Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Male and Female haves sex and creates a beautiful life = wrong

Raping and killing Children = right

What a bunch sheer hypocrites, just plain w*nkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

micropig wrote: »
    Lacking in sex education, handling emotions, relationships , lacking in many areas

I find that highly offensive and completely untrue. It is also a gross generalisation about all single parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lacking in sex education, handling emotions, relationships , lacking in many areas

Are you talking about single parents in general or just the teenager in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ash23 wrote: »
    Min wrote: »
    To forgive one has to be sorry for the wrong they did.

Was this schoolgirl sorry she has loose morals while wanting to enter a lay Catholic school which has different morals?
    If the school girl was sorry for her actions, then the school should have taken her in, if not then the problem is not the school's.

Sorry for her actions? For producing a child?
    Why should she be apologetic for having a baby? Loose morals? Oh sweet Jesus :mad:

I agree completely. I think a substantial number of people at that or any other catholic school are also having sex. The catholic church and their zealots in this country only seem to target the vunerable people using their beliefs single mothers, gay people ect. I also have to wonder are the people here who criticise her all virgins or is sex only bad if your a woman?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I also have to wonder are the people here who criticise her all virgins or is sex only bad if your a woman?
    Or only when you are a woman who gets pregnant and has the child instead of an abortion.
    The child is an obvious indication that sex has been had (unless you're the Virgin Mary) so therefore it's easy to point the finger at the unmarried mothers. The men, the women who don't get pregnant and the women who have abortions have no evidence with which to be judged with.
    It's sad that people would take something as wonderful as a child and use it as a stick with which to beat a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭omck80

As I am quite new to boards and am enjoying it I am not going to risk getting banned by saying what I really think of this statement. I'm aware everyone is entitled to their own opinion but that for me is pure crap. :mad:

Old Tom wrote: »
    Biggins wrote: »
    Frankly I think the person that rejected the young girl is an bigoted idiot who is as far away from being a charitable, helpful nice person as they could possibly be.
    What an asshole!
    What experience in running schools (including responsibility for hundreds of children) YOU have to make such statements sir?

As opposed to the "winning" aproach catholics had to running schools in Ireland in our recent history?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Damn, I should have sued for discrimination when I wasn't allowed go to the all-girls school :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I agree completely. I think a substantial number of people at that or any other catholic school are also having sex. The catholic church and their zealots in this country only seem to target the vunerable people using their beliefs single mothers, gay people ect. I also have to wonder are the people here who criticise her all virgins or is sex only bad if your a woman?

Maybe this is why the Principal didn't want her at his school. You have judged the other students at the school by the standards of the the girl who had sex.

Min wrote: »

Maybe this is why the Principal didn't want her at his school. You have judged the other students at the school by the standards of the the girl who had sex.

Unless the principle is a virgin hes a hypocrit. Even if he is I fail to see how getting pregnant is an accepable reason for discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What a depressing story/reaction. And she's trying to get educated, yet still with the single mother stigma... :(

And, "she'll tell other students how great it is to get benefits"? - that's just clutching at straws for trolling/contravention of the "Don't be a dick" rule material...

I get the impression from some peoples posts that they wish the magdaline laundries was still here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

I get the impression from some peoples posts that they wish the magdaline laundries was still here.
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Indeed, never mind that she and the child will be a burden on the state for the next 18 years.

The only 'education' she cares about is what she is now entitled to from the state.
    Well she clearly doesn't want that to happen if she's getting an education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I find that highly offensive and completely untrue. It is also a gross generalisation about all single parents.

Any parent who abandons their child and lets the state take care of it is lacking in something...

It is not a generalisation about all single parents, it is a generalisation about the parent that has abandoned their child

Yes I'm going to try for the Muslim school next year

Any parent who abandons their child and lets the state take care of it is lacking in something...

It is not a generalisation about all single parents, it is a generalisation about the parent that has abandoned their child

We weren't talking about anyone abandoning their child. We were talking about single parents who by the very nature of their name, are parenting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You replying to a quote specifically about single parents, the ones who are parenting on their own. Back pedal harder :rolleyes:

Yes I'm going to try for the Muslim school next year

Parents who feck off are not single parents...single parents are the ones actually raising the child the best they can in the face of ignorance like yours

We are all just a death or a fight away from being single parents, non of us can afford to be smug about it.

We weren't talking about anyone abandoning their child. We were talking about single parents who by the very nature of their name, are parenting.

Yes, but for every single parent managing alone, there is another parent of the same child not taking responsibility.

There are reasons why the parent is left to manage alone.

Ireland has such a limited view of providing education people seem to think any alternative to mainstream is laundries:rolleyes:

Pick your partner more wisely. Don't just have a baby because you want to. Think of the life you can offer the child. Personal responsibility and all that

Ah so you mean you were referring to an absent parent and not a single parent. Sure...... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I find it ironic that this girl could have gone and had an abortion and been welcomed by the school with open arms but because she did have the child and accept that responsibility, she was punished. Way to go Catholicism!! :(

This.
    It's a horrible situation for the girl to be in.

Ah so you mean you were referring to an absent parent and not a single parent. Sure...... :rolleyes:

You must of missed this bit..

There are reasons why the parent is left to manage alone.

oh and the bit about choosing a suitable partner

2 parents, can't just blame 1

Pick your partner more wisely. Don't just have a baby because you want to. Think of the life you can offer the child. Personal responsibility and all that

A lot of single parents didn't start out that way, they had their children in what they thought were loving, committed relationships but life happened.

Things aren't always black and white.

You must of missed this bit..

oh and the bit about choosing a suitable partner

2 parents, can't just blame 1

Where was the reference to the absent parent in the original comment?
    The one where you said single parents were lacking in oh so many ways?

eviltwin wrote: »
    A lot of single parents didn't start out that way, they had their children in what they thought were loving, committed relationships but life happened.

Things aren't always black and white.

Things aren't always black and white...very true

But does this excuse the state having to pick up the pieces?

Surely if you are mature enough to have a child you should be mature enough to provide for it

Even if you're not in a relationship, both still have a duty to the child. Was the state in the bed too??

Surely if you are mature enough to have a child you should be mature enough to provide for it

Even if you're not in a relationship, both still have a duty to the child. Was the state in the bed too??

Sigh. Haven't I pointed out that not all single parents are on welfare. In fact, the majority aren't. Would you ever head off and educate yourself about single parents and then come back because it's quite difficult to listen to the same (inaccurate) points being spewed over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You can pick the perfect partner but **** happens, people separate and women become single mothers.
    What about if your partner dies? is this type of single mother ok with you?

Where was the reference to the absent parent in the original comment?
    The one where you said single parents were lacking in oh so many ways?

Yes. Unable to choose a suitable partner

Choosing a person who will run, instead of facing their responsibilities and all the 'accidents' with the contraception:rolleyes:

Yes. Unable to choose a suitable partner

Choosing a person who will run, instead of facing their responsibilities and all the 'accidents' with the contraception:rolleyes:

Ok, oh wise one. Can I borrow your crystal ball please?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

In the context of this story the girl in question is trying to get her life back on track. Surely that is a good thing? She is only 16, she should remain in school and do her exams, go to college and get a job. Same with the dad. The better both of them do in school the less chance they have of being a drain on the state.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement