Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Education is the key, oh wait....do'h!

A state financed school has no business promoting segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

omega666 wrote: »
    Course she has the right to education, it dosent mean she can attend whatever school she want though. If she was refused from every school
    she applied to then you would have a point. There's plently of schools she
    can get educated in if she wants to.

Are you really trying to claim that teenagers are not easily influenced by thier peers? The school dosent want thier students to think it perfectly acceptable
    to be a teenage mother. I have no problem with that thinking tbh. Would you
    want your teenage daughter to be a single mother?

That's ridiculous and absolute bull****. No teenager is going to look at another and go 'Wowee getting pregant looks like such a good idea. I think I'll go off and ride the next youngfella I see without a johnny" :rolleyes:

Of course teenagers are influenced by there peers, but if you think they're going to run off and get pregnant because one of their friends is then you must have a very low opinion of us indeed. The school's attitude is disgusting. It is not down to them to judge her on a past mistake* that will have no influence on her academic or behavioural profile while attending the school.

Just because some Holy Joe is uppity over this girl getting pregnant and having a baby does not give the school an absolute right treat her like that. The irony is overwhelming when you consider all the tales of Mary being turned away from the inn. Hypocrisy and lip service alive and well in Catholic Ireland.

*I don't particularly like referring to the child as mistake. I'm sure her baby is a precious gift to her and her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It condoning the fact because it's comminicating to teenagers that it a acceptable/normal everyday suitation to be in.

Who other schools accept is thier choice.

The girl is not being refused an education, she can get educated in countless schools, her life isnt going to be doomed for enternity because she was refused from one particular school.

No its not. I have a teenage daughter and I would have no problem with her being in school with a teen parent, I think it would be more of a heads up about the reality of life with a young child than any lecture I could give her.

Other schools will presumably have other kids, whatever school she goes to you can argue those kids will also be "encouraged" to get pregnant.

So what do we do? Keep her at home and home school?

It condoning the fact because it's comminicating to teenagers that it a acceptable/normal everyday suitation to be in.

The girl is not being refused an education, she can get educated in countless schools, her life isnt going to be doomed for enternity because she was refused from one particular school.

You do know being pregnant is not contagious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

No, her life won't be doomed but does that make it ok? She was in a vulnerable position and made to feel like there was something wrong with her, that she wasn't "good enough" for that school. She was treated like a second class citizen simply because she was young, single and pregnant.
    That's not ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

eviltwin wrote: »
    So what do we do? Keep her at home and home school?

No she goes to another school, gets her education and moves on with her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Horseshít. Firstly, it's not going to be the first pregnant person they see. Secondly, if she's the only one in a year of a hundred or so, then it's really quite obvious that it's *not* normal for people of their age. Now, maybe you weren't too clued up in school, but by the time I graduated after sixth year, one guy was expecting a kid with his girlfriend. That didn't mean we thought it was a brilliant idea. We knew it wasn't planned and we certainly didn't feel encouraged to go forth and procreate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Doee she even know who the father is?

I couldn't stop laughing :D

And what if the next school, or all schools decide to start refusing an education to this girl on the same basis?
    Just because there are other options, doesn't mean that school should be able to discriminate against her.

If she can....

This is in Tipperary, I doubt she has much in the way of choice. Why should this school be allowed to practice such bigotry? Imagine if all schools were to act this way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Doee she even know who the father is?

Important question, but was dismissed,

Let's show the children fathers have no responsibility

People seems to be missing the part in the article where she has already dropped out of two schools out of her own choice because she didnt like them. So there’s nothing stopping her getting an education except herself.

Dropped out of 2 schools already, so suddenly getting an education is important, It's a pity she didn't get it before she got pregnant.

Are you really trying to claim that teenagers are not easily influenced by thier peers? The school doesn't want thier students to think it perfectly acceptable to be a teenage mother. I have no problem with that thinking tbh. Would you want your teenage daughter to be a single mother?

Peers will see the house & benefits they get...to naive and unemployed girls, it'll seems like a lotto win

Who paid for her home tuition?

Lets just give her the house and benefits now, save all this hassle

Where was the mother while the child was out fornicating, and suddenly she's the best mother in the world, crying her child can't get an education..maybe if she had a greater parental presence in this child's life, the child would not be in this position now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

To the people who say this is ok , because the girl will somehow ' infect ' the rest of the girls in the school.

Would it be ok if the person refused the girl because her parents were not married / divorced ?

Would it be ok if the person refused the girl because he had heard that her parents had had an affair ?

If we had heard about this practice in somewhere like Afghanistan we would all be saying this is terrible etc ( as I said in my OP )

This person should not be near young people IMO.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    To the people who say this is ok , because the girl will somehow ' infect ' the rest of the girls in the school.

Would it be ok if the person refused the girl because her parents were not married / divorced ?

Would it be ok if the person refused the girl because he had heard that her parents had had an affair ?

If we had heard about this practice in somewhere like Afghanistan we would all be saying this is terrible etc ( as I said in my OP )

This person should not be near young people IMO.

People mistake mirrors for windows all the time.

If she can....

This is in Tipperary, I doubt she has much in the way of choice. Why should this school be allowed to practice such bigotry? Imagine if all schools were to act this way.

Why not? do you think we only have the one school here in Tipperary? She probably seen the other case of the student taking action because they were refused entry and thought to herself, that's a great way to make a few bob;)

Although he lost his case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Someone's on a power buzz. No board of management. only his son.

a person introducing himself as the School Manager and was told
    ’I will not and do not accept single mothers in this school.’
    The school has an uncompromising ethos and will not become
    a dumping ground for those rejected elsewhere....

’Do not try to blame this school for having a moral code.
    You have no business coming down here to si ngle us out
    - we are a Catholic school and shall remain so’.

Go Equal Status Acts.. Kick his ass.
    They should hang their head in shame.

I saw the article earlier while glancing through the Metro and this part of his quote stood out to me. Couldn't help but think, "They are the one's who are initiating the rejection. There is no fúcking elsewhere."

what's the position of insurance in the schools, with pregnant students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ash23 wrote: »
    And what if the next school, or all schools decide to start refusing an education to this girl on the same basis?
    Just because there are other options, doesn't mean that school should be able to discriminate against her.

Agreed, but is this about a girl trying to get an education - in which case simply go to another school - or is it about something else? Why would you want to go to a school with that attitude anyway?

The entire episode begins to smell of compo, TBH.

She can still expose and fight discrimination from another school.

micropig wrote: »
    Why not? do you think we only have the one school here in Tipperary? She probably seen the other case of the student taking action because they were refused entry and thought to herself, that's a great way to make a few bob;)

Are you the bloke who owns the school? You are making a lot of assumptions about someone you don't even know...

Is Borrisoleigh not a rural area then?

Important question, but was dismissed,

Let's show the children fathers have no responsibility

It was dismissed because it was a badly disguised insult about the girl. The father is not really going to affect her education one way or the other. He may be paying maintenance etc. But it's not actually relevant to her getting into this school.
    I mentioned the father in a few posts. Wondering if he was also denied entry to a school.

Dropped out of 2 schools already, so suddenly getting an education is important, It's a pity she didn't get it before she got pregnant.

So she's damned if she does and if she doesn't? She wants to go back to school to provide for her child but she should be denied because of her earlier mistakes?
    Peers will see the house & benefits they get...to naive and unemployed girls, it'll seems like a lotto win

ah that's just nonsense. Majority of single parents are NOT on benefits but of course it's easier for people to assume they are. ::)

The same people who pay for all teenagers education - the taxpayer.
    God forbid anyone would want the girl to be able to make her own way in life. Just confine her to a life on welfare? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

what's the position of insurance in the schools, with pregnant students?

And what about when she applied again the next year after she had delivered the child? she has been refused a place twice by the school.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Agreed, but is this about a girl trying to get an education - in which case simply go to another school - or is it about something else? Why would you want to go to a school with that attitude anyway?

The entire episode begins to smell of compo, TBH.

She can still expose and fight discrimination from another school.

She is in another school. I don't think (from the report) that she is doing anything other than complaining about the way she was treated. She's enrolled in another school as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

It's ridiculous to punish this girl for a decision she made when she was 15? 16? The report said that she left after her Junior Cert, worked for a while, fell pregnant and then decided that she want to return to school. Seems quite obvious that her experiences of the world convinced her that she needed to improve her education and hence her prospects. Are you saying that she should be denied an education for the rest of her life because of a bad choice she made as a kid?

Come off it. Do you realise how absurd and contradictory you sound. If she wanted to live off benefits and have a house handed to her then why would she even bother trying to go back to school in the first place. If as you assume she was a lazy, dole scrounging, waste of space then why would she bother to finish school?

Where was the mother while the child was out fornicating, and suddenly she's the best mother in the world, crying her child can't get an education..maybe if she had a greater parental presence in this child's life, the child would not be in this position now

**** happens. Teenagers have sex. Sometimes mistakes happen. Do you realise how sheltered and repressed you sound? "the child was out fornicating" indeed :rolleyes:

Why shouldn't she be upset that her child is being treated in such an obnoxious manner? Who are you to make judgements on what role her mother had in her life?

People are hilarious. In one breath you complain about uneducated teen mothers collecting the dole. In the next you're outraged when she tries to finish her studies and work towards getting a better life for herself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Course she has the right to education, it dosent mean she can attend whatever school she want though. If she was refused from every school she applied to then you would have a point. There's plently of schools she can get educated in if she wants to.

The law DOES state though she has the right to an education and she can apply to as many as she wants to see that right fulfilled.
    As to grounds for rejection, the fact that she is a mother and/or previously pregnant, frankly might cross the line of legal discrimination!
    Are you really trying to claim that teenagers are not easily influenced by thier peers?
    I have never said or claimed anything of the sort EITHER WAY - I have never even mentioned that area of topic - I have no idea on this green earth why your attributing that question to me or maybe trying to espouse that I have said something on that very matter!
    Please DON'T try putting words in my mouth - or espouse that I have stated something on that matter.
    Absolute pure stupidity to try and do so. Utter failure!
    The school dosent want thier students to think it perfectly acceptable to be a teenage mother. I have no problem with that thinking tbh.
    No.
    ONE idiot wants its students to see their way in an outdated bigotry way.
    Would you want your teenage daughter to be a single mother?
    Whats that got to do with this persons right to access education?
    My feelings towards my daughterS and their care are a private family matter.
    I sure as hell am not going to discuss them on an open forum.

I will say however that whatever condition a young woman might find herself in, she should always have the right to not be rejected just because of a medical or previous medical condition!

There is a lot of utter stupidity in this whole thread by some that are clearly uneducated too!

Is Borrisoleigh not a rural area then?

A rural area, within travelling distance of Limerick, Thurles, Templemore, Nenagh, Port Laois......and many more places, It's fairly central
    ash23 wrote: »
    God forbid anyone would want the girl to be able to make her own way in life. Just confine her to a life on welfare? Really?

that's where she's heading, maybe she'll just have to take a break and return to education in a year or 2.

Edit: I see she is in another school, so she should stop complaining and focus on her studies..her mother is making drama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I went to a Catholic ethos school that accepted and encouraged pregnant and new mums back into the system. In fact the headmaster would keep going out to the house until he got them back into education. Then after leaving cert he did everything in his power to get them in to the career they wanted, writing letters, making phone calls, providing references.
    Those he got to come back to school all went on to be valuable and contributing members of society.
    This was 20 years ago and looking back I know how lucky I was to grow up in a town with a proper Catholic parish priest who practiced Christian values and a headmaster who actually cared about the kids, not peoples perception of the school. We had an 85% feed rate into 3rd level, of some sort, from our sixth year.
    This headmaster should be ashamed of himself, he is not acting in a a Christian manner never mind a truely Catholic one.

A rural area, within travelling distance of Limerick, Thurles, Templemore, Nenagh, Port Laois......and many more places, It's fairly central

that's where she's heading, maybe she'll just have to take a break and return to education in a year or 2.

You are so judgemental, I cannot believe someone would actually want to stop someone getting on in life. What is the problem?

I was that girl once and thank christ I had support, I was able to continue with my education, get my degree, get a good job, my own home etc. Had that support not been there I would have been just another statistic, a woman on benefits probably being judged by the like of you.

Do you have kids? Do you plan on having any? Would you want someone treating your son or daughter like this for the sake of one error of judgement.

Edit: I see she is in another school, so she should stop complaining and focus on her studies..her mother is making drama

Her mother made the complaint to Emily Logan, Emily Logan made it public...stop implying this family are out to make a quick buck or cause hassle, I am sure if they were that way inclined there are other avenues they would have taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

humanji wrote: »
    I wonder how different Christianity would be if Mary had been treated like this.

I think we should call in Superman to sort this out. Christianity sucks.

• Advertisement

Why is that where she is heading? Why would you make that assumption.

I myself completed my education and now work and make a living for myself and my child with no support from welfare. I also know of many other single parents who do the same. Single parent doesn't always mean welfare and if you bothered looking up actual facts about single parents you would know that as opposed to relying on your own warped world view of it.

Her mother feels her daughter was mistreated and complained to the ombudsman for children. It's not wrong for her to be annoyed at her daughter being treated that way. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement