Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Absolutely nothing. There was one in my year and I never even knew she was pregnant until years later.

It would have been better if your school had have explained how it happened what to do to prevent it, support lines you can call etc and giving information to students, rather than just pretending it wasn't happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

micropig wrote: »
    I want to enrol in a playschool. They told me I was too old. Is this Ageist?
    Bottom of barrel - worn through (it was close when you were resorting to saying a poster thinks teen pregnancies are brilliant). Come on, do better! That's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

It would have been better if your school had have explained how it happened what to do to prevent it, support lines you can call etc and giving information to students, rather than just pretending it wasn't happening

Really? Because none of the rest of us got pregnant. So it obviously wasn't contagous. We had really good sex ed. from first year. She was a new girl who came late and didn't have any of that. Don't know what she was taught in hers.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I like the double standards being employed in this thread. The girls history is irrelevent yet somehow the principals and managers is.

There is a fundamental right to education but not to choose whatever school you want. There are limits on all rights. There is a fundamental right for me to travel around the EU but that doesn't mean I can complain if i can only afford to go to france. You are trying to expand the meaning of a fundamental right too much.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    The point is, they're not allowed to enroll because they were thick enough to get themselves pregnant. If this was a new law that was to be brought in it would soon make teenagers/parents more aware and it would occur less often, don't you worry about that.

Do you not realise that it is the parents themselves that play the most vital role in educating their children? It is not entirely the schools responsibilty, by no means.

Cheeky_gal, that has to be the stupidest, most flawed logic I have ever read on this site.

She got pregnant, can't have an abortion in this ("Catholic") country; applies to a Catholic school, gets denied entry due to her medical condition; has the baby, which most Catholics would demand of her anyways; tries to go back to the Catholic school and they deny her entry because she's a single mother.

Teenagers f**k, it's a given. Nothing you do, no law you will ever introduce will ever stop that. Her choices about what to do in this country when she gets pregnant are limited enough, and I guarantee the sperm donor in this whole situation has had no problem getting an education.

Parents should educate their children... On contraception, not just abstinence and 'no sex before marriage'. All we have to do to see how spectacularly that failed is look to the States, who invest $1billion in abstinence sex education a year, and their teen pregnancy rates.

Again, all of this is irrelevant. She should not be discriminated against due to her marital or family status. If it doesn't happen in workplaces, it shouldn't happen in schools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I want to enrol in a playschool. They told me I was too old.
    They might make a special case for you.

She didn't get in to 1 school, she wasn't denied an education.
    If the school was full, she wouldn't have got in either.

if they read this thread they know your the perfect mental age for it. What a stupid irrelevant argument. Needless to explain, school is done on a scalar chain. As you get older, you (hopefully) get smarter and the idea is that you wont have to repeat as if you did resources would be wasted teaching someone material which is years behind their mental capacity, though if you do wish to do playschool show them some of your posts. they make a great case for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

YOU DONT GET IT DO YOU!! YOU JUST DONT GET IT!! :mad:

She was denied enrolment in a school which she chose to enrol in, which should be her fundamental right as an Irish citizen to join but due to the lunatics who run this country and continue to faciltitate religious ethos to precede over legislation, that we are faced with scenarios like this in the year 2012.

It really is that simple.... Why should you have greater rights than her because she had a teenage pregnancy?
    I want to go to Clongowes. I'm not allowed. Are my fundamental rights being denied?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I really can't square this thread with the recent one on the single mother in Limerick.

Herp! "The ones who try to get an education or work are fine, the problem is with the ones living off the money I f**kin worked hard to get!! :mad:"

Derp! "The school shouldn't of taken her, she shouldn't be allowed to get an education, she should live off the money I f**kin worked hard to get!! :mad:"

I think there might be one or two posters contradicting themselves across both threads, though I can't be bothered to dig up the other thread to check.
    Even if they haven't contradicted themselves, there's one or two posters here who must be trolling, because the idea that the words they've typed are representative of actual thoughts they've had is too scary to contemplate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

She didn't get in to 1 school, she wasn't denied an education.The state funded school had no right to deny her. That is the point.

If the school was full, she wouldn't have got in either. Yes. But it wasnt.

No it would mean you are a bit thick trying to get into a school for children under 5.

Pathetic/ thick/ illogical posting continues.

• Advertisement

Really? Because none of the rest of us got pregnant. So it obviously wasn't contagous. We had really good sex ed. from first year. She was a new girl who came late and didn't have any of that. Don't know what she was taught in hers.

Maybe like this girl she had moved schools twice before her junior cert and missed on the the sex ed.?

She didn't get in to 1 school, she wasn't denied an education.
    If the school was full, she wouldn't have got in either.

Well, your maturity levels seem to fit in OK with playschool level children, but maybe you might break their little plastic furniture?

MagicSean wrote: »
    I like the double standards being employed in this thread. The girls history is irrelevent yet somehow the principals and managers is..

the girl done nothing illegal. the principal discriminated against her and to protect himself from legislation he cited Catholic Ethos as his reason.

I strongly suspect people say stuff like "They can discriminate against whom they want - it can't be dictated who they allow admission" when they know it's ridiculous, just to sound "no nonsense" and go against the "liberal" grain (even though there's **** all liberal about it, it's just basic cop-on) and would obviously only say it in relation to stuff they agree with. The same people would be pissing their pants over ladies-only gyms (something I don't agree with either btw) if they were guys, or anything else that discriminates against them.
    If a private hospital or whatever didn't embrace christian symbols at Christmas (again, I don't agree with it) they'd be saying "Political correctness gone mad!" instead of "Their choice - they can discriminate against whom they want."

Well, your maturity levels seem to fit in OK with playschool level children, but maybe you might break their little plastic furniture?

I'd be entitled to my size furniture, so no worries there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I want to go to Clongowes. I'm not allowed. Are my fundamental rights being denied?

some would say yes because the two tier education system gives people a unfair advantage :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jonnycronin

They should put this on their website to clarify their policy!

http://i49.tinypic.com/uo7dx.jpg

Maybe like this girl she had moved schools twice before her junior cert and missed on the the sex ed.?

which if that is the case, shows the flaws in the sexual education system in this godforsaken country. It should be a once a month hour from 4th class up!

Clongowes is a private fee paying school not funded by the state
    St Josephs in Borrisilleagh is??

Why would you use this as an example? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Is Clongowes a boys only fee paying private school perhaps?

• Advertisement

You know people are arguing crud when they have to resort to disingenuous, obtuse muck.

I don't think she had been in two schools before ours. What I'm more interested in is your idea that my school should have highlighted her personal crisis - making her the "freak" when she didn't need to be, it wasn't obvious she was pregnant. The stress of going into a new school very late when other friendship groups have formed is stressful, nevermind being pregnant, and on top of that you advocate that they tell all the hundreds of students about her personal crisis and hold her up as an example of how not to live your life. I think you're looking at causing a serious threat to her and her babies health/life by doing that. Jesus Christ.:eek: We got more than adequate sex ed. without the need for that.

I'd be entitled to my size furniture, so no worries there

Well they might say that because you're too big for the furniture they will not accept you. If they don't have a specific admissions policy, or a BOM, and only have one man who gets to make the decision, he can say it's because he worships Joseph, and therefore does not agree with having to cause his fellow carpenters any more work making bigger wooden furniture for you.

But it's not discrimination, you should just apply to another school and forget all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Interesting OP, a few well thought out responses, then .

ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong

If this thread doesnt die soon, it deserves to be put down.

-FoxT

I don't think she had been in two schools before ours. What I'm more interested in is your idea that my school should have highlighted her personal crisis - making her the "freak" when she didn't need to be, it wasn't obvious she was pregnant. The stress of going into a new school very late when other friendship groups have formed is stressful, nevermind being pregnant, and on top of that you advocate that they tell all the hundreds of students about her personal crisis and hold her up as an example of how not to live your life. I think you're looking at causing a serious threat to her and her babies health/life by doing that. Jesus Christ.:eek: We got more than adequate sex ed. without the need for that.

Who said anything about a freak show?--->laundry brigade that way

She wanted to go to a new school. That is the point of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jonnycronin

Just to clarify, she could afford to go to this school and was accepted. She was only turned down afterwards because she was pregnant.

Who said anything about a freak show?--->laundry brigade that way

She wanted to go to a new school. That is the point of this.

Of course teenagers will see anyone who is deemed to have done something so bad that teachers publicly denounce it as a freak and this is undoubtedly how the girl would feel. Anybody would feel a freak after that and the stress to a young pregnant girl could genuinely and realistically damager her and her babies health/life. I think that the laundry brigate might be a more apt club for you to join if you feel that it's still acceptable to take individual peoples personal life to make moral points. I think it's more progressive not to.

FoxT wrote: »
    Interesting OP, a few well thought out responses, then .

ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong

-FoxT

im so drained from having to reply to moronic posts that id welcome the thread to be closed at this stage. frightening to think there is such bigoted small minded people out there.

its a wonder we dont see more babies left on doorsteps if this is the general attitude towards teenage girls who find themselves pregnant in this country.

Hugely hugely alarming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

FoxT wrote: »
    Agreed.

Bang!

Sorry lads/lasses, had to be done. But don't worry, I'm sure there'll be another single/young mother thread along soon enough. The foxholes won't have been dug in vain.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement