away like they are dirty or shameful? It might not be a laundry but its the same idea.

Out of interest does your place of work refuse admission to people who are single parents?

Who said locking them away like dirt or shame?...you came up with that vision

young mothers have additional educational needs. They need to learn to care for child. They need to learn about budgeting. These are skills they will need to use sooner than their childless peers. Schools in other countries have been set up to cater for these. extra rooms, where the child can sleep, eat etc during the day. A more flexible timetable so that the mother can attend to the child

Why is it the same idea as a laundry?

Is it better the child is a home with a child minder/grandparent all day, than teaching the mother the skills to cope properly?

young mothers have additional educational needs. They need to learn to care for child. They need to learn about budgeting. These are skills they will need to use sooner than their childless peers. Schools in other countries have been set up to cater for these. extra rooms, where the child can sleep, eat etc during the day. A more flexible timetable so that the mother can attend to the child

Is it better the child is a home with a child minder/grandparent all day, than teaching the mother the skills to cope properly?

Well you are the one proposing we take them out of mainstream education...I think that speaks volumes.

As for parenting, budgeting skills I think they are things all students could benefit from.

So you'd support spending massive amounts of money on "special schools" with free childcare for young mothers but you don't support the right of a young mother to attend a mainstream school of her choice?
    I do think there should be additional support for young mothers trying to get an education but I also think that if they would be happier in an ordinary everyday school, that should be their choice.

• Advertisement

Well you are the one proposing we take them out of mainstream education...I think that speaks volumes.

As for parenting, budgeting skills I think they are things all students could benefit from.

Every student could benefit front them, but teen parents have a much urgent need to learn these things and there is no time in the current time table to focus on these things

So you'd support spending massive amounts of money on "special schools" with free childcare for young mothers but you don't support the right of a young mother to attend a mainstream school of her choice?
    I do think there should be additional support for young mothers trying to get an education but I also think that if they would be happier in an ordinary everyday school, that should be their choice.

I'd be for spending money on a) sex education and b) coping with the consequences of unprotected sex

So the issue is the school is not her choice? As I said before she had a place in another school willing to accept her..if it's her education she's interested in

So what if she has to go to a different one and focus on her education, maybe the school is doing her a favour as her 'friends' could be a bad influence on her and lead her stray, again

Being a 'single parent' is the fashion at the moment. Teenagers see it as an easy life (media contribute to this) and society does not demand that both parents take responsibility for their children.

And what about teen dads Micropig? Should be send them off to these schools too?

And what about teen dads Micropig? Should be send them off to these schools too?

Absolutely, They should also be educated and made to take responsibility.

It is much their's as it is the girls.

No reason why these schools can't be co-ed.

So the issue is the school is not her choice? As I said before she had a place in another school willing to accept her..if it's her education she's interested in

She took that place and is interested in her education. But does that mean she should just accept the way the other school treated her? I don't believe so. We shouldn't accept discrimination just because it's possible to go elsewhere.

So what if she has to go to a different one and focus on her education, maybe the school is doing her a favour as her 'friends' could be a bad influence on her and lead her stray, again
    The school wasn't looking out for her needs. They were very clear about why she wasn't wanted. They treated her very badly based simply on her marital status.

Being a 'single parent' is the fashion at the moment. Teenagers see it as an easy life (media contribute to this) and society does not demand that both parents take responsibility for their children.

Fashion? Are you kidding me? I have never seen single parenting as an easy life. I have never known a single parent to portray it that way. The media are not at all flattering about life as a young teen parent, single or not.

Also, hate to burst your bubble but not all single parents are young and not all children of single parents are unplanned.

Absolutely, They should also be educated and made to take responsibility.

It is much their's as it is the girls.

No reason why these schools can't be co-ed.

And what about after, if these kids want to go to college? Should they be given access to a mainstream university then?

Also, hate to burst your bubble but not all single parents are young and not all children of single parents are unplanned.

I never said they were all young and unplanned:confused: Some adults also are lacking in this area also...

The media do promote it

Single, with a large number of children & entitlements..the media will give you front page to complain about the fact you only get 2 holidays a year and you are entitled to a bigger house etc...

To a sensible adult or someone who has been through having a child alone..it may not be an attractive position, but to young teenagers, it can seem great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Its a catholic ethos school. Jesus would turn away a pregnant teenager then?

I never said they were all young and unplanned:confused: Some adults also are lacking in this area also...

Lacking? In what way is it "lacking" to be a single parent?

And what about after, if these kids want to go to college? Should they be given access to a mainstream university then?

yes, but she is not entitled to a place, she should earn it like every one else.

You seem to have a major issue with individualising education and recogonising they have different education needs an priorities than a childless student

Priories of a teen parent: Minding and caring for their child

Priorities of a non-teen parent: what colour lip gloss will I wear

• Advertisement

Lacking? In what way is it "lacking" to be a single parent?

Lacking in sex education, handling emotions, relationships , lacking in many areas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement