Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

noddyone2 wrote: »
    'Lucky' not to get pregnant? Since when does 'luck' come into it? Contraception is widely available. Bad parenting maybe?

Lots of people screw up and take chances, sometimes they get lucky and dodge a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Putting herself about? Who's to say she didn't have sex within a long term relationship? Jesus, lots of pretty crude assumptions being thrown around here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Old Tom wrote: »
    Ah, "we all"... I see you are a Voice Of the Community now father ...

Ok, I'm gonna make myself a cup of coffee, have a nice day sir.

Your funny. I like you! :D

I do ...seriously! Please return soon. :D
    You make me smile and laugh. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

micropig wrote: »
    ash23 wrote: »

I'm fairly sure they are annoyed because a young girl was treated really badly.

Yes it's the states fault, It's the schools fault, it's societies fault..

everyones fault but the mother and her daughter

She was enrolled in another school before giving birth - the state was providing her education

This is just a hissy fit she is throwing because she didn't get to go to the school she wanted,

Tough Sh1T

No it's actually just the schools fault. The school manager to be specific.
    Her choices shouldn't be lesser than that of a girl who didn't get pregnant. That's discrimination and if my child were discriminated against you can be damn right I'd complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

'Lucky' not to get pregnant? Since when does 'luck' come into it? Contraception is widely available. Bad parenting maybe?

Not Irish style contraception;)

and then we all have to act shocked and surprised when the 'accident' results in a child:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Since when does 'luck' come into it? Contraception is widely available.

And contraception is 100% effective and never ever ever fails under any circumstances ever

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

eviltwin wrote: »
    pmsl at this

The "sin" is in having sex...most kids who have sex - and adults for that matter - will be lucky enough not to get pregnant. Sadly for the ones who do - the girls that is - they wear their "sin" in public which makes it easier for people like you to think they are slappers.

Coz contraception is 100% effective every single time a couple have sex is it?

ash23 wrote: »
    No it's actually just the schools fault. The school manager to be specific.
    Her choices shouldn't be lesser than that of a girl who didn't get pregnant. That's discrimination and if my child were discriminated against you can be damn right I'd complain.

She had a place in another school, the state was providing her with an education, just not in the same school as her friends

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Old Tom wrote: »
    They don't like it - they don't take her. It's freedom and democracy.
    Whoever likes taking single mothers - open your own school and go ahead.
    How about schools being paid for by the public don't discriminate against the public, and anyone who wants to set their own draconian entry criteria open their own school, paid for out of their own pocket?

A couple of girls in my year got pregnant, and were encouraged to finish their education. They were very open about how hard it was to look after a baby and how stressed they were. Nothing was glamourised, no-one thought it'd be a great idea to get knocked up, and everyone lauded their commitment to education.

bluewolf wrote: »
    And contraception is 100% effective and never ever ever fails under any circumstances ever

Not as many times as Irish people like to make out
    branbee wrote: »
    Coz contraception is 100% effective every single time a couple have sex is it?

It is possible to use more than 1 form of contraception...

• Advertisement

She had a place in another school, the state was providing her with an education, just not in the same school as her friends

The issue is that she was discriminated against. She was offered a place and then it was withdrawn because she was pregnant.
    She was offered another place a year later and it was withdrawn when they realised she had a child.
    She was discriminated against by the school, firstly for being pregnant, then for her marital status.

The ombudsman has found she was discriminated against. Discrimination is never acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Putting herself about? Who's to say she didn't have sex within a long term relationship? Jesus, lots of pretty crude assumptions being thrown around here.

Well to have sex at that age means she put herself about, she was not required to have sex, I presume and hope she was not raped, so she did it of her own volition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It is possible to use more than 1 form of contraception...

You can use as many as you like, it's never going to be 100% effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Min wrote: »
    To forgive one has to be sorry for the wrong they did.

Was this schoolgirl sorry she has loose morals while wanting to enter a lay Catholic school which has different morals?
    If the school girl was sorry for her actions, then the school should have taken her in, if not then the problem is not the school's.

From a catholic point of view, fair enough. I'm not going to address the issue of catholic ethos in schools and it is there prerogative to allow in whomever they like. That said, a teenager having sex doesn't mean he or she has loose morals.

Do you think people who experience discrimination should just suck it up and get over it? Or should they shine a light onto it so we can all see just what kind of crap some people have to deal with?

Well to have sex at that age means she put herself about, she was not required to have sex, I presume and hope she was not raped, so she did it of her own volition.

"putting herself about" implies she was promiscuous, when this may very well not be the case. She'll never be "required" to have sex, but it happens, at a variety of ages, and the consequences should never include ostracism or discrimination.

I didn't read any information about the conception or her sex life in that report. Please direct me to the link where it states that she "put herself about".

How many girls were shunned for being sluts when they were actually being raped by their fathers, brothers, teachers, local priests etc? Shoved in workhouses and outcast from society based on assumptions about their sex lives and promiscuity.

Sad to see that people would happily go back to those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭omck80

Not Irish style contraception;)

and then we all have to act shocked and surprised when the 'accident' results in a child:rolleyes:

Not all contraception is 100% effective. Nobody here know's the full facts of the pregnancy. I think she should be allowed finish her education to make a better life for her and her child which is what I did while working too with NO social welfare payments just good support from a good family which she seem's to have too. Not all of us single mothers are in it for a "free house and welfare payments".

Sad to see that in an age where we are supposed to accept that sex is a two way thing the burden of blame still falls on the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I wonder if the boy who knocked her up(assuming he was also a student) was refused entry from any catholic schools due to the fact he was about to become a single parent?! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Biggins wrote: »
    Your funny. I like you! :D

I do ...seriously! Please return soon. :D
    You make me smile and laugh. :D
    Ah no worries, just drop me a PM whenever you need me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Cherrycola wrote: »
    I wonder if the boy who knocked her up(assuming he was also a student) was refused entry from any catholic schools due to the fact he was about to become a single parent?! :rolleyes:
    He got to bone her, got away with it. What's new?

omck80 wrote: »
    Not all contraception is 100% effective. Nobody here know's the full facts of the pregnancy. I think she should be allowed finish her education to make a better life for her and her child which is what I did while working too with NO social welfare payments just good support from a good family which she seem's to have too. Not all of us single mothers are in it for a "free house and welfare payments".

Our children are under educated about the proper use of education and consequences.

She wanted to go to a school, owned and run by a private individual, she was refused

The state was providing her an education in another school.

She wanted to go to a school, owned and run by a private individual, she was refused

..............because of her marital status and family status which is against the law. No brainer really.

Our children are under educated about the proper use of education and consequences.

The state was providing her an education in another school.

Yes by all accounts she is happy and doing well in the new school but that is hardly the point is it? Should we just turn a blind eye to discrimination now?

Cherrycola wrote: »

We can hope so, we need equality for all.

Yes by all accounts she is happy and doing well in the new school but that is hardly the point is it? Should we just turn a blind eye to discrimination now?

Surely schools should be allowed to set higher standards for it's students if the school so wishes.

Maybe the school, got the reports from the other schools she attended and we're not impressed?

The state did not refuse her an education, in fact they went out of their way by providing a home tutor

Why doesn't her mother start her own school for single parents if she's so concerned?

• Advertisement

Surely schools should be allowed to set higher standards for it's students if the school so wishes.

Provided they're not discriminatory, perhaps. If it were on the grounds of academic achievement it'd be different. This is a case of not wanting "her sort" around the place, and that's wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement