Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Only getting to this now!

Jets v Texans December 15:

Value here as our 2 tickets cost $29 total and with the game saturday afternoon it still gave us time to make the fight later in the Garden!

We arrived to find the crowd in a merry condition for the most part on what was a mild day as we made our way to better seats behind the goal! First half highlight was Darnold to Anderson for a TD in the second quarter:

D0-BD678-B-AE60-467-B-B352-306638-F1-AF41.jpg

Following another Darnold pass in the third quarter the Jets were right back in it but unfortuantely normally reliable Myers missed the two conversions. This is mind blowing to me to miss these are as good as free points. How can you miss at this level??? Anyway the game highlight was to come with McGuire getting in for a TD few would normally see with seemingly the whole squad shoving him over the line which sparked mass celebrations! However a Texans TD with over 2 minutes left put a huge dampener on proceedings but yet I still felt this was winnable. But unfortunately JJ Watt wasnt allowing a comeback sacking Darnold for what was a big loss.

No doubting the Jets had this game and were in control but good teams do not let leads like this go. In what was yet another very disappointing loss highlights were Darnold being definitely the franchise QB that has been long wanted. Given his age his poise is fantastic as he is mobile and accurate under pressure. His pass to Anderson was quality. If he can manage the production and numbers of Watson in his second season we can look forward further to better times.

Despite being sacked six times Watson has to be one of the best out there. His numbers in only his second season are phenomenal and they can outperform the Colts tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Interested to know who everyone likes in the Jets coaching search. No obvious standout for me but I think Kliff Kingsbury would be an exciting hire. Not sure how good he will be but he definitely has a high ceiling. He will need to use the run game more in the nfl than he does in college. A lot of Jets commentators are very against Mike McCarthy as they think he has failed to adapt or be flexible in the modern nfl. It is hard to argue with a super bowl winning coach but when you realise he only won one with Aaron Rogers then you start to question him.

Got that Texans prediction wrong!

Anyway back up for the "holidays" gave me an opportunity to see the fixture I was looking forward to since the fixtures came out:

Jets v Packers December 23:

No surprise that these tickets were more expensive with the cheapest at $52 but worth every cent for what was a wild game and my first overtime extravaganza!

Got to Penn Station just after 12 to find that because of track work the next train wasn't until 1.10 so missed the first hour of the game! Arriving with the Jets up 21-7 gave hope that this last home game could be fruitful. However the Packers, cheered on by a huge following, got in for a TD and a field goal to make it 21-17 at half time.

Third quarter Darnold came into his own with 2 TDs and Jets 15 points ahead at end of third. But Rodgers dominated in the fourth running in himself twice and inevitably throwing the winning TD.

Second game running Jets blew it and the amount of penalties conceded actually set a franchise record so Bowles had to go. Based on his record he cannot complain or blame officiating. Facts are this season was 4-12 which is his worst record and obviously with no improvements. So moving on with a franchise QB and a new head coach next season has to be better.

But a privilege to be there to see these 2 quality QBs in action.

2-CF30519-1-A97-409-E-B5-A7-27-F41-A3-EA255.jpg

AF870578-AD1-F-487-E-B385-8-DCB8806-E104.jpg

BFF60731-DBEB-4-F67-ACD0-B5-E261-C9-DE2-D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Interested to know who everyone likes in the Jets coaching search. No obvious standout for me but I think Kliff Kingsbury would be an exciting hire. Not sure how good he will be but he definitely has a high ceiling. He will need to use the run game more in the nfl than he does in college. A lot of Jets commentators are very against Mike McCarthy as they think he has failed to adapt or be flexible in the modern nfl. It is hard to argue with a super bowl winning coach but when you realise he only won one with Aaron Rogers then you start to question him.

I dont have enough knowledge to be saying which coach would be the best hire. I think alot of fans want to go with one of the younger offensive minded coaches and hope they're the next Shanahan/McVay which would be a lot easier said than done.
    I wouldnt be impressed with McCarthy, as you said he seems very set in his ways and you'd be hoping he would have had some more success with one of the best QBs around! I'd also be very wary of the coordinators he'd be bringing in with him, I've no interest in seeing Mcadoo/Philbin or Pettine/Capers coming to New York

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    But a privilege to be there to see these 2 quality QBs in action.

How did Darnold look? One sees more in person than on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Only getting to this now!

Jets v Texans December 15:

Value here as our 2 tickets cost $29 total and with the game saturday afternoon it still gave us time to make the fight later in the Garden!

We arrived to find the crowd in a merry condition for the most part on what was a mild day as we made our way to better seats behind the goal! First half highlight was Darnold to Anderson for a TD in the second quarter:

D0-BD678-B-AE60-467-B-B352-306638-F1-AF41.jpg

Following another Darnold pass in the third quarter the Jets were right back in it but unfortuantely normally reliable Myers missed the two conversions. This is mind blowing to me to miss these are as good as free points. How can you miss at this level??? Anyway the game highlight was to come with McGuire getting in for a TD few would normally see with seemingly the whole squad shoving him over the line which sparked mass celebrations! However a Texans TD with over 2 minutes left put a huge dampener on proceedings but yet I still felt this was winnable. But unfortunately JJ Watt wasnt allowing a comeback sacking Darnold for what was a big loss.

No doubting the Jets had this game and were in control but good teams do not let leads like this go. In what was yet another very disappointing loss highlights were Darnold being definitely the franchise QB that has been long wanted. Given his age his poise is fantastic as he is mobile and accurate under pressure. His pass to Anderson was quality. If he can manage the production and numbers of Watson in his second season we can look forward further to better times.

Despite being sacked six times Watson has to be one of the best out there. His numbers in only his second season are phenomenal and they can outperform the Colts tomorrow.

Was just above ya! Section 201A I think it was (under big screen, 5 rows from front of tier). Tickets were ~$70 but got them in the summer. Enjoyed the game despite the loss. Only took one in game photo:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeM8Eo2LuOtsieuo1IfiditVJxAQJXpa/view (can't seem to get the .jpg link from google drive??)

Didn't make it back in time for fight tho (Katies bout anyway), spent a while queuing for the bus back to Port Authority and then straight for food but boxing wasn't on any TV.

Lesson learned from last year; bring your passport if you want beer! Driving licence didn't cut it at MetLife. Managed to get three pints all together.

Lessons learned this time: Even with passport you have to fill out a form, which they ask for your passport number, expiry etc. and then you can only purchase beer from that stall alone anytime you want one. Have to fill it out again if you want a different type of beer. Where they came up with this rule for non-US people I do not know!? I didn't fill in correct details on form and my friend questioned what was done with them and was told they would be shredded.

Also they stop selling beer just after half time??!!! WTF?!

Anyway, the day didn't evolve around pints but crazy the hoops you have to jump through to get a pint! :D

Waiting for the schedule to come out to plan another trip over, looking like late September/early October at this stage and keeping fingers crossed we get the Jags in London!

Jets hire Adam Gase, ex-Dolphins HC as the new HC. Good luck, dude.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25724125/adam-gase-expected-hired-new-york-jets-head-coach

• Advertisement

Can't say I'd be a fan of that, he was basically ran out of Miami. Statistically there were 3 worse offensences than the Jets and Miami happened to be one of them!
    Apparently they were all set to hire Rhule but Macc in his infinite wisdom wouldnt allow him to form his own coaching staff, so he declined and you couldn't blame him, given the last hire Macc made was Jeremy ****in Bates!!

Looks like a horrible hire by the Jets. It feels like the talent evaluation problems in the front office include coaches as well as players. The whole story with Rhule stinks. How can you trust him to be HC and not let him pick his staff! Unfortunately we have a temporary owner out of his depth listening to a GM out of his depth picking a coach who coached a worse offence than the Jets had last year. We have officially turned into the Browns and even they have started to turn things around. Somehow I hope Sams talent and all the free agent money is not squandered. I'm not hopeful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I don't think Gase got a fair run with the Dolphins, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a good coach. However, I don't like the Jets' roster too much, and I think he is a divisive character, who may struggle to knit a team together when results are adverse. Miami should have given him another year, I think.

Miami as a franchise isn't any better than the Jets in their history. Had possibly the greatest QB of all time in Marino, didn't win the SB (though they were up against a legendary team at the height of its power.)

But, since those glory years, nothing. And, they too can't find a persistent long-term QB answer. But, maybe with Darnold, the Jets finally have that and the rest will fall into place.

Personally, he'd have to be pretty darn awful to be as bad as some of his predecessors. Bowles seemed to be in over his head. Idzlik was a disaster draft-wise, but the Jets seem to have a good core. Maybe hitting on a few FA's for a change and a couple draft pieces, it'll be an improvement. I don't buy this locker-room stuff, when the team's winning, you don't hear that. It's the losing that causes it, everyone has an answer for the problems, but it comes down to, play better on every play.

Anyway, it's January, I'll give the coach the benefit of the doubt at least till the season starts :) I

• Registered Users Posts: 36,142 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Terrible appointment.

Igotadose wrote: »
    How did Darnold look? One sees more in person than on TV.

Composed and was getting positive help consistently from McCown.

L.S.F wrote: »
    Was just above ya! Section 201A I think it was (under big screen, 5 rows from front of tier). Tickets were ~$70 but got them in the summer. Enjoyed the game despite the loss. Only took one in game photo:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeM8Eo2LuOtsieuo1IfiditVJxAQJXpa/view (can't seem to get the .jpg link from google drive??)

Didn't make it back in time for fight tho (Katies bout anyway), spent a while queuing for the bus back to Port Authority and then straight for food but boxing wasn't on any TV.

Lesson learned from last year; bring your passport if you want beer! Driving licence didn't cut it at MetLife. Managed to get three pints all together.

Lessons learned this time: Even with passport you have to fill out a form, which they ask for your passport number, expiry etc. and then you can only purchase beer from that stall alone anytime you want one. Have to fill it out again if you want a different type of beer. Where they came up with this rule for non-US people I do not know!? I didn't fill in correct details on form and my friend questioned what was done with them and was told they would be shredded.

Also they stop selling beer just after half time??!!! WTF?!

Anyway, the day didn't evolve around pints but crazy the hoops you have to jump through to get a pint! :D

Waiting for the schedule to come out to plan another trip over, looking like late September/early October at this stage and keeping fingers crossed we get the Jags in London!

Glad you enjoyed it. Tend not to drink at these games as prices are outrageous but anyway have local ID if needs be!

The train queues move a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Either it's the experience guy or the college guy who is the maveric. Neither might work out but it could be fun. Just not a Dolphin's reject... What did he do to deserve this.

Decided to listen to the turnonthejets podcasts about the Gase hire on the way home. More depressed than ever. He seems to have been third choice. There seems to be no justification for the hire except for a phone call from Peyton Manning. My biggest concern is that front line free agents won't come to the Jets because of him. I hope all are proven wrong but as the saying goes the numbers don't lie and don't look at Gases numbers unless you want to depress yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Decided to listen to the turnonthejets podcasts about the Gase hire on the way home. More depressed than ever. He seems to have been third choice. There seems to be no justification for the hire except for a phone call from Peyton Manning. My biggest concern is that front line free agents won't come to the Jets because of him. I hope all are proven wrong but as the saying goes the numbers don't lie and don't look at Gases numbers unless you want to depress yourself.

Big fan of Joe Caporsoso

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    Big fan of Joe Caporsoso

Like the site and eventhough he is sometimes a bit negative in this case he goes deep into the numbers to analyse Gase. He also debunks some of the arguments being made that Gase is some kind of QB whisperer and offensive genius. The evidence is just not there to support this theory.

News is that we might get Greg Williams as defensive coordinator. At least the D should have some fire!!

Like the site and eventhough he is sometimes a bit negative in this case he goes deep into the numbers to analyse Gase. He also debunks some of the arguments being made that Gase is some kind of QB whisperer and offensive genius. The evidence is just not there to support this theory.

News is that we might get Greg Williams as defensive coordinator. At least the D should have some fire!!

The NY media would have a field day with Gase and Williams in town!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

The way I look at it, he wasn't given a fair crack in Miami. I think there's a lot to be said for taking a coach after he's made his mistakes in his first HC role.

D9Male wrote: »
    The way I look at it, he wasn't given a fair crack in Miami. I think there's a lot to be said for taking a coach after he's made his mistakes in his first HC role.

You will find that most coaches who fail on their first HC job do better after a few years back as a coordinater. There is no precedent for a coach who was hired straight away to a new HC job succeeding. Again the numbers don't lie. Any current player who has spoken up for him has the same agent. Hopefully he changes his OC but he he brings the same OC from Miami it shows he has learned nothing. There seems to be a major propoganda effort by the Jets organisation on social media today and yesterday and it seems to be working.

Gase had his press conference. The NY post ran what, in my opinion, is one of the worst photos of, well, anyone, ever, in their article covering it.

iwjkeh.jpg

Apparently his eyes are a meme and have their own twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/Crazy_Gase_Eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Can see why he normally wears a baseball cap low on his head

I'd be OK with that statement if his team had won more than 7 games!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,142 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So the Gase / Darnold era can commence. :o

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So the Gase / Darnold era can commence. :o

It'll be interesting to see what staff he brings in or how many of the current group will be held on to. I definitely want the ST coach to hang around, his group constantly performed well
    Whoever they bring in as DC is basically going to be a head coach cause Gase pretty much said he wants nothing to do with th defense!

Advertisement